1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make holding maps for >15 minutes while doing nothing griefing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NOCAP, Jan 27, 2021.

1. NOCAP

NOCAP Mano

Jan 27, 2021
    Male
    10:35 AM
    NOCAP
    Beginner
    Swag
    Can we make it so holding maps for longer than 15 minutes while doing absolutely nothing but killing 1 mob every 5 minutes is a form of griefing? It's really getting out of hand how people will sometimes camp maps for 15-60 minutes+ while doing absolutely nothing with the map.

This would be similar to the recent change where holding HT maps is a form of griefing.

EDIT: Can I get this moved to the suggestions section? Didn't realize I posted in the wrong area. Sorry.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 14
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    5:35 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I assume that unless the player has clearly mentioned their intent that they're holding the map for a friend or to use the map later, how is it a form of griefing? are they bothering you at all? its not like it was originally your map then they came and sniped it. Even then it would be likely your fault for not keeping the map properly.

If you are getting harassed, you can always report the player.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    NOCAP

NOCAP Mano

Jan 27, 2021
    Male
    NOCAP
    Beginner
    Swag
    I would consider it griefing because it prevents players who are looking for a map from finding one. It is inconvenient not just for myself but countless others when someone AFKs on a popular map for an hour or more simply because they want to claim dibs while they themselves are not using it and they are also disallowing anyone else who is searching for a map to use it as well.

This is especially true for mages who at popular leech maps can hit mobs from safe spots; this makes it so there is minimal risk and effort to hold map owner for significant time periods which results in unfortunate gameplay experiences for other players who are just looking to actually use the maps for their intended purpose and train.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    While I do find it aggravating, there are other locations people can go to grind with similar results. This just seems silly to call it griefing.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    NOCAP

NOCAP Mano

Jan 27, 2021
    Male
    NOCAP
    Beginner
    Swag
    We don't have to call it griefing. We can call it anything; I would just prefer to see something in place that discourages people from doing things like this. It is my understanding that the current mapowner mechanic is in place to allow people to go eat something quickly or use the restroom or something like that and this is definitely great. It's just unfortunate when people abuse this and other people have to suffer as a result.

It is just my opinion that it's a detrimental look on the server when you see people clearly abusing these mechanics in a way they were not intended to be used for personal benefit at the cost of other people. Judging by the reactions it seems like a lot of people disagree which is perfectly okay as well.

For maps like 5-6F, ulu2, and skeles where this happens there's really no respectable alternative. If I want to sell leech there's not really anywhere else I can go for my class that would have similar returns. If I am a 17x bishop I can't just go to petris instead of skeles because the EPH is really not comparable since I can't 1 hit petris as a bishop.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    2:35 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Whether grinding or selling leech like hell, or just bullying stand-by snipers with false hope killing a mob every 4mins fapping watching something naughty joyful, is right of owner.

Whats point of being 'owner' if you have no right to do whatever you want to.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. OP
    OP
    NOCAP

NOCAP Mano

Jan 27, 2021
    Male
    NOCAP
    Beginner
    Swag
    I would point to this thread as a precedent: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...-are-you-allowed-to-hold-an-ht-channel.33229/

Kimmy's own words: " I am honestly quite disappointed that this situation happens to begin with because griefing an HT channel to point you idle in them is extremely childish and is not what I would expect to be happening in this community." Why is this same logic not applied to other maps? The point about griefing a channel to the point where you are idling in them is what I'm really trying to address.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Big difference is, past holding HT channel was doable with 2hr full afking which was ridiculous. Not available anymore.

You can still hold a channel currently by keeping sign-up stage while waiting your squad members gather up. This requires 5minish refreshing and still risky if there are other competitors. And this is actually happening. I had to snipe a channel in last sundays run. (Sorry guys we were desperate also like you...)

Almost same on current keeping mapowner logic. You need to keep awake for every 5mins to keep map, not like 2hr afking which kimberly blocked.

Let me be honest. Why you try to 'grief' other guys holding mapowner for your profit (like exp or $)? As one of hated sniper in ulu2 for months, I'd say, welcome to jungle. Once you entered into jungle, follow law of jungle. (And that ownership sniping game under rule is....honestly enjoyable)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I've witnessed someone hold a map for 4 hours because they didn't wana lose their map while doing horntail, idk man stuff can get pretty grief if u ask me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I feel you bro bcz whenever I try to get a map this happens but still can't agree it's griefing, since it's his map and as I wrote above, it's his free right to do what he wants. I'm also looking for a map for my profit and he's keeping his map for his profit. I can't see any reason why his seeking profit should be treated as griefing against my seeking for profit. That's fairness I believe.

Still sucks but that's what I do too kekw

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    1:35 PM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Comparing HT signup to holding mapowner isn’t really fair. Every 5 minutes the HT signup is a forced FFA to start meanwhile mapowner is player controlled. Idk what the solution is but holding a training map without using it is griefing imo.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I still can't get why 'actual ppl willing to grind' should be treated heavier than 'ownership of ppl who holds map idling'. Since both are theorically same behavior. Seeking profit.

Bcz you can make more profit? May I ask a map to gs2 grinding cleric killing so slow, as bish, since I can grind in there much more effective?

Bcz you want map? He wants map too.

Please, respect ownership. You can still try to snipe them when they do mistakes. It's also your free.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    To those who say that this is not griefing, what if the same thing was done on a larger scale?

What if someone were to gather 8 people to hold all 8 channels of some meta map doing exactly this? What if it was 1 person using 8 mules?

Imo, this is griefing whether its 1 channel or all 8. But I don't think it should be punished as long as its within the confines of the rules.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    If it's legit one person doing this, I could see that as griefing, as that's just excessive. I saw that in other servers with afk farming kids using their summons, then summons no longer held map ownership and that method was promptly thwarted.

However, if you're just salty because you can't find a specific map, there are other maps available for the same purposes as the map you're salty about not getting. It might not be 100% as "meta" as you want it to be, but the option is still there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Problem is, OP used term 'griefing' to induce any punishment (ban, or, forced losing of ownership) for keeping map over 15mins.

We all feel it sucks when we try to get a map and notice someone is keeping it idly (and I feel it sucks too). But defining this as griefing and inducing forced something is completely diff matter.

Wish someone doesnt take 8cc and bully all of us tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Not advocating for it, but it'd take some fool(s) crazy and dedicated enough to multiclient afk on all ulu2 and 5-6 channels to put the flaws on display. Hell, even Manon would be easy enough to 'shut down'. It's what it took for ht and anego channel camping to become publicly known.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    2:35 PM
    Cleric
    Not sure what is and isn't possible from a development standpoint, but introducing a penalty system could solve the issue. For example, make it so that a certain number of mobs need to be killed by the map owner within a specified period of time (that number should of course be tailored to level range and possibly class). If the threshold is met, great, the sub-timer resets and you keep the map indefinitely—so long as you continue to meet it. If the threshold isn't met, ownership of the map is retained, but a "strike" is recorded. Strikes should ideally be visible to everyone under the @mapowner command. If three strikes are incurred, the map can be overtaken by anyone (apart from the map owner) who kills a mob. If the map owner wants to prevent this after hitting 3 strikes, they can reset their strikes by hopping channels and hoping the map doesn't get swiped in the meantime. This sounds like quite a bit of work, but it doesn't have to be implemented for all maps—just the hotly contested ones. At the very least, it'd curb the idling a bit.

18. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Rather than escalate something up to griefing, perhaps we could entertain ways to rework the @mapowner system? From a number of forum post, it seems a number of players aren't 100% happy with the conditions necessary to obtain @mapowner. We're always open to suggestions on how we could change the @mapowner requirement (so long as it isn't ridiculously complex that makes coding a nightmare) :p

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I believe it’s something that’s very hard to address. I personally think that 95% of players operate in good faith with the current map owner feature. It is a very small minority who are creating a miserable gameplay experience by hoarding a map for long periods of time when they aren’t doing anything with it.

Just today I was lookin for a 5-6F and 2 maps were occupied for AFKers. 1 guy sat there for 90 minutes semi-AFK just using ulti every 3 minutes to keep map owner. Another person spent 45 minutes doing the same in a different channel. That’s 22% of the available maps and it’s just demoralizing to see.

• Agree Agree x 10
  20. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    The important distinction would be intent. Someone holding a map in one channel to use in the near future vs one person holding 8 channels to prevent other people from training there is a VERY big difference imo. I feel like GMs would be able to do a good job in differentiating between the two and resolving cases like this if it ever came up. However, I do agree there are some issues with the way the current @mapowner works, such as defining how long "near future" means to some people compared to others. and don't get me started on pseudo-mapowner rules... :wacky:

I feel like a bigger problem is that there are only 3ish viable maps (5-6, skeles, petris) available for high level leeching, which leads to problems such as "hoarding" maps. More meta maps = less competition = less complaints!

• Agree Agree x 1