1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

This thread will be dispelled in 1 second

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by iPippy, Nov 7, 2022.

Some buttons my good reader?

1. Yes please

30.8%
  2. I'll take this one

30.8%
  3. I'll take both of those ^^

30.8%
  4. No buttons for me please

30.8%
  5. I agree to this thread's Terms of Service

42.3%
  6. All your buttons are belong to us

42.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    6:43 PM
    iPippy
    The coin flip for this patch downtime landed on posting a potentially beneficial suggestion for once. :pinkbean:

Today I present to the Great Forum Council a suggestion to rework the mechanics of dispel. Aufhaben specifically highlights some fundamental issues surrounding dispel.

• Multiple classes have buffs which are requirements to survival. Suddenly losing Meso Guard, Magic Guard, and/or the party skill Hyper Body kills over 5+ characters each year. Players must be quick to recast these buffs before they get hit ("perfect frame" as some like to call it), but not TOO quick such as to rebuff before the dispel actually takes effect. While players have adapted in Horntail through various strategies over the years, the dominant strategy is still "Wash until its no longer a problem". HP Challenge(d) characters, specifically mages, will not be able to rely on this powerful strategy, and this issue is only compounded in aufhaben, where all but the healthiest of bishops are banished to the time-out corner, unable to fight.

• Some classes additionally have long rebuff times for a string of critical buffs. Usually this is not an issue when dispels are infrequent (once or twice every few minutes), but this becomes more noticeable in situations where dispels are a common, mostly undodgeable attack. Some classes deal better with this than others in aufhaben. This generally requires one or more of the ability to ignore buffs, rebuff quickly, or prevent most dispels with high avoid, iframe attacks or with meso-draining face-tanking (just ask the epic TTEPICName how much more he spends on potions just to avoid being dispelled). While this leads to an issue with the amount of touch damage dealt to face-tanking warriors such as heroes/paladins with power guard and even possibly a shield (DKLUL), this issue is probably better addressed within the context of class changes and/or defense rework(soontm).

Previous think tanks have suggested to make survival buffs such as Hyper Body, Meso Guard, Magic Guard undispellable. While this may well solve the issue of survival, it leads to a slippery slope of asking for other buffs to be made undispellable. Invincible? ACA? Shadow Star? It also feeds into the ease of muling in any content including aufhaben. Its already pretty easy to mule in aufhaben once you have a squad capable of freeing a slot, and content should be rewarding active participation by mages/dks/sedowers. The idea of dispels requiring user intervention to maintain survival isn't an inherently bad concept, but it leads to an either all-or-nothing approach where these buffs must sometimes not be included into survivability if dispel is a threat.

Congrats on reading the patch downtime rambling this far: your reward is the actual suggestion (and point) of this post MapleF17: retool dispels to set all dispellable buff timers to 1 second, rather than the current instantaneous removal. I suppose the exact number is up for discussion of typical human reflexes, but I believe this would be more than sufficient time to 1. realize a dispel is coming, 2. prepare to deal with it (will may be required), 3. have a small grace period post-dispel before actually losing your buffs. Your buffs will still be gone upon being hit by dispel, unless they are immediately rebuffed. The goal is to provide the ability for an active player to maintain the magic/meso guard mandatory for survival, or in the case of hyper body time for you to either withdraw or get hyper body back. This makes dispels still an immediate threat, especially for your average HP challenge(d) character, but returns some agency back to the player without hopefully making content more muleable than it already is.

I present this article to the masses to tear apart, as all threads should be.

tl;dr: make dispel set remaining buff timers to ~1 second, not 0 seconds.
    :lollipop::lollipop::lollipop:

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    4:43 PM
    Corsair
    would this set my battleship to 1 hp?

3. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    7:43 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    my perspective is that of a bishop player, I believe this suggestion harms gameplay and mostly helps mules.
    dispels have animations and timers that announce them and in content like HT skilled active players can make use of iframes to avoid death. What you are proposing gets rid of this mechanic and replaces it with spamming magic guard during the 1 second of grace. Player skill and sense of danger gone.
    1 second of grace or really any period of grace is too generous and basically makes dispel a very laughable mechanic, plus it's mostly a buff to the mules, the stationary substitutes that can't do more than 'spamming mg' in the face of dispels. Look at the bishop mules in pink bean, with a second of grace or whatever would there even be a threat when Ariel and Right Man dispels are triggered? what's that for a mule with triple magic guard macro. Comfort for the substitutes.
    Bishops ability of survival, whether its skill or HP, is a big part of what makes them desirable for some content and making dispel easy like this lowers the floor too much and gives more field to the hoards of substitutes that would be enabled when dispel is nerfed.
    I care about the viability of my class and for example I can currently run aufheben because I am reliable, some have tried mule'ing a bishop there and obviously without success but with your proposal I can see it happening 100%, rather than helping 'real players'.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    3:43 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    While I don’t disagree with your points, I’d much rather have what separates a good and bad bishop be effectiveness rather than ability to stay alive. Having the skill floor set to “can you stay alive and not grief the run” rather than “can you be a contributing member of the party” is a pretty unforgiving entry point for what’s considered an important but unrewarding role for end game content.

I’d personally like to see a world where staying alive as a Bishop isn’t locked behind excessive washing goals, but being effective and contributing to the run is challenging and something that can be practiced without fear of randomly dying and potentially ending a run.

Even if a first time Bishop had a 0% chance of dying in HT, you would still value a veteran bishop over them due to their practiced skills at performing important duties that are considered vital to the run. Personally I think that’s a healthier way of distinguishing players; obviously there’s the issue of mulability but with good fight design (such as HT) an active bishop still justifies its spot over a mule. I’d rather fights give bishops more things to do and limited windows to do them rather than just trying their hardest to kill the bishop.

just my 2c anyways I think you still have very valid concerns

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    I agree with you but I'm far too pessimistic about bosses design, Horntail is a unique case. If we are talking about pinkbean and aufheben, bosses that don't meet HT standards, the endgame community would rather always mule a bishop than get 'the most effective, the best player, the strongest' because no matter how good or strong you are the class is way to weak and replaceable to justify their presence in endgame PB runs, unless you mule something else.

I'm afraid what keeps bishops relevant in aufheben is their ability of survival rather than their skill or damage, and if beefy bishop mules were common I probably wouldn't even get to play that boss. In an ideal world I would like it to be like what you are saying but I guess I'm currently on side of trying to preserve the little we have rather than enabling mules harder.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    More than fair. I guess my wishes are a bit idealist in nature; in practice what you’re saying is unfortunately true. One can wish though

7. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Hello guys! Wanted to share my thoughts on the suggestion. I think the suggestion is a brilliant idea, and somewhat solves the unresolved issue of aufheben hp on challenge characters (or the average player). I think that the concerns raised by vowels are very legit and not only would we see bishop muled, even HB mules would be very easy to include (i present full luk DK with stance to stay in range for dps). I believe it's a slipery slope as to what can be done about the problem but that's to be expected due to the flawed nature of hp washing as a mechanic. Perhaps as the OP mentioned the defense rework solves the problem but if this is the only boss in which this problem stands (which to my knowledge it is) i think changing the mechanics of this boss fight itself is healthier than changing dispel as a whole. I'm certain there are other ways to make this fight challenging without dispel being a core aspect of it (this way challenge hp is enough)! I confess ive never done aufheben but what would seem obvious to me would be to make sed/dp share a cooldown or atleast when either is done add a 10 sec cd on the other to avoid the possibility to get DP'd while in sed or dp and insta sed as these are scenarios where underwashed characters are leaving their life to complete rng. I think the dispel itself is an attack which means you get iframes after it so this should allow HB/MesoG/MagicG to be casted safely and if it's not, this addition could also be considered.

8. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    4:43 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Core blaze and auf haven are 2 bosses that both stand out as content which contains unique mechanics, but yet while the former has become a well received staple of high level bossing, the latter has become extremely niche content which is almost universally hated and run very rarely.

While part of this is certainly due to the rewards (make auf haven helm not one of a kind kekw), a large factor for this discrepancy is due to the fact that auf haven is both extremely difficult and unfun to run. To make your auf runs viable you need a fairly unique combination of classes and a fairly high bar for washing requirements, and even once you get in you are met with an hour of dispel spam which causes you to be rebuffing a quarter of the time.

I'm guessing the logic behind the dispel spam was to punish NLs due to their long shadow partner cast time, but I think the clone/healing system might already be sufficient for keeping range down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    6:43 AM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Auf Haven has an attack which shoots a big blue orb, upon getting hit by it you get dispelled.
    It seems to be proximity based as well, almost as if she 'senses' players standing on the right side, she will cast the Orb attack more often.

She also has a global dispel which is not an attack, which is cast every 90 seconds, kinda like Horntail's Mid head dispel.

For Warriors or Buccs, one thing they can do to avoid the Orb attack Dispel is when she's about to use the Orb attack (her blue aura behind her will come in front, one can use Rush/Corkscrew blow to tank her damage, kinda like avoiding the totems in Zakum, but with less reaction time.

FYI i use 2000 honsters per Auf Haven run i am losing money every run

• Like Like x 1
  10. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
  11. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    It does seem likely yes, let me render a video to show you how it looks like

• Like Like x 2
  12. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    you can tank the orb but not the global dispel as I could see? but since it's just a single mob (and not multiple mobs like ht), i guess you can just hold magic guard right after global dispel and you won't get another hit?

13. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    12:43 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    There's Auf summons as well at various times, it's best to keep a timer of Auf's global dispel to avoid cases where you are tanking anything at the same time as the dispel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Correct, one of the killer combos would be the Stun+Seduce combo, when that happens, you are unable to move nor use Hero's Will. If a Dispel orb comes while in that scenario + an attack after, Mage attackers will die.

Another scary one is if she walks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Since it can help mules and annoy the gameplay like the main bs said, what if some buffs got a faster cast?

16. flow

flow Slimy

Jan 18, 2021
    Male
    Brazil
    Lisnar, HolyFlow, Theorist
    Buccaneer
    Funk
    That's a good suggestion but about magic guard idk, they can just make hero will works on stuns so mages have more counterplay even without wash?
    But HyperBody and MesoGuard definitely deserve it

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I can counter and say that bishop is viable for HT purely because of its acceptable damage output. If it wasnt, players would have muled it like everything else (to an extreme washed LUK bishop could have been experimented with). All of its other support tools can (and will) be muled the moment it does not have enough damage to practically keep up the highest damage classes. This is what happens in PB and any other content. In a heavy multiclient server endgame, damage is everything and the only thing. Bishop (and even dk) provide some of the best buffs in the game, but outside of HT (and cwk for dk), the damage is not enough to entice endgame players to use one of these classes over yet another NL. Personally, I think PB bishop comes close, but a/m still does everything it can do damagewise but better. Fixing viability for support classes must come from a damage boost (or reduction of literally everyone else, I suppose..). The "cost" of a client is super cheap. And if the skills aren't necessary? Well the class is just removed entirely and replaced with damage.

Aufhaben has a few issues surrounding why few squads exist to run it. Some of those were outlined previously, as being a relatively unrewarding fight that requires a niche comp (typically paladin/bucc/shad/sair centered). Bishops of today will typically spam mg in the corner, until they have ~10k HP. Sometimes wading out to give the team a shield when sed is available, but doing little else without the HP and skill to do more. Bishops of the future will simply be beginner mages, where MG is a bonus, rather than a requirement. Doubt most would go to "tank PB touch w/o mg" levels of wash, but certainly enough to survive in auf long enough to be somewhat useful. After running auf lots of times, I'm actually not entirely convinced that bishop is impossible to mule in auf, just that the overall fight isn't rewarding enough for experienced multiclienters with washed bishops to care, and isn't easy enough for a general audience to survive and get enough impact out of a precious slot. The biggest deterrents to bishop muling in auf are lack of slots to spare and just enough of a bishop death risk (which cant be self-ressed) to warrant not bringing. Some squads will simply forego the bishop for a 6th attacker.

Likewise, the biggest deterrent to bringing most actual bishop players to auf is the lack of damage not befitting an "attacker". The "good" support classes have respectable damage as well, enough to justify being used. But on merit of simply buffs, multiclient drains virtually all "value" of buffs. If PB archer dpm was on the same tier as dk/bishop, it would also enter the mule pile. In fact, that's exactly what was happening as archers swapped to mules during body to use archmages, until changes required filling slots with more resses. It is the fact that bishop does good HT dpm (and that a/m does *too much* dpm) that cements its place on a squad as a player/dual attacker rather than in the timeout corner.

My point here is that bishop player viability shouldn't be centered on the idea of justifying a slot solely because a normal mule will die in "difficult" content. This serves to gatekeep the class by the washed elite, whether main or mule. A change such as this may help mules too, but this would not enable mules more than they already are, especially once washed. This would instead enable players of the class, putting them on a more even playing field, virtually removing the idea of washing away all problems. If survivability is fixed (especially on hp challenge(d) characters, the other half of viability, damage, can be looked at. Then the average HP bishop main may very well be allowed to attack in aufhaben (and ve given enough damage to justify it). Similar logic can apply to DK too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Increased Angel Ray damage when?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    Perhaps maybe her orb dispels could have a longer delay on cast animation or a longer delay on dispel affecting players instead. Whereas map wide dispel could get a higher evasion chance % say 25%.

• Creative Creative x 1