1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Snipe (the new HH?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by s0mething, Nov 2, 2020.

1. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    8:22 AM
    Heaven's Hammer received a subsequent nerf, because it was deemed too OP and "mule-able" for HT.

In regards to MM's Snipe, my understanding is that snipe is not considered a neutral element, so theoretically it does full damage (200k) and not 50% like all other classes' main attacks. I'm also not familiar with PB's DR and Wep Cancel and how it affects snipe, so please feel free to chime in.

If we assume that the main body takes 1 hour to kill and spends 2/3's of the time in DR, that's roughly 20 mins spent on actually attacking PB. Snipe has a 5 sec CD, so you can fit ~240 snipes. Considering snipe does 200k, the marginal gain if snipe is not included in the neutral category would be 1.2m dpm.

Calc: Snipe if it's not neutral -> 200k. Snipe if it's neutral -> 100k. So the difference would simply be 50% or 100k. Assuming no disturbances, 240 snipes with 100k dmg would yield a total of 24m total damage or 1.2 DPM over 20 minutes.

Anyways, would this make snipe "too OP" for PB as well? Should future MMs be concerned about this and plan accordingly?

Full disclosure: I'm a BM main and no i'm not salty (should I be? :sorry:). I just don't want to see the server go back into the "HH age" with snipe.

Edit: for those who are lazy to read my second comment below, this is not referring to mules, but the skill as a whole.

2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    9:22 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Over the years I've seen this idea of snipe mules be floated around. Perhaps its advocates found inspiration from the great HH mule revolution, if HH was broken due to its fixed damage properties, surely we can do the same with the other fixed damage skill? However snipe mule advocates fail to understand what is it that actually made HH mules broken, there are a variety of important traits that HH mules had that snipe mules do not.
    1. Ability to reach 30k hp + achilles with no washing
    2. Ability to minimize repositioning time through stance + guardian(+possible luk investment)
    3. Long CD on damage skill

#1 is important for both survivability and minimization of pot burn. Even if you pumped only HP from level 1-140 on an archer, you would have somewhere around 16k hp. Compared to HH mules with achilles and 30k hp the pot burn and survivability is going to be way worse.

#2 If you think that snipe mules are going to be able to press 1 button every 5 seconds to get 2.4m dpm, thats quite the pipe dream. Anyone that has played non-thief/warrior classes should understand how big of a role KB plays in boss runs. Without stance or some form of KB mitigation you will have to spent a lot of effort repositioning snipe mules for each snipe.

#3 Post nerf HH was 15 second cd compared to Snipe's 5 second CD. If you want to control the snipe mule optimally you are going to have to tab into the mule client 3 times as much. This combined with #2 makes this mule difficult enough to control to the point where you might as well just join a certain foot paladin and start attacking on 2 characters.

All of these points should be fairly obvious to anyone that has run a decent amount of HT. HH mules were not broken because they added 3-4m dpm, they were broken because they EASILY added 3-4m dpm.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    I should have specified, but I wasn't referring to snipe mules. I've heard of the catastrophic era of SE mules and trying to make them relevant in HT.

I'm more so referring to the actual skill itself and if it's worth addressing before its too late. I remember a post from 2018, when the initial idea of HH mules was brought up and no one really batted an eye. Fast forward to the summer 2020 event balance patch, when HH was nerfed significantly and all hell broke loose.

What i'm concerned about is IF new players make a MM (attacker not mule) with the expectation that they are the strongest non-mage class in PB, because snipe does 200k. However, it's later deemed too OP down the road and snipe gets balanced accordingly. We've seen this whole normalization of DPM in respect to HT, because it was the end game boss. Will normalization of DPM be made in respect to PB?

Not to throw more things on the GM's plates (I appreciate all the work everyone has done). Would it be better to address this now, so players have a better road map? Maybe you guys have already discussed this and this isn't quite an issue as I make it to be.

4. Ben Ten

Ben Ten Slime

Jun 18, 2017
    Male
    Marksman
    The steel-flying type addressed Heaven's Hammer pretty clearly.
    If snipe muling isn't a thing before, it definitely won't be a thing in Pink Bean. Snipe isn't even a busted skill lol find me a 17k+ hp, 30% avoid shifter Marksman and maybe you'll be right, bowmaster main

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    I don't even know how to respond. Please read before replying.

6. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    11:22 PM
    Bishop
    -
    Nerf snipe so there'll be less MM = Less SE = Nerf to Nightlord Poggie
    I like how you think , you went a full circle to nerf NL :^)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    back to the age old question, "Why is NL in HT?"

8. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:22 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    HH was busted not for the extra single target DPS they could bring, but rather the cleave damage they could bring + all the reasons aforementioned. On a single target, it's not as busted as you think because it is a physical attack (unlike HH which was magical) it'll be affected by damage resist. Snipe also doesn't go through damage reflect or weapon cancel ofc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hloohe

hloohe King Slime

Jun 27, 2017
    hloohe
    Bowmaster
    Imagine thinking snipe mules are next new thing to ht :kekw:

2021 will be age of sed shad mule
    2022 will be age of str sair mule

You heard it hear first, start voting on 5 accounts if you haven’t already.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Ok so snipe is actually affected by damage resist? Also, will you disclose whether or not DR is 2/3 of the fight or do we have to find out ourselves? :cry:

Again, not sure how to respond, but would love to hear more about STR sair mules.

11. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Uhhh tbh I'm not 100% sure about snipe being affected by damage resist... Cus I know currently even on some bosses it doesn't do the full 199,999 and usually falters down to 199,499 or something like that. I personally always theorized it to be due to the wdef or some weirdness in scaling. I didn't check this, so if I remember to, I'll try to check this out. I'm not sure what you mean by DR btw... cus DR = damage reflect as well.

I can't recall remember the actual percentage from the top of my head, but it's majority of the fight. You should be able to find better numbers through your own research ;) we kept the fight identical pretty much. So any old guides documenting the PB fight should still be entirely accurate for ML~

12. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    11:22 AM
    DMsRebirth
    Even if Snipe can hit full damage on PB, Marksman's damage is still below Paladins (assuming lightning charge doesn't hit physical resist), Archmages, and probably even Corsairs, especially if on apples/gelt.

13. Filter

Filter Slime

May 29, 2018
    Male
    11:22 AM
    Filter
    Marksman
    Galaxy
    I think you answered your own question. Under those (ideal) conditions, you're only adding a maximum additional 1.2M DPM if snipe is unaffected by damage resist. I'm not sure how one could rationalize that as being so much that it could be considered too op or that somehow comparing it to HH is appropriate.
    Just in case this is unclear, no, it's not too OP.

14. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    afaik snipe ignores weapon resist/def and pally thunder charge is still affected by weapon resist. i.e. MM will be the strongest class fighting PB and pally will be marginally stronger than shads

15. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    11:22 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    You are talking about training a lv140 HP MM and still needing 100% HB up time, while cycling through multiple clients at 5s intervals with repositioning. All this in the toughest boss fight.

Idk. But I will probably do much better in life if I have this level of delication.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Oh yeah I meant DR.

I've heard differing opinions about Paladin's lightning/thunder charge. I guess we'll have to wait until this weekend for an actual PB attempt. I'm clueless when it comes to PB, so it should be fun to watch.

Don't worry. This wasn't meant to be an attempt to convince staff to nerf snipe. Just wanted to be cautious for future MMs and not have what happened to pallies happen to them as well.

17. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    In the late game Snipe isn't really any more than a quarter of a MM's damage output while on apple, and it might be even less. So in total that makes them about 1.25x as effective as other physical classes if Snipe is the full 200k.

Bringing one in as a mule is out of the question when party slots are the most valuable asset available. A shad mule for dropping mesos to boom during Damage Reflect would be much more valuable and more well suited to survive in PB.

18. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    : pepehands: I guess people don’t read past the original post. Im not saying snipe mules will actually be a thing worth considering.

That is one thing I didn’t consider, how snipe does not benefit from Apple.

Again, if GMs and balance team members have taken this into consideration before the release of PB and does not see an issue with it, then i’m ok with it. I just want to raise the question now, before new/old players invest their time into making a MM just to see their skills get changed down the road.

Many have voiced their opinions about the pally issue, so i’m not going to get into that. The issue is, I’ve heard many pallies have either quit or changed jobs because of it. Subjective as it may be, I just don’t want to see that with future MMS.

19. OP
    OP
    s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Never stated that. But you also underestimate the sweatiness of some people, if this was actually possible.

20. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Seriously, spending a precious party slot for extra 1.2~2.4(never available) dpm with super squish, requires HB full time and being played not focused(bcz it's mule, multiclient) and easy to die, in PB run which even we feel short for DPM with 30 men squad is overpowered...?

Im currently multiclienting bish+MM in HT run and i cant shot every 5sec sniping cuz im not pro like OP said, cant focus on both clients.

Please know actual situation before you talk about 'balance' stuffs. This game isnt same with paperplan and calculator.