1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Easy & free alternative to running MapleLegends on M1/M2 Macs

Discussion in 'Guides' started by kokonutpunk, Feb 27, 2023.

1. kokonutpunk

kokonutpunk Red Snail

Feb 26, 2023
    Male
    11:03 AM
    kokonutpunk
    Update (3/7/23):
    New VM images uploaded for Mar 6 version. MapleLegends Update shortcut added to Desktop for easy future updates!

Update (3/3/23):

Sound might be muted in the VM. Unmute in the top right!

Update (2/28/23):
    This guide was initially meant to cover M1/M2 Macs, but it now also supports Intel / X86 Macs as well.

Background

I have had a lot of issues trying to get Crossover setup on my M1 Macbook. It also seemed like a lot of people were experiencing similar difficulties. Parallels seemed to do the job but it's expensive. So I tried to come up with an easy & free alternative using UTM.

[​IMG]

Step-by-step guide
    1. Download UTM.dmg from their Github. Open it and drag the UTM app into your Applications directory.

2. Download and unzip the Ubuntu 20.04 image for Intel (X86) or Apple Silicon (ARM) with MapleLegends pre-configured (details below).

3. Open the Ubuntu 20.04 ARM.utm. In the UTM app, you should see Ubuntu 20.04 ARM on the left panel. Right click it and select Edit -> Network -> Random. This is to ensure that everyone is has a different hardware identifier when they login.
      [​IMG]

4. Start the VM.

5. Open the MapleLegends shortcut on the desktop. (It will likely flicker with a couple windows before actually starting the game, but no need to worry.)

6. Enjoy!

Technical details
    • What are the pros/cons of this approach?
      Pros:
      - It's completely free forever
      - Works out of the box
      - HD resolution supported (1366x768)
      Cons:
      - (Apple Silicon ONLY) Some slight graphical lag. Still very playable!
      - You need 10GB of free space for the VM
      These issues may be fixed in the future after some more tweaking.
    • Why don’t I hear any sound?
      Sound might be muted in the VM. Look at the top right menu bar and unmute.
    • How can I patch my client in the future?
      Just open the MapleLegends Update icon on the Desktop and it will automatically update. If you're interested, the ~/wine/games/MapleLegends/Payload directory contains all the game files. It’s derived from the Wineskin so replacing this directory with the new client files is all that’s needed. You can delete the Payload folder and run the ~/wine/games/MapleLegends/Setup script to re-install the client.

(I will also try to update the VM links with future client updates.)
    • How does this work for Apple Silicon?
      M1/M2 Macs use a different CPU architecture known as ARM. In order to run MapleLegends and even Wine, your system needs a way to run X86 binaries. The only way to do this is through emulation, which is inherently slower. There are two emulation options: system (run an entire X86 Windows/Linux VM) or user emulation (run just the X86 process in an ARM system).

In this case, we are doing the latter because system emulation is ungodly slow and because X86 Windows VMs don’t support any graphics with UTM/QEMU. The user emulator we use is called FEX-Emu (all the quirks you might see are likely related to the emulator). We can’t use box64 because M1/M2 Macs can’t run arm32 binaries.

Lastly, we run a precompiled Wine appimage using FEX-Emu to run MapleLegends in the VM. Direct3D and all the graphics work because of paravirtualized graphics supported by UTM/QEMU called VirGL (only supported for Linux).
    Linux gaming has come a long way and it’s getting better by the day. If you find any improvements or updates, send them over and I can update the guide.

• Great Work Great Work x 18
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MainSan

MainSan Mushmom

Mar 20, 2022
    Male
    5:03 PM
    MainSan
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk
    Do you have any documentation of this?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    kokonutpunk

kokonutpunk Red Snail

Feb 26, 2023
    Male
    kokonutpunk
    Ah I think I know where that bug might be coming from...

Open Terminal and type `FEXConfig`. It should open a GUI and then go to the `Hacks` tab. Uncheck the following three:
    • `x87 Reduced Precision`
    • `Unsafe local flags optimization`
    • `Disable PF calculation`
    I was experimenting with trying to improve performance. It's a bit of tinkering around and there's probably some better settings.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    kokonutpunk

kokonutpunk Red Snail

Feb 26, 2023
    Male
    kokonutpunk
    I think performance suffers without the `x87 Reduced Precision. I would also play around with CPU -> Block Size (set to 50000).

• Like Like x 1
  5. myko

myko Snail

Mar 29, 2023
    Male
    8:03 AM
    Mykael
    Magician
    Have you guys been able to multiclient without crashing?

6. Cazushio

Cazushio Snail

May 8, 2023
    Male
    1:03 AM
    Cazushio
    Assassin
    I have been using this method to play maple legends.
    the June patch just came out and i tried the maple legends update shortcut but the game is still showing match 6 2023 on the top bar.

is there a way to fix this?

7. powertoilet

powertoilet Snail

Oct 15, 2023
    since OP has it set up to update the payload folder from their dropbox, the automatic updates arent working since they are no longer maintaining the payload folder on their end. To fix this you can download the maplelegends MAC version, which contains a prebuild payload file that you can drag and drop into wine/game/maplelegends (download the mac version by going through the links on the front page, i cant embed links because my forum account is new)

Basically find the payload file inside the MAC download and drag and drop it into the maplelegends folder. the final setup should be wine/game/maplelegends/payload

To make things easy you can just download this file within ubuntu on UTM

then run it with the link on the desktop. You may need to do this once or twice to get it to work. Make sure the bar on the application says the latest version, to know you did it right.

I havent figured out how to fullscreen it yet, but i think that this is a really important way to be able to run maplestory on the mac. Since its UTM it doesnt require cracking crossover over and over again (and not to mention that it actually works on the latest mac os)

Im running this on my macbook air 15.

I'd recommend that staff should try to take over this project and have it as an official alternative to crossover, since OP set up scripts to auto update and everything, having this available would be a great resource!

8. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    Thanks for writing this up.

From personal testing, the best solution for M1 Macs is to use Parallels. However, the paid version can be pricey.

For anyone looking for a free solution to this problem, I recommend taking a look at MottMott's [Apple Silicon] MacOS Installation Guide, though results may be mixed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Geeky

Geeky Blue Snail

Jan 6, 2017
    Female
    8:03 AM
    Geeky
    Thief
    Honor
    Hi, thank you for your solution! It looks like I'm able to update the client version by just replacing the Payload folder.
    It looks like I'm able to get as far as logging in, character selection, and moving around.. but when going through portals, the game crashes.
    Is there any solution to this?