1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to solve washing, attracting new players and having fun while retaining veteran achievements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by zydeco, Dec 16, 2021.

1. zydeco

zydeco Blue Snail

Feb 21, 2021
    Male
    9:38 PM
    This was originally going to be posted as a reply to a thread. However, it got so long that I decided to make a new post. Here it is:

How to solve washing, attracting new players and having fun without trivializing the achievements of veterans.

First, there’s been a lot of talk about nerfing leeching as the answer to: washing, making the game fun for lower lvls, and attracting new players. I don’t believe nerfing leeching would have those effects, and I don’t think it’s the main culprit. If I could, I would play new characters all the way to 4th without leech, but that’s impossible/so absurdly inefficient with 250+ base int.

To me, the real issue is the Int itself. It both makes characters unplayable and requires players to put in an incredible amount of forethought to create a new character. I’d recommend solving both of these issues by removing the ability to HP and MP wash entirely. Make it so you can’t add or remove from HP and MP, or at least can’t do so without losing stats (i.e. bloodwashing).

The replacement for washing would be the ability to buy +MP and +HP tokens directly from the cash shop. This would allow us to play new characters without being saddled with Int, without having to calculate out base int across 160 levels, and without needing to save up 1m+ NX before starting a character to avoid carrying around unnecessary base int in 4th job.

People would just be able to start a new character and wash them as they played, maintaining full strength throughout their game progression and leveling free from the dread of having to remake because they need or want more HP.

How would this affect current players?

If implemented well, it should not take away any of the achievement for the years of voting current washed players enjoy. However, it will do away with the difficulty of having leveled with base int, as that won’t be necessary anymore.

The solution to maintaining parity would be figuring out the approximate NX price of HP and MP with current washing mechanics. You then charge that rate, per HP/MP, for +HP and +MP tokens. This could be job constrained, as it differs between classes currently, and we may want to conserve the difficulty of washing different classes.

Excessive HP/MP

With traditional washing it’s extremely difficult to wash to high HP/MP amounts on certain jobs. Washing a 30k NL for instance. Our new system should aim to change as little of the spirit of washing as possible, so we should preserve this progressive difficulty. We could do so in a number of ways:
    • Make +HP tokens work as a percentage of remaining HP to 30k. (Nice because it allows you to quickly wash to moderate amounts of HP, but gets harder as you get more HP).
    • Make +HP tokens work in tiers, i.e. 50hp per token until 10k, the 25hp until 15k etc… (Same benefits as above, but with more control over the HP curve)
    • My personal favorite, lock HP tiers behind mesos. A NL at 15k HP, for example, may need to pay 1b to unlock 18k. (This would also create a nice meso sink).
    I particularly like the idea of option 1 or 2 being used in conjunction with option 3. This would make washing to high levels progressively more difficult from both an NX and a meso standpoint, and could result in washing being MORE difficult than it is now, but also more engaging and preferable for new / returning players.

Conclusion

When designing this system, the ideas I kept at the front of my mind were:
    • Base Int is what causes excessive leeching, stops people wanting to play through 1st-3rd jobs and hinders newer players.
    • The goal of the system should be to get rid of base int, while also being simpler to understand than current washing mechanics.
    • We need to preserve the achievements of veteran players. Likely by requiring similar amounts of NX to wash as we currently have.
    • We need to preserve the washing difficulty curve, making higher amounts of HP and MP increasingly difficult to earn.
    Finally, to get all of you veteran players onboard, I’d like to point out that implementing this change would also give you the opportunity to gain HP/MP without Kalash washing.

Thanks for reading my word vom and please post feedback, improvements and analysis about the system. Have a great day!

Edit: I’d also like to add that this system should extend the content available to any single character. Rather than being forced at creation to decide the amount of HP your character will have (assuming people would remake before kalash washing), your character can continue to progress as you gain more NX, levels and mesos.

• Great Work Great Work x 21
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander

OnionMuha

That'd be really cool.

Is it balanced for all classes' formulas? Or a 1-Size-Fit-All for the HP/MP curves of the tokens?

Example:
    • Mages = +6HP for stale washing
    Would that mean MAGES can get to 30k HP a lot easier than before with the HP tokens?

Also.... would that imply that it'd be HARDER for mages to get to 30k MP with a 1-Size-Fit-All curve for the MP tokens?

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Maybe you truly do share this sentiment, but I assure you that the general population does not. The vast majority of players prefer to do at least some leech in third job because of how broken it is in terms of exp per hour.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    6:38 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Not to mention how I can leech up 5 attackers simultaneously, while I can only grind up 1 (maybe 2) at a time.

5. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    What you mention here both contradict with what you're trying to get across, if a newer player has the issues of "leveling up" with higher base INT then wouldn't they have issues towards keeping up with their recharging stars and gear?

Having to pay 1billion mesos for an example of a boost of 3k hp, it sounds more like you hate NLs and want them to suffer more along with spending more time than it would normally take them to get past 15k hp.

If this method is somewhat implemented how would the players that would still have base INT remove their base INT?

Would there be an "AP Reset Scroll" where it resets all AP to base 4, or would this person have to still vote to get AP Resets and reset their INT into their main stats, then continue to progress with HP/MP tokens?

Retracted my disagree for now until more information is given because it's still somewhat confusing to understand.

6. OP
    OP
    zydeco

zydeco Blue Snail

Feb 21, 2021
    Male
    Hey everyone. Thanks so much for your replies, I’ll try to address them as well as I can.

Also, I’d like to assure you that any numbers you see here are just examples. Any actual changes in game should include analysis beyond what I’ve written here.

Great question! I mentioned the amount of HP/MP gained being class specific as an option and your reply definitely makes me think this should be the case.

Ideally we should preserve the difficulty and the amount of NX required to wash each job. So it should not be any easier for a new player to HP wash their mage, or any more difficult for them to hit 30k MP on that mage (in terms of NX resources).

That’s a very fair point, and it could be a good idea to further balance leech for 75-120. I think that’s a separate and more contentious issue though, and I’d like to stay away from it as I think it would derail this topic.

However, I don’t think poor grinding performance (especially when compared to leech) for most 3rd job classes detracts from the overall point that base Int makes the game unplayable without leech. A new player entering a world where people start leeching at level 10 is a very different experience to one where they start leeching when it becomes time-efficient to do so (around WS, maybe a little earlier for CDs).

And of course, the system should provide other benefits beyond making more of the early game playable for people wanting to have high HP in endgame.

Thanks for your input. To address your points as I understand them:

1. All players are less likely to level without leeching if they have high base int. Grinding at say, level 40 without any base primary stat doesn’t make sense, its far slower than buying leech or self-leeching. And yes, this may be more difficult for newer players that have a limited budget, which would then make them less likely to make a character that can achieve high HP and would contribute to them needing to remake their characters.

2. I can assure you I don’t hate NL’s. Like many people, they are one of my favorite classes and the most nostalgic to me. I used them as an example, but I was not suggesting only NL’s should have to pay to increase their HP cap. The 1B number was simply to illustrate the concept, and I think classes of similar washing difficulty should pay similar amounts. Of course, only if this portion were added, because it is not necessary for the system.

3. As for players with base int already, I don’t know the best solution. Perhaps the implementation of this system would necessitate a server wide full AP reset for all characters.​

Thank’s for your comments everyone! I hope my answers were helpful because I know I haven’t covered all the edge cases here.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  7. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I see, thanks for simplifying that for me and I know it was an example for NL and its price, since its a popular class.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    Your proposed system of class balanced HP/MP Tokens vs AP Resets is a very good idea!
    • especially with equivalent Vote Cash Ratio based on each class' wash formulas!

It'd be nice to omit the need of becoming an INT Lord, and retain the time it takes to get to an HP/MP goal via Vote Cash Ratio per class.

9. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    12:38 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Someone suggested similar idead before - buying HP tokens using NX.
    The main differences between token and AP reset is the soft-limit. Tokens allows all NLs to eventually hit 30k HP, but AP reset will heavily deter NLs from doing so. Hence I would rather keep the current AP reset system than to use any no-limit token solutions.

If tokens have limits, that would be a differenr story

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    12:38 AM
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    I would figure, the goal is to be able to survive the reasonable experiences of bosses. IE not having to dodge more than you attack, or intentionally tank damage to avoid damage, the entire duration of fights. I don't know PB's mechanics, but NLs don't need that much hp to function right?

Where I'm going with this is, what's the difference between survivable HP and 30k hp. In a lot of bosses it may give you an extra hit, but in the points that matter, it doesn't even net you a second hit. So it's just a way for dudes to flex their wastes of NX? No offense 30k rangers, good for you for completing a difficult task, but we acknowledge it doesn't benefit the game experience right?

11. Yook

Yook Red Snail

Jan 18, 2020
    Hermit
    There are many players who currently have characters with a lot of AP in HP or MP for various reasons. If you make it such that you can't add or remove from HP and MP or you lose stats, won't that ruin their characters?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. kickserve

kickserve Brown Teddy

Jan 24, 2019
    I think a lot of the push back against resolving hp washing is the argument that “it’s not fair for veterans”. There seem to be a never ending cycle of: I suffered through intlord so you should too -> you suffer through intlord-> you tell the next person to suffer through it -> repeat.

13. kickserve

kickserve Brown Teddy

Jan 24, 2019
    Couldn’t a one time sp reset coupon solve this?

14. Myrosb

Myrosb Brown Teddy

Jun 17, 2020
    Male
    Texas
    11:38 PM
    Spearmintx, Quit
    Dark Knight
    I have to agree that for my own experience its not the time that is required that deters me from washing every character, its that the large INT requirement makes playing the character a negative experience. Has that stopped me from playing the way I want? Nope :D I still have fun, but I think I agree that adding a HP or MP token would solve that issue.

The only reason I have purchased AP reset is to wash for more HP. If I gain the same amount of HP, and limited by the same constraints as I am with voting for my AP resets, and all this does is cut out the extreme benefit/necessity of having (dramatized number) 300 base int, then im on board.

I feel like any system that is implemented into ML to address the problems associated with HP washing is going to be smoother by being a 2 parter. First addressing pre-existing characters and second addressing new characters.

I definitely can see this in the current community, and whether its the popular opinion or not, I believe the cycle needs to end someway or another :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    HP and MP tokens would be nice to use Vote Cash on.

To start implementing a new system of getting more HP and MP, maybe:
    1. refund Vote Cash for old players
    2. allow reallocation of INT for current washing players + Vote Cash refunds
    3. Start HP and MP token sales
    Maybe there are easier ways to fix the washing/leeching issues without a complete server reset?

16. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    1:38 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    implement the hp/mp gain from 3rd and 4th job advance is a low change that make some difference, its a Begin...

17. iccqqq

iccqqq Dark Stone Golem

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    7:38 AM
    Hero
    tbh ranged classes hp cap should be locked at 15k without hb

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    1:38 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
  19. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    Pretty much, when I first started I had similar feelings on hp washing as the topic creator but as time goes on you realize you would basically need a server wipe in order to enact new hp washing rules or standards and that is just not possible in the immediate future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The pushback against HP washing from the older community isn't that about fairness. It's entirely about the health of the server, and prolonging washing is a necessary evil for this game. If there were a suggestion that allowed players to gain HP that was equally as time-consuming and as difficult as current HP washing methods - but more enjoyable - I think most players would agree to those types of changes. Most HP washing suggestion threads ask to skip a few steps along the way that would leave this server riddled with ranged attackers only (which is already happening).

• Agree Agree x 4