1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    11:27 AM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    I'm not staff, never had a run in with a gm and played since 2015. AMA

• Great Work Great Work x 7
  2. PumpkinJuice

PumpkinJuice Orange Mushroom

Nov 26, 2022
    5:27 PM
    Wait. So Skarmory was banned due to chats in his PRIVATE guild discord? Does that mean that any chat through any medium like whatsapp, qq, line etc, if deemed offensive, will get you banned here? Because if this is true, then the Staffs have really overstepped their boundaries.

So the basis of the 4 strike permanent banned is that you have 3 strikes beforehand to learn respect. If you reached the 4th, it means that you are not a person the community wants because you are toxic.

Firstly, aren't the 3 bans stemming from different scenarios? It can be completely different situations that causes the ban, which you can learn different things from different ban scenarios. Saying that the 4th should banned you permanently as you have not learnt your lesson is a bit far-fetched since it can be another kind of scenario.

Then, saying 4th strike ban is enough to deem you a person that is harming the community. I personally don't know Skarmory, so I want to know if he was a person that is so insufferable that deserves to not enter ML community ever again? From what I see, the tributes and people standing up for him, I think otherwise. So this proves that the 4th strike ban is not infallible, there are too factors to consider and not something just a black/white policy can decide.

Therefore, I don't think having such a policy helps at all. Handling things case by case basis should be enough.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Oolong

Oolong Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    4:27 AM
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    One example of many, I had a guy get upset on behalf of a friend and they asked me for details for their case. I flat out said no, because as yall all know i signed an NDA. The guy immediately goes onto a rant and throws personal insults at me. So you can maybe see that as "bait". I didn't bother responding because there's no point in making people like that see sense. So i blocked them. This was before we extended our rules to discord too so that wasn't fun not feeling protected even though the words said to me were vile and full of hate. Because the guy couldn't take no for an answer xD

4. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    6:27 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Guys that's not the point. Who cares about who never got ban? The point is there a lot of people going for some silly stuff, for things that occurred in private discord channels, taking out someone important to the community "forever". This is just wrong.

Sorry but that doesn't look like a bait. What I mean by bait is spreading lies or small offenses that won't lead to bans, that affects your reputation or affects something that you think is important, and then you will feel like the need to answer back, which may result in a ban. And also you can't report or just block the person most of the times.

5. Oolong

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    Yes, i agree you will feel the need to, but i still feel like everyone has a choice to engage or not engage. We ALL have baggage and other stuff going on in our lives. I don't like thinking i would be wasting my time arguing with people i don't like, don't care about, don't have any emotional investment in, when i could be with my friends instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    2:27 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Right, like someone telling you you're a power tripping fascist trying to play God, and comparing you to a North Korean dictator?

I will admit that in the day to day people have been kind to me. Whether or not it was because I was staff remains to be seen, but since I've left the team, not much has changed. Perhaps I'm lucky to be surrounded by a group of kind and chill folks.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Yeah but that's cuz you both are super cute. Do you think it's wrong to answer back an offense? In my opinion, I would give you all the right to answer back what you thought offensive. I wouldn't try to mute you by banning you until you lose your 5 years in game progress, specifically because I know you two are extremely friendly people and important to the community, and I would never want to take you out for the game because you answered some offenses from 2 or 3 ppl in a server of 1k+ players, even if it was repetitively.

The context should matter. 1 or 2 conflicts in 5 years isn't something toxic. It's just not something alarming to the point of wanting to give someone a death sentence.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    I consider this view problematic tbh, being kind, cute or 'important to the community' should not be a reason not to sanction someone for breaking the rules they agreed to follow.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Ok Ainz youre right. Death sentence to the one who called me ugly!!!!!!!!

10. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    You keep strawmanning this discussion. What are you afraid of?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I'm not strawmanning. The thing is, you two, who all you do is chat on discord but don't even play the game, insist on believing that the reasons for harassment bans are always relevant and refuse to consider the possibility of bans actually happening for silly reasons. Don't get me wrong. I love the people who chat on discord, I think it's important to the community, creates a friendly enviroment. I just mean you guys probably don't know what happens inside the game.

12. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Bro, I actually play the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
    For those kinds of bans, warnings have never been a possibility within the rules. They seemed like a moderation of silly conflicts from the staff at that time.

Skarmory was banned due to leaked messages on his own guild Discord about a community member. PastaPasta argued that this community harassment implies continuous bullying against someone, so I suppose that was thought to be the reason for Skarmory's permanent account ban on all his mains. Staff considered things that happened on TB that weren't restricted to Skarmory. Furthermore, the community's opinion of that player was not associated with Skarmory, nor was the more explicit conflict that happened at that time. Many players had something against him because of attitudes he had on TBuddies. I'm just pointing it out here because it seems that the staff creates an angelic view of the reporters and sometimes doesn't consider what that person could have done to receive such a bad view from the community, not that this justify any harass but must be considered to understand the context.

Also, we must remember that the material produced on Tomatoe Buddies shouldn't be accountable one year later, even if he was guilty. It was a time when there was no community harassment rule or Discord regulation. The staff explicitly stated that there was no regulation in that Discord and didn't ban players who even harassed people sexually or any other absurd stuff, matters much different from Skarmory stuff. Additionally, the conflicts were not one-sided at that time.

Now I ask, is it reasonable to ban him one year later using insignificant issues from Tomatoe Buddies, an unruled Discord, when that stuff wasn't even comparable to the other serious issues present?

The staff used evidence from a privately leaked Discord and old material from an unruled Discord – a Discord they didn't use to penalize serious abuses against people. Does this seem like justice to you? For us, it just felt like you dug up the reasons to ban him

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  14. Oolong

Jul 23, 2019
    Female
    xoJoolie
    Bowman
    Perion
    I appreciate you thinking im cute xD
    Context IS important, but how you respond is too. Talking about how you feel towards a certain person and what they're doing is one thing, but people are using those feelings to accost, belittle, and verbally abuse each other is another. The latter WILL result in a ban.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    This step was already done maybe 1,5 year ago in my case.
    Well anyway. I have nothing else to add here. I can't say anything more than I already said, and things are getting repetitive already. My suggestion was made and considering the amount of replies in less than 1 day I think we got a situation to be solved.
    Can't wait to see the next episodes bye everyone
    I love MapleLegends :heartbeat:

16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just an FYI to all, saying you’ve never had an issue or run-in with staff can come across as a statement of privilege. Language and cultural differences can be a reason for vastly different experiences from player to player which can lead to different types of conflict and escalation stemming from miscommunication and misunderstanding.

Just look back on your own life and consider how many times you’ve had run-ins with the police. Does it really make sense for you to be saying “Well I’ve never had an issue with police before, why can’t you just be like me?” Sounds a bit tone deaf doesn’t it?

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  17. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    12:27 PM
    I'm very sorry to phrase it like this but this is bluntly rubbish. And this is coming from an atheist gay who's living in the middle east.

I had no problem within the ML platforms not because i'm priviledged but i'm not an asshole towards others, period.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    That’s your personal experience, but thanks for stating your opinions as facts.

I can speak otherwise from my own experience and interactions with people - not just here but in real life situations as well. People who have a better command of the English language can get away with a lot more bullshit and can navigate around social situations by just crafting their words more carefully. When 99% of the interactions between players in this game are done using text-based communication, it’s not hard to imagine that those with a better command of the language would naturally have an easier time explaining themselves or wriggling out of conflict.

Btw there are different types of privilege. Idk what being gay and atheist in the Middle East has anything to do in this context, but I’m interested in seeing your explanation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    12:27 PM
    I never stated my opinions as facts.
    We're also not discussing how anyone with a language barrier can navitage through any hardships in any ML paltform. I honestly believe the staff would deal with a situation like that in all fairness.

I countered your opinion about being priviledged as a subject of a minority group. I hope you can make up the rest. If you are that unsure of your own statement maybe you shouldn't have commented about it in the first place.

20. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    If there is a big language barrier I always had the user just respond in his own language and use google translate lol.

Literally not an issue

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1