1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    11:01 AM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    If screenshots are not good enough evidence, take a video of the conversation.

like I said earlier. You are responsible for your own words and actions. Private is only private until it’s leaked. Then it’s public.

2. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    2:01 AM
    that is because the companies behind it provide the checks/logs. Is discord going to do the same for legends ban cases?

3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Unless you require video evidence only, it’s still possible for someone to submit doctored screenshots. It’s also possible to fake videos of a conversation as well, tbh, since you can edit what Discord displays using Inspect Element.

4. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    What do you mean, discord screenshots are infallible.
    upload_2023-7-6_21-50-25.png

also video for fun
    https://youtu.be/gWTJUavQGRk

second edit for crayon munchers, these are fake btw

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    It’s really not hard to prove it’s doctored. The defendant can show their side of the conversation if they have nothing to hide. If the reporter prove to be of malicious intent, then they will receive punishment

6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Come join my discord. Let's have a chat.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Assuming staff actually tries to prove the validity of screenshots. That isn't currently part of the process, as far as I'm aware.

8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I'm actually curious if Staff would go through the effort of verifying screenshots and videos of Discord conversations, and if so what their methodology would be.

9. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    If the discord screenshots were faked, then wouldn't it be pretty easy to bring that up in a ban appeal and disprove it with a screenshare?

It's pretty easy to verify discord screenshots - login via incognito browser, refresh, show the chat?

So even if you were banned for fake screenshots, I feel like it wouldn't be difficult to prove your innocence. Then the reporter would also get doubled punishment for a fake report, which I'm not sure someone would be willing to risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    In theory that would work, yeah, assuming you a) know what you were banned for and b) staff goes through the process of verifying the screenshots in a way that absolutely cannot be faked by any means

11. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:01 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Love waking up to a thread that doubled in size while I slept yay~
    Tbh as the longest serving GM currently, besides the correlation with our user count increasing (compared to 2017), changes in ToS have not made a significant impact on the number of reports made. Back then and still now, a lot of people report just because they want to report someone. They don't cite any specific ToS clause, they just say HE HARASSED ME!!!

If regardless of how many lines we draw, the amount of reports are more the same, then what would the consequences of less lines/rules be? I'd argue its staff discretion. Which majority of this thread is already claiming is flawed in its current state. Rules exist not just to police the community, but also to police GMs. I will never say 100% of our bans are correct. GMs are humans and are susceptible to bias, emotional reactions, etc. From my experience, case-by-case with less rules was the worst period for staff. I'm not sure if you remember the whole fiasco about "ALL MEN ARE TRASH" SMEGAs. But because we didn't have a set guideline for what GMs should ban on regarding harassment, a certain GM reacted quite drastically to it, resulting in action, and then backpedaling once other staff members caught onto what had happened. Things like this are always bound to happen, and with more rules it is much easier to restrict individual GMs from exercising TOO MUCH discretion.

*edit: If anything has influenced the number of reports, it's probably the social climate overall. People have gotten much easier to offend, which you probably notice as well in broader society with cancel culture.

1. Would refer to Mirror's post above. We've done this a number of times to verify Discord screenshots. Additionally, if the reported player knows which conversation is in question (which we do cite), they can refute with own conversation history (which can also be verified through the method mentioned above)
    2. How would you ascertain that they infiltrated it for that sole purpose?

P.S. I've noticed the thread has returned to a normal state, but if it does get derailed again, I'll probably make a separate thread for ToS feedback/questions with better guidelines so it can remain mostly about the ToS in its current form, rather than "GM BAD! GM TYRANT! THIS PLAYER DESERVE BAN! NO DESERVE BAN"

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:01 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think the framework encourages people to be more offended than they actually are. tbh people who make and allow for these excessive rules should be the ones enforcing

• Like Like x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just to clarify, this is a bluff. But if you are/were at all hesitant join in my chat in fear of what could be done, that's a pretty spot on representation of how some players might feel regarding ban attempt baiting. You don't know why some people have x amount of warnings/strikes on their account. It could have been from a bad dispute from x years ago, and now you have 3 warnings across all of your accounts. How are you feeling then?

For the record, I personally do not think it's difficult to remain drama free, but I'm at least cognizant of the fact that the more socially integrated you are in the game, the more susceptible you are to it. Sure, some people say stupid things, but some people also get offended easily. People often misinterpret things/situations that weren't even involving them at all.

How does one verify the contents of a chat server that doesn't exist anymore, or one that they don't have access to? How far back does the statutes of limitation go? Can I report someone for something that was said to me 5 years ago in a discord server in conjunction with something that was said to me 5 days ago?

These are all valid points and I'm glad you included the disclaimer for population trend correlation. Maybe it's just me, but as a player that has been around for awhile, I've never felt more the feeling of population decline than within the last few months, and I am concerned about how staff are handling things with the existing player-base in an attempt to lay ground for new players. It's been feeling like a scorched earth approach in hopes of some rebuild for the future.

One counter point I would like to add is that a ban back in 2017 is completely different than a ban in 2023, where a fair amount of players now have several years of time invested into this game and its community. Back in 2017, I doubt there were as many long-time players around like there are today.

I do wonder if there could be a way for people to reduce their demerits over time for prolonged good behavior. This would incentivize being on good behavior and would give some path to redemption.

Honestly, this just sounds like internal mismanagement to me. You can have an internally established set of procedures that don't involve a public facing ToS at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    friends today could be enemies tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    not sure, i have seen people park mule chars and discord that lie dormant in guilds (in-game) and discord.
    I have also heard of players who create alternate discords and act as a new player to spy discord chats. nowadays i am so wary of typing anything in game or in discord that anything that i wanna say. i tell my friends "R>VC". we dont know whos spying on us and this gets worse as u reach end game and end up in the divisory fault lines existing in the community.

16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:01 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    who knows maybe one of your friends is the new GA!!! ^_____^ /s ofc

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    8:01 PM
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    I am pretty sure GM’s doesn’t even present the evidence the accuser is using against the accused. How do you even defend yourself and explain to gms the context and how the ss could be fake or set up exactly so it makes the acusser looks more in the right than what they are.
    - GMs should present evidence of what happen to the acussed, so the accussed can explain themselves instead of having a guessing game waste time and having a race before moderators close the appeal because the accused has no idea what the reason of ban is. The vagueness from GM’s is insane

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    secret police culture, where eyes are everywhere. maybe it will make ppl behave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:01 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I definitely understand the sentiment behind everything you're saying, and that's why we're trying our best to make 3.3.3 as narrow as possible. The most important change (and I want to emphasize we're open to more changes) so far has been the explicit mentioning of:
    • A series of repeated actions or recurring behavior across various platforms or different points in time
    This clarification should gets rid of all the baiting issues mentioned by faelfael and any simple one-off comments. Thereby severely restricting the clause (in theory) to those who are genuinely involved with bullying someone, or have the intent do so. Once again, would like the raise the point that stricter ToS, means it becomes much harder for staff to willy-nilly apply it (which is what is intended with the narrowing of the scope).

Despite these changes, there are definitely valid arguments for completely scrapping 3.3.3 as well of course, and I empathize with a lot of them. Conversely, there are a lot of counter arguments for why 3.3.3 is necessary. Like you said, for a lot of people ML is an extension of their personal life. So when some people feel unwelcomed by the community that they are so ingrained into, due to a repeated and continued behavior by a certain player or players, there should to be some recourse available.

P.S. We could further restrict 3.3.3 to also require de-escalation like we have for the other harassment sections (as of the overhaul). If you believe that could help out with the concerns you have regarding the clause.

Iirc, that would only be his ban record, and does not account for the warnings he received.

I do think the population decline in the last few months are more due to other external factors and the gap we had before the launch of the most recent event.

I would like to explore an idea of demerits over time, but I'm just not sure what kind of metric we'd need to consider for you to receive it.

We do give a pretty detailed run down of what is being accused and the type of evidence we were presented with. This also applies to RWT matters in case you're wondering.

• Like Like x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    8:01 PM
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    To give a quick example of vagueness or discretion. before stalking was actually added to the official ToS the question was what is ToS now I feel like the question is when are you exactly following a person and when are you uncomfortable and what makes sense?
    upload_2023-7-7_9-40-29.png
    if I feel uncomfortable with GM's being invisible in my 5-6F map and I get footage or proof they are in it can they be reported or banned if told to cc.

If you channel-surf maps and do nothing and say nothing and you pass by the same player is that following? And if so is it illegal (stalking) or are you legally watching (investigating)

- With how this rule is worded I can see certain GM's ban players more roughly than others its just super subjective and should be worded more clearly though I can see its nice to make traps like this so you as gm's can ban players you do not like

- and saying you are human and everybody makes mistakes over and over again from gm to gm is honestly starting to sound very cliche or like you are making excuses for making bad bans and justifying them. I think you moderators should be better at clarifying the people that you falsely banned instead of saying completely nothing to save embarrassment from the public the damage you do by falsely banning people is irreversible and could have been prevented if moderators were better at acknowledging they fucked up.

-Arrgh Nise, you cannot be serious here I hard disagree, GM's should just provide evidence. GM's are too vague, cannot be trusted and too passive. Our Maplelegend moderators does not deserve the right to alter evidence so they start banning for more things than what is presented

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 7