1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Buff icons and Debuff icons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by xiaoyaoz, Mar 19, 2024.

1. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    7:11 AM
    It's been a while since we introduced the concept of two rows of buff icons, and during this time, we've received various suggestions and feedback about the system.

The original idea was simply to split certain "passive" icons, meaning ones that aren't expected to be manually monitored and cancelled frequently, from the rest of buffs.
    This would in theory solve the issue of certain classes having too many icons on one row, which would end up hidden behind the clock during boss expeditions (and which was one of the reasons the split idea was worked on to begin with), without however needing to figure out a more meaningful distinction between the rows, which at the time didn't seem too relevant. Active Berserk was not a thing yet.

Currently, these are the buffs that are displayed in the bottom row:
    • Monster Rider
    • Spaceship
    • Battleship
    • Beholder's passive buffs (5 icons that Beholder auto-refreshes)
    • Assassinate charging timer (the actual Charged buff is in the regular top row)
    • Energy Charge (a later addition coming from a suggestion)

While this separation does get the job done, when it comes to simply shortening the top row, it's far from ideal when we look at what else it could potentially help with - that is, more visual clarity and organization of the information.

We want to ask the community for their input on whether this system should change, and if yes, how.

A few potential variants could include:
    • Splitting between party buffs and personal buffs;
    • Splitting between regular buffs and objectively "important" buffs (as in, buffs that are critical for the player to know the state of: for example Magic Guard, Meso Guard, Hyper Body, Holy Shield, Berserk);
    • Keeping the current splitting, but adding more buffs to the "passive" row;
    • Any other variation you could think of.
    Also, suggestions may include multiple configurations to hide behind a .ini file option, with the current live layout being the basic one.

Links to existing suggestion threads about this topic:
    If there are existing suggestions that I forgot to list, please do reach out and they will be included!

For simplicity, we will provide a list of all the personal buffs and the party buffs, which might help any planning.

Common
    [​IMG] Recovery
    [​IMG] Nimble Feet
    [​IMG] Monster Riding
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Weapon Booster
    [​IMG] Spaceship

Warrior
    [​IMG] Iron Body
    [​IMG] Power Guard
    [​IMG] Combo Attack
    [​IMG] Elemental Charges
    [​IMG] Power Stance
    [​IMG] Enrage
    [​IMG] Dragon Blood
    [​IMG] Berserk
    [​IMG] Beholder
    [​IMG] Hex of the Beholder buffs

Magician
    [​IMG] Magic Guard
    [​IMG] Magic Armor
    [​IMG] Invincible
    [​IMG] Mystic Door
    [​IMG] Summon Dragon
    [​IMG] Mana Reflection
    [​IMG] Infinity
    [​IMG] Elquines
    [​IMG] Ifrit
    [​IMG] Bahamut

Archer
    [​IMG] Focus
    [​IMG] Soul Arrow
    [​IMG] Puppet
    [​IMG] Silver Hawk
    [​IMG] Golden eagle
    [​IMG] Phoenix
    [​IMG] Frostprey
    [​IMG] Blind
    [​IMG] Hamstring
    [​IMG] Concentrate

Thief
    [​IMG] Dark Sight
    [​IMG] Shadow Partner
    [​IMG] Pickpocket
    [​IMG] Meso Guard
    [​IMG] Shadow Stars
    [​IMG] Assassinate (charging)
    [​IMG] Assassinate (charged)

Pirate
    [​IMG] Dash
    [​IMG] Oak Barrel
    [​IMG] Energy Charge
    [​IMG] Gaviota
    [​IMG] Transformation
    [​IMG] Battleship

[​IMG] Echo of Hero
    [​IMG] Maple Warrior
    [​IMG] Rage
    [​IMG] Iron Will
    [​IMG] Hyper Body
    [​IMG] Meditation
    [​IMG] Bless
    [​IMG] Holy Symbol
    [​IMG] Holy Shield
    [​IMG] Sharp Eyes
    [​IMG] Haste
    [​IMG] Meso Up
    [​IMG] Speed Infusion

Additionally, we'd like to discuss the idea of adding more visual information about player debuffs too.
    For debuffs, we have two important factors we need to consider:
    • Player's own debuffs (which should be easily visible at all times, regardless of map clutter);
    • Party member debuffs (knowing them might help managing buffs and healing effects).
    The reason we're bringing up debuffs in this thread is because one of the suggestions for them was to add a third row of buff icons, which would be used solely for them. This is a recent suggestion that is worth discussing.

Alternatively, other options could be adding icons to the party HP indicator window (suggestion that was also brought up before), and/or including them in spots closer to the bottom status bar.

Please keep in mind that, while a reordering of buffs in the two rows will potentially be coming live in the next patch, debuff changes will require more work.

Thank you!

• Great Work Great Work x 13
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    3:11 AM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    Not sure how feasible it is but what if the buffs bar was movable like the buccs energy charge bar?

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    2:11 AM
    iPippy
    Perhaps the most important information to convey in a layout is the ability for a player to tell if a buff/debuff is active and how long it has left. Buff durations are fairly well portrayed to the player as is, but if it takes a while to find where on the bar important buffs are located, the design is flawed. The current system works, but I also think that's more a symptom of users simply getting used to it, and the need to quickly check buffs is minimal, rather than being an efficient ui design.

Personally, the effectively randomized window of buffs ordered by cast time is the biggest offender of ability to locate a buff. It's fine when there are only a couple buffs, but it quickly becomes a daunting task to find one specific icon in a group of 10+ while doing anything more than hold dpm button, rare as that may be. In lieu of drawing an entire ui layout, I propose a 3-row system of buffs:
    1. Potpourri buffs: self-buffs with lower priority (ideally defined by user, but not a deal-breaker) boosters, pally charges, summons, etc and potions. Probably still sorted the way they have been as there may be too many to do anything more.
    2. Party buffs: the list of party buffs should be small enough that they could each have their own set location in a static ordering and a high transparency array so a player knows exactly where to look to see if they have shield, for example.
    3. High-priority buffs: survival stuff and things on the current 2nd row could go here. Bonus points for the ability for a user to define stuff like stance or shadow claw higher priority, but it should ideally be a small list of only a couple icons at most.

If we haven't ran out of ui space, a row for debuffs could go below that, or maybe in the top left? Or even in the moveable window karn proposes as there can only be 2 anyways? Either way, until we plan to develop situations where debuffs are more relevant than pressing the all-cure button if you have a debuff the important debuff informations would be remaining duration of sed and reverse, and thats mostly because they cant be dispelled. Additionally, whether or not you are zombifed is important, but that one isnt for yourself as much as the hs-mule in the corner to know they can press heal in the 1-2 fights its relevant. I wonder if a revamped party status window would be the place to show party debuffs...?

Also, why is rage listed in the buffs section and not the debuff section?

Ultimately, the way to test ui designs is fairly trial and error testing with various prototypes on a variety of players. Not sure if staff has that capacity due to its inherently veiled nature.

4. Endorphinss

Endorphinss Mixed Golem

Jul 28, 2021
    Male
    9:11 AM
    Endorphins
    Hey my thread is here! Hero buffs are closer than ever

5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:11 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    While we’re at it, a cooldown row would be amazing.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I'm really hesitant to have a staff-designed "priority" list of buffs, because it'll:
    1. require ongoing upkeep and maintenance according to balance changes, reworks, staff member changes, etc.
    2. change depending on the player and the context (I'm sure there's plenty of players who would rather not have things like Magic Guard or Hyper Body on the "priority" bar)
    Customized buffs would be fantastic but sounds like a lot of work to set up as not only would that functionality need to be built, there would need to be additional infrastructure to allow the player to define what they want where.

That all being said, I too would like to see a third bar in some form and/or debuffs displayed somewhere on the player UI.

Honestly I don't know how feasible this is but if players had the ability to just drag frames around their screen (drag their HP bar around, drag their buff bar around, drag their chat box around, drag their quick bar around, drag the boss timer around, etc) or resize them (make the boss timer smaller, make buffs bigger, etc) that would be such a monumental improvement to UX.

This is only tangentially related but I'd also like to potentially look into with defining custom sprite layers. If the players could say set Boss sprites to a higher layer than other player sprites or attack animations (not their own sprite/animations) this would be I think the single best possible QoL change that could be made in terms of visual clarity.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  7. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    12:11 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I think it'd be nice to keep "my buffs" in my own bar, with concentrate it often gets buried in buffs. For me personally (other experience may apply) I just want to check my buffs, HB, bless, Hs. It would make it much easier for me if I can quickly reference one bar for each specific thing I'm looking for

8. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    4:11 PM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Party buffs
    Self buffs
    Status conditions

should be the 3 lines imo

• Like Like x 3
  9. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    I also agree with:
    1. Self buffs
    2. Party buffs
    3. Debuffs (if implemented)

I think self buffs on the top row will look neater in general, especially when running content with small parties, but that could easily be a config option.

I agree that deciding on and maintaining a priority list is not practical and would take far too long to iterate on to reach an optimal list, given the frequency of patch cycles.

I would also be interested in exploring the option to sort buffs alphabetically instead of by cast time, so that one can develop an intuitive idea about where "roughly" to look for a specific buff, instead of it being essentially random. This could again be a toggle in the config.

• Like Like x 3
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I've given this a little more thought and I actually am unsure about debuffs on the top right, at least not without being able to move our health bar as well in some form.

Let's take a look at where player focus tends to be drawn after being affected by a status effect.
    Debuffs:
    • Cursed (EXP reduction): irrelevant
    • Weakness/Reverse/Slow (Movement interference): player focus on character
    • Seduce (Pot denial): player focus on HP/MP
    • Seal/Darkness (Ability denial): player focus on HP/MP or character
    • Zombify (Heal reduction): player focus on HP/MP
    • Stun (Action denial): irrelevant, no possible player response
    For the vast majority of these, the player's attention will generally be focused either in the center (on their character) or bottom left (on their HP/MP bars) of their screen in response to a status effect in order to adjust their movement or prepare for a subsequent reaction (such as seeing if they need to use Hero's Will). By placing these debuffs on the top right, you're forcing players to split their attention between two parts of the screen for some of these, most notably Zombify and Seduce, whereas ideally the player would like to be able to monitor both debuff status and their current HP/MP simultaneously. If we're trying to actually design good UI here, I think top right is the incorrect place for debuffs, and as weird as it may sound it might be better to place them in the center or bottom of the screen somewhere, where it can actually be used effectively without dragging player focus away from other important elements.

Alternatively place all of these inside frames such as the Party "HP Mark" frame and let us just drag it around wherever we want.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:11 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
  12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Do you mean the Party "HP Mark" element? I don't think this is actually effective in letting the player track their own HP, since in peripheral vision there is no way to distinguish the bars from each other. In order for the player to actually make use of this, their own HP bar needs to be distinguished somehow.

13. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:11 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    ya i used to use whichever order i was in the party to get used staring at the dr

14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I would much prefer having an actually dedicated self-HP/MP element we could move around. I think using Party HP Mark is pretty terrible in terms of UX.

15. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    I think that's a fair criticism, and the same reason why bucc energy bar near hp/mp is the obvious, objectively correct choice.

In practice, I think players would not change their focus and instead adjust to noticing debuffs on the top right in their peripheral vision to react accordingly, but I would also personally prefer debuff icons near hp/mp if it's possible to implement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I agree players would adapt, I mean it's just strictly better than what we currently have since we don't even have debuffs on the UI at all except in the chat box. I think good UI design should accommodate for the different actual use cases though, and if a custom change like this is going to be implemented, I'd rather it be done right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    8:11 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    If we get debuff icons in the top right I want to be able to cancel them by right clicking.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    2:11 AM
    iPippy
    Energy charge bar goes in that nice little spot between the level and chatbar, and you cannot change my mind. Also, there may be space right next to the HP bar for debuff tokens? Though I question if there'd be enough space to get the icons distinct enough, and don't believe it solves the issue of conveying duration of status remaining. The latter is the bigger issue, at least personally.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Yeah it might be a little cramped, but I do like the placement in terms of alignment with player focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:11 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    That's why I agree with Karn's suggestion, of being able to move it like buccs bubble, whoever made Auf right when it was released, knows
    how the player looked cross-eyed

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 1