1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with early game gear

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by 123698lol, Jul 1, 2021.

1. 123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    3:26 AM
    Crossbowman
    I've never seriously played maplestory, have only ever really gotten to level 30-40 on gms back on v55-v63 era, and I'm noticing my crossbowman (whos level 22) is extremely weak compared to a lot of guys at my level. It feels really crappy and makes me think I chose the wrong class. Or I'm playing the game way incorrectly. With that being said, I think I just came into a lot of money (?) and I was wondering if there was a guide or something to show me what kind of gear I should be focusing towards, whether it be end game, mid game, early game, stuff that will help all classes or just one, what stats certain classes should be looking for... The possibilities seem endless. I haven't even really played these last couple days cause I've been thinking about optimization, risk/reward of gear, whether or not I'm getting SCAMMED for these items or not... Price general guideline guides would be nice to have somewhere!

tl;dr a guide to gearing and figuring out what's worth and not worth the investment.

2. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    11:26 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Well how much do you have to spend?

3. OP
    OP
    123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    Crossbowman
    I was more asking for just a general guide to be made by someone... more knowledgeable than myself, but I'm personally working with around 50mil because of some lucky maple box unboxings

4. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    6:26 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/the-comprehensive-gear-guide.35365/

If you're weak the first thing you invest in is an 8wa glove because that helps a lot. Also whenever you buy a new crossbow then use a bunch of 60%s on it or 100% if you're literally penniless. Make a 10 dex bathrobe using 100% overall for dex scrolls (purchaseable in kerning swamp).

If you ARE literally penniless, do quests that give good scrolls. https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/reformatted-valuable-scroll-quests.39452/ bunch of them available starting level 30.

Edit: I see you have 50m as a beginner. That's extremely lucky- I'd buy a 10wa glove (lasts you till HT levels) to start.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    Crossbowman
    I got myself a 10 dex bathrobe and a 9 att blue work glove for pretty cheap, but is there more I can do? I'm very low level still, but stuff like face accessories, rings... I feel kind of naked still

6. OP
    OP
    123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    Crossbowman
    Thanks for all the suggestions btw, felt like my last post came off as dismissive.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  7. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Buy a well scrolled maple crossbow, the level 35 one. For now you'll be fine with an attack glove and 10dex BR. You don't need high damage at this kind of giga-early stage in the game, just doing quests gets you levels.

If you really want a boost like NOW, get the standard level 25 crossbow and try to pass a 30% on it then a bunch of 60% scrolls. Crossbow scrolls are cheap, likely won't cost you more than 2m doing this.

You can also search FM for a black raggedy cape that has 2wa, those are really cheap

Face and eye accessories are very bad bang for your buck, wouldn't recommend you invest until later in the game. 50m sounds like a lot (and is a lot for a new player) but isn't enough to buy items in these slots that actually make a tangible difference. There are no rings at your level except event rings, which I recommend you try to get.

Not the worst idea to try scrolling some shoes for jump (those scrolls give dex), since a nicely done pair of shoes (maybe 5 dex to start) can last you till later in the game when you're scrolling serious shit. Can also try making your own earrings, 6-8 dex is a good attempt until you're ready to splurge 40m for a 10dex one later.

I recommend you save the remainder of your cash for buying level 43 maple crossbow, zakum helmet at level 50, and maple nishada crossbow at 64. Or leech if you eventually need to.

Sorry for the guerilla point-form style post. Just thinking through each slot as I type

• Like Like x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    Crossbowman
    Don't be sorry, it's greatly appreciated.

I got a maple crow with +3 dex, 66 w att, +9 acc, +8 speed
    and
    maple nishada with +90hp, 94 w att, +5 accuracy, +11 speed.
    I will look into the raggedy cape. I couldn't find any good maple crossbows that were much better than the maple crow I have.

9. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    You might not need to go maple crossbow. Crow is faster attack speed, which means it comepnsates for like a ~10-15wa difference

10. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Someone linked my gear guide earlier and I think the crossbow man section should be filled out. But let me know if there's any other sections you want! For the most part the advice given on this thread is excellent already

11. OP
    OP
    123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    Crossbowman
    Yeah, there is tons a great info in this thread already! I can't wait to log in and play some maple with my friendos. I saw your guide and it looks a little more higher level than what I was looking for but I definitely gleamed some good info off of it! Especially the all class section.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    I personally haven't played xbow myself but I would actually appreciate it if you wanted to friend me on discord later and tell me some early game stuff you went with! The guide is still in progress and i slowly add stuff over the months with help from lots of great players. So if you have suggestions on what to add there then it would be awesome. Good luck on your maple journey!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    For early game gears, there isn't much that you can buy to contribute to damage.
    As said earlier, 10dex bathrobe and 6~10wa glove are very good gear to start off with.
    I'm not familiar with crossbow, but you should get the fastest attack speed crossbow that you can come across that is between lvl 35~50 range, then scroll it as much as you can.

My personal take is, don't worry too much about early game gears, as you will outgrow them pretty easily. Just spend on what you can afford and move on, and soon u'll need something new :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    You could potentially also try to see if you can find some failed/junk dex earrings in FM, I don't think 4-6 dex really go for much and they're at least somewhat of a boost to your damage.

Just like with a few other suggestions in this thread, though, it'd only be a very temporary item and I don't personally think the damage boost is very necessary.

One boost that I would 110% vouch for is talking to Coke Bear (he's located in the main Victoria Island towns) and answering his quiz, he'll take you to Coke Town where you'll find a potion shop on the middle of the bottom floor. The store sells Coke Zero Pills for 3k each that give +15 w.att for 15 minutes. It's an absolute gamechanger and it really doesn't cost much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    12:26 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    As Ainz said using w.att buff potions is really a gamechanger, 15 w.att is sometimes (depending on your level and gear) like a 10 level difference in damage output.
    Because as everyone mentioned, w.att is by far the most important stat for you.
    Which is why I would recommend just heading over to Showa Town where you can buy Ciders from the grocer.
    Ciders give you +20 w.att for 5 minutes, and only cost 1k each. Their only fault is that they only stack up to 3, which would mean you need a lot of inventory space.
    They also lower your accuracy by 5, but if you cast Focus after you use one it cancels the accuracy debuff completely, not that you would ever lack accuracy as a crossbowman.
    You can also get Fruit Milk (teleports you to Showa) there, so that you can go buy ciders easily whenever you need. Ciders are almost always more efficient than Coke Pills, even if it sometimes feels like it's not worth the inventory space, but much more important in my opinion: You feel stronger. :)
    If anyone here uses coke pills fite me irl.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Also part of the reason why you're feeling weak compared to others, is that archers are just weak early on. A lot of single target skills that suck in close quarters (lots of whacking), and mobility issues. I think mid-third job, and mid-fourth job are when archers power spike. Meanwhile, sins are just extremely broken early game, because of how lucky 7 scales.

Definitely get all of the event gear (3x rings, leaf, and glasses), as those are going to be top tier, better than anything you can buy for a long long time. Also use speed pills or shoes scrolled for speed. I feel that usually helps with early game grinding more than a few extra dex might.

17. OP
    OP
    123698lol

123698lol Mano

Jun 22, 2021
    Male
    Crossbowman
    Thank you for the item buff tips. I happened to be kpqing and a guy dropped me a coke zero pill and holy crap it increased my damage to an insane degree. Will check out the Ciders as well

18. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    6:26 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    IM SORRY YOU CAN WHAT?????

WHY HAVE I BEEN WALKING MY SLOW ASS THIS WHOLE TIME

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    :funny:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Bro I swear to god. First you didn't know about Lith Cab, then this. How in the everloving **** did you ever take second place in the 1-30 speedrun...?