1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevent Speed Infusion from being overwritten by Booster

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by geospiza, Jul 20, 2020.

1. geospiza

geospiza Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Apr 16, 2020
    9:09 AM
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    I had a chance to party with a Buccaneer with Speed Infusion (SI) recently. SI gives +2 weapon speed which feels great when using a slow weapon like a pole arm or spear. My weapon booster in comparison gives +1 weapon speed. I was surprised that SI was overwritten by booster, since it is the better skill.

Speed Infusion boosts weapon speed (+2) for 110 seconds at level 1 and 200 seconds at level 10. Pole Arm Booster boosts weapon speed (+1) for 200 seconds at level 20, which is also consistent with boosters for all classes.

It would be nice for SI to take priority over weapon booster since the +2 weapon speed is better for dpm and booster can be cast at any time by a player.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:09 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    If I'm not mistaken, Booster gives +1 until lvl 10, and then +2 from the on. SI gives an ADDITIONAL +2, but the way it's coded in ML it gives a +4 weapon speed boost. Which is why a DK using a sky ski goes from normal (6) > fast (4) with booster > faster (2) with SI.

As for how it works on ML right now: If you have booster on and then SI is cast, SI will override booster currently. However, casting booster AFTER SI will override it.

What you are suggesting (in case there was a confusion): Is so that even if you cast booster AFTER SI, it shouldn't override it yeah?

3. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    Ah, so the way that weapon speed works is more involved than I imagined. It definitely matches my experience of going from slow > fast with a heavy weapon.

Yes, this is a clear summary.

4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I will shed a single tear the day this is implemented. Not a tear of joy, but a tear of sadness, because when this happens the speed infusion that we all know and love will likely no longer supercharge our mages.

5. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    I've only experienced SI once while training, so I have a limited understanding of the broader impact here. I'm unclear on how SI affects mages differently than a warrior, unless Spell Booster is different somehow?

6. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Mages use "spell casting" rather than "weapon speed". You can use a slower (9) idk if that even exists, but still cast the same speed as any wand/staff. It's cus it's normalized to all be the same. SI boosts specifically "weapon speed", so in original versions of MapleStory, mages never benefitted from SI.

Also, SI was never supposed to "override" booster. It simply adds onto it. So it becomes +2 + 2, rather than replacing it entirely as a +4. So if your class doesn't have booster (like a bishop), you shouldn't see any benefit from SI. But touching back to the first point, none of the mages should benefit from SI since it only targets "weapon speed". It's a known bug and why Akash says it'll be tear of sadness.

7. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    12:09 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    while you're at it . can make it so si dont expire fast when u accidentally use booster?

8. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    6:09 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Naw all boosters (except for mage booster) give the same speed at any level, while it's +2 until lvl 10 and +3 from then on for spell booster.

If si becomes stackable (giving 2 speed), that'd be a buff for arch mages (+5 speed in total instead of +4) and a nerf for bishops (+2 speed instead of +4). It won't matter for any other job

9. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Ah I mixed up how spell booster works & weapon booster. Thanks for the correction!

But, for spell booster, its an INCREASE TO 2, and therefore its a +1 until lvl 10. Then an in increase TO 3, so +2.

https://ayumilovemaple.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/maplestory-attack-speed-reference/

It's how booster 1 (1-10) increases by -210ms, which is the same as booster 2 (10-20). If 1-10 gave +2, then 10-20 (booster 2) should only increase by around -105ms

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Oh wow you're right! I never read the "to" instead of "by". So level 10-20 spell booster is the same speed increase as any level weapon booster. We learn something new every day :)

11. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    So is this more of a fix to Speed Infusion? The way is suposed to be is +2 speed stackable with other boosters. How is it now is kind of the same spot as booster so using SI will take over booster but because the game kinda thinks is the same buff the time doesn't refresh; for example if you have 10 seconds left of booster and a Buccaneer uses SI on you you will see the SI buff full (with a lot of time on the right corner with all the skills) but it will actually only last 10 seconds, so you will see the buff vanishing leaving you with no attack speed buff at all, so this is anoying. If what is wanted to fix this thing, is ok sice is the only reason why SI is skinda anoying to work with specially if you don't get any benefit from it.
    Making SI work as intented in the game would change a bit, for better or worst depeding on your opinion. A lot of ppl say that magic booster is +2 and when its lv 11 or over its +3, I'm not 100% sure about that but if its a thing that would be a buff to archmages. This would also be a big nerf to Bishops if they use a SI mule or often have a Buccaneer on their bosses since is the only class that has no booster and are getting more than they should get(would go from 4 down to 2). Would be also a miniscule "nerf" to Buccaneers as they would need to booster too but aye you already have barely any buffing skills so that wont matter too much since most of your skills are pasive or active. A slight "buff" to the rest of the jobs since many ppl have to unbind booster since they automatically press it when its binded, or is on a macro and at times is anoying if the Buccaneer isn't constantly buffing you with SI (like most heros can't keep up rage up all the time).
    These are my thoughts have fun!

• Like Like x 2
  12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    No. It will be a massive nerf to mages. SI will be changed to not increase their cast speed at all.

13. OP
    OP
    geospiza

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    My intent wasn't to propose a massive balance change, just a small quality of life change. There is more than one way to code a behavior; preventing booster from overriding SI doesn't necessarily need to affect anything related to spell casting speed.

It low-key sounds like a nice feature for mages to get casting speed buffs from SI, especially since they don't seem to get action in the bossing arena. If this bug was introduced with the Smart Buff System in March 2019 (far before my time), it seems reasonable to consider this a feature and part of the current meta kind of like HP washing. A major change should be carefully thought out.

14. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    We could make it still affect spell cast speed. I don't mind if Bishop gets nerfed, at the end of the day is the best class in the game isn't it? Best class to start with, best class to make mesos as, super easy to grind with, super useful in bossing and mandatory in HT.

• Great Work Great Work x 1