1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee vs Ranged.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Dec 24, 2022.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    1:36 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    The more factors you start trying to account for, the harder it is to even say there is a “gap”. Pink Bean is an easy way to compare classes at a level that all players can agree is, without question, “endgame”.

How do you account for the fact that Shadowers can level at an incredible rate starting level 122 at 7f, or the fact that they have by far the lowest pot costs in the game? How do you adjust for the fact that Shadowers have the potential for the fastest 3rd job in the game for attacker classes? Are these enough benefits to outweigh their (slightly) lower DPM in specific content? Shadower should outperform Archer in content like Zakum and Verga; is there even a “gap” if we start accounting for things like this?

2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Shads got their buffs in the nate changes and I think they're in a decent spot outside of HT (arm lock/anti-cleave/five-head meta is stupid and should have been addressed long ago). They're just probably under represented right now because gearing shads is an unpopular route and tends to cost more than other classes. IMO, more needs to be done to allow for more diverse 6-man HT comps as I feel like that is a cornerstone to class balance discussions.

The main problem I see with warriors is that they provide next to nothing but dps and they tend to do it worse than most other classes. They don't tank, pin, or aggro in PB. They don't even debuff or protect their party like they would in any other game, so their class identity is pretty fucked. At the moment, their only advantage is that they can cleave decently and they're easily washed/entry-level attacker classes, but with challenge system implementation, they'll be with left with basically nothing and relegated to being scarga/MoN sellers.

We could potentially see a DK resurgence solely out of a need for unwashed/challenge HP comps, but they're still bottom tier all around. I'm guessing DKs are first in line for dpm/meta relevant buffs as HB seems to be a central piece to the challenge HP rework, but I'd also like to see their effort-to-reward ratio for DPM be adjusted significantly. We've seen that with the last few warrior changes (panic rework, zerking changes), and I'm certain staff is aware of the potential problem of warrior buffs propelling a future footpedal multi-attacker meta.

IMO, changes I'd want implemented for melee classes are:
    • Heroes should have their panic range increased and normalized so they don't change based on swing/stab.
    • DKs need their hyperzerk damage increased significantly and should have their crusher horizontal range adjusted slightly to match their spear/long range play style.
    • Buccs should have their 'ranged' attack range be nerfed to be more melee-adjacent - reducing their dpm efficiency slightly.
    • Shad's nate should be changed so skillful dash dancing is incentivized (no footpedal nating).
    • Paladins are fine as they are and are currently my pick for best first class.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    4:36 AM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    The thing is is as much as you want to value exp, it has massive work arounds. 3rd job on shad is definitely fast, faster than other classes but 3rd job is a very small portion of the game and leeching already is very fast as well. Sure, lower pot costs are nice but NLs also have that as a pro. Also we need to take into account that this "damage gap" which I'd argue isn't that small and it is a a permanent one, things like exp are a limited need. 7f yields pretty decent results on ranged attackers as well with the exception of NLs and then again, you can also resort to bossing for a better exp/profit ratio. Also i'd value SE over Smoke.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    You can’t 7f on an Archer at 122 though.

If the only metric you want to use is effectiveness in combat and disregard things like meso efficiency and ability to farm exp, then it’s still difficult to claim the existence of a significant gap between Shads and other classes. What fights are Shads even back of the pack? CWKPQ, D2? Meanwhile they can perform at the same level or better than ranged in Zak, Verga, Nib, CB, Auf, Toad, BGA, and JC, and are pretty much required for 10-12 man HT.

Where exactly is the large dpm gap for Shads? Is it just because of CWKPQ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    For the first part of your statement you can't actually 7f at 122 on shadowers. At lvl 122, the max you could hit on bstep is 2 and the damage is disgustingly low. You'll get significantly better exp bombing or leeching. I'd argue if your shadower is well geared at 127 you could start getting decent results at 7F, before then it seems like a stretch.

Regarding the 2nd part of your argument, at this point we can go back and forth arguing in which of those bosses which class is better so unless either of us has any kind of hard evidence with DPMs and whatnot it's probably pointless. I'd like to think most people are under the perception that ranged are better in most of these bosses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Actually we do have a good amount of hard evidence if you draw from the DPM compilation thread as well as personal experience. My ~30b funded BM is consistently outperformed on a lot of the content I listed above by melee classes with less than half of that funding level, notably bosses with adds (Core Blaze, Zak, JC), bosses with cleave opportunities (the same bosses as well as HT, Auf), bosses with extremely high Wdef (Samurai, Toad, BGA) and bosses with spammy KB that requires constant repositioning (Toad, Samurai, PB body, Auf, etc). Hell I've even been whited at Verga by a Paladin with 30 less levels and less than 3b in funding. And before I get called out for it being a skill issue I've posted what I believe to be the fourth highest BM HT DPM45 in the server; it's not a skill issue, ranged just doesn't execute to their dummy DPM levels as well as melee does on a lot of fights. Sure I can white people with ease on dummy fights like Nameless, but there's plenty of other fights where the opposite is true.

People are under the perception that ranged is always better because they're ignorant and have never played a ranged attacker (and because NLs are fucking broken). Ranged really only shines in specific fights (notably PB, which again, is considered one of the most important fights in the game, and even then it's once again because NLs are broken)

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    5:36 AM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric
    Why are combo orbs dispelable tho? :/ (sad hero noises)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    After seeing spencil2spencil2 dpm test with panic + power strike (with fa) maybe a rework in fa speed goes nice to hero single target?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Honestly yeah would be a good QoL change to make them undispellable. Would make Heroes actually good in Auf too

10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I've wanted a Final Attack rework for awhile now, especially for Heroes as it could potentially play into combo orb regeneration and give some interesting niche roles with more frequent Panic and pinning capabilities. It would be pretty cool to see FA somehow work with 4th job skills as a pseudo crit - it'd help paladins break their 200k/attack ceiling too.

FA on hurricane would be pretty nutty as well, and I believe some other servers implemented something similar for their version of Bowmasters.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    so good to see skar throwing good ideas instead of memeing 100% of the time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    skar redemption era

milet vs zoom changes a man

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Quite honestly i did some digging and when i have a bit more time i'll compile some performances. in general though, we were arguing shad vs bm and the whole narrivate was turned into bm vs shad, hero and paladins instead of multiple 1vs1s. Paladins are definitely a very strong class, and it seems to me it was agreed upon to take it out of the conversation since no one thinks they are bad. Either way, from some of the dpms I saw I couldn't really see where shad outshines BM at all. I do agree with you heroes having better performances at some bosses but that was never something I denied. I don't claim to have an absolute truth, i'm just basing it on the data I found so far, I am open to all information given.

I'd also like to add that the issue with hero is greatly related to the content more so than with the class inherently. Their 3 target damage is out of the league and simply isn't validated. If Legends went down the route of czak and cht instead of NT (Which are both prebb bosses released 1 year after pb) i'm sure hero would be considered a much better class assuming the content was "worth doing". Shadowers inherently don't excel at either. Their single target damage is amongst the lowest, and their cleave damage is abysmal. All that to say that if eventually cleave content is included, the hero problem would greatly solve itself.

14. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    For this view point i like to see dpm datas...

15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Gurk’s Shad has me beat on PB, Toad, and Auf and puts out similar damage on CB although it’s worth noting that BM requires support from cleave in CB whereas a Shad does not. From what I can tell BM wins out in HT (at least on the higher end, there’s a lack of BMs that can consistently break 7m for whatever reason). I don’t have hard numbers for JC but I’d imagine Shad wins out there as well on average although BM can technically do more effective dpm with extremely lucky Mortal Blow procs?

BM should win out on dummy fights and anti-melee fights like Nameless and Dunas 2 and most area bosses.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Well to keep it short just from referencing the DPM compilation. Gurks shad at coreblaze 6.39m, his MM does 9.39m, at toad his shad does 6.71m (Ironically shads are supposed to excel here) there's posts of 179 BMs doing 7.02, 189 bms 8.00 and so on. For horntail i think this one isn't really up for debate, BMs clearly triumph. Aufheben we have the "S tier shad" doing 4.87m, gork on his MM doing 5.07. the list of the bosses goes on. I don't think his shad beats your BM.

17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Those BM posts are before the Wdef changes and are no longer valid. I would be impressed if a 180 BM could even pull 5m dpm on Toad atm.

MM outperforms BM in CB and Auf pretty handedly.

18. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Well in that case, we'd have to test out toad for updated numbers. Just from checking the entire compilation list it seemed like there was a big gap between MM and shad. I guess it comes down to how big is the gap between MM and BMs. I also saw him mention on general ml how a lower leveled BM beat his shad on PB while on perfect kanzir.

19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    A Gurk strength BM should be pulling around 6m dpm in Toad (wdef is about a 50% damage reduction for BMs). MM should win out due to Snipe ignoring Wdef.

CB BM will be pulling more than Shad but not significantly more, and depends heavily on RNG and cleave support so numbers will be highly variable.

Auf Shad is already performing at the same level as MM if you account for variance. Due to Auf’s DR being one of the most unforgiving in the game BM damage depends heavily on server ping, and many BMs are just not allowed to cane when DR is up (1 min timer)

20. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Honestly I do share the feeling that in recent times MM has gotten their niches more validated while BM has remained mostly the same (CB mob management, aufheben, pb snipe, toad wdef) and so on. I agree with your sentiment in that regard. I still feel with that being said that shadowers still underperform in most of the content we referenced.