1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Washing Necessary Nowadays?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OneEyedGuy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    4:26 AM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Are you saying that if I want to toad I will have to train a brand new warrior or anything that can tank toad at lvl 200 just to do that content? Please stop reverting to the how it was in GMS argument.

How can you say that after being so vocal about your support for multiclienting in HT? How is THAT how it was in GMS? /shrug

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    3:41 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The possibilities have been expanded upon in this server because of people's dedication to [insert any Legend-centric strategy].
    Multiclienting is one. Bossing with washed characters is another.

If you want to toad, you can. Go ahead and scroll perfect HP gear and try to clear the boss while using power elixirs every time you get hit. The option is there. Your willingness to do so isn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    You are using that argument wherever you see fit and basically to construct your narrative. /shrug you do you. Akash’s post says otherwise. If you suggest people recreate characters or use an impractical strategy spending 12+ hours to clear the boss because they are acting entitled then you are really just arguing for the sake of arguing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You are trying to argue the technicality of a niche play-style and then backtracking that my answer, although technically possible, doesn't work because it's impractical. Right.

You know what else is impractical? Not using a lot of other optional features in this game.
    Is HP washing optional? Optional like how using pets and auto-pot is optional? Just like how going dexless/lukless is optional? Just like how scrolling for strong gear is optional? Or not using an AP reset to wash out the unwanted AP because you didn't want to spend 5 hours rolling perfect stats? That's optional, isn't it?

5. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    6:41 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I'm trying to think of what the alternatives are to "HP washing optional". You don't want "HP washing mandatory" because that immediately scares off so many new players who don't want any part of this unintuitive anti-player mechanic (although there are a ton of these mechanics in maple but that's another story for another time).

Could it be "HP washing recommended?" Cutting the bullshit and directly listing each piece of content where washing is "compulsory"? Even that is a gray area because technically an unwashed character can still HT, either by doing it at a much higher level or with perfect HB...so it's hard to state accurately on the webpage.

6. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Just to clarify, HT is very much possible without washing for ranged classes if you know the expedition and how to control properly. The problem is that an unwashed player is likely at the same time inexperienced with HT and doesn't know how to control properly, so it feels impossible for them.

So its a catch-22 where a player needs to be hp washed in order to have the safety net to learn how to fight the boss with lower HP.

It's a good thing we have something called hyperbody to help players out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Ok.

8. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    6:41 PM
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    its 2020, who doesn't wash nowadays? :thonking:

9. Stow

Stow Mixed Golem

Apr 30, 2017
    Dazzle
    Magician
    you could always concurrently make an unwashed character to enjoy the maximum potential of the class right from the get go, as well as a character planned for washing that you level up slowly while voting and gathering int gears/adding ints for enjoying end game content in the future. add on a 3rd character for leeching and you're set for both immediate enjoyment and future proofing.

of course this requires you to make and play 3 chars at the same time though.

10. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    Hi TS, in a way, HP washing actually IS optional. I mean, to each his own and your autonomy. You decide what you want to do.

However, what new players don't know is that your choice to opt-in or opt-out of HP washing (which is entirely your choice), will depict your access to late/end-game bossing/content. You are not well-informed of the consequences but yeah its actually optional. You still have to bare the consequences of your choices.

Can you play Maplelegends without HP washing? Of course. But, do you:

Opt for end-game content/bossing?
    - HP wash or you will have limited access to Horntail, no access to NeoTokyo (depending on classes of course) and whatever else everyone has mentioned that requires high HP

Opt to stick to 100% mob grinding till 200?
    Or have a mediocre casual gameplay with limited/no end-game experience/bossing? - ie. I play for fun and I don't care about bossing
    Or you wanna be an FM hoe?
    - Don't need HP wash

11. SungJinWoo

SungJinWoo Snail

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    4:41 PM
    SungJlnWoo
    Assassin
    Why not just increase the amount of NX you get from voting to 30k~50k each day? Makes washing less of an inconvenience and there's no real advantage for players having an abundance of NX (you can't buy gachapons with NX anyways). That way you actually have the choice to wash or not.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  12. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    8:41 AM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    The issue with simply just increasing the ease of getting resets drastically without any form of compensation for players who have already washed is that it doesn't tend to go well with the latter, whom have went through the hard work of consistent daily voting for months-years and farming event resets, only to have something like this directly invalidate their efforts.

13. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Why even make a DK if everybody is getting 10 resets per day? I think a lot of people forget that if HB gets devalued too much there’s literally no reason to play a DK.

14. sarysa

sarysa Slime

May 2, 2020
    Female
    sarymage
    Bishop
    It's uncanny how on-the-nose this post is. I am one of those who read job guides but skipped past things like "washing" and "int" for my decidedly non-int job, only to become aware of washing after realizing something was horribly wrong at 70. No HP boost for 3rd job, folks at Zakum talking about their massive HP pools and myself recently getting one-shot (4k) by a random mob in Showa. At the rate I was going I would have had to be 120 AND maxed my MBR just to survive that.

"Happy until 70 or so" is such a dangerous game to play. When I realized that washing was a thing and my first Gunslinger could never line up with my gameplay expectations, I was livid. This isn't like every other MMO out there, where you level up to max or near-max level and play around in the endgame sandbox. You literally have to abuse a bug to be competent. And yeah, it is a bug, but because Necky is evil and greedy (plus it made them obscene amounts of money), all the private servers (worth any salt) just accepted it as canon.

I went through all the stages of grief, even spent a week off just to decide if I still wanted to play, albeit still voting. I'm bummed my nickname is permanently attached to a non-viable character that's just too useful as a slot-expanded Orbis scroll farming mule to get rid of, but I also know that I'm by no means the only one, and misery loves company.

If you think about it though, folks like me who stuck around are probably a rarity. Learning how utterly weird MapleStory's endgame is is like being hit by a bus. I'm not entirely sure that the maple tip about not front-loading new players with washing info is suggesting the best strategy, even with ML being the #2 server on GTOP.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Fraiche

Fraiche Pac Pinky Retired Staff

Jul 20, 2017
    Straya
    8:41 AM
    Monobrow, Sheathe, Kasie, Fraiche
    F/P Arch Mage
    Uchiha
    As if Neckson is the only one guilty of being greedy, do you think ML will stay rank 2 on GTOP if players are no longer pressured to vote for resets? OnionSpit

16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Washing isn't necessary because you can add HP directly into you stat for HP gain without washing it out. It's literally an intended game feature to be able to add AP into HP, and washing it out is a strategy that has been developed by the players in order to minmax their stats. To say certain game features is locked behind a paywall of washing is factually incorrect. You have everything accessible to you to be able to play the content - you just are not willing to sacrifice certain aspects in order to attain it.

Legends has implemented several reasonable options to get you close and I'm sure they're in development of more to come. Asking for radical changes in favor of new players that plan on playing for less than a year is a bad idea, in my opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Z00M
    Beginner
    on that note, increase gold gacha drop rates and make NX coupon drops a common drop (w rare like droprate to not be too op as LPQ/CWKPQ) and not gated behind events.

18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    NX coupons also drop in GPQ, but other content could definitely benefit from NX coupon drops.
    Also, I'm not opposed to having the 100 nx coupon drop with the same rarity of gach tickets since it's a negligible amount of gain while still being somewhat valuable over time.
    As for current event rates of attainability - I think it's fine where it is. Some people are grinding out 30+ AP resets a week from just events on top of being able to vote. That's plenty enough, imo.

19. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Z00M
    Beginner
    oops i juz meant for NX coupons to be a common drop, not gold haha

20. fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    Me. Currently 8x hermit with no intention to wash, and no knowledge of doing so lol. Just playing for fun. I can imagine when and if I'm ever 18x I'd feel inadequate if I can't boss properly.

Although question for you guys, is it too late to start now??