1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pot prices for new players

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Laske, Aug 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Laske

Laske Blue Snail

Jun 14, 2022
    Male
    4:58 AM
    Laske
    Crossbowman
    The money sink hole is a genuine healthy system to not inflate the economy over time. (the sink hole might even still be to small)
    However it does have the side effect that new players are struggling to buy potions with the new prices.

For that reason I am suggesting to make a new pot/a few pots at the old NLC prices, However put level range on it from 1-119 so that it cannot be used for people in 4th job. alternatively the restriction could be not 4th job/untradable options.

The whole idea is to ease up the pot costs on new players. But players who have played for a while with 120+ chars, have to still use the sink hole prices.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    2:58 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    At the moment the promotion that's running will give you pots, 50k mesos and some rare untradeable items to start your journey with. it's great if you haven't made an account to get it.

3. FatSloth

FatSloth Windraider Retired Staff

Nov 15, 2020
    Male
    9:58 PM
    FatSloth
    Buccaneer
    ImACatMeow
    On my oss lock character i dont necessarily make money grinding but i wouldnt say i lose it either. Who exactly is this change aimed for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    7:58 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Good thing my NLC mule is level 20.

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i don't even bother leveling them above 10, just transfer via storage

6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    7:58 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The proper way to implement a lower level Potions NPC would be to make the pots untradeable. Edit: Just saw that this was mentioned in the OP.

7. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    11:58 PM
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    Back in the days WS was lower than 100m and other scrolls was almost half of the price than nowdays, so pot costs were ways higher than the actual patch, and literally no one complained about that, just because pot prices become adjusted to match the actual economy people still saying that, potions for new players still the same price, actually is cheaper than before.
    upload_2022-8-23_18-31-55.png
    upload_2022-8-23_18-34-30.png
    ML isn't even challenging to a point where a new player don't have funds to pots, you can easily get 150m+ without rng till level 80
    But i can agree with another review about hornster pot cost, while i understand why they got nerfed it stills another thing capping bosses, any mage have 30k mp, 75% of the bossers don't have and bossing becomes more obsolete with this (less people doing bosses, more ppl farming, less coins on market, more inflation blahblah blah)

8. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    most new players lack the same access to information and should they quit, ws and cs will be even more expensive in the future

9. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    10:58 AM
    Every game has their own charms and does not appeal everyone. A new player who likes ML will put in efforts to learn the nature of this server and ways to get around obstacles. Even if pots are free, many new players are still going to leave because this server or game is just simply not compatible with them and that's totally fine. I've given new players meso for pots they still poofed within days (because I care for them, they're like my kids and totally not stalking). Even new players who got lucky with cs/ws can poof within a week or 2 because this game genre is simply not for them.

I noticed many objections are coming from stubborn players who refused to accept viable solutions and chose to continue suffering with their ineffective superior methods. Or World-Class Economists who protest in the name of "new players" in hope to change the game to their favor. Like: "Oh no! I've already got hundreds and thousands millions of meso so it doesn't affect me at all! Although I'm earning 500k less(i'm in pain pls help) from my usual 200mil(at my worst, mind you!) per hour, think about the the new players!"

From what I see, the NLC pot price change is affecting a certain demographics but definitely not the new players because they're not suppose to touch them early in the game anyway. If you're able get to 3rd job you're not exactly a new player anymore. The issue is that from somewhere around lv75-80 is where you'd hit the first power spike after skilling up the first 3rd job spell. Thereafter you're not getting that much stronger every level unless you upgrade your gears significantly. That's where leveling slows down and you'd choose between pot usage rate and EXP gain rate. The decrease in options and slower rate between 3rd and 4th job is what's burning people out as they were so used to the faster rate till then.

This is actually a good time to progress your character in aspects other than level. Because there're always places that nets positive meso gain for lower but still meaningful EXP gain. Also a good time to start hunting some monster card sets for a change of pace and in the process, get pot drops and gacha tickets, all which contributes to your character's overall progression and prep yourself to gear up for 4th job. You can do quests that rewards expensive scrolls as well. Start saving up for items that are good value for their prices, like scarlion/targa helm, MoN/HTP. And also services for skillbooks and boss certs. The remaining into a decent weapon and the rest of the equipment. This will help 4th job grinding much easier as well to lv140, getting 2 of your important 4th job spells up.

10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    if you're talking about me, as a disclaimer, my mesos per hour is unchanged by pot costs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Laske

Laske Blue Snail

Jun 14, 2022
    Male
    Laske
    Crossbowman
    I do think that if you get lucky on gachas and hit some good items you can follow the economy well. But if you are a new player and mainly do PQs. You wont see any gachas on a daily basis. Alternatively you can also get unlucky. And with capes, earrings being able to afford like 5-7 honsters (which for a washed warrior in 50-70+ range is probably the right potion . That can probably turn into mesos loss.
    I just noticed a good amount of players from my guild (Bliss) are in the 50-90 range and are trying to save up for 1st equips like zak helms, a clean sad mask etc. But pot prices are tanking any chance of money gains.

12. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    It's probably not if those statements don't resonate with you.

13. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    With the 5 eyes of fire they'd have gotten anyway, it should cover most of the cost for the zak helm. A simple genin doll quest gives you shoe jump 30% which currently sells for 4m+.

EDIT: added some quests you can do before zak for valuable scrolls
    Shoes Jump 30%
    lv30 - https://bbb.hidden-street.net/quest/world-tour/maplestory-basic-knowledge
    lv40 - https://bbb.hidden-street.net/quest/world-tour/sakura-the-kitty-and-the-orange-marble
    Gloves ATT 70%
    lv40 - https://bbb.hidden-street.net/quest/masteria/reversal

share with your guildmates for their zak helms :yay:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    It surprises me whenever people bring up an argument of "Well, when I follow <high exp low meso strategy> I struggle to afford pots after a while"
    Sometimes you're gonna have to switch it up and consider more profitable grinds, this is true for new and experienced, rich and poor alike.
    If you're not getting gach/good drops in PQs? Interleave your pq sessions with grinding in some profitable maps (of which there are plenty)
    If you're burning too many pots grinding at cds? Switch it up, go try out some other maps. You might get less eph, but you'll be able to stock up on potions for your next high-eph grind.

Don't be afraid to experiment with new maps. Asking around is often going to get people to tell you the fastest map, not the most sustainable one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    11:58 PM
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    PQ rewards alot of potions, unless you only do EPQ you're fine with potions, also iirc these players don't use hornsters and manabulls