1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Get beginner mage back

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by samud3, Dec 22, 2023.

1. samud3

samud3 Mano

Apr 1, 2022
    7:42 AM
    Beginner, Camper, Islander, Warrior, Fighter
    As somewhat of a new player i feel that the server is too much about how old you played to become good and for newer players it is almost impossible to catch up.
    Now I totally understand that some thing cannot be fixed for example the event nx farming (where older players will just have today 3m nx to start which make a new player impossible to catch up) but why would you take away begginer mage away ? If it is too broken than as your terms of conditions says people who exploited that should be banned and if it isnt too broken why shouldnt new players have that option at least to catch up with others and being able to boss?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  2. T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    5:42 AM
  3. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Dark Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    12:42 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    Just do challenges

• Like Like x 2
  4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    11:42 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    you can still hit like 14k hp which means their nerf did very little to meta - but with a good enough spin the nerf was justified.

really, what’s the gain from 14k to 20k hp as a mage?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. LiquidOoze

LiquidOoze Mixed Golem

Feb 7, 2018
    The gain is 6k hp if my math is right, let me get my calculator out real quick.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    about 1 liquidooze

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    9:42 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Its the beginner DK thats actually OP

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    In their defense I think the nerf was targeted at preventing people from griefing their sp builds in case of a mage rework. They understand there’s functionally little difference between 14k and 20k on a mage but having too many players fuck up their sp permanently becomes an issue over time. Granted, people are intentionally taking that risk and choosing that for themselves but I can kinda see the logic

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    You guys.. I thought the beginner NLs were the OP ones??

I guess I have been living under a rock

10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    there was one post on mage rework on the balance thread, rest was about hp figures and talking about 10k hp mages (6 links in the sentence)

11. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Hm nevermind you’re right, gave BT too much credit there. That’s a lot of references to beginner mage “advantages”

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    6:42 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    It makes zero sense to keep these high hp mages on the server while at the same time making them unable to be recreated because they are problematic for whatever reason (what's the reason exactly? what's so different between a washed mage and any other washed job?).

Just stop with these nonsensical "balance changes" already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I always saw that as a solid justification for cutting things off before it grew into something more unmanageable.
    Beginner mage was becoming normalized despite the relatively negligible advantages because players are responsible for seeing only the current state of the game whereas staff are responsible for planning around both the present and future states.

Imagine if staff decided that having bonus HP from HP washing should warrant some type of damage penalty. We as players always only saw the positives to HP washing and could never foresee future implementations, and now we'd be penalized for buying into the same type of 'exploit' that had been heavily normalized in this server. Obviously an extreme comparison as it would be an unpopular move, but the logic applied is essentially the same. Perhaps we'd be in a completely different state of the game if HP washing as a whole was addressed earlier on in the server's life, but we can't know that because of how prevalent it already is in Legends, and if taken away, could prove to be disastrous to the server.

If staff decides to revert beginner mage limitations so that it's open for everyone to use, and later down the road if they implement something where SP usage is actually important, they're still the ones who will have to bear the brunt of the backlash of the ever growing beginner mage community. It's the same story every time.

Players: "We should have freedom to choose our own path despite consequences. We won't blame staff for making decisions."
    Staff: -nerfs something-
    Players: "Hey why you do that, you guys make shitty decisions."

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    there still exist constraints on balance team getting too creative in the form of an uninstallation. the bonus hp is great but at some point that extra HP is just not worthwhile for cost (SP, risks)

the cutoff point was when i job advanced

15. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    6:42 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I'm fairly confident the people that opted to go for beginner mages were generally well informed and aware of the risks and costs that came with it. That said I am seeing alot of multishads created lately and I doubt they all understand what they're getting into lmao.

Regardless please leave room for players to make mistakes, experiment and play off meta. The server is more and more going into this handholdy state and it's very unfun imo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yeah, I get it. That's the pros and cons a player has to weigh out when making one, but staff is ultimately the one that has to deal with the repercussions when it becomes another lever they need to consider in future balance discussions. The problem was never that a mage could somehow wash to higher hp thresholds. The problem is in beginner mages becoming normalized to the point where staff has their hands tied arguing against a growing community.

17. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    It had to be destroyed before it gained a following like NL lobby, bucc lobby, or pally lobby and reached untouchable status.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You'd be surprised. I know someone who dumped about 2-3m+ NX into their beginner bishop before realizing they'd not be given back their missing SP.
    You're speaking of the present state of beginner mage development, but normalization of beginner mages would have ultimately led new, uninformed players down the exact same path, simply because it had become normalized.

19. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    thats because of a lack of contingency planning and a reliance on precedents made in the past.

i think on my guide a good half of it (or the parts that i wrote) was on risk

20. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You can say all you want about players understanding risks and being fully prepared for changes, but that has never been true for any type of nerf.

From a player's perspective, your best bet is in keeping things under wraps for as long as possible. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.