1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Either make multi-computer boss multiclienting bannable, or revert the multiclienting restrictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Selquin, May 27, 2020.

what to do?

1. Ban all boss multiclienting

2. Make boss multiclienting unrestricted

3. Keep it as it is right now(multiple computer allowed)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Descryptor

Descryptor Blue Snail

Mar 5, 2020
    Male
    11:20 AM
    Descryptor
    Shadower
    Winterfell
    reffering to dexbuccs / lukpallys

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    4:20 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    My problem with this though is that it seems like Kimmy and the rest of staffs goal was to include newer/lower leveled players by removing muling in bosses. Cwk is probably the best option of “bossing” a player can get until they get to HT. Except the problem is that if you’re a new player you likely have 0 mules and like law said previously if you’re a shad/warrior/mage (yes mages can be viable in cwk bishops not so much) with 0 mules good luck getting into a cwk run. People smega all the time R> x job with y signs and it’s all over discord as well. NT is higher leveled so it’s probably not as important for low leveled players yet but it’s completely overrun with mules. People will frequently bring multiple characters just for the coin reward on completion. Toad is much less important but coming from the viewpoint of a DK I’ve seen many people just fill the slot with an hb mule because it’s easier to fill that way. I’ve never done BGA myself but i don’t see why a couple NLs couldn’t just bring an SE mule instead of finding an archer. I’m sure somebody else can provide more info on BGA all i know is people bring max holy shield bishops to avoid the stuns. This to me goes against what I believe was staffs intention of including all players because anytime a mule is used that’s one less player included.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    1:20 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    How many parties do you think go through expeditions every day? Not very hard to find patterns in expedition lists that would then get monitored for suspicious activity, to which the strict enforcement would be enacted across all accounts involved. It's not like someone's making secret mules every day. The people who are multiclienting in bosses are known. Their mules are known. Don't act like this is hard to track and verify.

You don't need a perfect, immutable system for preventative policy to be effective. GMs are there to look over the activity and it's in their ultimate judgment whether to enforce it or not. This uncertainty alone is enough to drive 99% of the (small) population away from the risk of overstepping and trying to 'cheat' the system.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    9:20 AM
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    I take it you've never had an account falsely banned on this server?

EDIT: Even if GMs decide to ban players based on their projected likelihood of running a particular boss with their friend, I think about the only thing that's going to do for some people is get them to try to dissociate themselves from their friends, or avoid bossing perhaps. Oh, and stop most(!) multi-clienters, presumably. At least, the not-so-determined or already-compromised ones.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    That's entirely the point. If the policy at its current states prevents 99% of the population from behaving in an unfavorable way, then it has been proven successful. There's only so much that Kimmy and the team can do to run the server in line with their vision. If some bad actors manage to slip through the cracks by playing in extremely unconventional ways with hidden identities, then so be it. The goal isn't perfection, and that's not the problem being questioned in this thread.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    That is the problem being questioned in this thread, though. Allow me, for the second time now, to quote the last part of the OP's original post:

And in light of this, I find it unacceptable that you are just willing to put up with any number of false positives, so long as the number of (detected or undetected) positives decreases somewhat. C.f. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone's_ratio. Even in this kind of self-admitted imperfection (mostly talking about false positives here, but also false negatives as well), you are willing to use this strategy to somewhat act as a crutch for what is actually the fault of poor game mechanics...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    2:20 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    For the record, my stance on the matter is that if boss MC is made bannable, the possibility of being banned is enough to deter MC attempts by pretty much everyone. I doubt many people would attempt to boss MC at all, given the extremely skewed risk reward. I doubt there would be many cases of accused boss MC, and I doubt anyone would get falsely banned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    How so? The only way to actually detect MCing is by correlating boss runs. So PCs that do bosses with one another often enough are suspicious, and that's it. You don't see how that leads to false positives? My entire point of commenting on this thread was to say that this is the only method, because technological enforcement is hopeless (and indeed, actually counterproductive by making the game more P2W).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Lol. This isn't civil law. This is a private server. Kimmy could ban somebody/an account without any reason, and they'd have no choice but to accept it as that. As much as you want to believe otherwise, this is an autocratic state, not a democratic one.

And this is contained to a population of about 2000 active players.
    You're speaking with hyperbolic assumptions in hypothetical situations that don't really apply to this server.

Edit: With your questions above, it's becoming obvious that you've never run mules in a boss.

10. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    I realize all of those things and I'm merely suggesting what they should do. You are doing the exact same thing: making suggestions to a dictatorship.

Is that so? Because I've played at least two other MS private servers that I know of that consisted of a population that was, in significant part, refugees that had been falsely banned/punished by this server.

11. OP
    OP
    Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    I mean I suppose there is no surefire 100% way, but it really is not that hard to distinguish between a unique player and a mule. If you simply spectate an HT run, it will be painfully obvious. If the character in question is a unique player, you can talk to all the people they have interacted to in the past, or look at their level history, etc. Of course you can say that someone could create a fake identity for themselves and get past these measures, but it seems like way too much effort to save a couple mins on boss run that could potentially get you banned.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    Again, I never said that there is no one out there that is sufficiently stupid to get caught. But I would also point out that multicontrollers are not exactly difficult to come by (I've even made one myself, albeit not for the purpose of playing MS; it comes down to basically just teeing controller inputs and dumbly automating a few things here and there)... so anyone that is used to using one, is not so likely to be "painfully obvious"! These are basic techniques I'm talking about here!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    These mythical masterminds you are thinking of simply do not exist in legends. Perhaps if the game was bigger things would be different, but current there is no one willing to go that far. Remember that this is a private server of a 2003 mushroom game, the people here are not as advanced as you think.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    What do you mean? Haven't you seen the video of the guy multiclienting sweeper muling with his toes?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    You misread everything I just said. My statement was specifically to state that this is basic stuff; you need to be the opposite of a mastermind to figure it out (although all the more power to you if you are a mastermind...). I'm specifically talking about servers of "2003 mushroom games" and other MMOs like it, in which Joe Schmoe is already adept at these sorts of things. Take Toontown (also 2003), for example. Multiclienting is commonplace there, and the most advanced of them control 8 PCs at once (although more typically, average players are only on 2 or 3, of course).

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. OP
    OP
    Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    You assert that this is "basic stuff", I assert that you are living in some fantasy world where everyone is a mastermind tryhard. It's your word against mine, so there is no point in debating this any further. I will let the readers decide which one of us is the nutjob.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
  17. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    I don't know what to tell you other than: many people who don't know what "graphics drivers" is in reference to, and who cannot troubleshoot their most basic technical issues, are still the ones using these programs. If that's my word against yours, then fine. There's nothing complicated about any of this, and if the people arguing with me in this thread are representative of MapleLegends's playerbase as a whole, then I admit that I am wrong, and they are all imbeciles. So be it --- my original point still stands.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  18. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    4:20 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    To me the funny part here is you are someone with no experience in multiclienting and doesn't really have a stake in the fight but wants to show up to prove your intellectual superiority for some reason.

I'll just say that the GMs have demonstrated before they have the ability and capacity to link who is using multiple characters and which characters they are. Back in the days when vote abuse was a thing it was abundantly clear, as is the fact that account sharing can be detected and accordingly punished. And those are much more subtle methods of "cheating", multiclienting in bosses is very transparently obvious. If false positives from such bans show up- so what, there are ban appeal channels which are constantly monitored and followed up with quickly.

I don't even get why this argument is worth pursuing for 1 and a half forum pages, it's barely relevant to the issue at hand

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm now formally requesting a temporary lift on the multiclienting ban because I now want to see a 1-man HT by someone running 6 clients concurrently. How many graphics drivers and RGBs would one need to accomplish this task?

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    if we want to help out new players can we get 12 hour timer back for ht

• Funny Funny x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.