1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee vs Ranged.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    1:44 AM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Disclaimer: Other users and i have shared some of our thoughts in others posts where this wasn't the main topic. I'm really curious what other players think about all this in a proper thread with it as the main topic. As an extra i'd like to exclude buccaneers since they kind of fit into both roles in a way. (And they are definitely not struggling). I'm leaving out aspects like "grinding speed" out of the discussion since i believe there's a lot of good alternatives for exp but not so much for dealing damage.

What i mean by melee vs ranged is the current mindset/state of the game where melee attackers are overall considered second class attackers and in some cases stepping stones to ranged attackers due to their innate higher hp and lower overall damage.

With that being said, i'd like to lay out my personal thoughts on the matter. Historically taking into account HP for class balancing has been succesful approach but as the game has advanced i'd argue it's not the case anymore. Hp washing presents players with the opportunity to wash any class to max hp while hp challenges gives each class an equalized amount to guarantee content participation per need. Between these two things i'd argue that balancing around HP becomes an obsolete concept.

Melee classes presents themselves as cleavers but in reality i'd argue there's no true content where cleavers "excel". To avoid going into detail these are some scenarios where melees are supposed to excel yet don't. HT, CWK (I wouldnt call it excel since you need ST as well) and in zak both have similar performances. Rest of the bosses are single target focused.

My proposed mindset would simply be balancing classes based on their damage and utility. Since buffing around only damage would be rather difficult, I believe focusing on each classes unique utility skill is a good approach. I'm sure these ideas could be controversial but i believe I provide good arguments in favor of this. Classes like Archers can dish out superior damage to melees while having within their kit SE, the strongest damage buff. Who's to say shads who have smoke (a less significant utility/buff) can't objectively have higher damage? The next paragraph is just some of the ideas on the main problem classes as far as im aware.

For the jack of no trades, master of none (shads) focusing on smoke would be my take. Making shads strong enough to merit a spot (if only smoke is buffed, it's smoke mule city) plus having smoke provide a significant buff whatever it may be (damage,crit, ied)

Heroes: Between adding uses to armor crash and buffing enrage to be party wide i'd say there would be more use for them (or making cleave content useful/valid)

Darks: Honestly no reason why darks shouldn't do damage as high as ranged attackers from an objective standpoint. High effort class and can't keep the damage uptime 100% (slippery slope since it cleaves).

I have a lot more ideas but i feel like i already ranted too much. I'm excited to see what the rest of the community thinks about this approach.

tldr: No reason to play melee, ranged is goated

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    10:44 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Paladins are disgustingly good in NT2 and I would absolutely say they excel there (at least in CB and Auf). Heroes have a lot of potential to shine if orbs weren’t dispelled but they still perform admirably in CB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    I do think that the difference between classes should be smaller. Let people play whatever class they want without having to worry whether they'll get to do content they want. I do like that some classes excel in some specific content, that shouldn't go away.

4. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Right. I also didnt mention pally, i think they are pretty valid.

5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    i would argue that auf is a boss where melee outshine range.

staff will probably release lionheart castle one day and make it melee favored as well.

melee is second class in everything except cwk and auf, but even second class characters can participate in and meaningfully contribute to boss clears.

there is even a paladin that pulls his own weight on 20 man pink bean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    Melee is already the best class. See Buccs, can wash 30k HP easily, very high damage and have extreme utility with Time Leap and si.

I think you need to re-consider your perspective.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    I think what you're really asking for is to buff the other Warriors and Shadowers.

8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    2:44 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    well, i think the better idea to buff a class is make if do more damage or self buff, your suggestion is not bad, but if you make the smoke for exame buff the other class then It more favorable to mule it than buff the real players

9. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    i did say leaving buccs out on my disclaimer, buccs are very strong.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    You might be right but the lhc part is a big if. CWK requires both so i wouldn't say they excel so it's fair content and i'd argue auf is an underdeveloped boss. I don't doubt ranged will eventually perform just as well. With that being said do you think it is fair and should remain this way? 1 content where they are equally important and auf where you just get your helm and be done.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    That is why for shads i proposed a mix of the 2. Buffing smoke only favors muling. If you buff damage to a decent level plus smoke shads would be brought in bosses the same way archers are, could be technically SE mules but good enough to just bring as dps. I would probably limit whatever buff smoke could give to an internal cd to avoid abusing it on mules

12. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    To me it seems like you didn't read my whole post and i don't blame you. First thing i said was to leave buccs out. I'd probably group paladin there since they perform very well in important content. Taking one class (buccs) and saying melee is in a good state seems like a generalization. Obviously bucc used to be very bad but custom buffs brought it to a very good state, i don't see why my perspective is bad when clearly some of the melee classes have no real content where they excel at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    11:44 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Buccaneer is a ranged class

• Agree Agree x 9
  14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Auf has been heavily modified on this server to SPECIFICALLY nerf range. I sincerely doubt NL/MM/BM will ever perform as well without significant balance changes to the boss.

You don't need to "excel" at anything. You just need to be passably decent, and if you take a look at the DPM threads, end game cleave characters output decent enough damage. The gap between you and the nightlord will always exist, and staff has already done many, many balance changes to lower this gap.

I don't think this is fair and it shouldn't be. Classes should have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, which is currently the case in ML. Is it fair that:
    melee barely need to spend any nx compared to range to survive the max damaging hit of bosses?
    melee can earn almost 50% more eph grinding at 7F than range?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Okay, i agree with the auf part maybe melees will always perform better. In terms of the NX part i really can't agree with that sentiment anymore. Sure it takes more NX but hp challenge is coming and for the average player the HP will be the same. If you decide to spend extra nx on a ranged class for luxury that's a choice.

In terms of the exp comment sure, melees can get more exp but so can ranged from doing higher damage on bosses. My point being EXP has a lot of workarounds, you arent just limited to 7f, while damage is a metric you can't work around. By exceling i mean pros and cons and i'd personally argue for shads heroes and darks there aren't as many pros as there should be to justify maining one objectively in my opinion.

16. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    I always thought its be cool if hero's rage buff give a small +5 (or whatever #) atk boost on top of cider/other pots. Then they'd be....more appreciated. I think any changes that promote more team play/interaction is cool. Like, OPQ gives a fairy buff when your team has one of each class, it's cute.

17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i very agree with it, rpg always need to be at least a bit unbalanced..
    look at post bb maple, all Jobs do everything..

18. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    Yes from game design perspective, meta changes are good for the game longetivity. I'm happy that maplelegends is not perfectly balanced and we are all having fun theorycrafting balances!

19. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I don't think rpgs need to be unbalanced (but it's okay if they are) and i don't think all jobs need to do everything. All im stating is that the gap being relatively big between melees and ranged doesn't make as much sense now as it did before. Making the damage higher or giving them desirable qualities would never dethrone the current DPS meta and would serve as validation for other classes. This also improves class variety while mantaining certain degree of optimization.

20. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    yes i understand and agree with this point of view