1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding "rent gear" support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by T2Smile, Dec 3, 2023.

1. T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    11:06 PM
    Hi, I just feel like if that's a thing doable it would be very cool and beneficial to the market.

My reason to suggest this feature:

As a "new player", I would very much like to rent gears instead of buying them off from the market, since most of gears for my low level chars are temporary, which would cost me less and providing more options for gear owners.
    About renting gears, current renting gears are mostly out of friendship and trust, and I would like to see if that could be a healthy bussiness that enable old players' spare gears flowing in the market instead of collecting dust, especially considering there are players who indeed enjoy collecting gears that they do not want to sell them while they don't use them for most of the time.
    Currently the in-game mechanism do not support "renting gears" well, if I'm gear owners and I would like to rent my gears, I would worry if the renters will abide by our contract.

Personally speaking, I would like to help others as much as I can, but only if I won't get hurt in any way. I don't wanna put my stuff at risk.

Maybe renting could be implemented and support, which is what I've thought for a while and now am proposing.

Potential ways to enable gears renting:

upload_2023-12-3_11-48-54.png

We've got gear sealing lock. My general idea is to seal a gear after it being traded, and after seal expires, the gear went back to who it bellongs.

In details:

Imagine there is a similar NX item named "renting lock", which could be used to seal a gear for a certain period of time, during which the item is only tradable for once.

When in a trade, someone tend to trade a gear that has been applied "renting lock", both traders will receive a poping up window notifying a renting locked gear is involed in this trade (to prevent potential trading scam).

After the item being trade, the item will be in the same state just like being applied "sealing lock" - untradable, undropable, unsellable to NPC, and even unscrollable.

After the locking period ends, it will goes back to who applied the lock automatically (like FM unsold item goes back to fredrick store banker automatically)

upload_2023-12-3_12-4-11.png

If you think this suggestion interesting please leave your idea. I personally very interested in seeing renting gear a doable thing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    12:06 AM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Nah. Too custom. Dont like it

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    3:06 PM
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    You could just make a recording of the trade in question showing the stats of each item and the other person agreeing to return the items back later and if they decide to scam you, you'll have recorded evidence to report them with, and I think staff would return your items back(?) like they do with mistakenly NPC'd items?

Not sure about that last part, but you can still record the trade and report them if they decide to run away with your items.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    Something involed reporting to staff, that sounds a potential cost of time isn't it?

On the other hand, I have thought about your suggestion, I knew that as a doable way for renting bussiness. If it is a trade like "you pay me 5mil mesos and I rent this gear to you for a week", we ensure the trading is recorded and the term is clear. That's OK.

But considering rent a gear to another player for free just to help them? Maybe there is no specified return date, carefully worded terms, bacause you don't want it looks like you're lacking faith in each other. Yes indeed you're lacking faith, but most cases it is unecessary to let others know about it right? That's why I suggest this, making renting a machanism would at least make me willing to rent my gears to other players. And I believe there will be more kind souls would like to do this if their gears are protected and garanteed safe.

Furthermore, what if renters scroll the gear? That sounds very complecated to deal with. If renter scrolled an item and owners reported it to staff, how should it be dealt with? Or maybe "gears that have unscrolled slots shouldn't be rented"? It's not a very decent solution at least.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Ferluci

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Afaik staff doesnt forcefully get your items back when u loan em and dont get returned. Is ur own risk can maybe report for scam and they get punished for that but ur item still gone

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    oops even worse than I imagined. So renting is not protected at all rn, players have to trust other players enough to rent them gears and still undertake the risk. That's a high threashold for renting actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ferluci

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Afaik yes. Could be wrong though.
    I only loan my equips to AinzAinz he doesn’t take them anyway

8. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    True, AinzAinz won't steal your items but he will steal your dignity..

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  9. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    4:06 PM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    beegorattobeegoratto gonna be #1 advocate for this change

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:06 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think staff used to refund players for gear scamming but not anymore

11. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    for now
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    When staff is going to resolve this kind of issue for sure, I can imagine there will be people scamming staffs instead of other players, like "he (my accomplice) scrolled my gear, pls help", "he (my accomplice) stole my gear as we agree on it should be worthy xxx mil mesos, pls help".

And I think it's a similar thing to gambling, there must have been someone tried to scam GM like "we (me and my accomplice) rolled for 1000 mil and he ran away".

13. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    Renting out your gear is at your own risk, just like gambling. Dont do it if you cant afford to lose it.

As for the suggestion to enable this...renting.. Id be against it due to it being very custom (as Dami said) and it just enables more and more complications (as youve mentioned too). The lower levels take a relatively short time to pass, they'll end up fine on their own eventually. Once theyre settled on one character, theyll be able to fund their own gear for the rest too. No need to create a system for that or spoonfeed people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    I was saying solution that requires staffs to be the judge is not good and would bring more complications, but not my proposed solution.

But yes I agree maybe it is too custom.

Help from other player is not necessary for one's progress in game, but still good to have. It's the fundamental happiness people would gain from social intercourse isn't it? By exchange info, help each other out.
    I think renting is not necessary, but good to have as an viable option :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:06 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    it used to be custom to lend ints (for level up) and hp gear (to survive zak) to complete strangers

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    Sounds so good, sad I have never experienced the atomsphere you descriped.

17. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Unfortunately this server only has 1 dev, I'm not sure if this is high priority enough to address although I will admit the concept is great. But yes it's very custom, it might take a long time to implement.

If you join a great guild, you usually won't have any issues getting gear if you need it! Or make friends. I have friends that regularly borrow expensive capes, bows, etc from other friends and it's never been an issue. I've lent out my dagger too. I think if you find a great supportive community and friends then you should be able to find gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    7:06 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Personally I don't think this server has concept of 'rent' in official, it's just commitment between players.
    I see passing gears in whatever method likewise trading, dropping, means, 'possession moved', nothing else.

So renting/borrowing gears means trust on each others, and when it gets screwed, it should be on your own charge, instead of asking system to prevent it.

Thanksfully (and miraculously) I haven't lost any gears yet I rented to others (Ints for friends, or pals in bossing suddenly about to lvl but forgot bringing own ints, even for strangers, usually for buyers for my selling stuffs, in bossing, HP geras), but I still do agree I should be on own charge of my behaving. I just appreciate for general atmosphere of this community for their conscience.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    I would generally agree this idea, we should be on own charge.
    But at least currently, we are not totally on our own charge in renting behavior.

There are always staffs backing players up, though your stuff might not get retrieved, but scammers are sure to be banned (or very like to be punished).
    That means there is protection for honest friendly players, though not system level.

Furthermore under that condition, you would feel relatively eszier to rent your gear to other high progress mid-game or end-game players (you know or may not known of), since you know if they scammed they would lose more than what you rent them, hence steal your thing won't do any good to both of you. And I believe there will be a stage you have to rely on social part of the game to join most of the content, ruin himself/herself's reputation seems not optimal considering they walked that far.
    That is to say, our current civilization and peace in renting area is based on rules from ToS and authority from the staffs.

You know it, they know it, and you know that they know it. If without the back up from staffs, I think the potential cost to trust someone else is higher thus more people will be more carefully renting out their gears instead of what it is now. Most of renting that is happening is still going to happen, just more thoughts will take place in owner's mind. Don't you agree? Some thoughts like, "is he/she a mule?" "is he/she trustworthy?" "can I afford to lose my gear?". The potential threashold is going to raise.

On the other hand, renting to new players, that's more wild isn't it? You don't know if they understand the consequences. You wouldn't rent your gear unless you've imagined it's ok to send these gear out and say, "not too much to me but revealed who they really are ha? Worth it". The main difference between renting gears to new players and to old players is, new players do not have much to lose.

What I'm suggesting is, we are not "on our own charge" 100% now, we've been potentially protected by staffs and ToS under the circumstances you mentioned.
    If that part is true and makes sense, I'd say it is not too much to have a system level protection comparing to what it is now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    7:06 PM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I don't know if something changed, but not too long ago I got saved by staff because I borrowed an item for some months and the guy forgot that he sold it on market, instead of returning to me. The staff basically reminded him about that and then he paid me. I don't know what happens if the guy just decide to scam, tho.
    I liked the suggestion. I usually have a notepad with everything I borrow and it's not fun, that would make things much easier.

• Like Like x 1