1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Card Collector Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skuire, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    4:03 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    A cute new masochistic challenge inspired by Cob's Clearing MapleStory.

DA RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0. Fresh character.
    The challenge begins immediately on Maple Island.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may not progress from a map until you've collected all card sets of the monsters in that map.
    ---------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    EXAMPLE: In order to progress past Snail Hunting Ground I, you must collect 5/5 Snail cards. The next map (Snail Hunting Ground II) features Snails and Blue Snails. Since you've already completed Snails, you'll *just* need to collect 5/5 Blue Snail cards to continue.
    • Once you've completed a set, you have completed that monster for every map.
    • You can go back to previously cleared maps or explore alternatives whenever you like.
    • Taking a taxi or other instant warp NPC/scroll/portal to a map that you haven't otherwise "unlocked" is forbidden (ex: taking the taxi from Lith Harbor to Perion without unlocking every map in the route between). CLARIFICATION: Instant warps ARE allowed after you've properly unlocked their targets (ex: I can use Henesys scrolls/taxi to Henesys after I've reached Henesys).
    • Some areas/mobs don't have associated Monster Cards. Consider these free territory and do as you please.
    • Area bosses such as Mano and Stumpy are exempt from these rules and thus optional (this includes the special anti-botting mobs such as Shade in the Kerning Subway).
    • Mini-Dungeons and Hidden Streets within a map are not accessible until the map itself has been cleared.
    • If a death results in you warping to a map that has not been unlocked, you must return to an unlocked map immediately without touching anything (Return Scrolls recommended).
    2. No parties. Challengers must make their own way.

• Exceptions: Party Quests/Raids (your own discretion for these), Purchasing a (non-leech) service, Quests completable only with parties.
    3. Obvious: no self-gifting. It's not a challenge if you can give yourself all the meso/items you need. No begging/donations either!
    4. Free Market buying/selling/trading is allowed, however you cannot buy/trade for an item until you've obtained that item at least once by yourself (ex: You cannot purchase a Gun for Att 60% scroll until you manage to obtain one from somewhere in the Maple World). This gives the challenge an Ironman-esque flair without being too self-punishing.
    • Exceptions: skillbooks only obtainable from raid bosses (ex: Berserk 20, 30) can be purchased regardless.
    • Purchasing a boss item service such as Zakum Helmet/Skillbook, Horntail Pendant, Mark of Naricain is allowed, but you must be at most 5 levels below the boss that drops the item (ex: Zak/Scar 135+, HT 155+).
    • Special event items that are out-of-season are unobtainable. Can't dominate with Maple Weapons? Tough luck, find something else to work with.
    • CLARIFICATION: NPC shops (ex: Lith Harbor potion store) are fair game no matter what.
    • Optional Rule: Your character detests hand-me-downs. Buying pre-scrolled (unclean) items is forbidden.

FORESEEABLE CONCERNS (aka FEATURES)
    • You're going to be inadvertantly grinding. A lot.
    • Seriously, you're gonna get walled by Blue Snails on the second map of Maple Island. Are you sure you really wanna do this?
    • Getting a job will be a pain in the butt. Don't expect to get your first advance before level 3x.
    • I've heard the road from Lith to Kerning has a map with a single troll Lupin, so good luck ever becoming a Thief via that route. Actually, good luck becoming a Thief at all considering you're going to have to traverse all the way from Lith to Kerning (the LONG way) with the majority of your points in LUK... STRdit meta anyone???
    • Gachapon will be very important for unlocking certain scrolls and items (thankfully we have the Victoria gacha system for this)
    • The ultimate goal: to unlock every map? to finish the monster book ring?? to defeat Pink Bean???
    [​IMG]
    I've attempted a bit of the challenge thus far and I'll be reporting on my progress soon. Please feel free to join in on this thread if you're man enough to attempt it yourself! Calling out cobbagescobbages because he said he's interested and I know he loves new characters and self-torturing challenges.
    OnionMuha

btw no, MQv2 is not dead. in fact Skucci just made his 300th vote! SlimeShocked

• Like Like x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. cobbages

cobbages Designer Staff Member Graphics Designer

Dec 11, 2019
    Male
    Maple Island
    6:03 AM
    Clearing
    Bandit
    None
    hmm..yes OnionSmoking

i look forward to your progress logs.

3. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    I remember there's also an iron hog in L Forest somewhere.

4. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Not gonna do this, but some thoughts based on the rules:
    -The easiest job to take is pirate. Only archers have an easier 1st job to reach but they have a much harder time reaching the 2nd job NPC (Golem in Hensys Dungeon Entrance), while Pirate has a relatively straight forward time reaching Nautilus and don't need to go anywhere else for 2nd job. The only tricky parts are Ribbon Pig in Thicket Around the Beach II (no shortcut for this but everyone has to deal with it anyways), and Blue Mushroom. Instead of getting it in Forest East of Henesys, it's probably a lot easier to go to Mushroom Shrine and get it from Mushroom Forest instead. (Or L Forest III if you count Spinel as a warp NPC which is stupid because then you can also count Shani as one which means you're never leaving Maple Island but I'm not the one doing the challenge). You can also make progress with Green Mushroom here so you don't have to do/need to do less of it in HHG1.
    -Do Iron Hog in Pig Park and Lupin in Downstairs of the Forest/Monkey Forest I instead. The main problem in Victoria Island is Golem, which is a huge pain to get Henesys Dungeon Entrance, and the alternative involves entering Sleepywood from Perion, grabbing Jr. Boogie on the way in Land of Wild Boar (severla at 5min, which is a lot better than dealing with 1 at 3 hours in Sleepy Dungeon III), then clearing Dark Golems in Slepey Dungeon III to access the mini dungeon in Sleepy Dungeon IV.
    -You're gonna need to get Yepes, Dark Jr Yetis, Dark Yetis and Dark Pepes before you can do 3rd job advance, so good luck with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    By the time one leaves Maple island (lv20 maybe, unless you're lucky) the ribbon pigs in Lith Harbour will be a joke and the Green/Blue mushrooms in Henesys won't be a problem to kill, other than being annoyed at the low spawn rates for blues. I wouldn't advise "skipping" the Slime maps on maple island since they have much better spawns than Lith Harbour

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crane

Crane Orange Mushroom

May 31, 2015
    Male
    3:03 AM
    Mattchu
    Beginner
    What if a player were to die close to a town they haven’t been to yet and get respawned in that town. Can they benefit from being there? Or what should their course of action be?

For example: I die collecting on my way from mush shrine->Showa, can I buy a green paintbrush or bathrobe? Can I buy milk to go back to mushroom shrine? I’ve been to that area, so I understand I can use it, but I’d have to access the bathhouse to do so in a town I shouldn’t be in yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. cobbages

Dec 11, 2019
    Male
    Maple Island
    Clearing
    Bandit
    None
    not my thread BUT i would simply just make sure i had a return scroll to an unlocked town. for instance on the way to henesys from lith harbor, making sure you have lith harbor return scrolls so that you are prepared to go back when necessary for repot and inventory clearing.

8. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    You can also buy paintbrush in Ninja Castle which is free to get to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Then you're in a map that you're not "allowed" to be in, so you'll have to return as quickly as possible without talking to anybody/picking anything up basically.

just dont die lol SlimeLaugh

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Mushkid's Card Collection, Chapter 1:
    Concerning Birth and Origin of the Mushkid

[​IMG]
    Say hello to Mushkid! He's a big fan of mushroomgames.

[​IMG]
    Now say hello and goodbye to the last easy card set we're ever going to see. Except maybe those Pinbooms in aquaroad if Mushkid ever makes it that far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Take your first look at what we're going to be dealing with a whole lot in this challenge: Maps with a few spawns of a monster that we'll be forced to grind in until, by sheer force of effort, 5/5 cards are achieved.

[​IMG]
    Other than inadvertently becoming an Islander in the second map of Maple Island, it wasn't all that bad.

[​IMG]
    The next map, A Split Road, has a bunch of Snails, Blue Snails, and a few Shrooms. I was anticipating another big wall here, but it didn't end up being very difficult.

[​IMG]
    Next on the chopping block: Stumps. It became clear right away that this map was not the right choice for the buggers. There are only a few spawns up top and you need to kill a whole slew of lil critters before they'll ever show up again.

[​IMG]
    THANKFULLY, the Southperry route has a much better Stump layout while also providing Red Snails and Orange Mushies.

[​IMG]
    Getting this **lucky** Purse drop sped things up a whole lot as well.

[​IMG]
    It was an epic saga, but at last the snails, shrooms, and stumps did break against the iron stoicism of the Mushkid.

[​IMG]
    Finally every part of Maple Island that matters (sorry Pigs and Slimes) opened up for us.
    Mushkid got RICH on event drops from all that grindin. Cheesy to say the least, but hey I'll take it. SlimeSmile

[​IMG]
    Maple Island is FINISHED. No, I'm not repentant enough to try and hunt Pigs and Slimes here too. If you are, I salute you.

[​IMG]
    Mushkid's stats at level 21. I figure he'll need a bunch of INT to be able to un-gimp his HP from 30+ levels of beginnerdom. In all likelihood I'll be adding even more in the future. I mean, what kind of challenge would this be if I didn't hamstring myself with an unhealthy amount of INTelligence on an already pathetic character? SlimeSmile

To Be Continued...

• Like Like x 5
  11. gerg123

gerg123 Mano

Sep 18, 2020
    Male
    12:03 PM
    This is awesome, I'll be following this thread. Would be even better if u made a Youtube channel but I guess that is too much work :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    I'll be building a better computer soon (and finally giving up my beastly 2010 Dell laptop) so this is 100% a possibility. I would really love to get into video editing too. SlimeSmile

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    1:03 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    You're crazy
    No I am not joining you
    I'll be watching safely sanely from the sidelines
    Still wondering what happened to
    cobbagescobbages 's version

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PrettyLights

PrettyLights Timer

Oct 11, 2017
    3:03 AM
    Are you the same person who grinded to lv 99 before the first reactor in ff7?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. cobbages

Dec 11, 2019
    Male
    Maple Island
    Clearing
    Bandit
    None
    it died with my soul amidst the challenge.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Mushkid's Card Collection, Chapter 2:
    Mushkid on the Road

Sick (possibly covaids???), woke up at 4AM, and couldn't get back to sleep so here's another update. SlimeSmile

[​IMG]
    H
    ere's our first challenge of Victoria Island.

[​IMG]
    Nothing terribly hard, and we even got a Gold Surfboard. This thing is so good, it's essentially the level 15 Maple Weapon for first job melee classes.

[​IMG]
    Never thought I'd use these damn things for anything other than throwing away, but surprisingly they're the best attack pot available to us at this point. Yeah, no Cokebear in Lith..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up... Thicket Around The Beach II is a doozy. There's only a precious few Pig/Rig spawns at the very top of this map, and you've got to clear out the bottom slime pit every 10-15 pigs. Quite the grind.

[​IMG]
    Got this dumb cape from raffle which is probably worth like 2m cuz I see at least 3 people get one every hour. Debatably better than an icecream hat though.

[​IMG]

Long and arduous was the pig grind. Mushkid even took a few shopping trips here and there simply to break up the monotony. Fish Spear is good for walking around (+4 speed lul) and the 1h Bamboo Sword lets us use up our massive stock of red shells.

[​IMG]
    YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Mushkid doesn't give up. But I'd be lying if I said this was not the gnarliest grind by far.

[​IMG]
    Our final target on the road to Henesys: Green Mushies at HHG1.
    HOWEVER... Mushroom Forest is WAY better for greenies, features blues as well, and is conveniently accessible from Mushroom Shrine. Thanks for the insight DMs :5head:

[​IMG]
    At last, Henesys! We can finally get a pet because I was too dumb to stock up on petfoods in Amherst. Also, cokepills. SlimeShocked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Be Continued...

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Mushkid's Card Collection, Chapter 3:
    Mush Outta Luck
    [​IMG]
    I
    t was tough, it took a few sessions, but FINALLY blue mushrooms have been completed. This opens up the most important route yet:

[​IMG]
    The road to employment.

[​IMG]
    Bam. Level 29 isn't too late to advance, right?

[​IMG]
    Really though, this is a ginormous power spike for Mushkid. Double Shot feels almost godlike after 29 levels of whacking off.

[​IMG]
    Now for Mushkid to spend all of those tickets he's been hoarding. Cross your fingers for that WS!

[​IMG]
    Wow, ok, it was all trash. The only redeemable thing was a Yellow Adventurer Cape, but you'd really expect something better from a 30 ticket run. Oh well.

[​IMG]

Immediately after Nautilus is the next brick wall: this map before Ellinia with 2 (two) Axe Stump spawns. I messed around here for a few minutes and it didn't seem impossible... but surely there's something better and more interesting we could be doing, right?

So I got to thinking... are Lupins really all that bad?

[​IMG]
    And of course! How did it never occur to me?! Florina Beach is our ticket to Kerning City, the short way.

[​IMG]
    A plan was formulating: First, the Lupins in Florina; then, the Hogs in Henesys (the map before Mushmom). then the octopi but who cares about them.

[​IMG]
    One thing is clear: Mushkid is gonna have to get a whole lot stronger before he takes on any monkeys, let alone those iron porkers. Training arc incoming?!?!?!

-------------------------

To Be Continued...
    -------------------------

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    12:03 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Man you're an inspiration. Reading this I thought about doing it myself like 10 times, only to remember my personality and knowing that I'd throw my pc out the window by the 3rd card.

The positive thing on your many gach items is that you've unlocked all those items to be bought from the fm in the future!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1