1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage on Maple Island

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Salt, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    8:06 PM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Without writing another essay. Some of the biggest reasons why I'm against adding bosses/other mobs is that it would ruin the current flexibility there is with the various different stat builds, not worth the time it would take to make, anything added to it will most likely become obsolete very quickly unless it is constantly managed.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    8:06 AM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    How about bosses like snowman, where all the attacks will be regulated to 1 or 10 damage?

if its created as a form of a quest, u may force participants to only attack using a particular weapon (just like the snowman), which will help even the entire playing field, no matter what build u are using.

I'm just throwing suggestions though, so just take them as a grain of salt hahah

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. CrimsonClaw

CrimsonClaw Orange Mushroom

Jan 29, 2019
    Male
    Maple Island
    PinkBean
    Islander
    Shroomies
    My view of storage on the island is similar as Kimmy's

Kimmy is doing the removal of 'illegal' or 'smuggled' items cause the islanders wish to stay 'pure'

I would vote Yes for this idea cause the items doesn't really affect me playing an islander
    Note: However, I do not think all islanders can agree that off-island items should be obtainable for islanders and I respect their views of being a pure islander. More feedback from fellow islanders should be taken into consideration before proceeding with this idea as it is quite game-changing, especially when speed items or damage output (scrolled weapons) are concerned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. kitsunychang

kitsunychang Horny Mushroom

Feb 26, 2018
    Female
    Dangerous Forest, Rainbow Street
    KitsunyChang
    Islander
    Southperry
    Why can't we just have unrestricted events and keep things the way they are?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    2:06 AM
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    Because we used to have 3 members in staff team that was active on their islanders and was helping out to include islanders for events. Now? idk but it seems islanders tend to get forgotten during events nowdays. If we keep things as they are we will never grow as a community. I want to see changes and improvements, not be stuck in the past because the island now is nothing close to what it was anyway so why not accept that and let people enjoy new items that never get any love offisland?

• Like Like x 1
  6. kitsunychang

Feb 26, 2018
    Female
    KitsunyChang
    Islander
    Southperry
    Because it's a stupid idea that would extremely pad low level grinding, just for some shiny new toys for the high levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    People can still enjoy the low level grind without shiny new toys. Especially new islanders that are also new to the server, they don't have any gach tickets saved up etc to gain mesos offisland to buy items. They can enjoy the "vanilla" experience for a few levels and eventually get more motivated to grind to get gach tickets to buy x item or reach x lvl to be able to wear x item.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kitsunychang

Feb 26, 2018
    Female
    KitsunyChang
    Islander
    Southperry
    You aren't wrong but what about mainland people who can breeze through the first part with speed equips? That's what rubs me the wrong way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    5:06 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You're concerned about the 20 minutes of content on Maple Island being made marginally faster with speed equips?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kitsunychang

Feb 26, 2018
    Female
    KitsunyChang
    Islander
    Southperry
    it's more than 20 minutes I'm concerned about obviously

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    Yeah I can understand your concern and I know for a fact that people can easily get max speed for under 5m mesos offisland which is nothing. So yeah a lot of people that's not new to the server will power through the early levels but to me this is still a win. They are trying out islanding for the first time, some might not even go for speed in every slot and just wanna have fun with whatever item they like using. Even if they only aim for speed max cap is still 140 so it leaves room for unique items.

I think at very least it's worth trying out a storage npc on Maple Island to see if it indeed brings in more islanders and if it does motivated more people to reach certain levels for certain items. Also to see if more people in general are active when no events are ongoing. If proven wrong, if the storage instead has a negative impact on islanders then simply remove it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I have a personal bias view point of a boss on the island being the most non islanding thing ever, so sorry if I come off strong.

If you add an instance boss, then it becomes a daily (which I dislike but I don't know how other people feel being forced to do something daily). If you add an area boss then there becomes the issue with timers, camping, KSing, who gets loot if its done with a party.

Then theres the issue of what it drops. If it drops something amazing then it could become a best slot item and make other items irrelevant and lose its purpose to do over time (Continues to feed into the issue of the way events currently are being done). If it drops scrolls the boss will have a longer useful lifespan, but will also make the daily aspect of an instance boss worss IMO. Adding more scrolls to the island will also just give another thing people can smuggle in excess for the appearance of godly gear.

Personally I love the killing type quest as a method to add more items onto the island. The quest gives meaning to a lot of places on the island that would be irrelevant otherwise, & gives incentive to grind in big parties as it becomes beneficial to do so. If we talking about adding a bunch of items to the island, of course I would prefer it to be done through this method as it rewards you for your time but a storage becomes easier for staff to add & gets rid of the smuggling issue without having to tediously track down where a shit load of items came from. There are also a lot of items that probably can't be put into an event/islander quest because they exist as a quest reward, item drop, or gachapon item off island that might have some sort of value.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Seeing the points being in the rewards leading to certain play-frequency/behavior makes it clearer on why it might be a problem.
    All here for discussion, so don't worry about it :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lesbian

Lesbian Slime

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    3:06 AM
    Thanks for spoiling the method :mad:.

On a more serious note though, I really like the idea of adding the storage guy to Maple Island. It won't really have an effect to me, since I personally write down which important items I have on each character, but I'm fairly certain that it will benefit basically 99% of the Islander community. As for the addition of more speed items, it wouldn't really make a difference to me.

Thank you for reading KimberlyKimberly

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I've been walking around for a week now with items that aren't obtainable on Maple Island trying to invoke some type of official action/stance as so many people don't even know if its allowed or not and figured I'll take one for the team.

Nothing has happened yet, when I thought I've made it extremely easy to be noticed / provided more than enough evidence for an easy report.

Is it really this hard for anything to get reported / if I was reported for something to happen? If I hid all my items behind nx would it take even longer for me to get caught? If I simply scrolled white gomushins and jeans with speed, would I ever get caught?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't personally report anything, as I don't like the confrontation aspect of it and the drama it might cause, especially in a small community of islanders. So I wonder if you saw someone with smuggled item, would you report them?

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Oahu

Oahu Mixed Golem

Mar 4, 2017
    Male
    Maple Island
    Oahu
    Islander
    Southperry
    The responses/suggestions that everyone has typed up so far have been very informative, and I hope that my wall of text can be of use as well. As someone who, over the years, has collected countless pieces of event gear to redistribute to islanders in need, and also as someone who has 30+ Maple Island mules for the sole purpose of storage: I believe that adding a Storage NPC to Maple Island would both solve the issue with smuggling as well as reinvigorate the island we all know and love!

Why is having a Storage NPC on Maple Island a positive change? The short answer is that we can obtain more inventory space, per character/account. For me personally, that would increase the storage on TEN of my Maple Island accounts. Storage isn't the only positive reason; being able to legitimately move items to/from Maple Island through storage would allow Maple Island to be transformed into what it would have looked like back in the day on GMS with Remote Gachapon and the Maple Trading System. (Basically, it's canon)

Now, I absolutely understand the concerns that other islanders have. Having a Storage NPC would detract a bit from how islanding is supposed to be, as a hardcore, fend-for-yourself progression adventure. I believe that it is important to keep that in mind at all times. At the end of the day, regardless of what gear you have, you are an islander who has chosen to restrict themselves to Maple Island. That core component of islanding will never change, even if a Storage NPC were to be added. However, it's also important to keep in mind the issues that Islanding currently has in 2021: smuggling seems to be the current hot topic, and while it is technically against the rules I can understand why players would choose to do so. As an islander, our greatest source of gear improvement has always been events. However, there are certain untradeable event items that will never be obtainable again that were considered to be best-in-slot for us (3rd Birthday Cake Hat 9-11 speed 4-6 jump) and that really bums me out as a veteran. Smuggling a bathrobe in that gives 10 speed and can be potentially scrolled for DEX is too enticing to ignore. Adding in a Storage NPC mitigates this issue significantly by giving islanders more legitimate, early-game options to increase mobility. On top of this, if storage were to be added and Islanders could fully participate in events again, there would still be exclusive, untradeable rewards that could be obtained that would not be affected by said Storage NPC. While everyone would have tradeable items, it would still be the untradeable items that would reign supreme and stand as the trophy items we seek.

(One more thing I forgot to mention: Islanders buying new gear/scrolls offland to transfer to Maple Island may reinvigorate the economy of certain items!)

I know there are other concerns on top of this, and they are all valid! I wanted to address the most common concerns as we continue this discussion. At the end of the day, everyone plays MapleStory differently. If you are not interested in a Storage NPC, you can always play the game however you want instead!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    love you
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Honestly, Maple Island has to be one of the things on MapleLegends that is just extremely boring still to do. It's slow, it's tedious (especially as a mage), and if you immediately have speed equips it generally also means you did Maple Island countless times before. It was especially bad on lower versions (pre v55) where MapleStory's Maple Island was even bigger than it is in v62, making walking even more tedious than it already is.

I was thinking in past if there are ways to make Maple Island's process quicker for new users, since Maple Island while nostalgic is just not fun to do --- so if speed accessibility will be a thing for new users or people on second characters which allow them to do Maple Island quicker it's not a huge problem to me (to me as in myself... I don't know about the other).

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Lowly

Lowly Mano

Jan 6, 2021
    7:06 PM
    Beginner
    Kitsuny you were given smuggled items on Royals and wore them no issue. What's the change in heart now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Make Roger's Apple give +20 speed for 30 minutes.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.