1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Petition: Alternate Weapon/Magic Cancels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Tango

Tango Horny Mushroom

Feb 27, 2018
    Male
    4:02 AM
    Chronicles
    Paladin
    After enduring some extensive boss runs, I've noticed a trend, one that makes players, like myself, agitated as F#$&. This would be the weapon/magic cancels on big bosses such as like Zakum, Horntail, and Scarlion/Targa. The problem with this is the fact that these bosses can use weapon cancel, AND ONLY WEAPON CANCEL. I've been in runs where bosses, especially in Scarlion and Targa, where they would use Cancel Weapon 20 times over before they finally use ONE magic cancel, and then repeat the cycle.

In the old GMS Maple, cancel magic and cancel weapon ALTERNATED, meaning after a boss uses weapon cancel, it definitely uses magic cancel, and it repeats. This message is to see if we can get the GMs' & Developers' input on why this is the case. Any questions/further discussion is welcomed. :D

Also, if you're wanting to have the GMs to make a change on this, give this a "Bump of Approval!" I'd like to see them make this change, but it is up to them.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    6:02 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    I'd like to know what's the % chance of them happening too, 50%? Some scar runs will have 20+ wep cancels in a row,
    Zakum has less, usually less than 10, but why?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kanashimi

Kanashimi Brown Teddy

Nov 5, 2017
    Male
    1:02 PM
    Kanashimi
    Night Lord
    Essence
    The weapon cancels on scar/targa are really insane, u can get 10 in a row from the min u start the boss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    6:02 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    The way it works is based on skill cooldowns. I think the way to fix it would be if the boss is weapon cancelled it can’t use magic cancel until weapon cancel is over. That way you won’t have magic cancel on cooldown while it never went into effect.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Awrien

Awrien Horny Mushroom

Nov 21, 2019
    Toronto
    Awrien/BoatyMcBoat
    Shadower, Corsair
    Syndicate
    That feel when my smokescreen is off cooldown, and I call "smoke next mcancel" and proceed to wait like 8 mins. Honestly though, even like a cap of 3 in a row or something would be nice. Still provides some variance, while allowing us to plan around it in a meaningful way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    3:02 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I'd like to point out that although this is very annoying, it does balance out in the long run. You end up having as many long streaks of magic cancels as long streaks of weapon cancels.

It can be very tilting at times, however. I think that instead of alternating cancels, weapon / magic cancel should share the same cooldown, so that its actually random as to which one pops up.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Awrien

Awrien Horny Mushroom

Nov 21, 2019
    Toronto
    Awrien/BoatyMcBoat
    Shadower, Corsair
    Syndicate
    Sure it evens out, but that only applies if you have lots of time to begin with. If the goal is to make bossing a little friendlier for lower levels, an unlucky streak can devastate their runs when they are on a tighter window. More consistent runs also means easier time scheduling lots of different people with different needs. I don't necessarily think strictly alternating is the best solution though. Like I said, even having a hard cap could help remedy the extreme cases

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Tango

Tango Horny Mushroom

Feb 27, 2018
    Male
    Chronicles
    Paladin
    The problem about that though is the streaks themselves. Long streaks of weapon cancel makes it unfair to most players, and they'd have to bring in mage DPSers just for the sake of the situation (not that there's anything wrong with it, but I haven't seen any bossing mages in awhile, and the fact that nobody even considers bringing them along in runs). On the flip side, long streaks of magic cancel can make it broken and, quite frankly, too easy for us to boss.

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    6:02 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    This is the most vindictive "agree" I've ever clicked on a post in this forum.

I agree that it evens out, but most importantly of all the cancel watt streaks are just extremely feelsbad and anti-fun, makes you want to strangle whichever developer coded it this way. I definitely hope this can be fixed so that if Scar/Targa uses magic cancel WHILE on weapon cancel, the former does not go on cd, reducing the likelihood of such streaks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    7:02 AM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
  11. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:02 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Don't you just love Neckson? :3

Upon release it was 30 second cancel duration. And then another 30-35 seconds until the next cancel... and I think it was similar chances each to do weapon or magic. You can see it doing weapon cancels multiple times in a row from this clips :( I can try looking for GMS since this is MSea

12. OP
    OP
    Tango

Tango Horny Mushroom

Feb 27, 2018
    Male
    Chronicles
    Paladin
    Way ahead of ya. The 2nd one illustrates it more efficiently even though its BB.

13. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    3:47 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Interesting that MSEA had no timer for scarlion :O

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. boost3rr

boost3rr Slime

Dec 2, 2019
    zzz
    Thief
    onxy sushi drop from gpq.. user hits thru wep cancel for 10mins ez

15. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    12:02 PM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Duno why but your comment reminded me of the I will prank my father when he comes back home meme.
    meme.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:02 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Interesting, so in exchange of doing alternating cancels, they just completely got rid of the cooldown between cancels. So it pretty much instantly does Weapon > Magic > Weapon > Magic (with no breaks) hmm... I guess that would make runs more consistent and less RNG, cus you'd just accurately expect half your damage to be useless.

Possible issue would be with horntail, and how it would work for the heads xD Triple weapon cancel is annoying enough when it happens once, depending on how its done, it could be triple weapon cancel the whole run LOL (whenever its on weaopn cancel)

• Like Like x 1
  17. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I'm against alternating cancels with no break in between. That would make the mechanic worse than it currently is. Currently, we expect to deal ~67% of our DPS against a major boss that uses weapon / magic cancel.

(for example, horntail prehead spends 40 seconds in cancel, and 20 seconds out of cancel every minute. 20 of those 40 seconds are on average a cancel that screws your class, so you basically attack for 40 out of every 60 seconds).

Without any wait time, it would basically make it so we only get to attack HALF of the time, and only deal 50% of our dps.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Tango

Tango Horny Mushroom

Feb 27, 2018
    Male
    Chronicles
    Paladin
    Right, and I understand your point on that. One thing I do want to bring up though first is this thread is to mainly discuss the topic and not figure out how to fix the problem. Although this thread is a "Petition" to make a change for this, it's more along the lines of addressing the issue and getting some input from GMs/Developers on why this has been an issue for some of us, and if the majority of the people want they change, they can jump in on this discussion and share their thoughts/opinions. Ultimately, that's up to the game developers if they want to make that choice.
    Also, if there are any changes that should be implemented, this is a good point to bring up cause nobody wants to have a negative experience, especially at a HT run. Keep in mind though it's not just HT we're talking about, it's all monsters in general that have cancel buffs. They'll make accommodations if they do make any changes for it, too. (Most-likely if they were to change something, those changes may be discussed in a different thread.)

19. Porkupine

Porkupine Timer

Mar 21, 2019
    Male
    xB0wM4sT3rx
    Bowmaster
    Nani
    I hard-agree that weapon cancel streaks are anti-fun. There's no way to play around it. Any given run is completely dictated by the number of weapon cancels you're unfortunate enough to get. I think the main problem stems from the fact that all of our traditional DPS is weapon attack. Magic damage only comes from Mages that have abysmal single target DPS capabilities. A more meaningful way to play around the streaks is if (in an alternate universe) bossing parties were formed to include a healthy mix of weapon and magic attackers, so that a long streak of weapon cancels wouldn't cause the run to take twice the amount of time it normally takes.

I haven't Horntailed yet, but I've heard Mages can do OK cleave(?) damage. Bosses like Zakum body and Scarlion would need single target magic DPS attackers though, which we don't have. I've met some people new to Legends starting out as an Magician and looking to boss in the future, only to eventually be discouraged by how mediocre it is. Feels extra bad if they didn't realize it until 4th job too. Yes, Bishops can boss, but not everyone wants to be a Holy Shield/Symbol mule. Some people want to deal respectable bossing magic damage.

While I hate the the streak-y nature of cancels and wish weapon cancels didn't exist, I feel it's there to promote damage type diversity in parties (something we don't have in ML). Changing it would be just be suiting to our All-Weapon-Attack parties. IMO, it's change the boss cancel system or give Mages some more bossing capability.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    Let hero’s armor crash be able to cancel it to let us play around it?

• Funny Funny x 1