1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Unfinished Tale of Bob the Snail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrJason, Sep 23, 2022.

1. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    3:59 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    Jay's curiosity is a questline lv35+ that involves Bob the Snail. After finding the maple history books (lv 25 quest) Jay learns about Bob and tasks you to find him.

https://maplelegends.com/lib/quest?id=4928 (here is the quest info)

You kill Bob in Drake's meal table and then show it to a bunch of NPC's around Victoria Island to learn about Bob. He is apparently as old as the maple universe and has helped various people. We also learn from Jay that snails are born on maple island. During one of the sub-quests, the Rememberer steals him and you have to fetch another snail shell to trick him into taking an imposter Bob instead. You bring him to Jay at the end and he mentions some place that Bob would like to visit, and the questline ends. All of this is what is currently coded in Legends.

I did some research and apparently this quest line was NEVER completed in GMS (or any server presumably). The Legends library (pulls quests from the original wz files) shows that there are some sub-quests which are currently missing. These are listed in the library but are empty, un-startable quests:

https://maplelegends.com/lib/quest?id=4939
    https://maplelegends.com/lib/quest?id=4935
    https://maplelegends.com/lib/quest?id=4934
    https://maplelegends.com/lib/quest?id=4933
    https://maplelegends.com/lib/quest?id=4937 (this one has dialogue and even breaks the 4th wall, very funny)

In addition, Bruce mentions talking to Winston near Perion (one of the quests above) but this is not necessary to complete the quest for some reason. And there is no satisfactory conclusion to the quest. What am I supposed to do with Bob?!

I just wanted to share this unfortunate instance of missing Maplestory lore in case anyone in the future wonders why this quest ends so abruptly. Personally I have kept Bob with me ever since completing this quest 4 years ago (he is droppable btw).

Why do you think Neckson never finished this quest and how do you think they should have ended it?

• Like Like x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 4
  2. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    9:59 AM
    Beginner
    I think you have to drop bob to get those quests if I remember correctly. Its been years since I completed it.

3. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    It ends by bringing Bob to a place where he feels safe enough to come back out of his shell. He was born on maple island so you should take him to a place that resembles ''Snail Hunting Ground 1''. Too bad that this quest ends so abruptly indeed as it would make for a happy ending to Bobs sad tale.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    The quests don't actually exist, which is what I am pointing out: that Neckson intended for this story to go further but just forgot about it

5. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    12:59 AM
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    Remember this copypasta?
    • “You and a super intelligent snail both get 1 million dollars, and you both become immortal, however you die if the snail touches you. It always knows where you are and slowly crawls toward you. What's your plan?”

It’d be cool to have Bob come back to haunt the player that killed it.
    • Randomly spawn and crawl towards player on ANY map (boss rooms included)
    • 1x touch = 50k dmg
    • Pay Quest NPC 100m mesos to make Bob stop spawning in your maps

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. benQ

benQ Pac Pinky

Oct 14, 2016
    Male
    3:59 PM
    benQ
    Bishop
    maple
    sounds like the horror movie 'it follows' :oldman:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    They should have made a female chief of Perion when Amoria came out... They could hook me up with her, you know? Maybe then, I might not have been starving every depressing night myself only to find that I cooked too much for a one-man-meal... I don't know when was the last time I had a decent food on my table...

Balrog is one of us.
    Coomer™ back in 2006

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. d3lm

d3lm Selkie Jr.

May 11, 2020
    Male
    2:59 PM
    I, too, have kept bob in my inventory after all these years just in case. Hoping something pops up after I reach lvl 200 but nope, nothing so far...

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    5:59 PM
    Bump.

Jay's Curiosity is one confusing hell of a mess. It doesn't help many details are missing from the original narrative.

Perhaps more ideas were planned, but honestly I think Jay's Curiosity would have ended up like most other quests in the game.

To illustrate that, I give an example.

According to the library, Bob is there not only as a mob, but also as an NPC.

[​IMG]

Assume he is moved to a map called "Empty Forest".

[​IMG]

I'd put a Snail Statue (NPC) at the top platform of Kerning City Middle Forest III, so when I click on it, I'd be warped in to the map to meet him.

In the original quest, Jay says: "I've seen a place around here that looked just like Snail Hunting Ground I of Maple Island. He's known to be born from that place and he might feel safer to come out if he's there."

In v62, Snail Hunting Ground I looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I imagine when this quest was written, Snail Hunting Ground was probably described looking more like this:
    [​IMG] (credit: Wayback Hidden Street)

Either way, I don't think any maps like that can be found anywhere on Victoria Island. So I'd probably be likely to create a new map inspired by it:

[​IMG]

Or, I'd copy the same map used for Snail Hunting Ground I but instead place the portal at the top of the map rather than having it at the bottom right.

What's said last in Jay's Curiosity is: "Just talk to me one more time. Let me look for the directions.". And that obviously doesn't happen.

Here, I'd open a new quest and have Jay tell me where I can find the "Empty Forest". Then, upon getting there, I'd find Bob and complete the task (Jay's Curiosity will still be active).

---

From here, Bob could initiate a series of quests, starting with Grendel The Really Old's Glorious Days.

To me, Grendel The Really Old's Glorious Days and Gwin's Thanks seem to fit well because of how I read the last line in Grendel:

"I don't know. I would think Bob is very mad at you at this moment. Maybe you can ease his mind if you comfort him somehow. I wouldn't really know how to [go] about that though."

Once Gwin gives his thanks, return to Bob (at "Empty forest") to begin the other uncoded quests.

---

Now, Bob initiates the other quests. Every time a new quest starts, Bob will ask the player to free up one ETC inventory space because you will have to take him everywhere in order to complete the quests.

(In the library, Bob's Snail Shell exists twice. I'd make the "untradeable" version as the item to get from Bob himself.)

The Rememberer's Passion
    Part 1: Give Bob's Snail Shell
    Part 2: Give one Snail Shell to The Rememberer. (Bob is "missing", so you won't need him.)

After the task is completed, return to Bob (at "Empty Forest") who will debrief you on how he "returned" back to his map "safely".

I'd delete the text you read from under the section "Quest Complete", and instead initiate Part II.

Part 1: (talk to Dances with Balrog's)
    Part 2: Collect Drake Skull.

Note: Drake Skull is used in Third Material for Building a New House — a quest available only to Magician.

Blackbull's Mistake
    Pre-requisite: Building a New House For "Blackbull"

Collect Mixed Block.

Note: Blackbull is just looking for "stronger" material to use to build his house.

Cody's Confession

Talk to Cody.

Note: Cody doesn't believe in "Bob the Snail".

Bruce's Research
    Pre-requisite: I Need to Find My Daughter

Talk to Bruce.

Winston's Scheme
    Pre-requisite: Bruce's Research

Talk to Winston and collect Skeledog's Bone and Dirty Bandage.

Note: Winston's quests are mostly set in the Excavation Site.

Manji's Approval
    Pre-requisite: Maya and the Weird Medicine

Collect Wild Boar Tooth, Fire Boar's Tooth, and Iron Boar Armor.

Note: Fire Boar's Tooth is used in Maya's Second Collection — a quest available only to Bowman.

Once all the quests are completed, return to Bob. He will give you a note which you pass to Jay (to complete Jay's Curiosity).

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. TallBird

TallBird Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    Male
    CrumbCake
    Crossbowman
    none
    Omg I had completely forgotten about Bob! I remember being invested in the story back in the day and assumed it would continue when I got stronger, but 100+ levels later it never happened and I forgot about it. It's a shame a continuation was never actually made. It would've been cool to see how the story ended.