1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of MapleLegends Economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akhenaton, May 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    9:14 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    hoo boy

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    Akhenaton

Akhenaton King Slime

May 5, 2021
    Male
    12:14 PM
    Bowmaster, Bishop
    I can't because that apparently qualifies as harassment

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You don't have to boycot Ryanlights you just have to boycott 1-22.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Hey friends,

Please be civilized in your discussions regarding the economy and refrain from personal attacks. We have had to remove a few comments in this thread. I don't think thread locking is necessary yet, but the staff team is responding to reports and will lock it if necessary.

Regarding "burner accounts" accusations, the moderators have taken a preliminary look and have not found evidence of multiple accounts. It is possible that these players have been playing for a while and only just opened a forum account, personally I know many players in the game who do not have a forum account and are just lurkers.

As a reminder, you are only allowed to have 1 forum account per user. If you find evidence of the contrary, please let us know.

Also, I encourage people to try to use our forum's lovely multi-quote function when responding to multiple sentences or threads, like so:

- Use the "Quote" function instead of "Reply" to reply to an entire post
    [​IMG]

- If you want to reply to a certain sentence instead of the whole post, highlight the section you want to quote and press "Quote" to add it instead
    [​IMG]

- When drafting your reply to the thread, use "Insert Quotes" to respond to multiple people at once using the quotes you have collected:
    [​IMG]

Thank you all kindly :)

• Great Work Great Work x 15
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    6:14 PM
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    I think its important too, but having AH in ML isn't Old school like and I can imagine it will require a lot of development, which will just take 2-4 years on this server.
    Tax systems: Doesn't work because everyone trades in p-coins or pouches or through banks.
    Rationing items: Would be strange the elite would simply just have to wait multiple days and use multiple accounts to get behind this.
    Reportsystem: No comment
    Fair economy team: Maplelegend-staff imo is not to be trusted with this. An example is the current harassment bans where staff makes-up/bends rules or keep grudges going back years or have rules not written in the official ToS that can still ban you though they had five years to implement it to the official ToS. This just comes off as lazy, shameless, and disrespectful to me and I would hate to see certain staff members sitting with this important task.

• Creative Creative x 2
  6. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Hi Philip,
    Thanks for your feedback. Although I am not entirely sure how our reporting system is related to the overall economy of MapleLegends, I would be more than happy to hear any grievances you might have. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime on Discord, or even here privately. :) My DMs are always open! (it would also be very helpful if you bring concrete examples on how we could improve our processes). Many of our improvements actually come from our user feedback, for example I do think iPippyiPippy might've been the first person to mention pouches after our first beta run of pcoins. Remember they only dropped 1 at a time before? Anyway I am looking forward to your DM on discord!

As for the rest of this thread, I do think a lot of valuable discussion was had, and I think everyone here agrees that solving in game economies is a very difficult task. For example, Eve Online actually has several economists to manage and monitor their online economy as their full time job, and I wouldn't be surprised if old school RuneScape had one either. Maybe it's time to post an official job listing up for a Legends server economist?!

I will not lie, moderating is a very difficult task, and although we aren't perfect, staff team does try their best because they do want what's best for the server. At the end of the day staff really are just regular players who are volunteering to help out - we have full time jobs and lives outside of mushroom game - and we rely on our players understanding, feedback, and support for this servers success, especially since we cannot afford to officially hire any economists in any capacity lol. None of us are paid.

Personally I've found this thread educational in several aspects (as an engineer who got a C in microeconomics class LOL) and I'm hoping we can use this thread as a discussion hub on how we can make this economy better for all our players!

Thank you very much~
    - Christy

• Friendly Friendly x 14
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Lol more policemen staff

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    Then who is? Someone without any accountability? The people at the top who would only benefit?

This is not true, the whole reason of this post is about the FM market where people pay taxes and need mesos in order to participate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The idea is to create systems that don't need to be monitored so closely. If you create policies that don't self-regulate, you're going to paint yourself into a corner and shit will go south fast. Staff taking on more responsibilities when they're already overworked and underpaid is a really bad idea. Not to mention it'd most likely sever any relational ties of staff has as a player (over staff role), thus further disincentivizing new staff from joining or staff remaining as staff for a prolonged period of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    11:14 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    as an example the potion cost increase from here is a regressive tax and began pushing people toward DK farming. People who cheered for the change soon found out they can't afford to run their 6 man zak or 12 man ht as potion cost as a share of income rose. For multimagers and leechers, that effect is way less and many people either shrugged it off or raised prices and moved on as if nothing happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    12:14 AM
    quite sure something happened. ToT is practically empty these days.

12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    sir u are confusing this change and their later changes which killed the ability to scale up.

13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    IMO the pot cost change was warranted regardless of its effect/non-effect on multimaging. We were living in a state that had normalized the frivolousness of pot cost, but they're now something to consider. Mesos are also now more meaningful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I forgot who first brought it up but someone did mention a parallel npc to miki to people below a certain threshold for original price pots. Just make it untradable or make sure there are safeguards to prevent abuse. What they did increased inequality which was contrary to their goals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, especially after having played Osslock. There were growing pains, sure, but the server readjusted quickly and the economy has shifted likewise. Coin prices going up helped lower level bossers earn and progress through their easily digestible content like rav/pap/JC, while inactive play styles like facetanking is now less encouraged due to pot burn.

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    That had more to do with the 5 cast limit than the pot changes. The pot changes were more or less irrelevant.

17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta

yes but that's just an easy example that can be isolated. Can't expect new players to play at the same level of efficiency or i'm not as sure they should be penalized for our folly.

A lot of the time we have this "soak the rich" argument but every time you pull back the curtain, staff are the ones pulling the strings.

18. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    I agree with this but that is not the point they were trying to make, they don't want staff in charge of the economy which doesn't make sense. Other than some sort of public consortium that has access to the data and the code, which won't and shouldn't happen, there is no one else. You don't leave the fox guarding the Hen House.

19. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    6:14 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    How can you use Osslock in this argument? They are literally banned from NLC, of course pot cost changes are not a big deal for Osslock players lmao

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think what he means is pots are a larger concern for osslock players

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.