1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion to economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nachthexen, Jul 28, 2023.

1. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    9:30 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    o ur right on scrolled prices; i assumed bows as one thing

what i mean by the 2nd part is more about inequality wrt old players. back when i started perf items were rare and people didn’t complain bc their peers didn’t have one either. it’s like when heroes didn’t complain about damage bc nl were still inted.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    ya but if meso:coin is the same and price of items in coins is what’s changed, talking in meso feels like running in place. most “endgame” items are created w coins so it’s easier to quote with it too

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:30 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Yeah this was what my first post was somewhat hinting at. The post and its suggestion seem to be talking about adjusting money supply to fix the economy, but to me personally I think the issue is more so supply vs. demand of specific items, not an overall economic issue caused by too much money in the system.

I've seen some potential causes listed, but just to add onto it, it could also be a shift in class popularity. More buccs and corsairs compared to the past could contribute to the increased demand for higher dex goods I'd assume.

That said we shouldn't hit deflationary levels right? What do you think would be a healthy rate of inflation be?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    10:30 PM
    we can solve all these with hp challenge, a strong marketing campaign to attract and retain new players, and a legal team to ward off n$xon

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    4:30 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    How is a legal team going to make the illegal action of hosting a private server suddenly ok?

6. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    How is old school maple not considered abandonware?

7. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    It's not like abandonware is suddenly legal if the copyright still stands.

8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    7:30 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I also agree with this take, I think. Regarding my last post, the fact that specific items are rapidly increasing in price while overall the majority of items remain the same price backs this theory up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    11:30 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    II like the idea of having cash stuff for sale for mesos: teleport rock, smega, charms, and even instant boats for more cost..

if you think you have a lot of rich that saves the nx to wash, most prob dont mind to waste some money to travel fast

• Like Like x 3
  10. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    5:30 PM
    I'll be happy to share my insights on this with the data at hand.

With the data from October 22' posted here (and i'll just exclude the banned mesos for the simplicity), we have around 230M mesos generated per day.
    In MMO economies, you'd want excess currency generation so that players can trade with each other, but their required potions or refill their stars and reach their goals in a way that's not frustrating so that players keep enjoying the experience. I do not suggest the economy to deflate, but to be balanced and formed in the most sustainable way. Basicly, you want just enough meso generation to be able to control it in the long run.

Here's an example (from 2016) of how the MMO New World experienced deflation and why people got iritated by it.
    Here's a similiar one from 2021, but idk how reliable this article is.

We also have to understand that in-game economies is quite similiar to real-life economy dynamics, especially if you have a large player base.
    Here's an article that analyzes the correlation between WoW and real-life economy.
    Here's another one that I didn't read yet! (Tysm Lulu! <3 ) that is behind a paywall so i couldn't read it -but i want to read it, so badly-

So essentially, we want x% of inflation but we want to keep it stable & generate periodic content/meso sinks so that the overall excess amount can be lowered and we can reach to the origin point again.

For example, this article here states:
    For a virtual in-game economy to maintain economic equilibrium — the relative stability of its core currency and items — it must balance the rate of asset issuance with the rate of asset consumption/demand.
    Stuff in ~= Stuff out.
    To do this it has a couple of options:
    1. Continuously grow the rate of growth of new users to allow older players to sell to newer players.
    2. Continuously introduce newer, harder, and more resource-intensive end-game content for existing players to expend more resources.
    3. Balance the creation of gold and items (faucets) with the removal of said gold and items from the game (sinks).
    If this balance is mismanaged, the player experience and retention suffer.

This information is not in correlation with ML however, because 2. for us means if we have a new content we'll have a bigger meso generation for some end-game players, since the progression in maple is not as horizontal as in other games. But this also suggests that if we create some resources for players to be able to use in their expeditions, we would effectively create a working meso-sink that is also quite useful for those players. A very dumb example for this is buying apples for 10m from an NPC.

As for your question, I don't know which rate of inflation would be healthy for us. To tackle this, we need to define the problems on hand correctly, and I'm still not able to define what the general problem we're having is. Is it low level players stuck in-between their progression, people not being able to obtain perfect weapons and WS/CS or some items being sold for much-higher prices? I unfortunately and sadly don't know.

What I can suggest until we reach a middle point about what the problem is creating additional meso-sinks so that we would have enough time to think and design such mechanisms to help us out in the long run.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  11. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    While the idea is good in paper, we might have a problem about voting. There are players who won't wash and not care about cosmetics that much, so why should they vote?
    But I also assume the amount of these type of players are a bit low to maybe assume this might be a problem. I don't want to think through this without any data unfortunately.

12. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    10:30 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I don't think this one was actually behind a paywall? I saw a "PDF" button on the side and clicked it, and now I have the thing, so...

13. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    I always assume they're behind one omg thank you so much!! <3 <3 <3

14. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    11:30 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    in my char that dont need nx i pref use cash shop cause its free xD i think its a good point

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    8:30 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    The money sink attempting to increase the value of meso doesn't work in my uneducated ass's opinion. We're making mid game more expensive due to removing meso from players, in the long term anticipation that the price of items will lower which just exaggerates many of the issues we already have. Meanwhile the super rich players sitting on billions remain unaffected, because they already have huge asset/coin/meso reserves. Many of them can afford essentially anything they want within a reasonable time frame. Like others have mentioned the issue is less based on ws+10 costs and moreso the gap between mid game and end game. As it is because of being a newer player to the server, my BM at 163 can't join HT because of HP. I have very limited access to any good exp content, 7-f is horrible as a BM because the safe spots were removed so I'm forced to burn 10's of millions in pots just to train a small percentage. For content with the goal of getting any mentionable profits, I have cwkpq. That's it, that's all. (Don't even suggest rav/pap as a serious income, it's good for maybe 1/2 of my repot on a good day)

To clarify I'm not saying nerf the end game players/meso making, instead buff mid game that the average player has access to so we can actually move up into endgame with enough time invested.

Although I would genuinely like to see Cs/Ws prices seriously reduced so the average player who invests alot of time can achieve it, not just sweaty 30k attackers who have been here for 4 years, that's another issue on its own.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. questionask

questionask Orange Mushroom

May 30, 2021
    But rav and pap are good quick income. Pot usage at either one is minimal for a BM.

Let’s say you do it daily for a month, 90 rav and pap (30 pap, 60 rav), assuming you don’t have another character to get a cracked piece. There is 20% chance for pouch, that’s 18 pouches a month, let’s say an average of 2coins per pouch = 36coins (~about 120m in EV). Plus 800k per run from NPC = 72m in pure mesos.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    this is the first time i've ever seen a bm not like cwk o________o

btw the kb for pap is 5k, do you puppet it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    The time required to travel
    I love cwkpq, but I'd love to actually have more options since recruiting and/or joining cwkpq can be very difficult on the best of days due to lack of signs, time available to commit. and yes I puppet pap lol. Its 10k kb tho

19. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    They're okay in a pinch but I would highly disagree on the pouch drop rate. I haven't gotten a pouch from rav in probably 30 runs? pap is slightly more common at maybe 1 in 15 runs. The meso generated does not produce a meaningful source of income vs time spent travelling aside from pots occasionally with pouches being so seldomly dropped.

20. questionask

questionask Orange Mushroom

May 30, 2021
    I have a journal where I documented over 600 runs and the drop rate is 20%. What time travelling? They can be both done while in Ludi?