1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

ML NPCs Ranked By How Good They Are At Their Jobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pundit, Aug 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    3:32 AM
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    Nobody’s talking about the gross incompetence that’s taking over the Maple world. The server’s preoccupation with grinding and bossing and scrolling gear has distracted us from an issue that affects everyone’s gameplay: the erosion of standards of competence and decency among the Maple world’s NPCs. In order to restore a sense of order and honor around this place, I’m going to name some names: which NPCs are simply not pulling their weight, as well as those who are a shining example for the bad NPCs to look toward for inspiration as they try to better themselves. Let the shaming commence:

Worst NPCs in Maplelegends (from least worst to most worst)

10. GLIBBER

[​IMG]

Glibber had a good plan, which is why he almost dodged the list. He posted up in an area of El Nath that was far from town to peddle potions and pizzas. Decent strat. Glibber’s problem is that gameplay has changed since beta and nobody considers Ice Valley II that far into El Nath anymore. Sure, when it took forever to hit level 30 and it took you and eleven friends ten minutes to take down a single Yeti, you’d need to hit up the Glibster for some more white pots and Mokbis. But now my guy has to post up way further out, closer to zak, to be effective at all. Sure supply lines will be harder to maintain out there but you can charge a premium for that! You’re getting no foot traffic where you are, Glibby. You gotta adapt to the times or your business is going to sink.

9. NOLBU

[​IMG]

OK Nolbu is not bad at his job per se, but he does get wrecked by a gourd that spawns on his roof, which is hilarious and he deserves to be mocked for it.

8. GHOSTHUNTER BOB

[​IMG]

Should be hunting ghosts. It’s in his title. Instead, eats burgers and gets you to hunt ghosts. I’m not even positive that that’s a ghost hunting device that he’s got. Looks more like a vacuum cleaner. Sloppy work from Bob.

7. CARSON AND MAED

[​IMG]

These two cats claim to be in some massive blood feud but they’re not smart enough to figure out that the intrepid Mapler offering to help them with all of their weird tasks is just two-timing them and has absolutely no sense of loyalty whatsoever. Sorry guys, if you’re going to be in a blood feud you need a little bit of street smarts. Just because someone is wearing your cape doesn’t mean they’re your friend. Cool hideouts, though.

6. IRENE

[​IMG]

Irene is actually not terrible at her job, she’s just part of an economic structure that’s morally indefensible. RIGHT DOWN THE STREET there is the indefatigable Spinel, who can transport you to five different locations, instantaneously, for only 3,000 mesos. Irene (and her co-conspirator, that scraggly pilot) can only move you to one location, and you gotta wait around for the plane, and she charges you 20,000 mesos! Where does she get the gall?

5. WIZ THE LIBRARIAN

[​IMG]

I’ve worked in a library. Books go missing. It happens. But you have to follow up. Wiz pretty much knows where these books are. His library is right next to Korean Folk Town, which is full of people just sitting on books, waiting to give them to whatever traveler is willing to break open the gourd on their roof or walk some stacks of rice across town. Wiz can take five minutes out of his busy day of standing still and looking like an old leather chair to visit his own backyard and get his books back. He does not need every level 37 character in MapleLegends on the case. Sheesh.

4. TEMPLE KEEPER

[​IMG]

What, exactly, is she keeping? That temple is FILLED with all sorts of scary monsters that I do not like one bit and she’s like “oh good thing you’re here to take care of these bad boys for me,” as if she had absolutely no plan whatsoever to take care of the issue herself. This is like Temple Keeping 101: Don’t let a hoard of evil monsters in the temple. Jeez.

3. MR. WETBOTTOM

[​IMG]

Mr. Wetbottom has two issues. One, the VIP Sauna that he runs does not offer any snacks/potions, making it essentially inferior to the Regular Sauna. (Those extra HP gains are basically meaningless and, unless Wetbottom is dishing out some rejuvenating face masks, I’m not going to approve his price point.) But even more problematically, but he has another job: being a father to poor Ronnie. This man’s son has run away from home with his dad’s naughty magazine, and this dude is all “get my magazine back please,” making no mention of his son whatsoever. What is this neglect, you filthy old man?

2. TIGUN THE ADVISOR

[​IMG]

Tigun, is this a joke? First of all, you’re not advising anyone. You’re standing outside the palace. The king and the queen are inside the palace. How do you expect to advise them out there? Second, you’re letting randos in there for a cheap 1k bribe? What’s that cash going to get you, six and a quarter orange pots? Travel to Sleepywood and afford one exorbitant sauna visit? OK Tigun.

1. THE MESORANGERS AS A COLLECTIVE

[​IMG]

So aliens descend on Omega Sector and threaten Ludibrium (and by extension the concept of time as we know it) and the Mesorangers are like “dang, we can’t touch these guys. How about we trust this random level 40 character and his maple bow to handle our top-secret documents and blueprints and take out these aliens that threaten the safety of the known universe?” Neglect on an institutional scale, and then they act all hot and bothered, blaming YOU when it goes wrong. Their fault, not yours. Absolutely no oversight. No accountability. The Mesorangers are garbage.

Best NPCs in Maplelegends, from Least Best to Most Best

10. JEFF, THE DUNGEON GUIDE

[​IMG]

Why give such a bad spot to Glibber and a good spot to Jeff when they sit right next to each other? Simple. Jeff doesn’t sink money into buying inventory because he made up his job. Most areas in Maplelegends don’t have level minimums. You can walk straight into Skeles at level 10 if you want. But Jeff decided to make up some rule that you have to be level 50 to get past him to fight… miner zombies? Word. Jeff found an opportunity to seize some arbitrary power and he took it at no cost to him. Brilliant move.

9. MOOSE

[​IMG]

What’s Moose’s job? I’m not sure. But I love his attitude.

8. KENTA

[​IMG]

Look. A pig, a yeti, and a Jr. Balrog might not look all-that scary to you leet players who’ve hacked the meta or whatever it is you nerds are up to. But for lil ol’ Kenta, keeping those guys in the zoo where they can’t wreak havoc on the rest of Aqua Road is pretty impressive. Solid work.

7. SPINEL

[​IMG]

It’s hard to overstate how brilliant Spinel is. She offers instant, low-cost travel to Maplers and is somehow in dozens of locations at once. Sure, her descriptions of each place are way too long and not all the places she sends you are super useful, but she gets a good place on the list regardless. Everyone knows that efficient public transportation is a cornerstone of democratic society, and Spinel provides.

6. OLAF

[​IMG]

Everyone likes Olaf. Olaf just hangs out in Lith Harbor and gives new players advice and some free stuff and EXP. Solid dude doing the work out of the goodness of his heart to take the weakest among us and improve their lot in life. Can’t say no to that groovy helmet, either.

5. NELLA

[​IMG]

Nella is on the Good List because she’s in the rough-and-tumble world of Kerning City. Normally I’d dock points for trying to pass herself off as a community organizer while making a profit off deficiencies of neighbors, but let’s be honest: life in Kerning is a hustle and Nella is up there with the best of them. She just takes a commission, tells you to gather some whacky stuff, and connects you with rewards. Easy peasy. If you’re wondering, yes: Nella is morally different from Irene, even though Nella doesn’t actually create much in the way of value while taking a profit. Irene works for a large corporation (Singapore Airlines) and is complicit in an exploitative business model that stratifies income as most of that profit trickles upward — the CEO of Singapore Airlines made $4.2m last year (how that converts to Mesos is unclear, maybe Irene is also involved in a little bit of RWT????). But Nella’s just supporting herself.

4. ALCASTER

[​IMG]

Alcaster is living the academic dream. Sure, he misplaced a super-powerful ancient book, but who hasn’t done that? He’s still doing all of his dope magic stuff while maintaining a productive side-hustle selling summoning rocks and all-cures and all that. Sure, his business model would be more sustainable if he would sell to anyone, not just people who finish his hilariously long quest, but it’s 2020, man. You can’t trust just anyone these days (see the Mesorangers), so you might as well use some wild goose chase to figure out who’s worth letting in on your scheme.

3. ROLY-POLYS AS A COLLECTIVE

[​IMG]

This is the model the Mesorangers need to follow. The Roly-Polys, while they don’t deal with monsters that are quite as strong as the ones in Omega Sector, are responsible for the maintenance of a free-standing, 100-story tower and they do it in isolation. Sure, Roly-Poly 10 has a bad attitude (maybe his proximity to the Omega Sector and the Mesorangers has something to do with this), but 1/10 isn’t a bad ratio for such demanding work. The Roly-Polys should unionize to ensure that Mac the Mechanic is giving them the mental health benefits that they need so that more of them don’t end up going down that dark road.

2. ATHENA PIERCE

[​IMG]

I almost included an entry for “The Job Instructors As A Collective,” because we do all benefit from their teaching and wisdom. But…. Athena Pierce is special. Not only does she advise the Noble Class of Archers, she also (sort of implausibly from a timeline perspective but we’ll let it go because more absurd things have happened — see the chipmunk(?) named Moose) was around at the very origins of the Maple world and led the first Maplers (including future job instructors) through the taming of this wilderness. Huge props to Athena’s leadership skills; we wouldn’t be here without her.

1. ADOBIS

[​IMG]

Adobis is the best NPC in this game and he is my best friend in the whole wide world. He has to stand ALL THE WAY OUT THERE IN THE SCARY LAVA with nobody to keep him company and he NEVER COMPLAINS. Never gets to see his family, just does the important work of shepherding brave adventurers into Zakum’s shrine. Amon, his partner, at least gets to watch some gnarly battles while Adobis sits outside all by himself. When we’re getting people to sign for Zak, everyone’s always saying “click the NPC.” His name is Adobis. Show some respect. Ask him about his hobbies. He's a friendly dude once you get to know him, but few ever do. Does he complain? Not once.

Thank you for reading my list. Hopefully this will restore a sense of decency among our NPCs (and encourage Maplers to show Adobis a lil more love).

R> Homies

• Funny x 32
    • Great Work x 15
    • Like x 8
    • Informative x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Creative x 2
  2. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    12:32 AM
    You forgot the most important NPC, Duey. How else are your friends suppose to send you poop?

Edit: whoops you said worst NPC. I would put duey on top 3 best NPC list

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Nedarb

Nedarb King Slime

Apr 5, 2020
    Male
    4:32 AM
    Nedarb
    Beginner
    This is amazing! I love your writing. The Alcaster one was particularly funny. I always find Maple lore so interesting because of how goofy it is. Take the Mesorangers for example... what are they doing? I would love to see a sequel of this someday! Theres more quirky NPCs to be explored!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    This is amazing!

But... are we going to forget about Bartol and how lazy he is?
    In the words of Shulynch DiNautilusHarbor, "So you're here on behalf of Bartol? A lemon... that kid is so lazy, I swear."

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    3:32 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Dude I wish I was this talented at writing. 10/10 content looking forward to more.

I giggled at many points but the funniest has got to be speculations of Irene participating in RWT. Also those screenshots are cute af.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Paladin, I/L Arch Mage, Corsair
    Homies
    When are you going to do a write up of Maple Lore?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    7:32 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    This is the content i lurk the forums for. Keep ‘em coming!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    What about the Rememberer? Let's not even talk about his crusade to kill mushrooms or how he stole bob and defamed you. When presented with a fake snail shell, he can't even REMEMBER what bob looks like.

• Like Like x 3
  9. OP
    OP
    Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    i'm going to have to do installments or something. with an emphasis on the kookier stuff (zenumist/alcando especially, that stuff is bananas)

dang you're RIGHT. such a good call on the rememberer. honorable mention.

10. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    1:32 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    [​IMG]

"SHE"?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
    OnionPanic

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  12. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    10:32 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    This was a candy read for anyone who's done some quests.
    Would love to see more :heart:

13. SiriusPlaque

SiriusPlaque Slime

May 15, 2020
    When you realize Kerning is actually run by powerhouse ladies the likes of Irene, Spinel and Nella.. Not to mention Lakelis.

I’m sure Shumi can accomplish great things too as soon as she stops constantly losing all her money

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    I approve this, thank you for making this thread MapleF15

• Like Like x 1
  15. peachleaf

peachleaf Blue Snail

Jun 6, 2020
    peachleaf
    Cleric
    YOOOOOOO I LOVE THIS! I'd like to bump the Athena Pierce rec because this woman singlehandedly founded Heneseys and raised Kyrin (future pirate instructor), what a BADASS. ALSO, she held on to the first invention Kyrin ever made her as a kid for YEARS UPON YEARS until she came back to Victoria ;n;

On the flip side, MUIRHAT is truly a trash NPC. Sharyl (whale prince on the bottom floor, lowkey hella fine when in human form) asks your lv 10 ass to deliver a pearl he's been growing FOR MONTHS to Kyrin to confess his feelings (which he can't do himself because, y'know, whale on land). Muirhat stops you at the door, STEALS THE PEARL, and makes some flimsy promise that he'll pass along the message (yeah, we all know what that means...)

Fuck you, Muirhat. Man just wanted to shoot his shot and you take that away from him.

(Also, Porter from the Omega Sector -- utterly incompetent. YOU GIVE HIM 3 ROMBOT MEMORY CARDS THAT YOU TREKKED UP A GIANT LEGO TOWER TO FIND AND PAINSTAKINGLY HUNT BUMBLEBEE FROM THE TRANSFORMERS FOR, AND HE /LOSES/ ONE IMMEDIATELY, FORCING YOU TO REPEAT THE ENTIRE PROCESS. Smh no wonder the Mesorangers are so useless, comes from the admin)

• Like Like x 5
  16. denesh

denesh Mano

Aug 3, 2017
    Male
    I saw wetbottoms secret book now my bottom is wet

17. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    petition to add that scammer Mos in Leafre who keeps saying my weapons "didn't work out" then proceeds to take all the materials???

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. HouseAuburn

HouseAuburn Capt. Latanica

Aug 11, 2020
    Male
    Henesys
    The great statesman and patriarch of the Auburn family, Antia Auburn, was inspired by the leadership of Athena Pierce to become a Crossbowman. As my first character back in 2007, he never really made it anywhere. Still, like so many others I owe nearly everything to Athena. May she continue to guide the peoples of the Maple World for many years to come!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    This is the best thread on the entire forum. I'm happy that there are also other comrades here SlimeBlush

The best parts:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1