1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal starting stat spread and equipment progression for a fresh, unfunded Luckless Mage?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Lodsofemone, May 9, 2023.

1. Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    8:06 AM
    Beginner
    Hey all, first character on ML and I'm going for a Luckless Cleric. Spending a lot of time trying to get the stat spread just right, and while I'm not sure what the perfect spread is, I'm guessing it's 4 Str, 4 Dex, 11 Int and 6 Luck?

Since I'm unfunded I need to try and buy, farm or create my own equipment. I'm not so worried about scrolling early on, that will come later when I can afford to start doing it and not losing slots from a failure (I mean I'll probably be buying a little NX, I can afford to spend a little). But I guess I'm looking at a Wooden Wand and a Bathrobe early on and just surviving on that until options open up?

Are either of the Magic shields worth the Luck investment, or is it Fence forever? If Fence, I hope I can decorate it via cash shop. Ideally going for a frilly girly outfit with a light-colored tutu-style dress or skirt, tights (white, purple or light blue preferred) and red slime slippers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    11:06 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    It pains me to say it as someone who prefers wearing all the usual magic equipment, but generally speaking the calculation you want to make regarding equipment as a mage is "does this get me more int/magic attack than the luk investment?" Which, unless you already have a lot of equipment that happens to be providing luck, is almost always a "no".

3. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    Well eventually I'll have the stat boosters like a Silver Deputy Star, Zakum Helmet, etc, which will probably allow me to use some select items with Luck requirements, namely an Esther Shield, which would be my preferred off-hand later. Although I guess if I can eventually afford Maple gear, that'd be the go-to.

But already I'm having trouble getting the stat spread I want. I've only seen 11 int once and it wasn't with 4/4 Str/Dex.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  4. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    9:06 AM
    Corsair
    Welcome!
    For a Lukless Cleric I wouldn't worry too hard about gears until 4th job. It's very realistic to get to level 120 with zero INT gears aside from upgrading your wand whenever a new one is available, and a Zakum Helmet at level 50. Getting extra INT from gears is super helpful, but mages scale super well in the early game because every point of INT is equivalent to a point of Magic Attack (a little better actually), So the majority of your damage will always come from your base stats and your weapon.

Your stat spread isn't super important as you'll want to AP reset everything into INT as soon as you can anyways for a LUKless build.

For weapons it'll look something like: Wooden Wand -> Green Paint Brush -> Yellow Umbrella / Nocturnal Staff -> Heart Wand -> Elemental Wand 1-4 -> Elemental Wand 5-8. On this server there is no penalty to using elemental wands as a bishop.

A Bathrobe is usually the overall of choice for most mages since it has no stat requirements, it can be easily sold when you want to replace it, and it can be used on other characters if you ever decide to wash one. With gear like a T10 Ring, a Zakum / Scarga / Ravana helmet, and a Horntail Pendant, a decent amount of LUK can be attained without ever needing to spend a point in it. This makes it possible to equip some mid-level mage equips, and if you like you could scroll some mage equips and get a higher TMA, but in general people just stick to the Bathrobes for simplicity.

Shoes can be trouble to get, but some Mid-level mage shoes have INT on them and you can wear these clean once you get some LUK from your Zakum Hat and Horntail Pendant.

Definitely pick up some kind of Purple Cape when you reach level 50/65. Also have a look at the Yellow Adventurer Capes, as there are usually some good ones.

For shields I would look at the Fence, as well as the Maple Shield, and the Maple Magician Shield.

For Earrings I would look at Red Emerald Earrings, and Fallen Leaf Earrings, as they are commonly scrolled and have base TMA on them, as well as Single Earring, as they are very commonly scrolled.

Eye and Face are less important, but for eye you can go for a Raccoon Mask or White Raccoon Mask, and for face I would either wear an event equip or just a Smiling Mask for the Speed.

For pendants, Getting a Deputy Star can be really expensive at level 50 for only 5 TMA, so I would recommend either waiting for level 120 to buy a HTP, or running MPQ to get an upgraded Horus' Eye

Gloves will probably be either Brown Work Gloves or Yellow Marker. But sometimes people will scroll Yellow Work Gloves so Look out for those too.

It should be noted that mage gear gets super expensive super quickly. When looking for gear to upgrade weigh your options and get the more cost effective TMA items first. I'm no expert but I would say the order is something like: Wand > Clean Zakum Helmet > HTP / Decent Purple Cape > Earring / Overall > Gloves > Eye / Shield / Shoes / Scrolled Helmet

LUKless is the easiest route in my opinion and it's the best route, in my opinion. LUK mages are very much viable, contrary to popular belief, but LUKless is definitely the way to go for a more simple gearing process. Also having higher base INT means you get more MP when you MP wash (don't worry about it until like level 70-90).

LUK mages have a steady power curve, gaining a small power spike every time they get access to a new staff, while LUKless will have massive power spikes every time they get a new LUKless wand. The gaps between LUKless equips are bigger so LUK mages will be stronger then LUKless inbetween the power spikes, while LUKless will be more powerful when they hit their spikes and then some.

For early-mid-late 4th job LUKless will be the better option, while in super-lategame LUK mages win out again using timeless gears and other crazy shenanigans. I'm not too knowlegable about that stuff so maybe someone else can fill in the details, but in the grand scheme LUKless is generally viewed as the better alternative.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    I won't be HP or MP Washing. To me, that feels like an unintended exploit, and I honestly consider it a form of cheating. If that means I get refused from bossing or even joining a good guild, so be it. I like playing my games clean and honest.

So Lukless mages use staves, not wands? If it's eventually affordable I'd probably go for a Maple Magician Shield and either a Maple Staff or a Maple Lama Staff until the Heart Wand becomes available, then switch over to Elemental Wands 2 and 6. Ideally I want to get Squishy Shoes and a Spiegelmenn's Necklace as well, assuming Carnival PQ gets some activity here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    11:06 PM
    Lukless mages use whichever wand/staff they can find that does not have luk requirement. Maple staff can be abit pricy for a new player so an alternative would be to get nocturnal staff from a NLC quest.
    https://bbb.hidden-street.net/quest/masteria/cleaning-up-the-streets

For shoes theres no need to go for squishy shoe as there is lvl 3x mage shoes that provide up to 3 int, should be pretty cheap.

For shield note that although maple magician shield could have higher int, those common shields like stolen fence is easier to resell. In any case shield scrolls are very expensive and can be lower in priority.

7. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    How do you go about making money on this server anyway? What should I be keeping my eye out for that other players would want to buy?

Besides future equipment I'm gonna need mesos to buy 100% scrolls from the towns on Victoria Isle for more Int.

8. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    I would strongly, strongly recommend that you consider MP Washing. You can start the process later (level 90+) and on a mage, it's not that difficult to other classes. It is not an exploit, it is part of the game, and very core to the identity of this server. 30k MP will save you so much money if you plan to play this character for a long time.

I wouldn't worry about gear. Until level 120+, your money is better spent on buying leech to level up quicker. 100m can buy you a +17 INT bathrobe, or 16 hours of leech. Guess which makes you more powerful :)

Check out this thread for quests that give good scrolls, likely your main source of income (besides the gacha that mobs drop) until higher levels.

9. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    5:06 PM
    Paladin
    Funk
    I suggest you play the game however you want, mate! Hit me up on Discord if you’re interested in joining a fun and inclusive guild. Palladino#1981

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    CPQ doesnt exist here.

Most people go this route (99.9% of players is lukless mage here)

- basic wand u get at level 8
    - paint brush at level 30 (requires 5 str)
    - Elemental wand 1/2/3/4 at level 70
    - Elemental wand 5/6/7/8 at level 130

I don't think people use something in between. Maybe noc staff. Not sure if maple wands are used.

11. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    I also want to start farming the good bullets and Pirate equipment as I level too, because, unless it's strongly recommended against, my Gunslinger will NOT be Strless and will be using actual Gunslinger gear. It has been a log time, but the only way I remember making any meaningful mesos in the past was farming Kunai's and good throwing knives to sell to Thieves.

Third character will likely be a White Knight.

P.S: I will NOT be buying Leech, unless it's specifically for an item I want like Zakul helm. I'm in it for the long grind, so it's money earned instead of money spent.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  12. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    Paladin
    Funk
    Once you get a few levels under your belt (namely when you start heal grinding at ghost ship), you’ll be making a decent amount of money from gachapon tickets and equip/meso drops. I can also recommend doing some of the quests in here for an extra boost early on.

13. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    Can you buy 100% scrolls from the towns on ML, or is that not a thing here? If I'm going to scroll it's going to be the weak ones that don't have a risk of failure.

14. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    Paladin
    Funk
    You can! Many 60% scrolls are also very cheap, so you could consider using some of those as well for some extra juice.

Owlrepo.com is a great resource to get a general idea of scroll prices, just beware some of them might be outdated. Hover your mouse over an item to see when it was last updated.

15. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    So scrolls, Gachapon tickets (I'm assuming you can trade them straight and not have to use them and hope you get something another player would want to buy), and knives/bullets. Got it.

One more thing...are there any female cash shop bottoms that have Tights? Not footless leggings, but actual tights that cover the feet? Only one I was able to find was the Pleated Skirt, which will work for the kind of frilly outfit I want, but I just want to know if there are any others.

16. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I never actually thought about it, but I'm pretty sure gach tickets cannot be sold, only used. There's enough stuff there that'll make you money when you sell that you don't have to worry too much about "getting lucky". I've done my playthrough so far with nothing but quests and grinding and managed to make several million from gach wins.

17. Ferluci

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    U can sell gacha service. U do the gacha and give whatever u get to the buyer

18. OP
    OP
    Lodsofemone

Lodsofemone Mano

May 9, 2023
    Male
    Beginner
    I guess that'd be fine as long as it's not seen as some sort of RMT. That's something I'm against.

19. Ferluci

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
  20. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Nah, it's all in-game currency. You just have an agreement with someone that you will cash out X number of gach cards and they will pay you Y per card, and you give over whatever items. All with in-game currency and whatnot.