1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of MapleLegends Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akhenaton, May 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    2:30 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    I was just making an example, if you aren't willing to accept others feedback in the thread you created then you should never have even posted it to begin with, just because you have some personal vendetta against me doesn't mean that I am not a human being with my own feelings and emotions too.

You paint me like some ML villain for collecting scrolls but you would do the same and just as much all the other people currently in the market. You act like it's the end of the world for you but in-reality there's always progression to be had.

I am really disheartened though after hearing your tone-deaf response to my real world example and you brushed it off as some attack on your character. You are too one track minded.. Please understand it was only an example.

My final point is that you, as a player and as a person have freedom of choice in this world and game.

You do not have to participate in the anything Scrolling, Washing, FM, or other activities. You have your own life and you can live the way you want. So if there's something that you don't like them you don't have to partake.

If I decide to list an item for 500 Prestigious Coins, 3mill or even 10mill you can simply walk away and move on. But instead you chose to escalate things without understanding how they got to the place they are at today. You used bad sources and poor references like Owl Repo when many people have already told you there's a better and more meaningful reason behind such events and values. You didn't do the work in your due diligence and that's your bad manners.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. TermiteLover

TermiteLover Brown Teddy

Nov 8, 2021
    6:30 PM
    Guildless
    I may have to use this for dummy scrolling big ticket items!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    4:30 PM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    I'd say that market manipulation is not a significant problem as long as items are relatively farmable. If anyone tried to raise Bow ATT 30s beyond a certain point, it would become profitable for lots of other people to go and farm Bow ATT 30s and sell them, so there's already a natural limit in place preventing that kind of abuse. Obviously individuals and groups can and have influenced prices within those natural limits, but that influence has bounds so you really don't need to be so worried about it.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but MapleLegends staff have changed a lot of drop tables from what they were in GMS in order to make sure important items are farmable, so the situation isn't exactly the same.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    7:30 AM
    Damn, this thread is really going with the discussion, 9 pages long now.

Before I give my personal thoughts on this, just wanna disclaimer this will not be representative of staff and I'm also not some economist. Heck I'll probably appreciate if someone that knows better to explain what is the wiser lens to view this matter.

I think the OP concerns are mainly price manipulation via monopolization of the market?
    One of the most opinionated response is that everyone and anyone can just farm whatever they want except for a few things like mw30, which means participating in the market is not quite necessary.
    However, I think this solution at its limit, will resembles reboot maple where everyone just farm their own gears individually and forgoes the free market interaction..
    As much as the free market is annoying and has its own cans of worm to deal with, I think it add depths to the maple experience and encourages social interactions, so I'm actually in favour of more market interaction and those that have done their due diligence will reap the benefits..

Anyway, coming back to monopoly, funny thing is I actually read some of the wiki OP referenced, and it seems to me that the lack of competition is simply the biggest contributing factor.
    And this is just naturally occurring due to the relatively low server population that we have, so how can we actually improve competition?
    One way is to simply have more players, which is easier said than done monkas..
    The other way is to make things more accessible, allowing for alternative playstyles to still be able to obtain said scrolls or whatever items, if anyone has any good suggestions, we can try to incorporate them..

With regards to price control, I don't think it is something realistic to do unless we simply have a fix and same ceiling npc price for every item in the game, which probably ends up being majorly unused except maybe for items like ws/cs.
    There's just no practical way to determine the exact intrinsic value of an item as it depends on the subjective measure of the players and the existing market condition which both are always changing. The best way I personally think is to simply let the market decide itself..

If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to criticize, just try to keep it civilized, we are on the same boat playing this darn broken game that is old af, let's figure ways that benefit the collective instead of arguing who's at fault..

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. fandilin

fandilin Blue Snail

Jun 30, 2022
    11:30 PM
    Can you elaborate on this? I've always viewed owls as a good thing for the economy, since open access to information should help market liquidity and reduce volatility. The only bad thing about it in my opinion is that it costs NX, which puts single-account/anti-mule players (yes, we exist lol) at a disadvantage, but they will always be disadvantaged and usually by their own choice so I don't really mind that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    2:30 PM
    one good way is to educate players. patience is the key. if owl mules are broken, it means u can owl daily to check the market and buy at your own price points.
    Over time, u will get a good sense of what is the price points of other players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ocarina

Ocarina Slime Retired Staff

Sep 16, 2019
    Male
    Hyrule
    2:30 AM
    Hyrule
    Buccaneer
    This post seems to be going very off topic. We are going to lock this.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:30 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    While the last few posts of this thread did seem to be getting the thread back on topic, out of the 9 pages, only a select number of posts offered any productive discussions about the MapleLegends economy. Based on that alone the thread should've been closed much earlier, but it unfortunately wasn't.

If players do want to continue discussing the state of the economy in another thread, we'd suggest perhaps quoting the more relevant parts from this thread & providing your own personal input on the matter so as to re-frame the topic to be more productive or less toxic. That said, if the main nature of the thread resembles this thread (eg. arguing about a certain type of market practice for 9 pages and not making any progress) the following thread will also be closed.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.