1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bosses buffs additional view

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CauTion, Dec 6, 2023.

1. CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    3:18 PM
    Thief
    Siege
    pretty hard follow the buffs behind all the dmg
    is it possible to make something like that ?
    [​IMG]>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 23
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    8:18 AM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
  3. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:18 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Yes please!!

and if is possible, something similar to our debuffs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    6:18 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Oh so if you're sealed for example you see an icon?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    One of my runners for cwkpq is an unwashed hero with around 11-13k hp. This would be huge for him to know when warrior buffs and he needs to be a little more careful

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    yeah, something like it, when a boss debuff you much is hard to see

• Like Like x 1
  7. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I don't know if it's better to make a separate thread, but I took the opportunity to say a point of view here and give a bump, in dunas 1 on the right platform it's really bad to see, I believe the suggestion goes from encounter with this IMG-20231210-WA0025.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    That exact reason got me killed in HT once lol. Hitting left head, saw weakness so I used acp, but it didn't actually work. Left head cancelled so I went to jump onto the little platform, walked right into left head lol. 12 HT are hard

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    Thief
    Siege
    Bumb

10. OP
    OP
    CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    Thief
    Siege
    :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    Thief
    Siege
    How does it make sense that serious suggestions are pushed aside while nonsense gets an immediate response

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    2:18 PM
    Moderator Post
    Actually thanks for the bump, I forgot to answer this one.

This concept goes in pair with the suggestion for boss health % being added as a value next to the icon/bar, which I can't find the link of at the moment.
    Ideally, I like both, though I won't mark them as accepted as they haven't been properly discussed yet.

But an issue with a debuffs list like this is that it wouldn't work properly for bosses that share one health bar across multiple parts, like HT or PB. I'm not sure what would be the best way to handle that.

13. OP
    OP
    CauTion

CauTion Master Chronos

Nov 5, 2019
    Israel
    Thief
    Siege
    Thanks for the answer , I think in those specific places they can even be very helpful with only HT prehead or only PB main body, but the main emphasis will be on NT .
    or is it possible to prioritize the buffs that will be above the damage should be nice too

14. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/qol-percentage-number-for-boss-hp.50536/

Personally very much dislike the % on boss hp as it removes some of the mystique and along with it player skill (or knowledge) expression. For me it will make boss runs stale more quickly than they currently become.

Being able to toggle it off doesn't really help because purposefully handicapping yourself for better game design never works out in the long run.

OP suggestion is great though and while we are at it a separate row for player debuffs (under player buffs) would be great too as well as a higher positioning for damage taken lines during PB as they obstruct the view quite alot there.

Anyways GL with hp challenges implementation.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    5:18 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I kind of personally disagree. Hiding information I think only handicaps inexperienced players. Knowing what % hp a boss is at is just something that comes with experience and doesn't really indicate much about overall player skill, at least imo. I'd much rather see clear information that players can respond and react to, like casting holy shield vs. sed animations. To me that feels much more fair across all levels of play and is a better indicator of player skill rather than hiding information and forcing the player to use their best judgement to guess.

Hiding information punishes newer and inexperienced players much more heavily than veterans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Exactly, you become more efficient the more you run something (as long as you're paying attention).

What's fun about following a flowchart and having little to improve?

17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    To me the fun part is proper execution and improving on being able to actually do things things you're supposed to do, not secret esoteric knowledge. That being said, I'll admit the gameplay for ML is so incredibly simple and straightforward that execution is usually trivial, although I don't think anyone has ever had actual "perfect" gameplay.

You could argue following a flowchart is an oversimplification of any game in all of existence, tbh. I don't really see that as a negative thing.

18. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    Would you be in favour of revealing boss skill cooldown timers, also in favour of providing more information to the player?

19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Absolutely yes. All of this is stuff that's in WoW and I think WoW PvE in general is fantastic. Telegraphed attacks, % display on Boss HP, and timers on abilities are all standard procedure but the content is still both difficult and fun.

That being said the base gameplay for both games is wildly different so I'm not entirely convinced you can replicate the same feeling here. Plus it's very not old school maple. Still, I think giving players information is usually a positive thing and obfuscation is usually a bad thing. Player skill shouldn't be overly reliant on guesswork, imo, and being given warning and the ability to respond to dangerous things feels fair, especially in a game where death is usually quite punishing (death in ML is extraordinarily more punishing than in WoW and yet death is also far, far easier to incur)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  20. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    Interesting, seems like a very different game design philosophy.

It seems a little reductive however to call it guesswork when everything is still relatively well telegraphed in this game and generally speaking, damage outputs are predictable and measurable for each character.

Anyway, it's hard to have a strong opinion about this either way when maple gameplay is sorely lacking complexity regardless, as you stated previously.

• Like Like x 1