1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Marksmen should be buffed further

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AioriaX, May 23, 2020.

1. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    9:29 PM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    I know, before you proceed on reading, marksman has already been buffed with the extra Strafe line.
    But with the DPM table according to the latest patch notes, Marksmen still has one of the lowest single target DPM in the game.

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 10.35.28 AM.png

As compared to the warrior cleaving class, a single-target DPM class will not be able to farm efficiently, nor grind as efficiently as warriors and shadowers who can easily cleave 3-4 mobs at maximum damage. (I say at maximum damage because some people may mention arrow eruption as a cleaving skill - but how efficient is the dpm when compared to brandish or boomerang step which is clearly 100% damage versus a strafe?)

I propose a further buff:
    1. Max marksman booster speed to equalize SI
    - reasons for this? bowmasters are at max speed with hurricane and they do not require speed infusion to maximize their damage. Furthermore according to the table above, even WITH SI, marksmen are still one of the lowest dpm-class as compared to others.
    - the suggestion was not to intend for strafe arrow rate to be equal to hurricane arrow/second, but just to eliminate need for SI
    - furthermore, giving marksmen an SI-speed attack will NOT further their DPM with SI, (will retain DPM as the table above) but will serve them a better quality of life in bossing runs as a single-target DPM attacker/bossing class since mules are no longer available in large bossing runs like horntail.
    - a large number of marksmen actually have SI mules to maximize strafe speed but with the recent changes, that's gonna be an obstacle
    - and without SI, marksmen are just gonna be less favoured in future boss runs

2. Snipe should work on weapon cancel
    - the very definition of snipe: the action of shooting at long range especially accurately
    - description of snipe in the game: Delivers a lethal blow to a monster by aiming for its weak spot
    - its warranted for snipe being an OP-damage single-blow skill to hit on weapon cancel like Heaven's hammer. Heaven's hammer hits multi-targets in a single map with 200k damage per hammer, while snipe is only a single target.
    - making snipe attack through weapon cancel will NOT make them overpowered, but increases marskmen utility during the 30-40second weapon cancel duration (duration differs according to different bosses)
    - Will it increase their overall DPM and make them op? - No. Because the table above shows single-target DPM calculated with SE, SI and Gelt on a mob without weapon cancel. Plus, snipe only works every 5 seconds. During a 30 second weapon cancel that just means 5 snipes.
    - Hence sniping through weapon cancel will not increase overall DPM during non-weapon cancel durations. It just increases their utility DURING weapon cancel.

I am not a marksman, nor plan to create one, but I think alot of the balance changes are being too focused on single-target DPM when different classes were initially intended for different reasons. However, compared to warriors who can cleave multiple mobs and have an advantage in farming and grinding compared to us single target DPM classes like NL, corsairs and bowmen, marksmen clearly fall through to the bottom of the pit when they can't cleave and grind and rely alot on bossing to level up and farm as well.

If a warrior who can cleave (and have better advantage in the game with grinding and farming) still do better dpm single target ccompared to a class solely made for single-target damage (and cant farm NOR grind), its no wonder why no one wants to play the Marksmen class.

• Agree Agree x 19
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    6:29 AM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Or you can just hire me for SI lol

3. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I don't believe that Marksmen should be compared to other classes under the influence of gelt chocolates. Because a decent portion of their DPM is locked to fixed damage, they tend to gain less overall from attack pots compared to other classes, making the chart a bit misleading(Especially since the use of gelts isn't really considered normal, everyday play), and they would rise a couple ranks without the use of such big attack buffs.

Snipe on cancels would be nice though, but making SI redundant would probably only hinder Buccaneers further. A Blind buff to work on bosses(To a lesser extent than against regular mobs) would be a great addition though, and it would add to the synergy between pirates and marksmen, the set of classes most underutilized. SI could benefit the Marksmen and Corsair, while blind would benefit Buccs and Sairs to help them get more use out of their moderate avoidability, along with SE for more damage as well. It would make for a decent core in optimizing their underperformance in places like Horntail.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    I deleted my post because I realized that. The fact that less of MM's overall damage relies on weapon attack makes them stronger when neither side is on as strong of attack pots. I bet under normal circumstances (even with perfect gear), MM do more single target damage than paladins and dark knights after the buff.

5. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    2:29 PM
    Revert the changes to strafe, for the love of maple just put it back to what it should be, not this 5 hit abomination.
    Then, increase sniper's strafe dmg to like 120/130%.

Problem solved.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    10:29 AM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric

7. MIGHTYshoni

MIGHTYshoni Slime

Mar 26, 2020
    Male
    Shonii
    Marksman
    Pacifists
    Thanks AioriaX for your post.
    I would like to add on to your 2nd point.
    -Make "Snipe 30" only at max, penetrate weapon cancels on boss-
    This will boost MMs class identity as a utility archer and have more impact in end game boss fights. Doing so, will NOT make the class OP like you've said 100%. At the moment the single target dpm is still amongst the lower bracket lol. Im fine with relying on buccs for SI. We should all rely on one another, so no class will be left out, every class brings value to the party and maple will be more inclusive.

I believe MMs can be distinguished and differentiated further from BMs. Not just "BMs dmg > MMs dmg in end game"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    4:29 PM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    Maybe give MMs a chance to hit through weapon cancel, lets say 50%, won't be overpowered...

9. OP
    OP
    AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    I probably agree with the argument on SI. It's true that if we are to encourage party-play, and encourage more buccaneers in the server, this shant be added. It's possible, given that most HT runs have warriors which can further utilize SI along with Marksmen in the party (further increasing favourability to include one bucc) but in reality this is still an obstacle though, considering how unpopular buccs still are, and in-turn probably hurts Marksmen more. However I still feel that if we make Snipe ignore weapon cancels if would be an improvement to Marksmen - one that is not too large to make them overpowered, but one that increases their favourability in any run/bosses.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. pskee321

pskee321 Red Snail

May 17, 2020
    Male
    Totally agree. What we love about this private server is that its like the good old maple story, while with little tweaks of enhancements to make the game a little better while not altering the basic essence of the game. By doing with this 5 hit Strafe thing just alter the game's basics.

Anyway, not all characters in the game are created equal. That's what makes playing different classes fun (with sacrifices and gains at their individual areas). So why should we compare different job classes base on a single metric, such as DPM on single target etc.?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. GGoals

GGoals Mano

May 23, 2020
    Male
    3:29 PM
    Goals
    Bowmaster
    Winterfell
    This chart is highly misleading, this assumes (for the bowmaster) a perf nt bow, 20 att cape (1 or none in game?), 21 att glove, 10 att mon, 21 att sock (hahaha) and gelt for a total of 335 weapon attack.
    an actual lv 200 bowmaster has around 220 attack if you assume 10 att mon, perf dragon shiner bow, 15 att cape, 21 att glove and 10 att from 4th job bow mastery skill, and 26 att from concentrate skill.
    with this attack a marksman with si actually outdamages a bowmaster.
    SO A BOWMASTER WITH A PERF BOW AND GOOD GEAR gets outdamaged now by a marksman and you people want to buff it even further?
    A bowmaster literally has to apple at least once each boss to even compare to a marksman now, marksman have become the best late game archer (assuming they have si) now.
    only when using an apple or gelt can a bowmaster outdamage a marksman on si now (the treshhold is 265 attack).
    Marksman needs a slight nerf now not a buff, they needed a slight buff originally but this was too much.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    7:29 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I agree with the type of MM/BM balance that the staff was going for (that is endgame MMs being slightly stronger without apples), but this is NOT what actually happened post buffs. The calculations done in nise's original thread had some errors, which caused some people to be mislead about the actual state of the MM/BM balance. I talk about it in more detail here (https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/bowmaster-vs-marksman-under-the-new-changes.30717/). Long story short, BM are still strong than SI-MM on bears in the endgame, and I think further MM buffs can be justified even at this stage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    I've seen Skarmory's chart which actually shows that end-game bowmasters actually still do higher DPM than marksmen.
    This actually contradicts your statement but nevertheless, the reality of the game is so different from any theoretical speech that this boost in damage actually favours the increment of Marksmen population to the point that they may overtake Bowmasters. (not saying that you mentioned this but if the goal was to balance/increase Marksmen popularity, its doubtful that Marksmen out-DPM-ing Bowmasters will cause its population rise above Bowmasters)

It's no recent news that Marksman is the less popular class of the two for the fact that Hurricane is such an attractive skill in the addition into the 4th job for bowmasters (and in our server one can actually AFK-ALT-TAB screen and their BM will auto-attack with zero bot-lock compared to other classes where you start throwing air after a certain duration). Even if Marksmen did more damage at the end of the day, they would still have to rely on SI - something bowmasters can do without and independently dishing out their max DPM.

I don't think a bowmaster literally has to apple or gelt to compare to a pot-less marksman (but I admit I have not done any calculation to this), but think any attacker would take using an attack potion any day compared to needing SI when the recent update prevents you from even muling in bosses. Everyone knows how unpopular buccaneers are, it's sad and unfortunate that they have not received further buffs to increase their popularity. However end-game is where most people strive to achieve and if the end-game boss is Horntail, I would assume most people would want to have their DPM maxed out in Horntail.

Now that SI mules are no longer available during Horntail, it's is unfortunately infrequent for 6-man runs to include a Buccaneer in the team to provide SI. It is also a well-known fact that most late-to-end-game Marksmen who made it up to above level 170 have their own SI mules just to increase their DPM in maxing out attack speed.

The goal is not to make Marksmen overpower Bowmasters, but to increase their popularity to balance out the population between classes. Although its farfetched to say that it will actually even out, any increment in Marksmen population post-buffs is already a win. Early game advantage is honestly short-lived with the fact that most people leech or grind their way out to 170 in no-time. At the end of the day Bowmasters still out-DPM Marksmen and if every class is to have their own advantage, who in their right mind would actually play a Marksman when they lose out in DPM, have no attractive post-4th job skill except Snipe which you can only click every 5 seconds compared to AFK-24/7-Hurricane, and both have Sharp Eyes?

Furthermore, the buff suggested was just so Snipe ignores cancels (only 6-8 snipes during a 30-40 second standstill where everyone else cannot attack), and to buff booster speed to match SI (which I agree may not be favourable to Buccaneers if we are to encourage party-play in this server).

If anything, even if Marksmen did out-DPM Bowmasters, I think it is ACTUALLY ACCEPTABLE given the lesser in attractiveness of Marksmen skills, and comfort/quality-of-life versus Bowmasters. So I don't really understand your argument to actually nerf Marksmen now because they are theoretically out-DPM-ing bowmasters in your calculation.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Xydan

Xydan Chronos

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    9:29 AM
    Xydan
    The real buff to MM would be to remove the melee restriction on piercing arrow, make it fireable in the air so it doesn't whiff when you get knocked up, and remove the annoying charge-up mechanic and replace it with an equivalent length animation. And get rid of the pointless "piercing" part of the skill and just give it a flat damage buff; making the attack stronger as it passes through more mobs sounds cool, but it's not utilized if you kill whatever is at the back too early.

This way MM can take up the role of ranged cleaver, which no ranged class does at the moment besides mages.

The problem is that MM don't really do anything else better than a BM. Piercing Arrow isn't great, so they can't use it as a bossing skill. And grinding on a MM is only marginally better than on a BM.

15. Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    I agree that MM could be buffed further, but we should be cautious with the mindset of needing to equalize the population of BM and MMs. The best example for this is paladins. There are way more heros and dks compared to paladins, this is true at both the mid and high levels, yet most high level players would agree that paladin is the strongest out of the warriors overall and no sane player would suggest buffing paladin at this point. Sometimes population imbalance can be do to reasons other than objective class balancing (although I don't think thats the case here, MM just sux)

16. Xydan

Xydan Chronos

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    Xydan
    I think it's because they're boring. Paladins have arguably the worse mobbing skill of warriors. AC is just ugly to look at, and is essentially a glorified slash blast. Nothing can salvage that, unless they make pallys busted strong.

17. Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    I mean, this is precisely the case LOL. I certainly agree that the stuff you mentioned had an impact on the lack of pallys as well, but I think a large reason why they weren't played very much in the earlier days was that people simply didn't understand how strong paladin was. Once people started doing dpm calculations and noticing that Heavens Hammer was absurdly busted for training/bossing, people started started to make more pallys.

18. GGoals

GGoals Mano

May 23, 2020
    Male
    Goals
    Bowmaster
    Winterfell
    I know and thanked selquin for her calculations since they showed me the problem was not as great as nise his graphes made them look to be.
    She made the graph you refer to, in response to my thread and I used nise his calculations to back up my statements so my original reaction was to a non-existing situation that the wrong graph mislead me to believe.
    I actually totally agree with nise his decision to buff Marksman to the point where they are now (if selquin her calculations are correct) and I think this buff was done marvelously.
    I don't agree however with ur view that because there are less Marksman in the population its healthy for the game to buff MarksmanĀ“s late game potential to a point where Bowmasters can't reach.
    A bowmaster starts out with a gap in their damage compared to a Marksman and a bowmaster has to spent a lot of meso to close this gap (it used to be a too small amount of meso in the old patch, its healthy that they fixed this). I believe the gap is in a healthy spot right now its big, and needs truly hard work to overcome but it is doable, I opposed the thought that the gap should be so wide that it is impossible to overcome. Sure it will make the population more equal but it won't make the equation of reasons to pick bowmaster vs picking marksman equal.

19. GGoals

GGoals Mano

May 23, 2020
    Male
    Goals
    Bowmaster
    Winterfell
    I also disagree with this statement, im level 168 now and I have been playing for quite a while now (around 1 year i think? im not completely sure) and I leeched my way up to level 135. The gap right now is at around level 160 without si and at near perfect gear with si. Lets take the perspective of a casual player vs the perspective of a hard core player.
    The casual player (often used as insult but not here i swear) gets up to lv 180 at max or so? over a time span of 2-3 years (this is just my definition of a casual player it will most certenly differ for other people). Why would they pick bowmaster under this new patch? Well because after 3 years of training and saving meso they finally almost reach the potential their class has and gets close to the damage of a marksman. This seems pretty healthy to me. If they keep playing they might even outdamage the marksman soon, however had they picked marksman they would have been stronger for years already and this casual player has still reaped 0 reward from his choice of bowmaster (exept some afking with hurricane which I also see is a plus for bm but i can't see a reasonable way to fix this/you cant do it in ht at least).
    Had they picked marksman they would have done way more damage over this timespan and so there is a good reason for this player to pick marksman over bowmaster.

The harcore player however looks it more in the view of lv 1-170 is a joke ill just leech/ grind that out in no time. From that perspective I can understand wanting to buff marksman even more than has happened, but how much of the population sees it like this? I certainly do not, I think having to work hard to finally get to higher ground than the marksman is good reason to pick bowmaster, take this away and I would have certainly picked marksman (if i was logical, i'm not sure I love bm a lot) or even better just played night lord lol.
    From the perspective of a high level player marksman might still be too weak but accouring to selquin her calculations their dps is quite close now even at high level and at perfect gear, so I still believe Marksman and Bowmasters are at a healthy spot right now and offer something to different types of players.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Funnily enough, even back during the 3rd job period when 4th job to us was still just a bunch of names and snipers were actually generally superior to rangers, (on GMS at least) there were still far more rangers than snipers. Even if Marksman are buffed further, I don't think it will come anywhere close to overtaking Bowmaster in terms of popularity.

• Agree Agree x 1