1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ensuring new players know ToS: Maple Island Quizzes?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thedgafclub, Jan 17, 2021.

Should ToS questions be included in Maple Island quizzes?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, they should be shown elsewhere (please provide suggestions)

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No, this is unnecessary

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    1:28 AM
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    So throughout this event, I've encountered a lot of new players while farming presents at HHG2. For the most part, it's been really fun! However, I do feel awkward every time I have to explain to some what @mapowner is, why it's not okay to loot on other peoples' maps, why you can't KS, etc. It's even worse when me or my party members end up having to report a few players because they just didn't care about what we had to say or were being blatant jerks despite learning the rules of the server.

I was thinking there should be an easier way to ensure that new players can understand and acknowledge some of the more critical parts of ToS (map ownership, scamming/gambling, RWT, etc.) and I think that integrating some Q&A into the Maple Island quizzes might be a good solution.

A couple examples:
    1. "How do you find out who's the owner of a map?"
      A) Type @map
      B) Type @mapowner
      C) Ask the people on the map
      D) There is no such thing as a map owner
    2. "If you are NOT the mapowner you can:"
      A) Kill monsters in the map
      B) Loot drops in the map
      C) Both A & B
      D) None of the above

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Creative Creative x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:28 AM
    Moderator Post
    The quiz is done over at MapleRoyals and in my opinion it's not a great success - People constantly go to their discord ask people to give answers to the quiz, and it's a huge issue for something you say yourself - the language barrier. Let's say you don't know English well and you get this custom quiz thrown at you. Will you just randomly press answers or actually learn things?

I do agree though that mapowner is a custom addition as well as there being trouble from time to time. The bigger issue is the fact you as a high level even have to be at that place to begin with, which is a problem with the event balance itself.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 3.00.21 AM.png
    She's waiting for new dialogue/quiz. :D

EDIT: I remember the time that I had about 540k vote nx saved up to HP wash, had attacked Mano but didn't "kill a monster" in between smacking the huge snail someone came over killed a snail and claimed mapowner which I didn't even know the mechanics around it was, until after I've read the ToS again back last year around April~May.

I'd agree on having a custom quiz like that and if a language barrier is an issue, then idk how people would do Rain's quiz in Amherst.

4. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    4:28 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    i agree with ducktales here, saying that language barrier is an issue means that unless u know english, u should not play maplelegends as we do not offer in other languages.

you can also offer a note once after completing the custom quizzes to provide translations on the mechanics - if languages is such an issue

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Don't understand why an almost end-game char player is farming event stuff in HHG2 when theres way better maps to farm event items for their specific lvl with profitable ETC + exp farming.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    where's a better place i wonder? hmmm

ohh yeah, pp1
    [​IMG]

(don't kill me pls this is juz a joke)

7. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Burnt Lands 5

8. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    went to both pp1 & burnt lands 5 b4, prefer pp1 for the flat land :DD

9. OP
    OP
    thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I've been at HHG2 on my newer characters :--(

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    4:28 AM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I don't know if a quiz is the best method but the game doesn't really inform you of the commands when you start. I found out about a lot of the commands 40 or more levels into the game due to discord.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    7:28 PM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Map owners need some sort of way to prevent this situation from happening, for those that either forget part of the rules (albeit an important one in this case) or people that just don't care for the rule. You could add another command & have it work for everyone NOT in the party (since most maps this is needed on have single parties & it's not needed on bosses/expeditions with multiple parties).

I have 2 suggestions for a hypothetical command that would prevent people outside of the party from trolling map owners:
    - completely disallow anyone outside of the party from damaging or looting mobs, & when said person tries damaging a mob, write a message like "This map's owner is preventing you from damaging monsters, type @mapowner for more info/read section X.X of MapleLegends Rules ".
    - allow owners to set damage reflect on every mob on the map for people who aren't in the party. This may sound extreme and super custom, but would remain a last resort ONLY to be used (by map owners) for the super toxic people who continue to do it intentionally (either in abuse of the current nature of the game or otherwise.) People who read and follow the rules get to laugh at those who don't as they end up killing themselves & get sent back to the nearest town. Obviously it'd be unreasonable to allow this for things like Maple Island, Boss & Expedition maps.

This would allow LESS work for admins as they would be able to deal with @mapowner issues quicker, they could just point out the specific section of the rules instead of needing to explain it manually & then trust that user would follow the rules. This could streamline the game for those that both read the rules and the people that enforce them through reports via @gm tickets. In many cases, map owners don't want anyone outside the party damaging or looting from mobs & I think an additional command could help.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    This is basically @Mapblock which I've suggested in the past, but people didn't like it.

• Creative Creative x 2
  13. Tobenism

Tobenism Slime

Dec 25, 2020
    Male
    3:28 PM
    ◕`ω´◕
    [​IMG]

plz dont make Rain ask weird stuff like some pro ML gatekeeping at town entrance deciding which noob gets to leave Maple Island.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Rain quiz:

"Is HP Washing optional in MapleLegends?"
    [ ] Yes
    [ ] No

Me: *sweats*

15. bj

bj Slime

May 30, 2018
    Male
    2:13 PM
    CastieI
    Cleric
    Influence
    Maple tip?

Correct me if I am wrong cause I am one of those that don't read mapletips much but some of the commands feature do show up. It's accessible to everyone.
    Furthermore, if you don't read maple tip, you are very likely to skip reading on quests too, so adding such quests would be little use + like mentioned, language barrier.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. wanpi12456

wanpi12456 Timer

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Taiwan
    PrEP
    Paladin
    Beaters
    Please don't use a quiz.
    Language barrier is a large issue.
    I will just write down the answer order and do it by those number.

How about just show some important ToS after new char enter maple island ?

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Yes some commands do appear in maple tip but there are a lot of random tips that you can go a long time without getting that one. I seem to get the "not all tips are useful" and "smoking kills" ones a lot. I rarely see any command based ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    The mapletips are 100% randomized.

19. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Ones I see ALL the time.

[Maple Tip] Always be careful what you sell to NPCs or players and for how much. Accidental sold items do not get refunded.

[Maple Tip] MapleLegends promotes streamers for free! More information on the forums!

[Maple Tip] Did you know Shadowers can use Boomerang Step off hills in MapleLegends? All skill changes can be found on the forums!

[Maple Tip] If you feel something suspicious is going on, always report it to staff. Better safe than sorry.

[Maple Tip] Know someone trying to sell/buy items for Real World Currency? Report it in private to MapleLegends Administration and you’ll be rewarded if the report is valid.

[Maple Tip] Smoking kills, even as a Mapler.

[Maple Tip] Not all tips are useful.

[Maple Tip] Meet Lakelis in Kerning City to begin the Kerning PQ. (3-6 players; lv. 21-30)

[Maple Tip] If you have any feedback or suggestions, please post them on our forum.

[Maple Tip] Cosmetic items bought with Donor Cash are permanent.

[Maple Tip] Earn extra Vote Cash by being a loyal voter. All details can be found on the forums!

[Maple Tip] Always assume rumors are false, rather than assuming they’re true!

[Maple Tip] Consider purchasing a friendship or couples ring for a friend or significant other in the Cash Shop.

[Maple Tip] Party Questing involves teamwork, which can be frustrating for some people. Do not take rude players personally.

Ones I rarely ever see.

[Maple Tip] (something about giving hugs and kisses in MapleLegends is safe)

[Maple Tip] (something about @mapowner)

[Maple Tip] (something about staying safe from corona)

[Maple Tip] (Something about gambling is rigged and to only do it at your own risk)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The ones in red should be shown more, even if they're randomized.

I'm pretty sure if mapowner and RWT/RMT [Maple Tip]s reoccur more often it would be taken more seriously to the ones that don't even read the ToS/T&C.

Most [Maple Tip]s aren't even as useful like this one
    [Maple Tip] Not all tips are useful.

Because to be real, all tips are useful. They keep you out of sticky situations.

20. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Maybe a note that informs them of commands, a pop up when they leave maple island, or have it included in other dialogue. You can never make everyone read it but its more likely to go unknown when it isn't presented at all.

• Agree Agree x 1