1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bowmaster or Marksman?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by RainbowYarn, Jul 14, 2020.

1. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    10:09 AM
    So, finally getting around to preparing/making my main, but of course, I can't decide between the two.

I have played enough of bowmaster previously (Royals/EMS), and have never played a Marksman pre big bang before (did make one on EMS some weeks ago and liked it, but it's different to pre big bang and whatnot).

I know that bowmasters are more powerful and more common, so I thought Marksman would be cool, especially with the ice birdy and ice arrow skills). Ther change to strafe to make it 5 hit (again whyyy???) took me by surprise, and I thought against the class cause it's max dmg is quite low (75% or so) and that put me off.

So............ WHY NOT ASK THE PEOPLE?????

What do people think on BM vs MM?

I guess I'm just looking for something to tip the scale in the favour of one or the other, but it would be nice to speak to Marksman mains to see what they have to say. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    11:09 AM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    MM > BM

If you don't go the SE-mule route, you'll be much stronger than your BM counterparts until very very late in the game. This means you can effectively use your MM skills to boss earlier and easier. Especially if you master snipe early, you'll have a huge advantage over other classes. It's less straightforward "1-button-lmao" as a BM, but that's part of the appeal and keeps it fresh and versatile. MM weapons and scrolls are cheaper as well, even after the recent buff.

oh, and ice > fire.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    3:09 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Note that because of how SE crit mechanics works, this 75% does not do what you think it does. A crit line of marksman strafe is 75% + 240% = 315% damage, compared to a crit line of BM hurricane 100% + 240% = 340%. Since marksman have a slightly higher multiplier on crossbow vs bow, it works out that MM and BM have basically the same max lines.

Post buff MM actually has a small niche over BM now, in that they are higher dpm on low atk pots (at least until you get to extreme endgame tiers of funding). However, note that this is only true if the MM has SI . Without SI, MM is still pretty mediocre and outclassed by BM pretty early on.

Some people believe that playing MM is harder compared to holding down hurricane with BM, but this is only true to some degree. The one thing BMs have access to that MMs do not is the technique of buffering inputs out of hurricane, which has a variety of uses and notably minimizes your reposition time when you get hit. The thing is fairy obscure technique that only a few experienced players utilize, so its often not understood by people looking from the outside. In situations like cwkpq BM is certainly much easier, as you are not getting hit and basically dpming a dummy. For bosses like HT, if both the MM and BM are playing their characters optimally, its not clear which one is easier (depends if you think hurricane-buffering is harder of jump attacking/using snipe on cd is harder).

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:09 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    To add onto what SelquinSelquin said, a big problem with how MMs were balanced was strong early game (until around 15x) and pretty underwhelming after that. While it seems odd at first glance, our 5 line at 75% strafe actually helps MM stay comparable with BMs until a later point in the game 16-17x. With an SI buff, they can remain comparable till even later points of the game.

HOWEVER, due to the scaling and requirement to use strafe, MMs benefit far less from high attack potions. So while a BM is able to pop and apple or stopper to get a pretty solid increase in damage, a MM on the other hand won't see that.

5. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    5:09 AM
    DMsRebirth
    When PB comes out MM will do quite a bit more damage to it due to generic damage resistance and snipe ignoring it.

Well, that's assuming PB's damage resistance gets implemented and Snipe pierces it anyways, which is a lot of assumption for unreleased content, but it's still something to hope about.