1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you boss?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ovv, Jul 25, 2022.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    3:45 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I doubt much has changed when strictly looking at bossing. The same bosses are still meta, with the exception of NT2, the only difference is multimaging isn't as popular anymore since there's less diversity in viable maps.

1. What type of player would you classify yourself as? (Casual, Sweaty, In-Between)
    Casual

2. What types of bosses do you run, and why?
    Zak, HT, PB. They're quick, engaging, and highly profitable. The only content I feel like I'm missing out on is duo CWK but there's a lack of duo-CWK level cleave players. Eventually I may pivot back to CB as well. Those 5 bosses are the only ones that have acceptably high EV to be worth my time, imo, although I'll JC every now and then if I have some time to kill.

3. Do you also participate in mage farming/multimage farming?

No, but I have in the past. My will to multimage fell off hard once I finished my bow.

4. Leave any other comments/thoughts regarding this topic.
    I think the "Big 5" (Zak, CWK, HT, CB, PB) are all in a pretty good spot, but I'd like to see the EV floor on shittier bosses raised. The EV provided from the higher value bosses is quite good, and they make for enjoyable social content, but outside of those 5 there's a lot of garbage. Every other boss fight has some kind of giant gaping flaw, whether it be length and interactivity (Toad), rewards (Krex, Verga, etc), or just being generally inaccessible (Auf, BGA).

That being said it seems like addressing this discrepancy is incredibly low on staff's list of priorities so I'm not holding out hope. Auf especially is horrible and yet receives little attention.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm actually expecting a shift in sentiment/responses because I think the meta has changed since 2022. If you read through people's past posts (and even the original questions involved), I think the general consensus was that bossing wasn't seen as very profitable especially when compared to multimaging. With boss farming more normalized these days and ease of multimaging neutered a bit, I'd expect things to have changed.

I'd agree that nothing has changed content-wise but the community perspective probably has.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Hmm maybe. It feels like most people I know are more or less doing the same things, maybe with a bit less multimaging on the side, and a bit more multiattacking instead. I think bossing is seen as more tolerable now than before since multimaging is much more of a pain in the ass than previously, but the EV remains the same. The splits are just better because we learned to optimize, multiattack, and have better gear than before.

Personally for me, I viewed bossing as just as valuable before, but I was much weaker at the time and had access to far less infrastructure so the types of runs I had access to were much more limited. I don’t boss more now because it’s better, I just have a better set up for it.

4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:45 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    same

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    7:45 PM
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    1. What type of player would you classify yourself as? (Casual, Sweaty, In-Between)
    Casual
    Zak, CB, HT, PB, JC.
    Eventually run other bosses too but these are the only ones that I feel like it's worth the time to do regularly
    Did in the past but nowdays very rarely
    I kinda understand why PB got unofficially nerfed but at least make more bosses worth running

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    6:45 PM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Reset
    Sweaty. I don't know what you all consider "casual", but IMO some of you are a lot sweatier then you claim.

Zak, JC, Rav. Sometimes HT, but it's hard for me to commit to time slots ahead of time. I primarily boss for exp on my Night Lord. I'll also boss to acquire drops that can't be obtained through mage farming, such as Zak/Rav helms, MoN, HTP, etc. However, for the most part multi-mage farming is more profitable, more experience, and more convenient for my schedule.

Absolutely.

I think TarnishedTarnished summarized this perfectly when they said:
    Bossing is in an interesting spot. The game has changed a LOT in the past few years, and from what I can tell the direction has been positive to bring multi-x farming and bossing more inline. What people often don't bring up is the fact that multi-maging is more convenient. Sure, you can adjust drops such that the hourly EV is comparable, but the ability to log on and clock an hour or two of multi-x, where I KNOW I'll make a consistent profit/exp thus consistent progress is much more appealing to my schedule. And this doesn't have to be more end-game content, this could be as easy as making some of the existing bosses actually worthwhile to run.

There's only a few bosses that are actually truly profitable, and it puts the game in a strange place, especially for players who are never going to reach 6-man HT or 18-man PB. Even just giving a greater range of worthwhile end-game content would go a long way in making it a viable alternative to farming for those that prefer that style of gameplay.

Many mid to late-game bosses still need something to make them worthwhile. It could be as simple as increasing the exp of all the mid-game bosses like Scarga, such that they're actually worth running. Or maybe adding more NX to the drop table of all bosses. Something. Even just adding a few worthwhile 30% scrolls to a few of the drop tables would go a long way increasing the breadth of viable bossing content.

MMO's NEED bossing. We need that "dragon" at the end that's worth chasing. It doesn't have to be designed in a way that all content is equally profitable, but it would go a long way to improve the game if there was more than 3 to 5 "dragons" at the end that were worth doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. questionask

questionask Orange Mushroom

May 30, 2021
    In between, but much more casual side

Used to do daily JC, Rav and Pap but have moved on to daily JC, Dunas1 and Namie. They are easy to duo/trio attack with my current set of characters while being able to progress with the characters.

Occasional CB/HT if I have time.

Nope

4. Leave any othercomments/thoughts regarding this topic.
    Trio attacking with a BM on D1 makes me ascend into a higher level of focus.

I have experienced many D1 glitches including undpable miss status (forgot name), getting stuck in a spot on the map and only being able to turn the character left and right, getting damaged for no reason (especially when going into the sign up map).

8. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    12:45 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Can you really claim to be more casual when you use multiple devices to play?

9. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Reset
    For the record, it looks like SobletSoblet also self-reports as a "casual" :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The main thing I've noticed was a significant drop in NT 1 popularity - especially Nameless. It even got a drop rate buff and yet seems to be more dead than before. Like you said, the current state of bossing is most likley because people have found their niche and choose to stick to what they're familiar with, improving with experience and growth, but bossing seems to have lost its exploratory charm and has instead become the same old grind like the rest of the game.

I say this every time it comes up, but restricting NT signs from 30 to 6 was a terrible move. The fear of coin muling strategies came at a cost of killing off open socialization in bossing content. I miss the days where we'd see in guild chat or in smegas "r> nameless, come get free coins" which would encourage strangers to mingle - incentivized by a few measly coins.

To me, 2022 MapleLegends seemed to be more exciting and open with the implementation of prestigious coins/bossing pouches because information wasn't as widely known and people weren't guided into specific progression pathways. In 2024, it seems like everything has been 'solved' and the optimal content pipeline makes a significant chunk of content irrelevant.

I wonder if we could have more of a seasonal drop rate adjustment, kind of like a 'flavor of the month' means to incentivize people through different types of content. Staff has already established the tools to do such with Event Boss Pouches.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. questionask

questionask Orange Mushroom

May 30, 2021
    is it considered sweaty if I use my feet

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Depends how stinky they are

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Good catch, back then I only played one client actively and only had others open to leech or buff so I still consider it casual.

Now I multiclient attackers at low level bosses and I'd say it's not much more sweating than if I played a single client character that dies in 1 or 2 hits.

Certainly sweatier now but imo not as sweaty as using multiple devices or footpedals.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I view it based on effort and playtime, nothing else. Sure I optimize and have strict DPM requirements that make me seem like a cutthroat host at times, but generally on most days I just run Zak and that's it. I view that as pretty casual as most "casual" players I know do far more than just that on a daily basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I mean tbf Nameless always had terrible EV, people just did it because it was easy and AFK. Now it's twice the work for 10% more drops, and anyone with a brain can see that's not a worthwhile tradeoff. The NT1 "rework" fixed a lot of jank with NT1 without actually addressing the core issue: the drops and the exp.

I have also been a very vocal proponent for seasons or FotM but I don't think we're at a point where people are ready to accept that yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    replying again to see how much I've changed in that time

Casual

Almost dailie core and jc
    weekly PB
    When I have more time I do the rest of NT
    Until a while ago I was doing dailie pap and rav to get xp from another char
    I tried for a while to keep cwk in my routine, but it got bad for the short time I've been playing

Never farmed with mage

After some time lv 200 I understood why people make new chars, sometimes just farming bosses for money ends up taking away some of the motivation, having chars to level up, at least the exp for the other char..
    I believe that some bosses are still worth doing, other not much,
    That's why I think it's important for you to find content that you like, or have other plans that don't just involve making money.
    I also believe in a certain meritocracy, the more you farm, the more you have, but that doesn't stop you from playing the game your way even if it takes longer

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Karn

Karn Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karn, Fayden
    Buccaneer
    Favela
    I relate to this. I classified myself as casual because of my average daily playtime of ~90 minutes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    not ironically, for someone who plays less time, having more than one character is even more useful

• Agree Agree x 1