1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Get beginner mage back

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by samud3, Dec 22, 2023.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    1:44 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Any sympathy towards the players who continue to make level 29 beginner mages after the second failed attempt at tackling them?

2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:44 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    lv29 beginner mages in a nutshell
    upload_2023-12-22_22-38-31.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    5:44 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    I disagree with the reward perception, for example over time with PB and Aufheben out the bigbang skill started to win relevance becoming a staple in mage builds, it also became essential in HT for dealing with tempo. This was all happening when beginner mages had already decided to forgo bigbang and as far as I know the existing ones don't have it.

it's just a matter of perception I guess? If you overvalue HP it might seem like a reward but forgoing this skill, that was recently buffed, is a massive loss in my eyes

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    yup, mana reflect is worth relatively less now, but at some point i think it'll be some distribution of the skills to mana reflect, big bang, and elquines if it becomes necessary.

5. OP
    OP
    samud3

samud3 Mano

Apr 1, 2022
    11:44 AM
    Beginner, Camper, Islander, Warrior, Fighter
    Ok but for example shining ray is useless and lv 20 door

6. TermiteLover

TermiteLover Brown Teddy

Nov 8, 2021
    8:44 PM
    Guildless
    unironically, 10k mages are still very easy to make, even as a first character. Just have to have a little patience in leveling. I don't know why they kept bringing that point up though, are mage mains not allowed a similar benefit as every other class..

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    As far as I know, the people who have the time, resources and dedication to mages and Legends to even bother making a beginner mage wouldn't hesitate at remaking anyway in response to a mage rework or at least re-speccing to the best compromise. Who knows, maybe individuals would make multiple "tiers" of beginner mages advancing at e.g. 30, 60, 90, 120 with different trade-offs between hp and sp for different situations (but mostly just flex). Passion projects like this help keep people motivated for longer.

At the same time, it's understandable why staff would want to nip it in the bud and just not have to worry about any repercussions. It just feels like a shame and a lost opportunity.

also sorry fartsyfartsy glhf with irrelevance

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    samud3

samud3 Mano

Apr 1, 2022
    For you it is understandable but for me not really if its not too strong allow players to have it.
    If it is too strong ban people took advantage of it. You dont want players who take advantage of things in game to get rewarded gor example if some how I will find an exploit that let me make 1b mesos an hour should I get banned for using it? Ofc yes

9. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    4:44 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
  10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    whats the real advantage of it when my bish that advanced at 29 feels the same in pb or are we still fixating at hp?

11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    something like this is possible at around 180, without pet hp equips, so 14k is still possible by 200.
    upload_2023-12-23_15-18-32.png

• Great Work Great Work x 6
  12. OP
    OP
    samud3

samud3 Mano

Apr 1, 2022
    So if it isnt a real advantage why they blocked it?

13. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the median balance team member was considered mid game, unlike now.

14. OP
    OP
    samud3

samud3 Mano

Apr 1, 2022
    So they should bring it back in your opinion?

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    my opinion is their balance change had made no difference in meta in the long term and should be reverted. i play the same (as poorly) in pb on my fp as i do on my bish

16. Averdant

Averdant King Slime

Feb 6, 2020
    4:44 PM
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ce-changes-explained.48858/page-4#post-330997
    Based on what Nise mentioned here, it was about an unhealthy meta shifting to mage mules with better survivability and less attention needed becoming more desirable than mage mains and beginner mages outclassing actual mage classes.

For me I don't think beginner mage mules becoming a mainstream mule meta is going to become a thing, fartsy has done a chart which shows that you'll need a total of 2670 AP resets to do a 20k hp mage and do your first job advancement at level 120. This is 8.277m NX and does not include the NX required to wash MP from lvl 120 -> 200, mind you at this point your char is still completely useless because you don't even have the MP to cast a single lvl 1 genesis/meteor/blizzard even without element amp's 2x MP cost for AMs. fartsy only reached 15k base mp at level 153.
    That means by the time it's usable it's going to be lvl 153 with 8.277m NX + 35 levels worth of MP washing (33 levels + bonus 10 AP from 3rd/4th job) = 8.8915m NX

Perhaps staff has data on hand we don't have access to like the possibility of a large number of people with multiple accounts of 8.8m NX+ on hand existing, but I still don't see how this will become a new meta. At 2m+ NX you're already able to make a playable NL with 30k hp cap (enough mp washing done to stale wash to 30k) and all INT reset to LUK so you can start bossing, and by 6m-7m NX you should already be fully washed to 30k hp.
    If anything I think it makes more sense to make 4 x 30k NL with lower NX requirements (more survivable than mages and provides a lot of bossing utility, especially as our server has been making changes to promote bossing over farming) and go multi client atking in bosses than 4 x beginnermage mules which you can't even touch at all until 8.x m NX.
    I feel that staff has vastly underestimated the difficulty of accumulating 8.x m NX, and overestimated the benefits of having a 20k HP mage. I can't see it as anything more than a flex or passion project and it provides little benefit over normal mages compared to the requirements to get there.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ce-changes-explained.48858/page-5#post-331210
    Nise mentioned 10k+ HP mages as a number they start getting concerned and looking out for, but even as a normal mage (my very first char on the server which started washing lvl 5x-6x) I have 6.4k base HP at level 164 and I'm projected to reach 11k+ base HP at level 200 (12k+ with eqs and 13k+ if I opt for HP eqs). For me I don't feel a lot of difference between my char and half-ass washed beginner mages, and as for the 20k hp mages there's nowhere that they can survive which I can't at level 200.

As for staff making it impossible for players from now on to get 20k HP mages, I am okay with it for now as they have mentioned that it is a time-sensitive issue and they're likely temporarily pausing it to have time to come up with a solution or a direction for them to go towards in regards of balancing (they've also previously mentioned about the possibility of a mage rework). We should be patient and give staff ample time to work this out, they're shortstaffed plus they're also working on multiple other things like bug fixes, hp challenge and events.
    I am strongly for the changes to be reverted and for us to be able to make 20k+ hp mages again, as I do not think they pose serious balancing issues due to the massive frontloaded 8.x m NX needed and benefits over normal "properly washed" mages are insignificant and more of flex/trophy HP numbers. But I will respect whatever decision staff chooses to do after listening to our feedback, there's always also a possibility that later down the road staff will change their mind about this even if they don't think this is the right way to go right now so we'll keep our fingers crossed and see where it goes.

If however, it is going to be a permanent thing that 20k HP mages will not be possible anymore in the future then they'll have to do something about the existing ones as it's unfair to lock out new players from ever being able to achieve the same amount of HP even though 14k vs 20k doesn't offer any "significant" advantages since you're already almost unkillable with 10k+ hp as a mage. There needs to be fairness and consistency to this, just like how they've made things fair for islanders and not allow old islanders to own smuggled items so all new and old islanders are on the same level of playing field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    yeah most of the problem is their balance changes wrt beginner mage was unneeded and really did nothing substantial to meta

also one of the hastily and poorly designed changes is their maple island smuggling clause as enforcement is nil and what constitutes maple island or not is never clear

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Just remove all this stupid shit: HP washing, MP washing, SP washing, etc etc. It's all bug abuse and should be treated as such. Anyone who did this kind of stuff should have their stats reset as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
  20. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    There were also bugs in v62 that allowed you to crash anybody's client and instantly close their FM stores lol