1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about new players' well-being

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T2Smile, Nov 28, 2023.

Do you agree new players are getting tougher to reach most of goals than before?

1. Super agree

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Kind of agree

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Neutral

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Kind of disagree

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Strongly disagree

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    11:28 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I think generalizations and stereotypes like this hurt the server just as much as the accusations you’re making. Nobody laughs at anyone for running 6 man Zak, nobody is telling brand new players they have to play hyper efficiently, and nobody benefits from painting end game players as a separate and monolithic entity that’s somehow not connected to the rest of the server. The large majority of endgame players want new players to succeed as much as you do and will go out of their way to help others and stereotyping high level and experienced players as something to ignore or disregard helps no one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    More double stab buffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    2:28 AM
    The negativities tend to be more prominent, overshadowing the positive ones because people seldom talk about them.

I feel that maybe we should have a channel in Discord and the forum to express appreciation for players who have helped us along our journey, spreading more positive vibes throughout the community and letting players know that there are still many friendly people out there. It not only uplifts the spirits of those being appreciated but also creates a culture of kindness and support within the community. Recognising and thanking players who go out of their way to help others fosters a positive and encouraging atmosphere.

But there's also an unfortunate side where bad actors learn who the nice ones are and might take advantage of their kindness. These kinds of individuals consistently ask for favors and guilt-trip you if you reject them.

Personally, I would like to thank IGN: NoMoneyToEat for helping me acquire Infinity and Taunt skills for my Bishop and Shadower for free, even when I intended to pay for the service. I had requested help on two separate occasions, and they were the first to offer help for free, which I greatly appreciated. I'm not saying those who charge for the service shouldn't be appreciated; I'd still feel thankful even if I had to pay.

I am not trying to boast (or am I?! Hehe), but I feel it's a pity that many of these positive messages didn't reach many of those nice people. So, here, I'd like to share some of the snippets I personally received from Discord DMs, giving you hope that there are actually many friendly players out there in the community.

c1.png
    c2.png
    c3.png
    c4.png
    c5.png

The main point is not me receiving the compliments but thanking them for showing positive energy to people who helped them, making the overall experience great for everyone. I've received praises in-game from time to time, and they definitely made my day, even if it's a random fame up, so thank you. Expressing gratitude for those who make a positive impact is more valuable than you think.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/who-is-someone-you-respect-a-lot.49961/

we need more wholesome threads c:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    new players arent even here on the forums...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    2:28 PM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    As someone who APQs regularly, I am very happy with the QoL changes and also the increased EV for my time. It is not only good for someone like me but I already can recommend APQ to anyone else because it is not a waste of time unlike other aspects of this game.

APQ is living its best life, more than ever before.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    Even though i do agree with majority of what you said, your comment is very one-sided.

ive seen people, regardless or time they spent on server, generalize and stereotype. in fact i see it more from older players (purely because there are more of them in forums).

Ive seen people make fun of new players for playing the game on "hard mode." even if its a joke, its made at new players' expense.

you may not promote "hyper efficient" play, but the balance is centered around "hyper efficient" play and the comments made to new players not following efficient play is overall mocked.

if you think people are "painting end game players as a separate and monolithic entity" then on opposite side of the coin, people are painting new players as stubborn, unwilling to learn, and a lot of comments reflect that.

i understand its frustrating when new players enters the forum and requests a change without knowing the full picture (i get annoyed too), but half the comments in response to those is "new players dont even know anything, its fine as it is right now"

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    We were all new players at some point. Meaning it is up to the individual to form their own mindset and playstyle and even choose to consider playing more.

Where things fall apart is when they think they can do whatever they want and it usually ends badly. This is the case he is trying to make.

The average new player doesn't last more than 120 days from my experience.

Even then, they struggle to continue past if they decide upwards of 6 months.

This information would never be disclosed but as someone who plays alot this is what I have noticed.

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I think both sides have merit. While it's true that toxicity/mocking does exist (in all communities, not just "end game" communities), the point I was trying to make is that stereotyping and creating divides helps nobody and, although they may express it poorly at times, most people genuinely do care and want the server as a whole to succeed. From my own personal experience, most new players that I directly interact with are eager to learn and open to suggestions, and I generally try to make suggestions based on their own playstyle (I have told numerous players to not even bother with washing and just have fun, and I've also given guidance to others on how to wash to 30k, depending on if they want to know or not).

If we are speaking towards changes we'd like to see to help promote the new player experience, one of the ones I would personally like to see is less demonizing of endgame players. I know many of them who are incredibly kind and helpful (many of them even taught me!) and kind of just grouping them all together as a community who just forces new players to play a specific way and mocks them if they don't comes across as disingenuous.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    Thank you for chipping in, Pasta. I agree that reward should be proportional to level of the character.

I think KPQ and LPQ is very important to the health of the server. A lot of new players come to play, and what many of them look forward to are the PQs. It's very discouraging when there's no one at KPQ and LPQ, as I've heard from many new players.

I think it'd be great if PQ rewards were somehow buffed that even older players would find it "worth" to play PQs, but that seems so impossible given how profitable other things are. I'm not smart enough to even start giving suggestions off top of my head. what kind of untradeable item would encourage even older players to join in? i dont know. i do think giving more valuable scrolls (even a low chance of 30% scrolls?!) would be a good start though.

I think there are some other ways to make it easier for new players to do PQs though. I think letting people know if there's a party inside the PQ already would be helpful so people know they just have to wait to join that party. Another idea is making a LPQ/KPQ/etc pings on discord that people can sign up for. Or somehow making a "sign up sheet" in the game itself, (which, admittedly, is VERY custom, but maybe its worth it? one could argue that having to rely on discord is even MORE "custom" in a way)

EDIT (because i dont want to spam): agree 100% with what mr. rat said above

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    You'd be surprised how many of the playerbase does not use discord.

It's actually very high lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    yah i believe that, especially new players i'd imagine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    if a rich guy is earning 30m/hr, and a new guy is earning 10m/hr.
    they both decide to bid for an item, who do u think is gonna win the bid?

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    whichever one has more shadowers obviously

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:28 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the guy who wants it more

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    they're gonna get fake bid up and no one's getting anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    im a lil confused....are you suggesting its unfair that richer players have more purchasing power???

18. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    7:28 PM
    After all these posts, I changed my vote to neutral. At least to answer the specific question that I raised up.
    He raised a question that doesn't make much sense. In his defense I'll raise some related questions that he might want to ask:

1. Is it fair that new players' income could be way less than old players'? (10m/h vs 30m/h)
    2. When new players' purchasing power is way less than old players', is it relatively harder for new player to make progress than under the conditoin that less income gap between old player and new player?
    3. Does old player commonly has a similar demand in market like new players that make new players harder to buy things that relatively more urgent to them?

19. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:28 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    1. new players lack in knowledge and infrastructure and can actually catch up within 1-2 months on an income basis
    2. being an old player doesn't mean they're endgame or make 30m/h
    3. endgame players demand different goods than new players

what matters in the game is a lot of the time things are cumulative and that's why it's important not to compare to some old player who's been here since the dawn of time

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Knowledge and infrastructure are both incredibly important. Infrastructure refers to the characters you have available, the gear they’re equipped with and the levels they’re at, how much they have washed, and the prequests they’ve completed and the skills they’ve learned, but to a certain degree it can also refer to the connections you’ve made and the communities you’re part of, and the runs and hosts you have access to and conversely the runners you have access to. It’s kind of an all-encompassing term for the resources you can access.

• Agree Agree x 3