1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

the CHAIR state of maple legends and why CHAIRS matters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quintus, May 18, 2023.

1. quintus

quintus Red Snail

May 13, 2023
    7:22 PM
    quintus
    Bishop
    Lore
    hello.

i am here to talk about chairs.

index
    1. why chairs matter!
    2. how chairs are THREATENED.
    3. what can we do about this? suggestions, thoughts, the beginning of a discussion.

WHY CHAIRS MATTER

"A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse."
    Oscar Wilde

at first, this may seem like a shallow concern. what is the point of chairs? they do not help ur damage! how are we gonna hit big monster with chair!

indeed, we cannot hit big monster with chair. but that does not mean they are not important.

what is the point of chairs?

simply put, chairs are art. art does not have to be useful. chairs do heal you, which i interpret as a metaphor to how art and self care soothe and heal your soul, but above all, they are art. furthermore, chairs are meaningful because they are one of the few in-game long lasting cultural heritage of this digital community.

in a way or another, we ALL engage with an artifact of the past and digital history regularly. old version mushroom game IS an artifact of the past, and to keep it alive is a valuable effort and a form of digital archaeology. digital preservation is not easy; links become broken, files go missing, information gets lost.

but what about the history INSIDE game? a digital world lives in eternal stasis, but people inhabit it, and where there are people, there IS a history. how can we reminisce or glimpse our past as a community? there are forums and whatnot, but that is external to game, not inside. inside game, where does the past survive?

in CHAIRS! many chairs even have descriptive text listing the name of the designer, when it was released (in which event), the year, et cetera. unfortunately, not all of them. beyond that information that comes attached, they represent the aesthetic of their time period through their unique designs.

THE THREATS TO CHAIRS

unfortunately, many chairs are becoming increasingly rare to see in the wild.

unlike other things which you can farm, chairs are NOT farmable. they are unique and limited, which means that, if someone stops playing or is banned, they dwindle in numbers. in fact, someone could go and drop chair and they would disappear forever and FOREVER decrease the number of existing chairs. there is no way to know how many chair exist these days (i Think... i would like to know if game staff know the amount of chairs that exist in people's inventories).

since chairs are art and heritage, this is very concerning and sad to me. a chair could theoretically go extinct and there is no preservation mindset in regards to them. furthermore, this is worsened by the fact that certain people use them as a method of financial speculation (chair stocks) and hoard chairs in their inventory, which deprive people of art and mushroom history, which i imagine they care little about. many sad noobs have never seen some of the cutest, rare chairs. this is very sad to me, because cuteness bring joy. personally, i only play this game because it is cute, and i know cuteness is vital to many other players. i could go and play other mmorpgs with ugly designs and ugly stuff, but i am here playing a cute game, and cuteness is THREATENED.

HOW WE KEEP CHAIRS ALIVE AND PRESERVE OUR CHAIR HISTORY

the first step:

- keep CHAIRS tradeable, but make ALL of them one of a kind. there is literally no need for someone to have more than one of each chair per character other than long term financial speculation that damages mushroom cultural heritage. chairs should also NOT despawn, ever. it should be impossible to throw a chair out / make it despawn somewhere. trades and storage only.

i don't know what to do about the damage that's already been done in regards to the chairs that are already gone forever, and i would like solutions for that. i do think that unique chairs from the past should return in future event raffles and such, which would tank their meso value and make them circulate in the market again. some people might be upset about losing some exclusive status. to account for that, maybe returning chairs shouldn't be as bountiful as regular event chairs, but i believe losing exclusivity for a short period is ultimately okay. art and cuteness should be for all the people. i say that as someone who has purchased some expensive old chairs.

suggestion for future and past chairs:

- i also think the texts of all chairs should be way more detailed. who designed them? what were they thinking? where are they from? which version of maple story? what year and event? that should be the bare minimum... not all chairs have even those pieces of information, and i imagine it would be quite simple to add.

and here is a far-fetched suggestion that would be lots of work but would be rly cute:
    a MUSHROOM MUSEUM.

ia museum with all the chairs and perhaps cute snapshots of past events and other historical things, maybe. i think training camp is a good template for how it should look inside, but beyond that, perhaps examples of each chair would be there too, locked on a certain spot, and you could sit on them just like you can sit on random benches (though not pick it up).

i think orbis perhaps is the ideal place for this, because it is quite classic looking and historical.

i do realize that is a crazy suggestion that requires lots of work and effort, it is low priority and nobody probably cares that much, though. but it would be cute.

FINAL THOUGHTS

i want to hear about other chair enthusiasts, digital history thoughts and suggestions that can be made to improve the state of chairs in mushroom game.

thank you for reading. go drink water.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    6:22 PM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Reset
    This is a work of art. Thank you for creating poetry.

Don't forget to drink water.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    12:22 AM
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    I know I don't say it enough, but I love chairs. From their sturdy frames to their comfy cushions, they make my days so much better. They offer a place to rest when I'm tired, a spot to afk when I'm in FM, and the ability to show off my wealth. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, but no matter what, they always have my back (bum). Thank you for being there, chairs. I don't know what I'd do without you.

With love,

Your faithful sitter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. loveshuffle

loveshuffle Red Snail

Jun 22, 2022
    5:22 PM
    Chairs are great and underrated. I always enjoy seeing your chair collection. The amazing thing about chairs is that there's something for everyone! It would be amazing if old event chairs could come back. I know some people do not appreciate or value chairs as much as others but I always love seeing what people afk in and wondering how they got it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    maybe i should list chairs more often

• Like Like x 1
  6. sayurii

sayurii Red Snail

May 18, 2023
    Female
    Brazil
    Sayuuri
    Magician
    SURRA
    i love chairs

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    quintus

quintus Red Snail

May 13, 2023
    quintus
    Bishop
    Lore
    i support that. if you have leftover chairs, consider finding them loving and responsible homes. people will be happy, u will be richer, the world will look cuter.

i would b> chairs but i am currently poor because i bought other two chairs. in a few months, maybe :')

8. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    generally the market slowed down sharply late last year and often hasn't kept up with coin prices. X)

but yeah, i guess i'll be listing soonish again

• Like Like x 1
  9. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Chairs in general simply reached a point of oversaturation. Players saw the kind of monetary gains holding chairs had, especially older chairs. But the value of those chairs was likely brought about by a few factors:

1. Many old chairs were released when the server population was much lower, and I believe they were rarer during the events. Event multifarming meta was nowhere near as extensive as it is now.
    2. Chair collectors who joined the server later still needed to lock up supply in their collections, and many simply weren't around back then to pick up older chairs. This means they must interact with the market for chairs (something I have not had to do for years).
    3. There used to be fewer options for chairs. Perhaps the most important note is a player can only sit in one chair at a time, and there are practically hundreds of options now. Even among "mid-tier" rarity chairs, there are lots of options and most players only need one.

Older chairs had (and still do have) value, and it appeared like a strong investment for many non-collectors to earn stonks by pumping value. But not every chair is created equal, as aesthetic and rarity both play a role in valuation. In the past it was safe to say "chairs only appreciate", but watching how much money was pumped into chairs like Me Pot, a crash was inevitable (with many actually depreciating immediately after events). Old collectors already have theirs, new collectors get scared off by the sheer number of impossibly rare items to collect, and normal players have alternatives for their pretty "main" chair (anything released in the last 2-3 years really). So who really is going to be buying 30 red ring chairs, or 20 Me Pots? It takes exponentially longer periods of time after distribution for a chair to gain value today due to these factors, especially since those who bought only chasing the stonks have farmed them to oblivion and have largely backed out of the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    quintus

quintus Red Snail

May 13, 2023
    quintus
    Bishop
    Lore
    thank u iPippyiPippy for ur contribution to chair discourse.

i do think your point number one makes me feel even more strongly about the extinction of chairs and how old chairs should return in some way. you are right, there were fewer players.

i also agree that the market is oversaturated and that makes chairs a poor investment in general if someone is seeking even medium-term returns. even with older chairs, sometimes they become trendy or go out of fashion. that is also why we cannot trust the market to preserve chairs or art in general: ugly chairs are valuable history too!!! but while i agree, i don't personally think it's a problem. to me, the more the merrier and i think the diversity and access to chairs is positive.

in regards to what fartsyfartsy said, i'd like to hear out your reasoning / assessment of chair market too, because i really don't believe the chair market is intrinsically connected to coin value, i think they are separate things. you mention chair prices have not gone up alongside coins, but if coins were to go down in value, would the chair price go down? i think not... its value is on a different realm altogether that is not tied to inflation, even in real life (when u consider the price of purchasing a painting, for example, the factors involved are different from other commodities like food or oil).

11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    bc at some point everything leads back to government debt, in ML that is coins

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    Very thought-provoking post about mushroom game. I have a few follow up questions... What do you think of the possibility of equipping chairs to hit big monster (disregarding the obviously large amount of development work that would take)? Does this ruin the very essence of what makes chairs 'chairs', or it is something that would make chairs 'matter' more or be more 'useful'? Is this something you would support or be against?

• Like Like x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    quintus

quintus Red Snail

May 13, 2023
    quintus
    Bishop
    Lore
    i am very much against this. it goes against chair philosophy. chairs are for relaxing and not for sweating

i see! do not think i agree economically speaking, but it is ok 2 disagree

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    sad but true