1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make selling maps a bannable offence

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mantouks, Jun 24, 2020.

1. mantouks

mantouks Slime

Oct 10, 2015
    Female
    Singapore
    2:40 AM
    debs|derps|soleus
    Bishop
    SweetDream
    As title states, make selling maps a bannable offence would serve enough deterrence for players trying to pull that stunt.

It sucks enough that some maps are hard to find and people have to camp for it, and it's fine if you're passing map-ownership to a friend but profiteering from it is just wrong.

I personally don't grind/leech in 5-6, skeles, gs whatever maps in hot demand but there are so many smegas trying to sell maps and I believe many would agree that it's wrong.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  2. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    2:40 PM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I disagree, because I don’t think banning map-selling would have any positive effects.

I’m going to break my argument into two cases: (1) maps that are grind spots and leech spots, like gs2; and (2) maps that are leech spots, like ulu2. The assumption I will be making is that people who buy maps are leech sellers.

(1) for maps with grinders and leechers, availability is the biggest complaint. People who go to gs2 to grind get upset when they cc around and see mages using their ultimates. But if you were to impede on their ability to sell, for example by making it harder for them to buy maps to secure a leech spot, then what happens to the people who would have been involved in the leech?
    - 2 leech buyers go grind on their own. So they end up taking a map anyways, or worse, taking up 2 maps; it’s not uncommon to see people grinding alone at gs2.
    - Leech buyers who are heavily washing or very weak are less likely to find leech, making their lives harder
    - That low level bishop just trying to make a living has to spend even more time finding a map. And if I were them, I would be more inclined to camp channels, waiting for some poor grinder to slip up by repotting or taking a long poop

So all the relevant parties (leech seller, leech buyer, normal grinder) are negatively affected.

(2) for maps with leechers only, securing the map is just the cost of doing business. Time really is money for a leecher; spending 1h trying to find a map costs 10x more than just buying it.

If you wanted to be even smarter, at the end of your leech, you could just sell the map. In effect you would have zero cost, and as a bonus to the leech economy, this minimizes the map’s downtime—i.e., we optimize the amount produced (leech sold) from the resource (the map). In theory this map-selling mechanism could have possibly boosted leech supply and led to lower leech prices for buyers (note though, this is just a theoretical claim that is not verifiable).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    11:40 AM
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    It seems like both points cater to leech. What about people who grind and can’t afford to leech or buy maps, or decide that its better to invest their mesos into equips and scrolling as opposed to leech? I think for new players, it’s hard to justify 5m to grind, especially with the possibility of DCing and losing a map. I think it’s important to also consider that 5m to those new players is more significant than* to older players like you and I.

*edit: a word

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    The grinders are only involved in case (1), and my argument for why they will be negatively impacted/not impacted is that having less leech sold will have no effect on the availability of maps for grinders. The people who would have bought leech will just grind instead, possibly taking up 2 maps instead of 1.

5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I agree that selling maps is lame, but I heavily disagree with making this a bannable offense. Just because something is lame doesn't mean you should make it bannable.

There are a lot of people that think selling leech is lame, so should we ban selling leech?

6. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Neither map ownership nor the trading of it harms anyone so I see absolutely no reason why it should be bannable.

7. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    7:40 PM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Find less meta maps to grind ,(or sell leech if you are a filthy mage).

There is plenty of space in ML to get exp at reasonable rates without having to buy a map.

8. OP
    OP
    mantouks

mantouks Slime

Oct 10, 2015
    Female
    Singapore
    debs|derps|soleus
    Bishop
    SweetDream
    In case 1:

For grinders, there are always other map available to grind (mp3??) even if they are washing. Like someone mentioned earlier, it wouldn't make sense for them to pay to get a map to grind or leech (since they will need to pay more on top of leech cost). Also, assuming they are grinding because they can't afford leech, then there's no way they can afford to buy a map which can be gone while they "repot or take a long shit". Nobody should be paying to get a map. Period.

For the leecher, finding maps is just part of the leeching game. The fact that some of them have to pay for maps just minus their profits anyway. Imagine having to pay 5m for a map, getting 14m for 2h of split leech somewhere and nobody buys your map after. That's 9m in profits, in this scenario, when it could have been 14m. Not to mention people hogging maps just to try to sell them. Imagine holding a map for 1-2h after you're done leeching just to extort money from the next leecher/grinder that comes into the map. That's profiteering and hence should be an offence. If GMs make this a offence, nobody gets to sell their maps and will actually leave when they're done so someone else can use it without having to pay for it.

tdlr: For the grinder, having to pay for maps, adds on to their burden especially when they are unfunded and cannot afford leech. For leechers, paying for a map results in lower profits when they could have gotten maps for free, when people leave the map rather than sell them.

In case 2:

I can see how this is "cost of business", but I can't say I agree with it. It is incredibly selfish imo, and hurts other leechers. Also, as a leecher, you won't just log in and expect buyers and maps lined up for you to sell leech. It's all part of the leech game. Even if you wanted to buy a map, someone has to be done with it, and you probably will still be camping and surfing waiting for one to be available anyway. Imagine just asking them when they'll be done and then asking mapowner if you could get the map after he/she is done rather than having mapowner hold map until someone comes by and yoink the map for 5m.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    mantouks

mantouks Slime

Oct 10, 2015
    Female
    Singapore
    debs|derps|soleus
    Bishop
    SweetDream
    There's nothing wrong with map ownership or passing it to a friend or rando that needs it. It irks me to see that people have to pay for something that is free for all. It definitely hurts players who can't afford to pay for maps and selfish af to be profiteering off unfunded players or low level leechers who are likely new players on the server.

I'm only asking for it to be a bannable offence so it serves as a strong enough deterrence. It doesn't need to be like 7 days ban straight up, but needs to be a serious enough punishment so people don't do it and/or gets called out for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    3:40 AM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Selling maps are in bad taste that i too do not enjoy seeing but i disagree that it warrants the need for suspensions, the lack of graciousness should not be compared with the same severity as abuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    TLDR at the bottom.

I don't think my argument is getting across because this is not a response to my argument. I'll try to improve the wording.

For maps that are frequented by leechers and grinders ("case 1"), I'm assuming here that grinders do not pay to get maps (I think we can all agree that for most, that's a poor way to spend your money). So proceed for now with the idea in mind that leech sellers are the ones buying and selling maps.

Let's say we have ten level 60 characters who can train at GS2, eight GS2 maps, and one leech seller that bought a map and is holding it to sell leech. Let's also say that of the ten level 60 characters,
    - Two people have some money to spend and decide to buy leech
    - Seven people each found a map to train in
    - One person is looking around but can't find a map, as one channel has a leech seller and the other seven have people training

Now suppose we ban buying/selling of maps, and that as a result, the leech seller couldn't get a map. For the ten level 60 characters,
    - The seven people who each had a map are still training
    - The two who wanted to buy leech now join the one who was looking for a map. Now those three fight for the one remaining map.
    - One of those three will get the last map
    - Two people are left without a map

Overall, we are worse off with the map selling ban, as we now have two people who can't find a map instead of just one. What's more, is that the leech seller is worse off as they've lost their source of income. This might make them want to steal a map from one of the eight people who are training.

You could argue that maybe those two people will train together, but we are still no better off than without the map selling ban. Or, you could argue that the leecher still manages to get a map, so nothing has changed and we are no better off.

So overall, there is no positive effect, only negative/zero effect.

If we relax the assumption that only leechers are buying/selling maps, and assume grinders might want to buy/sell as well, then you could say that grinders also have a source of revenue from selling maps once they're done training. For buying maps, I expect almost all grinders will not want to buy maps, unless they're heavily funded. I expect the argument against this notion is that people with more mesos have an easier time, but I don't think that's an issue because that's how everything works in this game.

You mention that leechers make less profits by buying maps, but you're not factoring in the opportunity cost here. If I can buy a map right away for 5m, then the cost is 5m. If instead I have to spend an hour trying to find a map where I earn 15m/hour from leeching, then the cost includes my time waste, which is worth 15m.

Whenever I've tried asking people if they're going to leave the map anytime soon, 9 times out of 10 they say no. I know many people who would answer no even though they don't actually have plans to sell leech there, and actually hold the map for hours while they go cook or do boss runs. By having a buying/selling system in place, you incentivize people to not hold maps for hours while not even using them.

Regarding the risk of paying but losing the map during the trade, no one will be willing to buy a map if the price doesn't reflect the risk of the sale not going through. But tbh, if you know what you're doing, you're not even going to lose the map to a map sniper in the first place.

TL;DR: just.. what Akash said. If you think it's shitty or too costly to buy/sell maps, then don't. Just like with 4th job advancement, some people will opt for waiting around for Manon & Griffey for free while some people buy the 10m scroll because they place more value on the time saved. My argument shows that there is no improvement to map availability when you ban map-selling (and that it's possible maps become less available), so I don't see why we can't let people choose whether they want to engage in map selling or not.

12. vampiredio

vampiredio Brown Teddy

May 22, 2019
    Washington
    cuppyteeth
    Buccaneer
    I don't see how making it a bannable offense would be helpful, but I agree that map selling sets a precedent that you could theoretically hoard maps for the expressed purpose of selling them to those who just want to train.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Just because it irks you doesn't mean that it should be bannable, or even necessarily considered wrong. Morals changed throughout the past and will continue to change into the future.

14. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    First bold
    Life happens.

Second bold
    Hogging maps? They're using it.

Underlined text.
    Whats wrong with that? Its their map.

Third bold
    Why make it a bannable offense? People in GMS, MSEA, KMS, JMS- any Maple Story server sell maps too.

TL;DL bold
    No? If they hold the map, they get profit, they sell leech or the map its going to help them in the long run.

case 2 First bold
    It doesn't hurt other leechers, mesos go around to come around.

case 2 Second bold
    Thats entirely up to the person that was mapowner, to give it for free or to sell it, and its up to the new mapowner to do what they want with that map because they're the owner..

I'm sort of a new player here myself, but everything that you said here I decline.

15. OP
    OP
    mantouks

mantouks Slime

Oct 10, 2015
    Female
    Singapore
    debs|derps|soleus
    Bishop
    SweetDream
    Lots of ways this scenario will pan out tbh. You're assuming that the two of them are leech buyers, and 1 of them a "grinder". Let's say that's true, and the last map is held by the leech seller who is done leeching for the day is currently holding the map to sell it. The three of them will then have to "bid" for the map, unless ofc only 1 is willing to buy it for whichever reason. In this situation, imagine being the 1 person that has been surfing the channels to look for map (gonna name this guy "poor dude") is actually waiting for the leech to end to take over the map loses the bid/doesn't have money to pay for the map. Tell me how this doesn't have negative effects again. Sure, they can also all go share a mp3 map but let's not pretend people don't get shortchanged.

Also, sure, the previous leecher may sell the map to another leecher, and the two who wants to buy leech partners up to get leech from the new leech seller. Guess what, poor dude that's been waiting for map still doesn't get map even after waiting for the previous leecher to be done.

Consider the case where selling maps is prohibited. Leecher leaves after leech is done. If leech buyers are afk, poor dude gets the map. If leech buyers are not afk, and managed to get map-ownership because poor dude was afk or they killed faster, then it's all fair game. No transactions here, it's all @mapowner. If said leech buyers didn't want to grind and was strictly looking to buy leech, they may smega for a leecher but that's subjected to availability as well. If in the instance they didn't manage to find a leecher and decides to leave, poor dude may still get the map.

There's a lot of 'if's in these situations. As mentioned earlier, people wanting to buy leech may not always find a seller every time they log on, vice versa for leechers trying to sell leech.

Even if you wanted to buy maps, they have to be available (i.e. someone happens to be done with it) when you want to sell leech. If all 8 channels are filled with leechers, how are you gonna buy your way out? Unless you're telling me you spend all your time in game selling leech, you can always check for maps in intervals or camp a channel etc etc and do something else for the time being and not have to pay for a map.

There are also other maps that grinders, even leechers can go to, it really depends on how desperate the player is. Can't sell leech at gs2? Try WR or WS?

Tbh, after reading your replies, I feel strongly that selling maps benefits leechers more than anything. Again, that's profiteering. Irl example for you will be people hoarding medical supplies and selling them at marked up prices to make profits off of other people needing those medical supplies. Now, replace "medical supplies" with "maps".

How true is this? I think this is slightly irrelevant because anyone who comes into the map can try to do the same thing. Also, those 8 people training can always ask those trying to snipe to cc since they are mapowner. If map gets stolen, it will only be because those training are afk or had to leave map. In which case, they will expect that they won't have map-ownership.

I concede to this point, but also, profiteering. If he got the map for free (as it should be), and then makes a profit from another player, then it is unfair for the map buyer since maps are supposed to be free. Prohibiting the sale of maps will then make maps free for all and therefore fair. No one makes profit or suffer losses from map ownership.

Again, there's always going to be time wasted. You don't always get what you want. I understand trying to maximize your time to sell leech, but there are also others who want maps and want to maximize their time. Sure, they can choose to buy maps, but they won't need to, if maps are not sellable.

Or, making map selling bannable so they leave or pass it to someone who mentioned wanting to use the map.

Tbh, nothing wrong with map sniping, it's a dick move but also, if you're not afk you won't lose map.

All in all, I really don't see how this benefits anyone else other than opportunistic profiteers. In your argument, I can see how it seems to benefit leechers more. I'm not against leeching, but I would say prohibiting map selling would level the playing field a bit more.

Firstly, this is a suggestion looking to improve player experience. It's totally fine if you disagree, but there are also quite a number of people who agree.

It irks me, yes, but doesn't affect me too much, and I'm not making this suggestion to benefit myself. Like I mentioned previously, it doesn't have to be a ban, just enough punishment to serve as a deterrence i.e. people won't actively try to do it.

I agree that moral standards change but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve it. Back in the days, slavery was normal, and it nobody spoke up about it, nothing will be done to change it.

What I think is wrong with map selling is that players are putting a price on the right to use maps. Maps are like public benches, free for all to use. You can occupy the entire bench and put your bag beside you etc etc or you can choose to share.

Does it make sense for you to ask someone to pay you so they can sit on the bench when you leave? Would it be fair if you had to pay an individual for something that is free for the public's use?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    8:40 PM
    Beginner
    I wouldnt mind. You could just argue that it is advanced account sharing.
    Instead of straight up banning leeching I think it would be best to just tweak the party exp formula so that every member of a party would have to participate to gain exp.
    Although it would be a nice change I am worried it is too late at this point after 5 years of leeching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    4:40 AM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    These are my personal opinions on the issue of map selling. I feel that it sets a precedence that further motivates a certain demographic of players to find and monetize anything that can possibly be monetized. I value having a friendly and co-operative community but this sort of highly capitalistic mindset undermines it. If map selling is left as it is, I'm a bit concerned that this mindset might eventually lead us to a point where we start seeing people selling PQ maps, high-demand boss maps, or mass selling popular maps with mules as the norm.

Although with that said, I don't think nerfing maps or making map selling bannable are good solutions. Allowing a certain degree of autonomy in the market is important, as much as I dislike map selling. If possible I think we should consider other alternatives first.

Regarding the complaints that regular players can't afford to buy maps, but would rather wait than train at alternative maps. As many people have pointed out above, the alternatives aren't as bad as people (especially newcomers) think, but I can understand why they would think that way. This is largely an issue of misinformation, and maybe we can tackle that with an updated, more in-depth training guide. Although in some cases, the maps really are unbalanced. Perhaps we can also consider tweaking some things to make quests in those level ranges more rewarding exp-wise so people don't feel that much disadvantaged not training at those popular maps. Again, just my personal opinions. Thoughts?

I think it's great that we are having these discussions, and I certainly hope that we can keep having civil, in-depth debates and innovative suggestions on how we might tackle this issue.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lulinya

Lulinya Selkie Jr.

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    1:40 AM
    Lulynia
    Beginner, F/P Mage
    Better way: Mapowner last for 5 seconds since the last hit count on mob
    more fun for everyone

19. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    the best alternative is to find decent/semi-decent maps and request for it to be buffed to match the rates of the current meta maps

20. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    No one should own a map. The map should be shared and owned by every player.

Best way to solve all these map issues is to just remove map owner command.

We let the player decide the rules of map ownership and not be bound by legend's rules

Mapowner is un-nostalgic and prevents player fun toxic interactions. like Ksing, pushing bosses to another player and killing them. Sure it creates drama, but so does map sniping,selling,hogging.

it also solves many reporting issues and other problems that gm's will face.

• Agree Agree x 2