1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Maple Legends on a Linux Box, The Guide.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Latte, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Latte

Latte Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    11:42 PM
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    Hello again, I to you a guide of how to get MapleLegends to run on a Linux box. I've seen several people ask if this was possible so I figured I post a guide on it.

A warning before we get to the guide, do not expect maple to run as well as it does on windows. Though it works pretty dam well if I do say so myself. This isn't fully my guide, this is based off of someone else guide on rival server, that's also based off of another persons guide on the Ubuntu forums. I'm only posting this to help others.

I'm currently using elementalOS Freya (https://elementary.io/) which is a Ubuntu 14.04 based distribution so edit the commands for which ever distribution you're using.

We're going to accomplish this task through a program called Wine. A quick summery of what wine is;

"Wine (recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a free and open source compatibility layer software application that aims to allow applications designed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems"
    - Wine (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)Wikipedia
    Installing Wine: Everything will be done in terminal.

Step 1:
    First lets add Wine's PPA, then updating APT package information. Open your terminal and use the following two commands:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    then
    sudo apt-get update
    Step 2:
    Now lets actually install Wine and you will also need Winetricks, do so by using the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine winetricks
    Step 3:
    Now we need to install DLL files in order to get Maple to work.
    Once wine and winetricks are done installing, do one of two things.

1) If you run 64-bit linux:
    Code:
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
    2) if you run 32-bit linux just run:
    Code:
    winecfg
    Now once that is done creating your wine prefix run:
    Code:
    winetricks
    Inside winetricks select these: Select the default wine prefix->Install a Windows DLL or component. Now in this list check these:

It isn't know which of these is really needed and which is not so I selected them all.

• d3dx11_42
    • d3dx11_43
    • d3dx9_26
    • d3dx9_28
    • d3dx9_31
    • d3dx9_35
    • d3dx9_39
    • d3dx9_42
    • d3dx9_43
    • dotnet20
    • mono210
    (Dotnet20: Previous guides have noted this as one to select, though I didn't see this one in the list of things to select so I didn't and it worked fine. If you see this one select it, otherwise don't worry about it.)

This all should take a little bit but not too long.

Step 4:
    Fill in DLL's, there are 2 DLL's you need that aren't on the list so here are links to them. (credit to the up-loader):

Copy both of these to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ or /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/

You may have to download *wzmss.dll* as well.

Step 5:
    Back to winecfg. Now that we are done with that, go back to winecfg with this

Code:
    winecfg
    and change the "Windows Version" to 98, click apply and then ok.

Step 6:
    Point your terminal to your Maplestory directory. You don't have to have MapleLegends installed but you do need to have a folder containing all the MapleLegends files (LF> Download link so a folder version of ML instead of the installer @Kimberly@Kimberly ).

Code:
     cd /your/Maplestory/directory/here
    After that you should be able to click on the MapleLegends Icon inside of MLs folder and it should run just fine! There are alternative programs that I will update this guide with in the future. Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. OP
    OP
    Latte

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    To-do list:
    Make thread look nicer

Post other alternatives

edit:
    here ya go @MrBronkz@MrBronkz

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lemontea

lemontea Master Chronos

Jul 14, 2015
    Male
    8:42 PM
    lemontea
    Bishop
    Halcyon
    Latte do you want me to proofread this i see a lot of typos and grammatical errors

4. NSFW

NSFW Skelegon

Dec 11, 2014
    NSFW
    WINE stood for WINdows Emulator first Kappa

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Latte

Mar 29, 2015
    USA
    Latte
    Bishop
    Horizon
    If you'd like it was late when I posted this and planned to go over it today and fix everything :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    4:42 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    I agree Kappa

7. lemontea

lemontea Master Chronos

Jul 14, 2015
    Male
    lemontea
    Bishop
    Halcyon
    Do you have it in a word document somewhere how would I go about doing this

8. MrBronkz

MrBronkz Master Chronos

Jun 20, 2015
    Male
    Poland
    5:42 AM
    MrBronkz/MarcoV/Zatox
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nickyhvm

nickyhvm Orange Mushroom

Nov 6, 2015
    Male
    3:42 AM
    ILNicky
    I/L Wizard
    -
    Thank you for this guide, but I'd like to improve on it.
    First of all, there was no mono210 for me so I did not install it and maple still runs perfect.
    Second. It is required to download more fonts, run winetricks -> default -> install font -> allfonts. I didn't do this first and maple just came up in weird symbols.
    Third if you want to run maplestory in window mode, use this command:
    wine explorer /desktop=MapleLegends,1024x768 MapleLegends.exe
    ofcourse you need to navigate to your maple folder in the terminal.

Running this all on Arch linux with plasma as DE and it runs very smoothly!
    and for anyone wondering how to install wine on arch linux, just run yaourt wine
    and select the numbers for wine and winetricks, that's it. If you don't have yaourt, run sudo pacman -S yaourt

And also if you have downloaded the windows installer, you can just keep wine on windows xp, run the setup using wine and change to windows 98 after that to run the game! That's what I did :p if you change to windows 98 first, you're going to get an error that the version of windows is to old to run the installer

EDIT:
    I installed it yet on another PC running Arch linux, and this time winetricks wouldn't open, to fix this I had to manually install "zenity"
    so for arch users: sudo pacman -S zenity
    for ubuntu users: sudo apt-get install zenity
    note: this is only when executing "winetricks" does not give a graphical interface.

On both my systems sound did not work because my pc's are 64 bit, to solve this I had to install these additional packages:
    lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-libpulse lib32-openal
    agin for arch users: sudo pacman -S lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-libpulse lib32-openal
    for ubuntu users: sudo apt-get install lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-libpulse lib32-openal

Then on my second system, I did not install all the directX's you stated.
    I left out these ones and maple still works flawless, so if you could remove those?
    • d3dx9_26
    • d3dx9_28
    • d3dx9_31
    • d3dx9_35

Also, if anyone want's to play maplestory windowed without entering the command every time again which I stated above, just put the command above in a .sh file (ex: maplestory.sh) and do a chmod +x maplestory.sh on it, now you can click the file and it will run maplestory in windowed mode

usually the path is also going to be ~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegends/MapleLegends.exe

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    • Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. OldBoy

OldBoy Red Snail

Nov 18, 2015
    Male
    F/P Wizard
    Hogwarts
    Hey folks. I was wondering if you guys have gotten this to work on a VM? I tried the above methods on Virtualbox, but I got stuck. Maplelegends.exe executes, but Maple doesn't come up. I can see the process running in the System Viewer. No error or anything, just no app appearing.

11. nickyhvm

nickyhvm Orange Mushroom

Nov 6, 2015
    Male
    3:42 AM
    ILNicky
    I/L Wizard
    -
    Yes I got another server that had a newer version to work on vmware player. Worked flawlessy, only had to change a registery key so that maple did not detect that it was a VM, but why would you want to run this in a VM if you can run this native on windows, linux and mac?

12. OldBoy

OldBoy Red Snail

Nov 18, 2015
    Male
    F/P Wizard
    Hogwarts
    My intent was to multiclient, in order to Mule items to a new character w/o drop trading. I know multiclient to level is frowned upon. Is it frowned upon to transfer items? I am thinking the problem I am running into is related to Virtualbox, but I am unsure. I'll have to try VMware.

13. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    5:42 AM
    Many people here use VMware or other Virtual Machine software to multiclient. But ye, don't use VirtualBox.

14. blitz104

blitz104 Snail

Dec 20, 2015
    Beginner
    Thanks for writing this guide! I'm running Arch; at first I had a problem where the game wouldn't start. I ran winecfg, went to Graphics, and checked the "emulate a virtual desktop box", and that fixed it. Just posting in case someone else has the same problem.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Screenshot_2017-02-14_18-03-02.png Mint 18.1 XFCE
    Almost decade-old laptop running perfectly :D

• Like Like x 2
  16. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    4:42 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    shit guide try harder LatteLatte

• Like Like x 2
  17. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Got Legends up and running perfectly but no continuous attack. (Only attacks once when holding atk button or skill) Any ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  18. notaki

notaki Mushmom

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Dominican Republic
    Johel
    Hermit
    MidnightMidnight Any luck? I don't remember what I did in the past, so I'm struggling to get this working again.
    Edit:
    MidnightMidnight I got something working.
    $ xmodmap -e "remove control = Control_L" # Removing the control ability from the left Ctrl key makes it repeat.
    $ xmodmap -e "keycode 62 = Shift_L" # Swap the left shift with the right shift
    $ xmodmap -e "keycode 50 = Shift_R" # because removing the left's shift ability doesn't make it repeat.
    $ xmodmap -e "remove shift = Shift_R" # Remove the shift ability from the new left Shift key makes it repeat.​
    Doing the above will make your left control and left shift keys useless with combinations. You'll have to use the right ones.
    I don't remember needing repeated jumping, so this will do for now.
    I believe I actually played without problems on Linux Mint (by dual booting, as I am using Arch Linux). I wonder if the GMs have this handy information.
    Edit: I quickly noticed that I need repeated jumping.
    $ xmodmap -e "keycode 64 = grave" # Swap left alt with `. Reflect this change in your MS controls.
    $ xmodmap -e "remove mod1 = grave" # Removing the alt ability from the new left Alt key makes it repeat.​
    Edit: The following allows you to bind the in-game Alt key action to `. It complements the previous two commands.
    $xmodmap -e "keycode 49 = Alt_L"
    $xmodmap -e "add mod1 = Alt_L"​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Thugles

Thugles Snail

Apr 23, 2017
    Male
    12:42 AM
    So, I tried to install on Ubuntu and there was no "mono210" option for me. I managed to install the MapleLegends folder but I cannot open the game. Could someone help please? x:

Edit: I did it! Really thought I was running in 32bit prefix but it was set to 64bit instead.

I'm having a problem, though. When I open the game, my entire computer's resolution goes super zoomed and I can't even log out. I fixed this by commanding Wine to open in a 1920x1080 window, and now I an play - but the game opens in low resolution, like in windowed mode. When I press Alt + Enter, the Wine window goes fullscreen, but MapleStory doesn't.

Could someone help me here?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  20. cakemakes

cakemakes Slime

Sep 1, 2015
    Male
    10:42 PM
    CakeMakes
    Assassin
    Imagine
    Is there a way to multiclient using wine?