1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about new players' well-being

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T2Smile, Nov 28, 2023.

Do you agree new players are getting tougher to reach most of goals than before?

1. Super agree

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Kind of agree

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Neutral

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Kind of disagree

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  5. Strongly disagree

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    6:28 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I'd imagine this would heavily affect non-multimagers as well as you'd lose the ability to get NX through self-leech, or give NX to a friend. Depending on what you classify as 'items' it could also potentially remove card-hunting service or the ability to give friends cards or help them card hunt. It could also hurt questing in groups or farming quest items with others.

There's a lot of potential drawbacks here.

2. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    9:28 AM
    Ah yes, card and nx services would be gone. But if we feel like those are important, (and to be honest I think it's good for the server) then we could allow nx and cards to be looted, why not. And untradeable quest items could also be excluded as well. I hope that wouldnt be too much work to code? I dont know :confused:

So just meso and items cant be looted by others. And this way multi-clienters would need to move the character itself to loot, and wouldnt affect single client farmers at all

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    My guess is that it wouldn't affect much in terms of future multifarming strategies, as most of these strategies revolve around self-sweeping, meaning at most this is a band-aid solution.

4. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    Yah I imagine it would only affect FMA (full map attack, but for some full metal alchemist) which...is still a huge portion of multi-client farming. And Shad farming can easily be adjusted by changing pickpocket or whatever it's called.

What other problem does this potentially pose other than the ones that can be mitigated by "white listing" untradeable quest items (and potentially nx and cards)?

I think overall goal of balance should head towards encouraging item/scroll farming and away from meso farming for multi-client farming. More items will make the economy healthier comparsd to more meso causing inflation

5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    8:28 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i actually think looting nx/cards allow for some pretty nasty strats

6. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    That's great, as long as its meso moving between players, that shouldnt worsen inflation, and would give more opportunities for new players to sell services

Also people can do that now, with or without this change

7. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    Ya thats true but there’s something very unnatural about a lv7 char with t10 ring and as for nx, it’s already a pretty big problem bc you can focus nx on 1 character.

8. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    ? Are you saying that's a problem right now? :confused: because people right now can also funnel cards/nx
    Or are you saying nx and/or cards should also be unable to be looted by other characters?

9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think it’s a been a problem already and i’m prob one of the biggest beneficiaries from looting nx/cards. looting nx is like time travel and ring progression should feel like an adventure

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    4:28 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    While I agree with a lot of what you said here, I do think that the current state of the game isn't so bad, for all players new and old. Not to say improvements/changes are not needed, but rather than focus on monetary gains from bosses, I do believe it is better to give bosses a more universal system that can directly affect a character's gear/power, much like how the Prestigious Coin is a universal system that handles how White Scrolls/Chaos Scrolls are handled through bossing and farming/gach. I am not sure how such a system could look like, but it can be some infinitely growing item like a crusader's codex that GMS had and upgraded as you got more cards.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    It's another hit to party grinding, in which unlootable meso bags are already annoying and unintuitive, and the general casual, nostalgic maple experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It’s not bad at all, no. I just don’t think there’s any solution to be found to multifarming outside of going for the throat (directly addressing the imbalance between bossing profitability and gacha profitability vs initial set up cost/effort). Anything else has workarounds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    White Knight
    I think it’s pretty obvious that the core issue itself is multi clienting, which allows multi farming which was never an intended mechanic of this game. It also makes the server feel off compared to the player count as well. That said, it’s pretty obvious it’s never gonna be directly addressed and rules changed to not allow it on this server. I think having more content that rewards active focused attention/social play would be a better. Especially if it offered better or similar return to the effort/time it takes in order to multi. I think reasonable boosts should be made/added that’s directed towards single client playing. PQ reworks would be awesome as well as more content for mid game ish levels, which I’ve seen is supposed to be happening and is cool. Nerfs that affect players that don’t take advantage of it feels very unfair and typically hurt casuals more than the actual people doing it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think last time they rewarded gameplay rather than pure afk was adding gach (and subsequently nx) into the drop table

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Ehh the CWK buffs (adding pcoin, and recent round of sign buffs and qol stuff) are pretty big buffs to active gameplay. Would like to see more of that in bossing though.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    oh right i forgot that counts too

17. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    My moment of saying ''I told you so'' in this thread

That being said this is a long problem i've been saying.
    And while i could put all the blame on multimaging the main core issue comes from multiclienting and the moderators refusing to tackle the main issues

Ultimately ruining many fun aspects of the game
    The Wellbeing of new players should've never been making a bishop and sell leech, and this may be a hot take for many, but why has it become accepted that if anyone wants to fund a character they must make 1 or more mages and sell leech/multifarm to catch up with other players is beyond me, multiple threads always boils down to

''Nothing stops you from mutlimaging yourself'' when that's such an unfun way to play the game
    Multimages break the market, new players farming scrolls get devalued for the increased influx of these.
    E.G. A new player wanting Helm Dex 60% to sell, will generate less because 3-4 mage farmers hogging the maps and then making quintuple the scrolls.

The gacha change, while well intentioned has single handledly ruined the game, since Gacha loot has always been a source of income for new players, and while there could be an argument that white and chaos scrolls should only be obtainable by the latter end.
    The game has turned into a farmfest , where whoever farm more tickets (mages) or bosses more (aka any endgame player) has c ontrol over the market.

A new player may get 40 gachas and run out of meso with the changes, while getting 0 good drops from them.
    All mobbing scrolls or PQ rewards are worth trash.

Meanwhile mage farmers get 300 gachas guaranteeing multiple scrolls to oversupply the market and devalue any scroll that could normally be dropped.

Events have become mostly unfun, since i always liked the idea of raffles, of course events become more and more tedious since there's no measure for RaffleMule1 Rafflemule2 rafflemule3 to 10 to just exploit it, reducing drop rates by balancing the event around them ,or just making rewards for players over 120, new players go broke before this.

This has been a long-occuring problem, but until the developers put their foot down and value the new/monoaccount players rather than avoid the outrage of the degenerates who take the fun out of this game either exploiting events, or complaining about their 1billion meso with their penta mage strats, then this game will just cater more and more towards it

Even the HP challenges didnt need to exist, when they just could make HP washing cheaper and easier, but they avoid butthurting the people who cry about their unfun 2 years worth of voting, and extending the problem rather than fix it

I am not addressing this post to anyone in specific, no mods , or players, there's many examples of players and pinpointing on a developer or all would be unfair, but all i'm saying is this not a difficult issue.

Again, it really will depend if the game wants to value the feelings of some players or the health of the game.
    Also leech becoming easier it has been said before but basically you all encourage new players to sell leech which increases supply, then everyone has characters to leech themselves and those without a mage ironically get less meso
    Big supply, lower demand = lower prices.

But oh well...back to my hole i go, see you next year

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the meta for 1 client would have just been goby farming or something like that and people would just transfer nx and mesos within the account similar to the the time before you joined the server. also most of the problems you listed above came from multivoting rather than multiclienting.

unpopular take: even if multivoting was probably the worst balancing decision to happen on legends, it might have bridged the server through its darkest days

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    3:28 PM
    Moderator Post
    I don't agree with some of these points. For starters, the need for catering to new players and/or single-account players is easy to identify as a problem, much less to properly solve.

Multiclienting is not a concept that can just be "patched out" of the game (technically speaking, this may be a limitation of myself; I'm not aware of any way to efficiently identify and block a person connecting on a second account, without it affecting different people connecting from the same household/place, while at the same time correctly blocking secondary computers and VMs, without however disabling VM usage as a whole, as it might be the only option for certain OS or machines to work).
    The only way would be making it a game rule. A rule that comes 8 years too late, that requires a lot of manual monitoring, and multiple caveats (excluding different people from the same household - which would require some sort of whitelisting, and also making sure one of the people isn't exploiting that by themselves - , maybe excluding certain features - the removal of storage mules risks making drop trading more relevant, for example).
    This would then need to be followed by a lot of content rebalancing, as the removal of multi characters into bosses wouldn't automatically bring new players to "fill" the required slots.

We've been starting to uncap the event content, to even out the playing field. And then we'll work on rebalancing it in this way.
    I've briefly touched on this subject before, but, while multifarming (event or not) is not fun and not something a new player would want to approach, you can't ignore it in balancing. If you let it be free and just balance on everyone else, once it gets established and refined as a technique, it slowly becomes a new standard and almost expected method.

Quite the opposite. HP washing as a mechanic itself is bad, it enables character builds the game wasn't designed to support. Just making it easier to do doesn't do much good at all.
    And also, the new questlines that will be coming are gonna be an injection of new content for players between levels 100 (or 120, depending on how entertaining one finds the first two tiers I guess, which are the smallest) and 180. To me, that sounds like something I'd rather have, than not.

Also, this concept that we're holding back to avoid the wrath of old players (whatever exactly that might even mean). I'd like some more discussion on that. It was also brought up by RasoRaso , though I still haven't been answered about which content we are refraining from pushing out, as was claimed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i wouldn't say wrath but every generation or so there'd be a few hp wash/ap reset posts on the forums so there's an "i did it so you do it" mentality. ironically the people who argued against our generation (summer 2017) went on to get 1 shot by toad and future content as bosses started hitting harder. at some point we all learn 30k is the way to go

edit:
    suggestion by new players
    toad introduced

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023