1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Is the White Scroll Prompt Needlessly Confusing?

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by -ovv, Mar 29, 2023.

Is White Scroll Prompt Needlessly Confusing?

1. Yes, the white scroll prompt is needlessly confusing, and it should be changed.

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Yes, the white scroll prompt is needlessly confusing, but it should not be changed.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. No, the white scroll prompt is not needlessly confusing, but it should be changed.

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. No, the white scroll prompt is not needlessly confusing, and it should not be changed.

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  5. Cancel, I don't even know what a white scroll is

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:47 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    upload_2023-3-29_13-40-12.png

Please refer to poll above and discuss below.

I think the white scroll prompt is needlessly confusing because the single-word responses to the prompt branch off into non-binary functions.

The question:
    "Would you like to use the white scroll?"

Here is what we currently have:
    • Yes
    • No
    • Cancel
    Below are the expanded logic and function to the above single-word options.
    • Yes, I would like to use a white scroll and continue scrolling.
    • No, I would not like to use a white scroll and continue scrolling.
    • Cancel, I would like to not use a white scroll and cancel scrolling.
    However, a yes/no binary response is not a very good design when you have additional actions embedded into your response. Here are some:
    1. Yes, I would like to use a white scroll and continue scrolling.
    2. No, I would not like to use a white scroll and continue scrolling.
    3. No, I would not like to use a white scroll and not continue scrolling.
    4. Cancel, I would like to not use a white scroll and not continue scrolling.
    As you can see, the last three options have considerable overlap with two different end results. "No" answers the prompt -- you do not want to use a white scroll -- but then you're left with two different outcomes of whether you want to continue scrolling or not. Cancel is the only one that answers No to both prompts.

My suggestion:
    Remove the "No" button and turn the "No" option into the "Cancel" button, similar to other NPC interface in the game (image below). This would keep UI design consistent to other parts of the game whereas some people might mistake the "No" button for the "Cancel" response. You will not be able to use your white scroll unless you explicitly click "Yes." Additionally, you will not be able to scroll an item you do NOT wish to use a white scroll on as long as you have a white scroll in your inventory. While inconvenient, the simple solution to this would be to implement the practice of storing your white scrolls in your Cash Shop inventory. This feature should be added to the in-game note for first time receivers of WS/CS as well.

upload_2023-3-29_13-58-17.png

I'm not sure how this would affect people who have the white scroll prompt turned off, but this suggestion was made with the considerations that users have white scroll prompt on by default.

The Pros:
    • People will not accidentally click "No" for the 3rd outcome listed above and ruin a project from a careless mistake.
    • People will be directly responsible for their use of white scrolls (need to click "Yes").
    • It turns 3 prompts into 2.
    The Cons:
    • New players might misuse their white scrolls because they do not understand how to use the Cash Shop storage feature.
    • Players might forget their white scroll in their Cash Shop inventory and scroll their items without a white scroll (which will be laughed at as player skill issue).

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    2:47 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
  3. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    But should it be changed or not?
    [​IMG]

4. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:47 AM
    Moderator Post
    The whole prompt which is custom implemented is already a layer to prevent mistakes. At some point there's just enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:47 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    it seems as if instead of loose ws getting randomly used, entire items are being ruined after this implementation

• Agree Agree x 12
  6. Cashew2

Cashew2 Orange Mushroom

Oct 19, 2020
    Male
    Cashew3
    Night Lord, Corsair
    Would definitely prefer to lose 1 ws than a +5/+6 timeless (no reason I used that example in particular)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Sure, but that doesn't mean the custom implementation was a good one which is why this thread exists -- to question the design concept and its effects, and whether it can be improved upon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    "Do you want to use the White Scroll?"

"Do you really want to use the White Scroll?"

"Do you really really want to use the White Scroll?"

9. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    2:47 PM
    For curiosity, what is the effect of pressing enter or esc at that selection page?

10. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:47 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    same as buy potion?

11. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    I'm more of wondering does esc mean no or cancel since there are 2 negative options now.

12. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i am 92.43% sure, but need something rich to test

13. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    never thinked about, but u have reason

14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I don’t think it’s confusing and I think anyone who messes this process up has only themselves to blame but I also would approve of the Yes/Cancel change and if you don’t want to use a WS when scrolling just move it to Cash Shop. Seems like a simple change that can save even the pepega-est of the pepegas, at this point the only way to mess up is if you don’t have any WS in your inventory

15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:47 AM
    Moderator Post
    I really do not understand the arguments here in anyway whatsoever.

The White Scrolls prompt ALSO exists in the original game. In the original, only no and yes exists. No, proceeds scrolling and does not use a white scroll. Yes, used the white scroll. A cancel button was CUSTOM added for a way to completely halt scrolling.

LEGENDARY SPIRIT had no prompt at all. This is where most problems happened. People did forget to uncheck the box and ended up using the WS accidentally. This is where a prompt (which is IDENTICAL) as the normal scrolling one got added.

I refuse to believe this new system that functions exactly the same as vanilla caused "more problems" and instead 1 person messed up so badly that this confirmation bias started to appear where "more people" have problems. People in MapleRoyals even suggested the staff there to add the exact same system we added, because people still mess it up daily there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  16. benQ

benQ Pac Pinky

Oct 14, 2016
    Male
    benQ
    Bishop
    maple
    the white scroll prompt is not confusing
    but this thread is
    u r talking like: if ur answer is no pls click yes, yes or no? :confused:

17. ooShawnyoo

ooShawnyoo Dark Stone Golem

Sep 17, 2021
    Male
    Montreal
    Frenzied
    I can see why some could make a mistake although to me it's clear enough. Maybe to make it a bit clearer you could change the message to: "You are about to scroll your item, do you want to use a White Scroll as well?"

"Yes"/ "No"/ "Cancel" or "Cancel scrolling" or X in the corner.

But at this point it is really just for those having trouble with English.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:47 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    is this a problem because more people are scrolling with ws or independent of all other variables, the problem is in the prompt? you can test if it's the former by making the old prompt default in the legends.ini file

19. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The poll is designed to be similar to the white scroll prompt on purpose.

20. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    To perhaps better explain, let me give an analogy.

Humans cannot perform any action with 100% accuracy. Whenever I poor a glass of water, there is a non-zero chance that i slip and spill some water. For every 1000 times I poor a glass of water, lets say I spill it once. I think the same can be true of mouse accuracy when people are clicking to use a white scroll.

For every x amount of times someone uses a 10%+ white scroll, there is a non-zero chance that they select the wrong prompt as per the new feature.

In the previous iteration (and current if you disable the feature in the ini file), all you have to do is make sure the box is checked, your 10% scrolls match the # of white scrolls, and drag the scroll onto the weapon. There is no popup that comes up which gives you another opportunity to mess up and say you do not want to use the white scroll.

In the current iteration, every time the popup comes that reconfirms if you want to use the white scroll, there is another chance for you to accidentally click the wrong option and scuff the weapon.

In essense, there are pro's and con's to this new feature and the previous iteration. The new feature makes it much less likely that people waste scrolls accidentally, but it is more likely that they ruin weapons by misclicking to not use a white scroll when they wanted. Ultimately, the trade-off is scuffing a white scroll vs scuffing a weapon, and scuffing a white scroll is much more preferable than scuffing a weapon.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1