1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about new players' well-being

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T2Smile, Nov 28, 2023.

Do you agree new players are getting tougher to reach most of goals than before?

1. Super agree

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Kind of agree

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Neutral

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Kind of disagree

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Strongly disagree

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    6:17 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    This is an underrated comment. Blindly following the meta usually won’t put you ahead unless you’re willing to put an exceptional amounts of hours in. Even when I was quad maging I was only generating around 20-25m an hour profit, since it was so saturated at the time, which is pretty similar to what I would’ve been making just selling skele leech. Usually the best strategies involve getting creative, filling a niche, and not doing what everyone else is doing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    8:17 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    most of the time following a guide implies you're efficiently mirroring their inefficiencies (^:

• Like Like x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Shad meta is washed. Wait till people find out about multi-maple island farming.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    this guy really out here leaking all of the experimental strats

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    9:17 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    One day there will be people multi farming every map in the game and no one else can play. A true paradise :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    9:17 PM
    u guys forgot the best strat
    inheritance ;)

7. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    3:17 PM
    Moderator Post
    Is the fact that multi-X (be it maging, DK, and whatnot) gets nerfed, a core problem for a new player?
    The thread started with suggestions in the form of introducing more APQ-like content, aka simple to pick up, rewarding, requiring player interaction, which is definitely a good suggestion.
    However, even in that case, new content would not be designed to reach the same wealth generation values of nerfed content, as that was the very point of the nerf; it would exist alongside those "watered down" techniques, and a player would be able to pick their path, mix and match. Basically, stripping power from multi-farming and giving it to healthier content.

Indeed, the nerfs to strategies aren't aimed at deleting them off the game, but simply making them much harder to scale up in an efficient way, because that makes them a bit more controllable.

Contrary to what I assume is a diffused belief, we're not an evil organization waiting on players' efforts to figure out a new creative way, before crushing their fun. But balancing the game around the way some of those strats can scale is very hard, especially once they become popular enough; the more people do it, the more it becomes mainstream and almost "required" to progress at what's become the majority of players' pace.

I'm bringing this up now because I feel that the last pages of this thread are focusing heavily on the concept that knowing the latest trend in multi-farming is vital for a new player, which is something I'd personally want the server to move away from. The same effect that we're working on for washing, let's say. Emphasis on "working on".

I'm focusing solely on the multi-farming aspect, for now, though I'm aware that there's other points to bring up, like potion prices and whatnot.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It’s a difficult question to answer, and balancing game economies for live games is arguably the most difficult thing you can do. Even giants in the industry have fucked this aspect up royally in the past (Blizzard and WoD garrisons immediately comes to mind).

To me, one of the biggest issues with the game is that other than PB, bossing content does not generally scale well with earning potential vs. total time spent on the server. As you play over time, it becomes difficult to scale income through doing bosses (other than PB) because most “endgame bosses” are either the same level or profitability than lower level bosses (Zakum) or even lower (most of NT, BGA, Toad), especially when accounting for the ability to run lower level content with less people.

Meanwhile, farming scales pretty much at a linear rate: you make a second farmer, you make double the money. You sell two channels of leech, you farm with 6 mages, etc. Multifarming just scales incredibly well, and you can do it for as many hours as you’re available, compared to bosses that can only be done once or twice a day.

Most people don’t, or can’t, participate in this kind of play style. It’s anti-social and for most players, anti-fun. The issue is, it’s highly scalable and also requires incredibly low investment compared to bossing. The total cost to leech a mage to multimage levels is a few hundred mill. They need no gear. The total cost for a single attacker to produce the same hourly income as that one naked mage is… billions?

Farming is just so incredibly cost efficient in terms of set up and so incredibly scalable no matter the set up compared to bossing. Niche incentive strategies usually can only fill a small market, and it’s not viable to ask the entire server to get creative. Realistically, everyone is going to be using one of the same half dozen money making strategies everyone else is using, but between the two major categories of bossing and farming/leeching, one of them is significantly more accessible AND profitable than the other.

There is no world where multi farming and multi leech can be eliminated entirely, I think, it’s just too easy to do and there’s no way BT can possibly eliminate all paths to multifarming. I would, however, like to see bossing income scale better as players level up and get stronger to at least provide a better alternative to farming especially given that bossing has limited entries to begin with.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    maplelegends is a grand strategy game

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    After thinking about it a bit more, I think it distills to an imbalance of accessibility. This is going to cause a bit of controversy, but I think it's at the core of why multifarming is problematic.

You can get one of the most expensive items in the entire game at level 1 (CS/WS) if you're lucky enough. No other game has this problem. The reason why multifarming is so accessible is it doesn't matter how strong you are, you can kill literally any monster in the game. As long as you're generating gacha, you're generating money.

Gachas are ridiculously problematic when trying to balance the economy. I don't know an elegant way of fixing it that isn't inherently convoluted but as long as gachas exist in their current state, multifarming will never go away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    have you seen the absurdity of my meso making guide for beginners

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    White Knight
    I'd argue the fact that all the staffs solutions to multi-x farming have directly affected/punished players that do not participate in that type of gaming, which is a problem for new/casual players.(IE: Skill drop rate nerfs, pots increase etc...). I'd argue Leech/Mule story in general is not very appealing for a lot of new players and the heavy emphasis on it in this server feels pretty wack in my opinion.

13. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    pot price increases was supported by the casual community because they thought it stops multimages. it's just become a really nice way to tax the poor

edit:
    comments section of these threads:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...r-event-2022-balance-changes-explained.46741/
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/potions-cost-renewal.40520/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    White Knight
    That's actually pretty hilarious and poorly thought out lol

15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Honestly even going back through those comment sections there were already concerns raised about the impact on casual non-mage players. Pretty much all the comments are against the potion changes on behalf of casual players.

16. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    3:17 PM
    Moderator Post
    That's true, the way gachas currently work is a major pain. Fixing this requires many steps though, because of how ingrained in the meta they are.

I see this argument, but I wonder if there even are ways to tune down multi-farming without affecting single-farming. The closest we came to a satisfying middle ground, between effectiveness and side effects, in my opinion, was the hit to max ult casts without moving; and even that does have its valid criticism.
    Character-bound prizes from PQs and whichever other content we'll rework could offset some of those changes (like the potion costs).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I agree wholeheartedly. The solution has to begin with the PQ rework so that new and low level players actually interested in playing the game have a viable and rewarding way of making progress, as any potential changes to gacha or farming will otherwise negatively affect this population.

Once the new level curve is securely in place through the PQ channel, then you can begin exploring removing gacha availability from lower level monsters, or tweaking gacha in some form to prevent infinitely scaling farming abuse of weak monsters.

18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    look past page 5 of first link
    you can search pot prices on ml discord too

edit: added a few more links

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/pot-prices-for-new-players.46882/

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/reduce-the-price-of-basic-potions.46061/page-2

19. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    Meso/items/nx being unable to be picked up by anyone other than the person that whited the mob would nerf a lot of multi farming setup i'd imagine. Not perfect solution, as shad/DK wouldnt be as harshly affected by this change, but pretty good start

20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    thats really just a temp 2-3b hit to multimagers that annoys everyone else