1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice on Agent Equipment

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Siao, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredaaaaa

fredaaaaa Brown Teddy

Jun 25, 2017
    10:04 AM
    Promise
    What about some compensation for the untradable agent equipment (iirc only the agent earrings were tradable which was circulated as op end game eq)? A simple player's situation that I have thought of is player who has disposed their KPQ squishy shoes for the +3 to all stats 'perm' agent shoes back then?

Personally I quite like the 'exclusiveness' we got from the agent eq, as it shows who are the players who have been sticking around the server for abit.. Would y'all considering reverting only the untradable agent eq back to its original stats for players who currently own it and keep it, its like the mark of beta for players in Summer 2017 :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:04 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well my two cents on the whole topic.

First of all, while I dreamed of having all kinds of godly Agent equips, the whole vibes I got from the agent events turned me away from this server. It was too GMS-like, the activities you had to do too insanely boring and grindy... quite frankly, it brought back bad memories, and I wasn't enjoying myself at all. I just gave up and even went on a hiatus from the server, feeling disgusted with the event, and questioning my life decisions and the way I spend my free time. In a way, if this happens, it might be a "relief" that I didn't put in the hundreds more hours of work to acquire and scroll agent equips...

But knowing how many hours it takes to get them, there is no question in my mind that taking them away is an unfair decision. I am not exaggerating when I say that players who earned their agent equips had to go through Hell to get them. Is this the best solution you can come up with? Erasing all that work? Even if the whole agent event was a big mistake, this action is an even bigger mistake that is extremely punishing to many players.

In contradiction to your paradigm you claim to be adhering to with no permanent event equipments, there's another paradigm you also frequently abide by: being as GMS-like as possible. In GMS, these equipments were permanent, were they not? And I'm pretty sure this is what everyone knew and expected as well. I just don't get it. Same GMS event, same amount of insane work required as in GMS, same equipment stats... removing them months after everyone wasted hundreds of hours of their life? I don't even think Neckson would have done something so stupid.

Speaking of GMS, this is once again a reason to take everything they did with a grain of salt, and not copy them as closely as possible. Now that you've copied them, however, you seem to have a "balance problem" on your hands... You know what would completely balance the game between new and old players? A server wipe.

Brainstorm a better solution.

Oh one thing to point out. It's not nearly so difficult to compensate people due to trading. You see, it's very simple...

Players who initially got agent equips and traded them away were already compensated.

Do you know how? By what means? By who? The other person in the trade. The players who sold their agent equips got mesos, scrolls, whatever in return for the agent gear, which is now expiring. So logically, only those who have agent gears currently would get a compensation. Whoever doesn't, would get none.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:04 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Hello~~ OnionF2

Time to reply to people's salt I mean constructive feedback ^^

As a player, I understand the frustration and annoyance that comes with the announcement of the removal of agent equipment. Your hard work disappearing like that, and your desperate pleas for it to remain being "ignored." But let's jump into why this had to happen in a very long-winded detailed and complicated explanation. Before that though, I just want to remind everyone we have apologized countless times, and we are still very apologetic for something like this happening in the first place. We've mentioned it here, on discord, in-game, a couple other times on the forums, etc etc. It was a mistake on our part, and we do hope you forgive us and look at the server beyond this one mishap. As Alexander Pope wrote, "To err is human; to forgive, divine."

1. Issue of Notice

The expiry of agent items has been mentioned numerous times, starting at the end of the event last year: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/regarding-agent-equipment.19907/ (I've also edited the OP to include this link, in case people forgot).

We've also made announcements about it, and had the scrolling message in game for a long while too unless I'm remembering wrong. Not enough notice that it's going to expire is completely off the mark. We did all we could to notify that it was going to expire. The precise date is another issue.

2. Removal

In case people completely forgot about why removal was necessary like ^ I'll do a quick distinction between the attack gloves/capes compared to the agent earrings. Yes, they're not as OP, but the distinction lies in how to get them. Gloves and capes can be scrolled all year round, from things that are created endlessly. There isn't a finite supply of it, as chaoses + PACs are gacahed so often. For earrings, what we have are just the plain old vanilla ones. These 20+ stat earrings are clearly the best in game. What blows is that, unless you were part of that event, you will never receive it. That's fucking over all the new players. Someone said bring the event back. But... do you really want the same event every year just cus of this item? That's going to be such a drag for the players and us as the organizers of the server. So the idea of "bring it back" is not a feasible option.

So if they are a problem, why not just nerf them instead of removing them? There's like 300+ earrings on this server alone, and then theres shoes too. That's an issue of feasibility as well. Mass nuking is simpler than individually tinkering with the stats. Even if we were to tinker with the stats, that wouldn't be a smart approach to the issue either, cus some people would get screwed over more than others. Then the significantly affected individuals will ask for compensation. Removal of all, is the fairest solution available.

3. Compensation

So now I've explained why its necessary to remove, let's talk about compensation. As y'all have mentioned and Kimmy has kindly pointed out, with things everywhere it is hard to compensate people. Therefore, our current stance is no compensation. Also keep in mind there are 300+ earrings out there, some which are clean and unscrolled, some that are godly, some that are the same if not worse than average earrings. If we compensate, we need to individually determine who fits for compensation and who doesn't.

Now about things that got traded. At first glance, that's honestly what I thought too. People that traded it off, don't need compensation since they liquidated their assets and earned mesos from it. BUT BUT BUT we would be compensating for turning these items into expiring items. The entire reason why they were traded in the first place. Someone who scrolled godly earrings sold it off for a lower value because it was announced that it was going to expire. So technically they were affected by the announcement as well, because they received far less than what was supposed to be the price of that equipment, should it have not expired.

^ Additionally this point also ties back in with why we have to remove it. Because a lot of people have traded these equips away on the basis that it was going to expire. If we go back from that decision now (the decision being the one made in this forum post: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/regarding-agent-equipment.19907/) we'd be screwing over those players twice.

If you can think of a way to provide adequate compensation and who will be eligible for it, we can you out. But after lots of brainstorming, there wasn't a feasible option.

4. Expiry Date

Yes, the announcement is a bit late, but once again pointing back to Piety's announcement: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/regarding-agent-equipment.19907/

We said it would be roughly one year, expiring around summer. It's going to be painful, but it's like a bandaid. We're going to have to remove it, might as well get it done with quickly. If not, it'll be endless procrastination. "Just a little bit longer" x 1000. We made a controversial post (in terms of how late it was compared to the original event and the decision - I'm talking about Piety's). We suffered backlash from it, but we have to uphold it.

Once again, we apologize for people that are going to be affected by this. And I hope this post sheds more light on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    4:04 AM
    Was it ever asked to the community what they think of this option?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I’m of the believe that events are unique and fun based on the fact that you don’t know what it’s going to be. It’s like christmas 4x a year. You know what it’s based on eg summer, but not the specific content of the events.

Asking the community about whether we should have the same event every year sounds like asking the organizers of a surprise birthday party to ask the birthday boy or girl how to plan their surprise birthday. Or perhaps like telling your secret santa what to get you...

I think that’s enough analogies but you get my point :p That’s my personal opinion on the matter of asking the community re: events

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:04 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Oh right... So february of last year, 5 months after the last summer event, you issue "notice" of this. The topic is pretty heated, much disagreement, and closed within the same day as the thread being started. Pretty typical, when Kimberly hears opinions she doesn't want to hear.

But I guess this makes everything fine, and an apology tooooootally changes everything. So, maple weapons removal when?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Perhaps you rather not hear an apology at all, but we do admit our faults, and have sincerely apologized many times over. We understand you don't find our apologies sincere or heartfelt enough, but that also means nothing else we do will ever satisfy you. However, your grievances have been noted Lionheart.

I'd like to direct you one last time to the quote: "To err is human; to forgive divine." It is easier to make mistakes than to forgive others for mistakes. But we should all find it within our hearts to try to forgive, and try to make peace with what has happened. That means both sides. The side that has erred, and the side that has been wronged. We as staff have grown from this large mishap on our side, and I hope you, along with other members of the player base have/will also do the same by focusing on the other things that we have worked hard to provide/improve. :)

With that, I bid you a good morning/evening/night, where ever you may be! ^^

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    10:04 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    After almost 4 years of watching this happen over and over again, I see absolutely no reason to believe that anything will be learned from this. No reason to make such claims that any learning will happen when you're not willing to learn.

So stop closing threads, you can't learn if you don't listen.

Apologies mean nothing if they're just apologies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    9:04 PM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    I second that idea. Moving away from the topic of equip's opness, I believe that these still represent a nice portion of players that has been playing in Legends to this day (and it looks pretty cool too). To achieve that, my idea would be creating a custom npc script and give people like a week to trade the current equips with a nerfed version that is more in line of ones we can achieve from participating in party quests (ex. slime shoes, altaire earrings, etc...) and also untradable.

I understand that this will not be a perfect compensation. However, I believe method will at least prevent current equips from vanishing and gives people an opportunity to keep a piece of history if they want them.

10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Since you really like to copy words that other have said. Let me actually reply with the statements you keep say over and over.

- Closing threads

A topic is open for opinions, discussions, and thoughts. When we have received all of them and no new posts appear from people besides those that have quit and are only shit posting (which happened at the old agent thread...) than it gets closed. Don't want threads to get closed? Don't shit post and actually post constructive stuff.

- 'Majorly of the users don't like this but you still don't undo it'

While not directly said by you I still want address it.

I don't know where we ever said that changes we make in the server are opinion based by the community. Agent items is something we want completely removed from the server, and we know most people (especially those that own one of course) doesn't want that to happen. Sometimes changes happen that most don't agree on, and that happens in every server, including the current (and still) biggest server.

The mistake we made was introducing the agent items, items that had end-game stat potential, and keeping them permanent, which never happened in any event before. An option was to permanently keep the mistake in the server, but instead we took the road to get rid of it. We are aware 'most' don't like this option, but it is still going to happen, and it isn't going to be changed.

Of course we still listen with open ear what the community wants (feedback threads, etc etc), but doing absolutely everything what the community wants destroys your server, since sometimes the community don't know what they want.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    7:04 PM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Or, rather, they THINK they know what they want. No one really knows what they want until they get it and decide whether or not this was truly what they wanted. Like me, I want Zakum/Scar/Targa Helms to not be Helmets, but Rings - because what is the point of having level 50-110 helmets in a game when those helmets are ridiculously OP not to pass up? But, since there are several ring slots, and I don't think anyone should be able to wear all three at once (given the One Of A Kind status can't be applied to three different equips [can they?]). So I think, "Hey, how about creating a "Shoulder" equip and have the Zak/Scar/Targa helms instead be Pauldrons? I'd also like to see DEF be a stat that makes a significant difference in the game."
    - But all it takes is for all of these changes to happen before I, or anyone else, knows if this is something we really want to have happen.

I'm in full agreement - event equips are stupidly toxic to this type of gaming environment.

12. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Alrighty,

I have one last update to give.

Instead of nuking the items completely we went around the table for yet another time, and came to following conclusion based on further feedback.

- The stats from the agent items will be completely removed, as part of the removal process
    - The agent items will be kept stat-less and will not be removed anymore, and tradable items will be made untradable server sided (so don't drop it after next coming restart)
    - The next patch (shortly after summer) the items will be made 'Cash' items (nx), so they will be visually untradable, and account-bound like every other cash item.

With this we will still accomplish what we want (removing end-game event items), but keep the people happy that want keep the items for memories. That's really the end of it now.

If for technical reasons this appears to not be possible after all the initial removal will still be happening.

Thank you!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  13. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    Does it still have the slots if you've scrolled them already, or do those get reset?

14. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    They will be completely statless and no longer be possible to have any.

15. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    gay xd

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    10:04 AM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    It will be cash item. Finally I can wear my agent overall together with bathrobe

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    11:04 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    More of the same, good thing I don't play this server anymore and my 1.5b being fucked over doesn't really matter. Still funny to read though, thanks for the laugh SeemsGood

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Slime

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    You can apologize as many times as you want but that doesn't fix the fact that a huge chunk of your players are majorly fucked over from your mistakes that you chose not to compensate. It's too hard to compensate, so your decision is no compensation at all? Lemme just bulldoze my neighbour's house, write them a heartfelt apology with a quote on forgiveness, and refuse to compensate because it's too hard, so why even bother. If you're gonna make a fuck up this big, you should at least take the responsibility as owners of the game to fix it, even if the cost is way bigger or the task way harder than you expected. Holy fuck, if I fucked over this many people that badly, I would work extra hard to encourage them to keep playing my game, not by declaring an easy way out in the name of fairness by deleting everyone's equips knowing that it would piss them off. Its clear that there is no perfect compensation, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any at all. You've already robbed weeks of time and effort from players which they can never get back when you encouraged them to do the agent event with these supposed "permanent" equips, yet your best solution is just to delete the hard work of 300 people? Even if material compensation isn't possible or if there really isn't any clear cut solution to this, you could have at least proposed to satisfy your players elsewhere by working harder to host more events or making small improvements via suggestions, but unfortunately that's gonna be on hold since you all need to take breaks and play gunbound. Right now you're only pissing off your existing players who have been loyal to you for years by catering to the future players that arent even keeping your game alive right now, so please don't be surprised when new potential players get turned off from a dead server that everyone left from poor management. I would much rather have a server with a few flaws rather than a dead server run by GMs whose only method of repayment is forum apologies.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Ah yeah comparing pixels with a real world house. Totally the same thing.

Cost is higher? In what way? That it breaks the server even further? What would the point of that be? The whole point of why I want them removed is because they are end-game weapons that were temp., RNG-based, and if you were lucky costed no efforts (besides getting the item itself) to get it. You had for a full year end game items that costed you agent chaos scrolls to make. Now of course people that traded them actually paid for them, and this is something we can't control nor know based on proposed 'compensation'

Ehh. It's up to you if you want keep play the server. If not, then feel free to leave. I will keep host the server for those that enjoy it, and for those that don't are free to play somewhere else. I am not stopping you, honestly.

People should be happy they can even play Private Servers to be begin with. Imagine if they never existed and you were forced to play Neckson's current version. Do you realize maybe how much time WE robbed of our lives just so you guys can play a Private Server? And no, this is not to show pittyness. Its just because you sound so dramatic losing weeks of time, while I, staff, and devs lost hours upon hours of their lifes just so you guys can play a maplestory version you are not meant to play anymore.

Oh my we work hours on the server and we take 30 minutes break to play a few games of GunBound. What a horrible event. Let me play League of Legends or something instead, so people won't know we are doing other things too sometimes, and people won't fire at us for doing so.

And yes, we are already working on new events, content, as well as other stuff. That's a global thing though, and has nothing to do with Agent people.

Already mentioned multiple times that the decision we made pissed off people, or was an unpopular decision. Also, if there's anything bad that keeps users away than it is all the people that keep claim over and over they have left but still shit post here on the forums and discord, because they can't leave the server behind.

You should do what you want to do. I will stay here hosting the server for those that are enjoying the server. If you no longer do than try something else.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    There is so much entitlement over a game. If it's impossible to enjoy a game because some of your pixels are gone, then you probably need to re-evaluate your motivations for playing, because everyday we fool ourselves into thinking this game is something that it's not. We aren't owed anything. We don't own anything of value. Our accounts, no matter how much effort we've put into them, are not even our own property, and their existence is at the discretion of whoever controls the server. I believe that's something that the Terms of Service for MapleLegends is lacking, and something made apparent in the terms of many other MMO's.

Let's say that your neighbor has an empty plot of land, and on it he builds a park for some kids, with a swingset, a jungle gym, monkey bars, some slides, many things for people to enjoy. You enjoy the park, you hangout with friends there and you become attached to it. Wanting to contribute, you offer to build a sandbox out of some planks and sand that your neighbor has lying around, and he agrees, glad that he has created something people like. Well, one day your neighbor decides that it's not in his best interest to have the park, and he agrees to sell the property for development. Do you have a right to complain? No, not in the least. You're allowed to not like the decision, but there is absolutely no basis for believing that you deserve something because of it. You enjoyed the park, you helped build parts of it, you invested bits of yourself into it, yet none of that property or anything on it is yours and all decisions are made at the discretion of the owner. They are free to do with it as they wish.

That's the nature of all online games. They're open for us to enjoy, but it's a mistake to believe that we are entitled to anything just because we are a part of them. It's especially apparent when the game we enjoy is free to play, and just a hobby for the owner. To be toxic towards any of the GMs because of their beliefs as to how this server is run is just immature and delusional.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.