1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about new players' well-being

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T2Smile, Nov 28, 2023.

Do you agree new players are getting tougher to reach most of goals than before?

1. Super agree

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Kind of agree

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Neutral

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Kind of disagree

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Strongly disagree

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    2:07 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Currently it's a bit of both. Multimaging can help significantly increase the supply of scrolls, but usually the scrolls targeted by multimaging are in such high demand that multimaging alone cannot possibly make them affordable to the layperson. In general you'll see up to a 50% reduction in price for items that are heavily multimaged (PoT, Helm Dex 60, Helm Dex 30 are the most notable examples that come to mind as those were all extremely heavily multimaged and did not drop below 50% of their current price).

At the end of the day, some items are just highly sought after and therefore command an exceptionally high price, like Shield MA 60.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    4:07 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    shield ma 60s were 20m before multimage was popular

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    5:07 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    R>multimagers to iruvatas

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Still backs up the claim that multimaging can only reduce the price of an item by at most 50%.

5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    4:07 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    white scroll

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Headless Horseman

Mar 13, 2023
    3:07 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    spicy take. I don't got time to argue rn tho

multi mage farming ws from drakes when I want a perf bow one day

7. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    isn't this thread supposed to be about the new players? what are we doing for them?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    5:07 PM
    og maple design would have u multi mage at ginseng jars.
    upload_2023-12-3_18-2-53.png

• Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    11:07 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Kindly welcoming them and telling them to remake with 300 int

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    5:07 PM
    Some reasons by "new players" for quitting the game:

1. Needing to vote for a very long time to create a viable character due to HP washing.

2. Disliking the leeching meta.

3. Disliking multi-clienting, which is the root cause of muling and multi-client farming.

4. A bad economy, attributed to multi-client farming and the monopolisation of the market.

What we do to help "new players":

1. Promote the HP challenge, although it may not be as appealing as conventional washing.

2. Inform them that leeching is a viable and easy option for new players to earn income by selling leech services, so it’s actually beneficial for them.

3. Explain that on long-standing and populated servers, multi-clienting is common, suggesting it has benefits.

4. Accept that it's a free market.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    5. Shitpost about them on forums telling them the expensive end game items they want shouldn't be as accessible as it is, and they should work harder while reeling in 200m+ day in mules and leech to buy out all end game items they want.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Ironically, you're the one who is making the game seem like it's far worse to play than any others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    toxic much?

14. Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    This isn't what I do it's what the large majority of the hypocrites on the forums are doing. Even though you continually try to control the market you're one of the few people I see push for new player experience so I'll give you credit to that

I'm just stating the reality of the state of the game and forums and what I experienced as a new player when I joined 8-9months ago lol. Literally my first hand experience

it's funny (sad) because it's true

15. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    no one can control the market.

either way it's staff's responsibility to uphold new player welcomeability, not anyone else's.

16. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Yes, but 'everyone else' can (and sometimes does) do so much to ruin new player welcomeability.

Besides, it benefits us all if the server maintains a steady influx of players. I think it's fair to say its all of our responsibility to keep the server in a nice spot.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Subterlabor

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    That's subjective but also true. The balance changes have largely revolved around end game players and protecting their assets rather than true early-midgame balancing. Rather than pissing off end game players to promote early game/new playerbase health they've largely protected the veteran players due to lash back.

Increased voting nx patch to reduce player washing time gating reverted next day due to lash back
    Refusal to make ws/cs and therefore endgame reduced in price - protecting current end game player assets

but there is also this crap
    Easy for a level 200 player who does duo/trio HT, 18man PB, Duo Cwkpq, and any NT content in (assuming) duo
    Ws+10 bow already completed during multimage/dk mule prime to tell everyone else that Timeless/reverse is too easy to get when a perf bow is 800m, perf claw 900m+
    Apparently we should all be walking around with Nisrocks until we are 175+

These opinions largely drive the changes that this server sees, and we wonder why new players don't stick around

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Sure, but you as a new player came in with a lot of misinformation yourself while people were trying to tell you that your decisions were probably not efficient. What do you do with stubborn new players who clearly don't have a grasp of holistic game balance trying to tell players who have been playing for significantly longer than them they're wrong? The victim mentality only hurts new players from learning and causes older players to resent offering any help.

This has never been about new players vs old players. Old players are actually quite invested in growing MapleLegends and we want new players to stick around.

Idk about you, but any end game player I know has always been more than happy to help when approached with sincerity and humility. It becomes annoying af when people come in demanding changes, trying to point out everything wrong with the game from their shallow perspective, when they've only been playing in the server for 1-2 months, and even more so if they choose not to listen to anything people are telling them as if we're the ones trying to make their experience worse.

People are doomering shad farming without even knowing anything about it. It's hilarious to people who are in the know of things when you see others perpetuating lies about something they don't know anything about.

Anyways, I'm not trying to be hostile towards you. You've changed a lot since you started coming here and I can see your growth, and I hope you continue to be a part of this community. But you need to back off with the pointing of fingers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    As much as I sometimes strongly disagree with Subterlabors opinions, he/she is damn right...
    It does feel like staff is holding back on changes to avoid old players from rioting (you damn entitled people on yer red winter chairs...). At the same time, its the old players that do stress newer ones to conform to the meta. And before someone claims I havent been around long enough, Ive been here for over 3 years and that should be plenty.

Ofcourse, playing hyperefficient, multiclienting everything and washing to 30k are the best options to reach endgame fast and be rich af, but not everyone is gonna enjoy it. Theres people complaining about multimagers for good reasons, because its not all positive for the game and community. Theres people complaining about the constant advices to remake and wash for good reasons.

Not following the meta (willingly or not) or explicitly wanting to include an extra person in content when its not required for the DPM is being laughed and frowned upon most of the time. Imagine being invited to a zakum party as a fresh 135, but the other 4 players dont want you to join cuz they dont need you and rather get higher splits. How welcoming do you think that would be? I would understand why the 4 would deny the newbie, but if that happens multiple times to that newbie, theyre not gonna stick around. Does this scenario happen? Yes, yes it does.

Im sure theres new players that do believe theyre sincerely doing the right thing when veterans would say they dont, but let them figure that out themselves. Its often better to learn along the way that its not working out that well, rather than being told you suck and should be doing it differently. Does it waste their time? Perhaps, but were playing a mushroom game, its wasted time anyway. (Tho time enjoyed, is never wasted imo)

As Ainz said, its up to all of us to make this server welcoming for new players, and we as a community have to do better. It doesnt matter how long youve been out here, it doesnt hurt to let people play how they want and accept that not everyone wants to play the game as if its their day job. Theres sweaties, theres socials and theres hybrids. We need to accept all of them and sometimes just sacrifice those few minutes, that one box, to simply make someones day and this a better place for all of us.

That said, in some ways new players have it harder than the old ones, in other ways they have it easier. Times change and so does the game. Best we can do is show them around, make them comfy and help them reach the same heights.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    A couple of clarifications, first of all.

I've read about mage drop rates nerfed as a point against new players' experience and ease of gameplay progression. In fact, mage (non-ult) drop rates were buffed, this September, to be on par with every other skill.

The meso sack pickup being limited to the player who killed the monster only affects sacks of above 1000 mesos. The aim of this was mostly to deter excessive gains from the pairing of mages and Meso Up mules.

Now, when it comes to balancing towards new players, the way is always gonna be a bit tricky.
    Every balancing act aimed at new players will always be useable by old players as well. Take a PQ buff, for example: if the net worth of Kerning PQ were to go up, this would give a new player, and the mule(s) of an old player, a nice wealth boost.
    How do you prevent this from being exploitable? You either make the reward so small that higher level players aren't incentivized to include them in their content farming rotation (which then means that new players too would barely feel any benefit - and at that point, that doesn't sound worth doing at all), or you make it a bit more substantial, but bound to the character you gained it on. Say, untradeable potions to soften the wallet hit whenever you enter the grocery shops, untradeable stat boost items, and other bonuses that are basically an indirect meso gain.

This concept can be extended (and scaled) to any kind of content, until it's no longer useful. Which is to say, until your goals reach late/endgame material.

This is gonna be my personal opinion, which is likely controversial and definitely arguable.
    Both rewards and goals should scale based on your game level. In the same way you don't need to scroll a level 64 weapon once you're fighting Pink Bean, you also don't need to plan your Timeless weapon while you're recruiting for LPQ.
    You don't need White Scrolls or Prestigious Coins as rewards, before you're even 4th job. You need ways to more readily craft and/or scroll your gear, not to buy a perfect weapon off the market.
    Once you reach a point where perfecting an equipment via WS starts entering your radar, that's when you should be having options to farm the necessary. Be it the equipment + ws themselves, or the money to purchase a service.

Anyways, back to realistic concepts.
    That is true. It's also why the current main focuses of our progress are the challenge system and the PQ rework.

APQ was the first PQ to get "reworked" (a word that includes a literal full recode of everything concerning it) because, apart from the bit of QoL we wanted to add to it (sparing people from being locked in the lobby, having a better bonus stage, fixing whatever the platform system in stage 3 was even supposed to be), it's also the easiest PQ to get varied feedback from. For example, the way the new "PQ captain" works, no longer necessarily requiring the party leader to progress, can feel confusing, even though it's clear progress from kicking everyone out once the leader leaves.
    Also, whichever technical issues or bugs there may be, are easier to show up from content that's run frequently, like APQ.
    Before I use the new APQ code template for the rework of every other PQ (because that's the goal, after all), I want to make sure that it works.

This instead I don't understand. What content seems to be held back in that way?

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2