1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Card Collection Challenge

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wensleydale, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Wensleydale

Wensleydale Orange Mushroom

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    2:36 AM
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    I want to first give a huge shout-out to the creators of the original version of this challenge. Myself and some friends have amended some of the rules to make it more compatible with 2023 MapleLegends. You can view that original challenge here:

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/the-card-collector-challenge.34160/

What is this challenge?
    The Card Collection Challenge is an exciting and self-imposed area restriction test. In this challenge, players are forced to collect Monster Cards while adhering to a set of rules that add an extra layer of complexity to the game-play.

Pre-Challenge Rules

Before officially commencing the challenge, players start by playing through Maple Island normally, refraining from collecting any cards until the challenge officially begins. Upon reaching Victoria Island, participants must obtain their first job advancement (without collecting any cards along the way) and then immediately make their way back to Lith Harbor via taxi. This is where the challenge officially starts.

The Rules
    You may not progress from a map until you've collected all card sets of the monsters in that map.
    • Once you've completed a set, you have completed that monster for every map.
    • You can go back to previously cleared maps or explore alternatives whenever you like.
    • Taking a taxi or other instant warp NPC/scroll/portal to a map that you haven't otherwise "unlocked" is forbidden (ex: taking the taxi from Lith Harbor to Perion without unlocking every map in the route between). CLARIFICATION: Instant warps ARE allowed after you've properly unlocked their targets (ex: I can use Henesys return scrolls after I've reached the area).
    • Some areas/mobs don't have associated Monster Cards. Consider these areas free territory and do as you please.
    • Area bosses such as Mano and Stumpy are exempt from these rules and are optional (this includes the special anti-botting mobs such as Shade in the Kerning Subway).
    • Mini-Dungeons and Hidden Streets within a map are not accessible until the map itself has been cleared.
    • If death results in you warping to a map that has not been unlocked, you must return to an unlocked map immediately without touching anything (Return Scrolls recommended).
    • Important: Job advancements are an exception to the usual map constraints. A challenger should do their advancements normally but should not collect any cards during this exception.
    2. You may only party with other members of the challenge
    • Regarding Party Quests: If the challenger wants to partake in party quests all non-boss mobs within the PQ need to have their cards collected beforehand. PQ's can be done with normal chars.
    3. Obviously, no self-gifting. It's not a challenge if you can give yourself all the meso/items you need. No begging/donations either!
    4. Free Market buying/selling/trading is allowed, however you cannot buy/trade for an item until you've obtained that item at least once by yourself (ex: You cannot purchase a Gun for Att 60% scroll until you manage to obtain one from somewhere in the Maple World). This gives the challenge an Ironman-esque flair without being too self-punishing.
    • Skillbooks only obtainable from raid bosses (ex: Berserk 20, 30) can be purchased.
    • Purchasing a boss item service such as Zakum Helmet/Skillbook, Horntail Pendant, Mark of Naricain is allowed, but you must be at most 5 levels below the boss that drops the item (ex: Zak/Scar 135+, HT 155+).
    • Special event items that are out-of-season are unobtainable. Can't dominate with Maple Weapons? Tough luck, find something else to work with. However, event chairs are completely fine.
    • CLARIFICATION NPC shops (ex: Lith Harbor potion store) are fair game no matter what.

[​IMG]

What are Milestones?

When challengers reach certain points in the game we have decided to ease the rules. This allows players to slowly progress towards becoming a normal character. I view this a a great way to advertise this challenge. Most challenges have the potential to hinder the long-term playability of characters, this challenge is not meant to be that way.

The Milestones
    If you have completed all non-boss Victoria Island mobs you can freely use all taxis on the island.
    2. If you reach the Orbis Station you gain access to warp NPCs like perion->ariant and naut->omega
    3. If you have obtained a tier 10 Monster Card ring and reached level 135 you have graduated the challenge and no longer have to follow the rules

I think this challenge will force people to think about the game in a way they may not have before. To me, that sounds incredibly fun! Please feel free to join the challenge and post about your journey and let's collect cards together!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 8
  2. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    To start out this journey I had random.org choose my class. The winner of that roll was Paladin! Accuracy issues are in my future :D

[​IMG]

Now for all the prep work so i can begin!

edit: mfw i can't pick up the card yet :(
    [​IMG]

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:36 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    following

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    8:36 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Cool journal, the rules seem well thought out :) Have fun!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Day 1 - Harbor Vibes
    Shoutout to Naked NockNaked Nock who is also attempting this challenge!

[​IMG]

As i stand outside the first portal ready to enter the challenge, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances. Right Around Lith Harbor was the first hurdle requiring the collection of three different mobs. It was a great way to ease into this new card collection mindset and went by rather quickly!

[​IMG]

Statistics
    Total Cards:
    Mesos:
    NX: 1,150
    Pumpkin Coins: 76
    Slash Blasts/Power Strikes used: 0

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kargo

Kargo Skelegon

Mar 5, 2015
    Male
    Holland
    8:36 AM
    Kargo
    Shadower
    Flow
    Cool! Nice and simple to follow rules as well. Good luck! SlimeCool:thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    4:36 PM
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    [​IMG]

upload_2023-11-8_11-54-47.png
    LET'S GOOOOOO.

upload_2023-11-8_12-1-26.png
    FML two illegal cards I can't loot..

upload_2023-11-8_12-2-15.png
    Annnd a third on the same map. I hate this challenge already.

upload_2023-11-8_12-33-31.png
    READY TO START!!

upload_2023-11-8_12-38-30.png
    Let us begin!

133503.jpg
    Someone gave us echo :)

133733.jpg
    After about an hour I'm still stuck on the first map. yay. That's all for now.

Summary:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 7
  8. dr0p

dr0p Slime

Jul 24, 2023
    2:36 PM
    dr0p
    I/L Arch Mage
    Can I just spend some time appreciating Skuire/Mushkid in the original post, who started the challenge from Maple Island and didn't have the extra exemption of job advancing? He reached level 15 on the second map of Maple Island and was finally able to job advance at level 29, wtf

9. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    One of the reasons the job exception exists is because Legends changed the way SP is distributed; and you now lose SP if you advance after level 14(?). So unfortunately the challenge needed to be modified to suit the current state of the server in 2023.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Naked Nock

Naked Nock Blue Snail

Jul 18, 2023
    Male
    1:36 AM
    TheGreatGats
    Chief Bandit
    moonbeam
    Well, here's my journey, so far...

Day One

I ended up using a character I had made a while back that was going to be a Paladin. I had voted a bit and had around 100k nx starting. So, right off the bat we've got a second paladin attempting the challenge. I maxed my use slots pretty quickly.

11.6.23 1 starting crop.png

As with the other two before, saw a couple snail cards on maple island and was immediately upset.

11.6.23 2 first card I can't have.png

second one:

11.6.23 3 second card.png

powered through, though and got a pair of red work gloves from the island, it's the little victories. Then went over to Perion to make the job advancement, thinking to myself it would be a long time until I actually got here outside of the next job advancement. Then I headed back to my home for a while, Lith Harbor...

11.6.23 6 first two cards.png

Slime was my first card, and it was also my first full set. I had also applied a code to this character when they had the promo, so I was blessed with a pet early on.

11.6.23 7 first full set (slime).png

A break was taken so we could run through the event quest line, it was a nice boost of exp on a lower level account. Upon returning I got my first gacha!

11.6.23 8 first gacha.png

My current plan is to save all my gachas until I arrive back in Perion. I'm unsure if I will hold out that long, because I am so bad at saving stuff like this up.

Finally finished the first map after a bit of time, but had a good time. Was enjoyable actually being excited by drops that would normally make me roll my eyes. Every little thing is a solid upgrade at this point.

11.7.23 1 final card for first map.png

Somewhere around here I decided to expand my etc. to 80 slots. The thought is to save most of my etc. items for quests, may be a bad move, we'll see.

Map two has our first "stump wall" as we've been calling it. Small stump spawn and an annoyingly large map...I was able to get my first card fairly quick and called it a night for day one.

11.7.23 3 stump 1st card.png

Day Two (so far)

Start of my hunt for today and I was full of lofty ambitions and moving on from the stumps, alas, I would not be so fortunate. The card I once was upset at not being able to pick up on Maple Island continues to taunt me, while the stump cards are nowhere to be found.

11.8.23 2 bane of my existence.png

I was able to find a pretty nice surfboard, tho. I also was able to grab one of the mouse pets from the event, which I love. I got a raffle ticket drop while hunting for the stump card. I was going to wait to use it for a bit, but I was getting demoralized by the lack of stump cards and figured I'd just spin now for a break...

11.8.23 1 spider venom earrings.png

I am extremely happy with these. I expected something bad to really kick me while I was down.

11.8.23 3 status.png

11.8.23 4 card book.png

Still spending a lot of time considering my approach, but for now, I have to get past this first stump wall...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    This looks fun.

Entry 0:

I'm playing a warrior class because it's the easiest to HP wash.

card1-1.png

Go To Entry:
    Entry 1 - Blue Snail, Red Snail, Slime
    Entry 2 - Snail
    Entry 3 - Pumpkin Spear
    Entry 4 - Stump, Bottomwear Jump 70%, Raccoon Mask
    Entry 5 - Missing Mushrooms
    Entry 6 - Stump Again
    Entry 7 - More Stump
    Entry 8 - Gold Surfboard, Pig, Ribbon Pig
    Entry 9 - More Pigs
    Entry 10 - Orange / Green / Blue Mushroom, Polearm Acc 30%, Talking Witch Hat
    Entry 11 - Zombie Army Ring, More Pigs, Mano
    Entry 12 - Mano, Worn Halloween Badge
    Entry 13 - Shroom, Henesys
    Entry 14 - Blue Mushroom, Nautilus, Pumpkin Lantern
    Entry 15 - Axe Stump, Overall DEX 60%, Eye Acc 60%, China, Thailand
    Entry 16 - Axe Stump Again, Silver Strap Shoes
    Entry 17 - Pet Equip Speed 60%, More Axe Stump, Ellinia
    Entry 18 - Dark Stump
    Entry 19 - More Dark Stump
    Entry 20 - More Dark Stump, Maple Pop, Sleepywood
    Entry 21 - Horny Mushroom, Octopus, Jr. Necki
    Entry 22 - Octopus, Lupin, Curse Eye, Spear Acc 30% / 70%
    Entry 23 - Henesys Not Passable, Dark Axe Stump
    Entry 24 - 2nd Job Advancement
    Entry 25 - Horny / Zombie Mushroom, Lupin
    Entry 26 - Curse Eye, Dark Axe Stump, Purple Marker
    Entry 27 - More Dark Axe Stump, Kerning City Not Passable, WIld / Fire Boar, Purple Marker
    Entry 28 - More Boars
    Entry 29 - More Boars
    Entry 30 - Fire Boar, Perion, Pooh Pooh Shovel
    Entry 31 - NLC, Spear Att 60%, Gloves Att 60%
    Entry 32 - Street Slime, Bubbling, Crow
    Entry 33 - Zombie Mushroom, Topwear STR 70%, Old Raggedy Cape, Red Sauna Robe
    Entry 34 - Urban Fungus, Brown Work Gloves, Tier 1 Monster Book Ring

Go To Rules

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  12. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Entry 1:

Started the first map to the right of Lith Harbor.

card2-1.png

The goal was to hunt one card from each of the three mobs and call it a day, but the Slime card refused to drop.

card2-2.png

Ended up collecting the Red Snail set first and even got a 6th Red Snail card. Luckily, shortly after, the first Slime card finally dropped.

card2-3.png

It took much longer than I wanted it to, but hopefully, there will be lucky moments to balance things out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Entry 2:

Hello again! I initially intended to farm "just one more card" before calling it a night, but that led to a series of "just one more card" moments.

card3-1.png

Surprisingly, I managed to complete both the Slime and Blue Snail card sets in under 30 minutes.

card3-2.png

As I ventured to the next map and assessed the new mobs, it appears that dealing with the Stump might be quite challenging. Well, it's time for me to say goodnight.

card3-3.png

• Like Like x 4
  14. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Day 2 - Zipangu!

My feeling of victory was short-lived after reaching the second Lith Harbor map. Thicket Around the Beach I and Stumps are going to be a problem, having both poor respawn times and not very many mobs. It made me reconsider how I'm going to approach this challenge. So, I switched my game plan and headed to Zipangu!

By heading to Zipangu, it gave me a better map to train on and allowed me to collect some more cards (a win-win situation). Training on the green and blue mushrooms will help me gain the levels I need to eventually hunt Lupins. Completing the Lupin card set is basically necessary to get to Kerning City (without taking the long way around).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Statistics
    Maps Cleared:
    Total Cards: 33
    Mesos: 46,299
    NX: 1,350
    Pumpkin Coins: 124
    Hatred for Stumps: over 9000!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  15. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Entry 3:

I began my morning with a brief farming session at Thicket Around the Bitch I, hoping to acquire some Stump cards.

card3-1.png

Unfortunately, no Stump cards dropped, but I did manage to complete the Snail card set and even dropped a raffle ticket.

card3-2.png

The real stroke of luck, though, was my second raffle pull, which yielded a nearly perfect Pumpkin Spear, only missing 2 accuracy.

This is an exciting and significant boost as I approach level 25.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bella

Bella Mixed Golem

Nov 7, 2015
    Female
    attach
    F/P Arch Mage
    ethereaI
    [​IMG]

Okay so I did technically do some of this last night, but I forgot to take screenshots. ANYWAY. I've cleared the first map and am now on to the second map Thicket Around the Beach I. I've spent about 4 hours total on this challenge, and at least 2 hours on this second map.

Collecting the green snail cards was super easy, they drops like it's hot - but stumps are the worst. There are only 4 stumps on the map and clearing the rest of the spawn sucks. This map sucks. Stumps suck. This challenge sucks!!!

upload_2023-11-9_7-30-18.png
    Status before I started my stump grind at 8AM this morning. 2/5 stump cards.

upload_2023-11-9_8-12-1.png
    One hour in, stump cards gained: ZERO

upload_2023-11-9_8-53-3.png
    The lack of cards was tanking my motivation so I went to Mount Song to get pretty.

upload_2023-11-9_9-41-56.png
    Two hours in, stump cards gained: ZERO

upload_2023-11-9_12-26-23.png
    Went to spin my raffles to ward off the depression and received some nice earrings + a pumpkin spear (which is absolutely no use to me lol).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  17. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Entry 4:

card4-1.png

Unfortunately, no Stump cards dropped despite several more attempts to hunt them and I'm running low on potions. I did get another raffle ticket.

card4-2.png

Went for two more pulls and obtained a Broomstick! While it may not have the highest attack, it boasts the best possible speed stat of 6, which will be incredibly helpful.

card4-3.png

Following the expert, I changed my route to Zipangu to hunt for mushrooms. Before doing that, I pulled three Common and one Rare Gacha. To my delight, I got a Bottomwear for Jump 70% scroll and a Raccoon Mask!

card4-4.png

Selling the mask will solve my pot issue, and now I have access to purchase Bottomwear for Jump 70% scrolls, potentially enhancing my mobility by scrolling a bottom piece.

I plan to hunt for a 3 speed White Gomushin from Orange Mushrooms and more pumpkin coins to exchange for the Zombie Army Ring, which will further enhance my mobility.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
  18. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Entry 5:

Alright, this will be my last entry for the week, until there's an update on the Stump cards.

card5-1.png

Thanks to my dumbass INT build, I'm missing all my hits on Green and Blue Mushrooms, as well as the Cloud Foxes, so for now, Stumps are my only path.

See you around in a week or two, perhaps even more.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    Wensleydale

Jul 6, 2023
    Male
    Wensleydale
    Warrior
    Day 3

This day was spent avoiding the reality that I'll have to kill stumps. Having collected most of the Zipangu: Mushroom Forest cards yesterday, I somewhat easily finished the remaining farming and cleared my second map! Continuing my ideal of prioritizing leveling over stumps, I headed to Thailand. There I went to hunt roosters and discovered that Thailand: Frog Pond was going to be an amazing and accessible training spot for this challenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why level instead of kill stumps?

All my homies hate stumps!... JK, sorta! There exist two major roadblocks to traversing Victoria Island. The first is the lone Lupin that resides in L Forest, and the second is the duo of Axe Stumps on the way to Ellinia. The axe stumps are especially problematic because the map is huge, the respawn rate is questionable, and, as stated before, there are only 2. It's more challenging than dealing with the stumps. However, Lupins also reside in Florina Beach, which is accessible through Lith Harbor. If I can bulk up in Zipangu, Thailand, and China, I can collect The Lupin set and make my way to Kerning City. Afterward, I can collect Axe Stump cards in Perion, which is going to be leagues easier than farming those two dreaded Axe Stumps in Ellinia. Will this plan work? I have no idea. :cry:

[​IMG]

Statistics
    Maps Cleared:
    Total Cards: 37
    Mesos: 183,562
    NX: 1,700
    Pumpkin Coins: 158
    Hatred for Stumps: still over 9000!

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Entry 6:

Sold my Raccoon Mask and bought a couple of Bottomwear for Jump 70% scrolls to scroll this jeans purchasable from Lith Harbor’s armor shop.

card6-1.png

The increased jump is a huge boost because of the multiple platforms in the map, and it feels really great traversing up and down.

card6-2.png

After countless short sessions of Stump hunting, the first card finally dropped! Shortly followed by a raffle ticket drop.

card6-3.png

As the drop was fixed after the maintenance, only 1 pull, but got an amazing chair!

card6-4.png
    (In case you are wondering about the trade message, I didn't have 100k vote cash to expand my inventory. Was trading potions with another character of mine that I had bought and stored pots on, so I don't have to keep going back to the shop to purchase them.)

Decided to end the session on a good note.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 1