1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Summer 2020 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    1:43 AM
    When I said reduce the elemental damage, I wasn't referring to the charges, but the amplification. I don't disagree that that would also affect mages, but I'm sure something could be done about that without breaking the game. E.g., 1.75x1.3x700% would result in 1592.5% damage to elementally weak enemies to fire (almost the exact same), but non elementally weak enemies (1.75x700%) would hit 1225%, a pretty good bump without being game breaking compared to the current 1050%.

Again this doesn't address that palis now have 30 skill points stuck in HH which is still completely useless outside of training in a few specific areas. Temple of oblivion is still bad compared to lightning damage, petris are almost more effective to train at without HH spam, and are a very low eph training spot period. Legit get more leeching there than grinding there. Dukus are a meme and aren't fun. I highly doubt crimsons are trained at particularly often other than to try to get hearts or brandish20. Not surprising that threaten can't be buffed well. I'm sure there could still be a better version of it on the server.

I either have to quit my character temporarily or permanently until this is resolved or my SP are refunded for HH. I'm sure some people would value it for training, but I get the feeling most will be more interested in skills that help them in all aspects of the game, not just training at a few specific places.

2. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    9:43 AM
    Really my main issue is the cast speed. I can do 4 blasts in the span of 1 HH and if we take HT as an example assuming legs and tail are down and I'm hitting 6 limbs ( 3heads, 2 arms, wings). 50*6=300k dmg per HH cast. At my level I can do way over 300k in 4 blasts so there's absolutely 0 reason for me to ever use this skill anymore.

If in comparison it only took 1 second to cast, heck 50k dmg ain't that bad, at least the opportunity cost of using blast isn't there anymore and HH is still a clear favourite and can be used. Cast speed 1 sec, 15 sec cd, 50k dmg? no problemo. I would actually find this more enjoyable than the old, clunky, 4 sec cast 200k dmg cause while it was strong, it was just clunky and you're literally stuck for days casting HH and unable to dodge anything.

Disagree on changing elemental amp % cause it just affects too many things but #makeholychargegreatagain #MHCGA

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. HittingStuff

HittingStuff Slime

Jan 9, 2020
    Male
    HittingStuff
    Paladin
    Agape
    I don't think anyone is saying they can't get into horntail. I think they are saying that paladin DPM is more effected by the new changes than you might think...

4. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    4:43 AM
    iPippy
    I thought the current issue with holy is that there just arent any holy weak bosses that are relevant that arent ALSO weak to something else. And I actually dont know for sure, but I thought I read somewhere that the elemental damage bonus/penalty actually scales with the skill level of the charge (to cap out at the bonus we know), and additional that the holy charge had a larger ele weak bonus/smaller penalty, but who knows if thats true/accurate to this version. I think it was one of the ayumilove formula lists...

5. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    This is exactly correct. Every holy-weak boss i can currently think of off the top of my head (crow, kacchuu) is also weak to lightning. Lightning caps at 150% whereas holy caps at 140%, thereby making this an absolutely useless charge since it's outscaled by another charge from third job.
    These two bosses aren't that relevant and they're gated by numerous people hunting and respawn timers, so I don't really believe buffing holy charge %'s would be that game breaking and it would help with ele neutral stuff.

It would also provide me a reason to do the skill quest for this skill...

Edit just doing some maths, ice charge on ice weak would do a total of 1.25*1.5 = 1.875 so 190% on holy charge would make no sense.

Maybe we can do it at like 185 so it's weaker than ice charge and can still be our main charge for ele neutral.

6. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Main issue with holy from my perspective is that it's just worse than both fire and lightning in every way. There's less mobs / enemies / bosses that are weak to it, and it does 1.4x damage versus fire doing 1.75x and lightning doing 1.5x. Additionally it's a 4th job skill meaning the points you have to invest are a lot more valuable, so using it would be wasteful early on, at least as long as the current limitations apply, even if it's only 20 points vs the 3rd job charges 30 points.

7. Reisu

Reisu Horny Mushroom

Jun 11, 2020
    5:43 PM
    Bishop
    Then what would be the issue with buffing Holy Charge? It isn't overpowered, lorewise it's fitting as a Paladin's main element, and with the HH nerf it seems like a perfect time to see what else one can do for them. I found it surprising when I came to ML that Holy Charge remained in its default v62 state while the other charges were buffed to some obscene levels, which is disappointing (clarification: not the elemental charge buffs but Holy Charge/Divine Charge being left in the dust). I'm sure this was discussed before by many people, but what is stopping them from increasing its multiplier above the third job charges?

8. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    And this is exactly why buffing holy charge is the best solution to the dmg reduction from nerfed HH. Aside from a boost to HT dmg, bosses outside of HT will remain unchanged for paladins. They will continue to use their current elemental charges for Scar/Targa? and NT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    A % between 180% to 185% would be perfect for holy charge. It would be stronger than fire charge and still weaker than ice charge on ice weak bosses like targa

10. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    bosses outside of non elementally vulnerable bosses (zak, ht, pap, etc.) will remain unchanged for paladins
    I'd vote for somewhere around 190% as previously suggested. a .15 boost compared to fire would be better in my opinion. If you wanted to go full op you could do 2x but that's probably too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    you can’t make it 190% because at 190% it would be stronger than ice charge on an ice weak boss and therefore make ice charge a useless skill since you’d just use holy charge to kill an ice weak monster.

the highest you can make holy charge is somewhere less than the total of ice charge on ice weak

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Or just buff ice so it's not completely useless :|

13. Romel

Romel Stone Golem

Jul 10, 2018
    Male
    3:43 AM
    oXLuffyXo
    Buccaneer
    Yonkou
    El limite de 199k en mi experiencia solo pude alcanzarlo en mobs débiles a elementos como pianus usando SE + onix
    Que opinas de potenciar solo holy charge, advanced charge, aumentar el coldown de HH 199k y quitar inmunidad a holy charge en cwkpq para una mejor distribución de daño, todo esto sin tocar blast, perjudicando HH mulas y mejorando a un paly como cleave, respecto a que % deberia tener holy charge creo que tienen razón en decir que no debería superar al ice charge en mobs débiles como targa por lo que propondría subir holy charge a 185% o mantenerlo en 190% y subir ice charge a 130 o 135% ademas de darles un impulso a advance charge blow a 400 o 450% en el mejor escenario, para pulir en entrenamiento con cargas de 3er job sin depender mucho de HH justo despues de avanzar a 4to job; se que estas ocupado pero por favor revisa lo que escribí mas arriba, quiero saber cual es tu postura.
    Ez.png

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    4:43 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Ice isn't completely useless o_o

Anyway, I don't think you guys (we paladins) are gonna get traction if our stance is just on replacing damage lost from HH -- Nise's posts made it clear that balance team saw our damage as a problem to begin with, they will not pre-emptively compensate before data is gathered, even if from our point of view it's pretty easy to calculate how much dmg is lost since HH is fixed damage for fixed casts per minute.

I'll just say that for me personally, the only way to make this palatable is to bring back hammer, no amount of buffing ele charges or blast is gonna cut it, because HH being cool was the reason I picked it in 2017 anyway. I did not even pick it for the OPness - back in 2017 everyone still thought paladins were shit classes and Nise hadn't joined the server yet so no one thought of disgusting shit like grinding at Crimson Guardians (also no shaolin).

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    This is such a whack explanation. Like I mentioned in the other thread, you can cast 4 blasts in the span of 1 HH, which equates to 16 blasts with 4 HH/1.6mil DPM in zak (1min). Assuming you are using Claymore + SI, you will be outputting 95.23 blasts per minute in an ideal scenario. Let's take the 4 million single target DPM you mentioned, and divide it by the casts per min, which means each Blast does 42k damage. 16 casts * 42k damage = 672k damage, meaning the "increase" is only slightly less than 1mil DPM.

Now, I say increase with quotation marks because you will never output 95.23 blasts per minute, since that's the number of casts on dummy. In practice, you will only be doing ~85 casts per minute, unless you are one of the top pallies (in which you can probably do ~90 due to player skill). 4 million single target DPM divided by 85 casts scales down the HH "increase" by around 100k, and I'm sure I don't need to explain the number is going to be even lesser when you are only cleaving 6 in HT.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Ice is completely useless outside of mass stunning via hammer. If you want to stun something, whack it once with acb. Every time I try to fight manon it takes longer than it should due to other enemies getting in the way. Even when an enemy is ice weak its usually easier to just use fire unless it resists fire. Only use case is mass freeze via hammer and ice weak enemies that resist fire.

17. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    4:43 AM
    DMsRebirth
    Ice is used for Targa and Hsalf when he's left alone. Also for future, one of the PB statues are weak to ice, as well as Auf Haven the end boss of NT part 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    5:43 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Hmmm I've never been too sure about mage math and have stayed away from it, but I'm not sure how much that would boost up the required magic to one hit things as a mage. It is an interesting thought, but then you'd have to compensate it with flat damage buffs to elemental classes (mages pretty much). Which could work out too tbh. I'd be down to look further down this line of thinking, but I would also like a bit of insight to what some mages think perhaps :p

Waittt I was around in 2017! I was just a wee little pally climbing his way up with the goal of trying to break HH.... (true story). How it came back to bite us in the ass :pepehands: I would say though, all the Pally's concerns are definitely heard. We just want some other stuff to substantiate just how big of a change it is (not just in terms of theoretical numbers) but like how vastly the playability changes. There's also some long term/bigger picture things we have to factor in, so we'll let the change play out in its course for now ^^

So I had read this a few times and I had absolutely no clue what you were trying to get at. The first point is probably about how I didn't account for the casting time, therefore making it not just a 1.4mil addition on top. It was quicc maffs :p so I didn't account for it, my bad. As for the rest, I'm unfortunately not sure what you're trying to get at. I just see numbers, but not the bottomline you were trying to get at...

19. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Ohyeah what I meant was when I was paladin you were just the wee little pally, that was in like october 2017 or something wasn't it :p

But yeah I get that you guys needed to fix the mule situation and after my salt subsides I guess I can accept how this will play out. Won't join HT for a while probably (I was alr semi-quitting dragon cave PQ prior to the patch notes release and this change solidifies it cause BORING) but yeah plenty else to do in maple and real world for now. Have confidence in you guys to get things right again, somehow.

20. wanpi12456

wanpi12456 Timer

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Taiwan
    PrEP
    Paladin
    Beaters
    For paladin dmg
    Melee solo dpm you mentioned
    Let's talk about how we usually do HT

Hero is using major bossing skill "brandish"
    Brandish hit 3 targets :
    Left arm/wing/leg
    Right arm/wing/right head

Pally is using major bossing skill "blast"
    Blast hit 1 target :
    mid head
    left head
    If you are using 1hand weapon and skill "ACB", you'll find that you can barely hit the arm.
    no kiddings but the acb is only used for cwkpq
    Pally use blast for all other boss run

The question appear
    why only look at the 1 target dpm comparison and say that pally is good enough?
    why don't we just just make hero?
    hero only do 0.3m less dpm at Lv180 and 0.5m less dpm at Lv200
    but hero has the chance to hit 3 targets while pally only hit 1 target

if it is available
    I want to ask if it possible to make "2 targets dpm" and "3 targets dpm" melee dmg comparison and see how weak the pally is.
    I want to see how people say "damn, pally is too weak for 2 or 3 targets as a warrior"

Also another question
    You said pally is a single target melee attacker
    Why not make a single target attacker dpm comparison and check how is the dpm among NL/BM/MM/Pally/Corsair and do the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 4