1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone threatened to delete my character for killing a boss?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Arxus, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    11:55 PM
    Arxus
    Hello,
    I'm new to the server. I played maplestory a lot back in the day and never heard of any of this map owner stuff.

I was just hit lvl 31 so i stopped KPQing and started trying to fill out my monster book. I killed the first boss in the game a couple of times and then this person said that they will delete my character. I typed in @mapowner which is what they typed and could see that it said someone owns the map. Am I able to own a map too? they didn't want to explain it to me, just seemed angry. there seems to be a few manos on different channels since hes only lvl 20.

please delete my post if it breaks any rules, ive attached a screenshot

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:25 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Hi there, welcome to the server!

Please refer to the https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/terms-conditions.2001/ for an overview of all our rules. For the mapowner rule you are talking about I'll copy and paste it below:

To obtain mapowner, you have to be in the map first and kill mobs. Each time you kill something in the map, you get 5 more minutes to ownership. If you afk for longer than 5 minutes, you'll lose ownership. There are also some level requirements, but you can see what the requirement is by doing @mapowner in each map (if un-owned).

As for kill stealing someone with mapowner, you won't get your account deleted like he claimed, but you could be banned temporarily or be given an official warning instead.

Also, I've removed your screenshot for the time being~

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    7:25 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    hello again, thank you for your quick replies :)
    okay well thats good. Ive had a look.
    so every time i want to play on a map that is popular i need to type @mapowner to check before i attack anything? I think ill just stick to PQs on this server

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:25 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Only if there's someone in the map before you. If there isn't anyone, you can just take it. Also means that if you own the map, you can ask other people to change channels or leave~

• Like Like x 1
  6. PrettyLights

PrettyLights Timer

Oct 11, 2017
    7:25 AM
    You can set a buff skill macro to say @mapowner then you only need to press 1 key to check ^^

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    ah i see, alright thanks

8. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    4:25 PM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    If someones owns a map in which you want to train, you can always ask them and see how they respond. Try to party :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    okay err I just got banned today. despite never being asked to CC or leave, as written in your MapleLegends Map Owner Guide and the player not even explaining to me what mapowner is. sushichef.png Capture.JPG

10. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    yes i killed the boss (which was on multiple channels) before they said anything to me and whenever i have been asked to CC i have, which im sure you can see in the chat logs. seems like strange behaviour to reward and strange behaviour to punish.

11. OdinSteinGuy

OdinSteinGuy Pink Teddy

Apr 16, 2020
    Male
    5:25 PM
    OdinSteinGuy
    I/L Mage
    Hogwarts
    It's considered logical that even if someone does not ask you to CC to ask first. usually ppl camp bosses and wait for hours for them to spawn, and someone (AKA you in this case) comes when they went to the bathroom and ruined 2 hours wait....

TD;LR - Always Mapowner, if you're not the owner, DO NOT KILL BOSS.
    If it's a regular mob and the person doesn't answer for 5 min, i guess it's ok, as long as they do not answer

12. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    Yes that makes from here on out and as you say it is logical but seems like a pretty abrupt way to find out what mapowner is for someone new to the server that killed a lvl 20 creature.

13. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    And I found that snail boss 4 times in about 10 minutes. Just some context for you since you're referring to people waiting for 2 hours for something? I'm guesing high levels who have played on th server for more than 2 days?

14. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    4:25 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    The boss spawns once an hour per channel. So people will wait for mano for an hour, but other bosses take 3 hours or longer to spawn. So if you don't know when it was killed last...

Anyhow, if someone is active in a map, or the boss just spawned, always ask before you act.

15. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    5:25 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Well, that guy was definitely a dick. Trying to get a new player banned over mano, no less.

Try submitting a ban appeal here: (and only here)
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?forums/ban-appeal.91/
    Make a thread there, it is visible only to the admins and that's where they take care of things.
    Also the first time, it's just a 3 day ban, so it's not too much to wait out either way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    Thanks, I'm glad to see someone thinks so.
    For someone that is
    -new to the server
    -did not know what mapowner is
    -did not speak to or even notice someone else in the corner of the map
    -spent about 10 minutes finding and killing 4 Manos on many channels without waiting

Tried to find out what they were talking about but they just acted rude.

I'm shocked that a GM actually looked at this, saw the chat log and still chose to ban me.
    I think I'm done with this server so the ban length doesn't matter to me anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Stow

Stow Mixed Golem

Apr 30, 2017
    10:25 PM
    Dazzle
    Magician
    Gonna play the devil's advocate here but given all the resources linked by nise and mirrors, honestly it is kind of your own fault for not checking for map ownership given that there was already someone in the map, or asking for permission (although yes the person is kind of a dick).

Unless of course, the second screenshot was taken before the links were posted here...

18. OP
    OP
    Arxus

Arxus Mano

Jan 11, 2020
    Male
    Arxus
    You lost me towards the end there.. everything was posted in chronological order.

Is there very few new people coming to this server or something?
    Is it that uncommon for someone to come over from legitimately playing classic maplestory years ago and having no idea what Mapowner is? How can you expect someone to "check map ownership" when they don't yet know it exists..

19. Wigglytuff

Wigglytuff Orange Mushroom

Mar 28, 2020
    10:25 AM
    Because it’s part of your agreement that you checked off before playing the game that everyone decides not to read.

How is it not your fault if you skip the terms of service?

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Wigglytuff

Wigglytuff Orange Mushroom

Mar 28, 2020
    10:25 AM
    As for your other point, I could just as easily kill someone else’s boss and pretend not to know what map owner is. These rules are made to prevent situations like this being faked