1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

mapowner timeouts and abuse of the system

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by carebu, Jul 27, 2020.

1. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    12:46 PM
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    A culmination of the brilliant minds of the discord: We've noticed mapownership being abused to "hold good maps from the community". As far as I know, this hasn't been done extensively, or very maliciously yet; It's not a widespread issue as of now, it merely has a potential to be.

Some folks think that dropping the timer down to 2 would make it better. It would almost require a full attention to 'afk camp'. Leaves enough time to pee, not poop (But losing your map once a day isn't the end of the world) No time to get engaged with cooking (House fire prevention!) Seems like an OK suggestion I don't see why people should get 5minutes when they can't leave the map to do anything anyways. Just requires a bit more active behavior if you're going to do mule stuff or whatever.
    ban buch
    An aside note I thought about suggesting, maybe as an addendum, is to have some rule about holding maps but not utilizing them for limited periods of time. But this gets a little nuanced and people will definitely argue about what is and isn't utilizing. But if you make the necessary value statements I think it's possible to avoid having to argue with people much. That is to say, don't 'afk' tag 1 mob a minute for more than 30-60 minutes at a time. Or maybe, don't do it at all, with some lenience for short terms in the scale of a few minutes (For muling pots or whatever)

With shorter times, you will have an easier time "taking" maps from others. The map economy will accelerate, selling will decrease (Is that a good thing?) Generally not a lot will change but the effort to grief via mapownership abuse will increase a lot, potentially dissuading the behavior entirely?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    6:46 PM
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    Great suggestion! I agree 100%. 5 minutes mapowner is way too long.

3. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Sounds interesting but:
    What about laptop andy? The ones taking their laptops to poop and afk in maps.
    Buch is too good for u, omae wa mo shindeiru (ban carebou, #buchforgm)
    The problem here is understanding when one abuses the mapowner to afk-own a map (how do you show with SS or videos in the report thread? Once again, how do you describe being in the same map as the mapowner abuser, it might make you look like a map sniper)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    Is there something wrong with map sniping?

Record a 30minute video, or just take the properly timed screenshots (Assuming you care enough to report someone over it, it will be your responsibility to assemble the evidence) The game should have logging to collaborate what you say and what happens. If it doesn't, then you should be punished for filing false reports with malicious intent or something.

5. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    12:46 AM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    A few months ago people were complaining about 10 min mapowner. Now people are complaining about 5 min mapowner. If they indeed make a change with regards to timer, what's next?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Buch

Buch Brown Teddy

Apr 30, 2015
    Male
    Buch
    Cleric
    cpq

7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    9:46 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Per the current ToS, your description is not 'map ownership abuse' but rather, map ownership as intended.
    You fail to see the core issue at hand that is causing this behavior - a fear of not having a map when needed.
    Lowering the mapowner timer to 2 minutes won't solve this issue.

8. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    Man people be on the server for 2 weeks and ask for wild changes

5 minutes is already hardly enough time to take a worthwhile break (though I do feel it was the right move to change it from 10 minutes to 5). After I sell an hour of leech or do whatever on a map, I want to get up and walk around, maybe make some tea or use the bathroom without having to lose the map that I probably waited on and worked for to get. You can hardly do anything in 2 minutes, and people are still gonna hold maps if the timer is that short. I don't think this proposed solution fixes anything, it just makes it so much worse for people.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    Bishop
    -
    OnionAnnoyed
    If you go out with a girl and she need to go to the toilet , tell her to pee in 1minute
    5minute is a good amount for pee break , water refill

If anything , i suggest banning people that sell map ownership
    I've seen some people that own the map at CDs just to sell map

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. IHateApple

IHateApple Horny Mushroom

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    Unless we remove the mapowner completely, 2 min timer won't solve anything as you mentioned. Even with 1 min timer, people who wants to keep the map they can just keep attacking every 30 sec to hold the map forever.

We should take another approach for this, like ban people for selling the map, so people will not holding map for other purpose beside using it later?

• Like Like x 3
  11. OP
    OP
    carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    I don't even think selling maps is the worst issue here, it's just emergent economy. I think holding a map while not using it at all is the bigger problem. If you want to grind on a map while you hold it but offer to sell it to others, I personally don't see an issue there. My only issue is denying maps from the 'map economy', whether you intend to utilize it later or not, you're being really wasteful holding it. I'm entirely concerned with the afk holders, I don't think afk grinding is a legitimate way to play this game but that's another opinion piece to argue about. And definitely not holding for any scale of time that reaches into hours for the potential to use it later.

The example that we came up with to exasperate the idea, is that I could easily make 8-24 clients level 50 clerics, go and make a little bit of a disgusting protest of how dysfunctional it is to retain map ownership without actually requiring much effort. (The 24 client example is specifically to lock up the entirety of Ghost Ship in Signapore, a pretty hot spot for mapownership contention)

And because Buch willfully holds onto maps while idling and eating and farms salt from people passing through because he's only attacking once every 4minutes while idling for hours at a time.

Buch made a good suggestion but it becomes really complicated, in that there is a continuous value given to actions that constantly degrades, so it's kind of like a resource upkeep to own a map, and you can't just sit still and cast an ability once every x minutes to hold it. It'll be harsher on people who sit in one spot (clerics) but still let them retain ownership so long as they're active; and be more lenient with people who are highly active and likely need better breaks and re-pot times.

The two minute reduction is just a repeat of the five minute reduction, I said that in my OP. "Generally not a lot will change but the effort to grief via mapownership abuse will increase a lot, potentially dissuading the behavior entirely?" If you're basically active the entire time you're there, there's not much difference from bishop spamming heal and side stepping once every 30 seconds.

This is a terribly stupid notion, that only experienced people can grasp issues with how a server operates. Not to mention, I didn't come up with this topic, I was merely one among like 5 arguing about it on discord, and took the initiative to start the discussion on the forums because the staff encouraged it. Note the people more experienced than you contributing their opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. IHateApple

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    Well, I think once you play this game for longer time you will learn that there are some maps are impossible to get during peak hours. So those afk map holder at the map is just to hold it while they doing some irl stuff to guarantee that they will have map to train or leech later on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    To make the world a better place, we must first make it a worse place.

14. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    7:46 PM
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    and that’s why it called map owner abuse

15. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    carebucarebu That statement that you've been on the server for 2 weeks and are asking for a ridiculous change is just a fact. Of course a new player is able to offer valuable suggestions, but this is not that. I've only played ML for like a year and I've seen so many forum posts from new players asking for unreasonable changes. This is one of them, 2 minutes hardly gives you time to do anything at all man.

And in this case it is relevant that you've spent less time on this server. For example if you had a 4th job mage and have sold leech before, I think you'd better understand why you'd need longer than a 2 minute break after nonstop staring at a screen for an hour or two or more. So what you have to wait for a map sometimes, everyone's gotta do it. Getting maps is competitive sometimes sure, but you shouldn't have to lose the map you probably waited for just because you're not allowed to stay off the screen for more than 2 minutes. 5 minutes is plenty reasonable imo

Edit: I do agree that selling maps is whack though. I don't know if it should be bannable but I don't know how else it could be stopped, like people should just be decent and not try to make a quick buck when they already plan on leaving

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. IHateApple

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    This is not abuse, so just use grinding or leech as example either way u want. U train or leech for hr, you want to take a short break, how u keep the map while u taking the break. Or like you got a urgent call between, how u suppose to hold the map while on the phone. So i guess just pray nobody show up and take away the mapowner from you?

As i said earlier, unless we remove mapowner thing completely from this server, else there will always people afk holding map.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    7:46 PM
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    Who’s talking about leech did uever tried to get a female boss map? There’s a good person 1 person who literally take over 5channels for him self,it’s not abuse?

yes pls remove the map owner

18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It's not abuse if it's working as intended. There really isn't a better way to resolve map ownership than clear cut rules. Reducing the time would only serve to ruin the quality of life of people who play for longer hours. It won't increase the turnover, it'll just force people to be glued to their computer for hours on end.
    Like I said before, the issue right now isn't that people are holding onto maps to use later. That is a result of the bigger issue that people fear not having a map when they need it. This needs to be addressed first, otherwise any changes implemented will just continue to move the problem around to the next 'solution'.

This is an issue with the higher level leech/grind spots like Skeles/Petris/5-6 where there aren't any comparable alternatives outside of bossing.

Edit: Another thing to think about - it seems like a lot of map balance is currently focused on 50-120, but for a 2x exp server, the average lifespan of a player seems to be from levels 100-150, skewed higher due to the exp boosts. Because of this, I think there needs to be more available higher level content. Nothing game breaking because it'll just bring about power creep. Instead, I think there needs to be a set standard of exp gain to which other maps/regions should be balanced around, and nuanced depending on map layout, mob type, mob count, etc to give a variety of party styles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    lets remove map ownership guys...! Came into this server to ks ppl with mage ult because back in the day a bishop would ks me wherever I went because he didn't like what I said. And now I kind of want to experience being the ksing mage.. but every server seems to have some stupid ksing map owner rule...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1