1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirate Unlimited Corsair Works - A Comprehensive Corsair Guide

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by akashsky, Dec 22, 2019.

1. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    10:47 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    In my experience many of the drk don’t want to run NT because the drops typically don’t outweigh the pot costs and the exp isn’t that great so there’s no incentive to join. Personally I only do NT if a friend needs a clear and beyond that I very rarely touch any of it besides the PQ. It’s pretty sad imo because NT bosses have actual mechanics that make them engaging and interesting to fight.

To Eris: if you want to run NT then either make a level 100 dk hb mule like most other NT runners or wash enough to survive without HB.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    7:47 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Bumping this as I have added some new updates.

I cleaned up the format a bit and added the "avoidability meta" as part of miscellaneous tips.

In the future, I hope to finish the boss section by adding something for every boss in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Teaddict

Teaddict Mushmom

Jan 17, 2020
    Female
    3:47 PM
    Kamairi
    Hero
    At some point I'd like to make a ranged attacker, and I would really like for it to be a corsair. I used to play one ages and ages ago and it was easily one of my favourite jobs in Maple.

The clunkiness of the battleship mechanic and lack of party buff makes Bowmaster look pretty attractive however, especially after reading your HT journal. The making of this character is a while away however as I just recently got my first character to lvl 135 and ready for bossing.

I would love to read more in-depth bossing information such as what you wrote for Horntail, and I have no doubt that would help me make a decision.

4. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Well i think the choice is somewhat easy to make based on what matters more to you.

Corsair heavily outperforms bowmaster in all content except horntail, cwkpq*, and maybe castellan toad. By heavily, I mean that if you are comparing corsair and bowmaster dps, corsair easily wins.

At cwkpq, corsair does more dps than a bowmaster, but a strong bowmaster / archer is mandatory to complete the PQ. So, in terms of usefulness at cwkpq, bowmaster comes out on top (though corsair still does VERY, VERY WELL at cwkpq).

The main issue in maplelegends is that the only two pieces of worthwhile bossing content are horntail and cwkpq. Every other content doesn't really give the same level of rewards.

Horntail is significantly better than cwkpq (in terms of both exp and mesos per hr), and cwkpq is significantly better than every other bossing content in the game (in terms of mesos per hr).

So, objectively speaking, if the goal is to use end game bossing content to farm mesos, bowmaster is the superior end game class.

Furthermore, it is significantly easier to host / start runs if you are a bowmaster. Since SE is usually the backbone of most bossing expeditions.

I would personally still choose to main corsair, however, because corsair can also do the same content (just like a bowmaster can) and is more complex to play.

5. sarysa

sarysa Slime

May 2, 2020
    Female
    sarymage
    Bishop
    I'm currently leveling a Gunslinger and I have to ask...why do you recommend going strless? At that level, the current gun seems to make an immense difference in terms of damage. I was stuck with the lv40 gun until level 55, then hit 60 (had bought the gun in advance to be safe), +6'd that gun and +2'd a glove (+16 watk from that and +16 watk from gun difference) and my damage nearly doubled from 55 with the unscrolled 40 gun.

Right now I have 50 base str. Should I start just putting str enchants on things now to keep my gun current so I don't end up burdened with a huge AP respec bill later?

6. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    This is a common misconception that new players have.

In order to fully understand why strless is superior, we have to understand first why str builds are so weak (in the early game).

Your damage is something along the lines of:
    (Primary Stat + Secondary Stat) * Weapon Attack / 100, where primary stat is dex*3.6, and secondary stat is str.

So this means that having more DEX will always be better for your damage, because it has a higher multiplier than STR.

Now, the next thing to keep in mind is that there exist high level guns that have no STR requirement - Maple guns. There are lv 35, lv 43, and lv 64 maple guns. They give the same if not better attack than your normal STR guns, except they require no STR to wear.

As a result, a STRless player can use one of these maple guns, while having 4 base str. The strless player will have the same attack as you, but will also have ALOT more dex, hence do more damage. This is why strless is the preferred build (assuming you can get access to the maple guns, which to be honest are fairly cheap).

As for your situation, I would just not add any more str and keep playing as is. Yes, your character is currently weaker than it should be, but in the long run it doesn't matter since you would eventually add more base str to wear your end game gun.

You should be able to get enough STR from your gear (combined with your 50 base ) to wear a lv 100 gun easily.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sarysa

sarysa Slime

May 2, 2020
    Female
    sarymage
    Bishop
    I'm definitely a new player, with this being my first character, so those maple guns were definitely above my pay grade. I didn't even turn around the pots expense (subsisting mainly on pots from quest) until maybe mid 30's. I've been card hunting for awhile which has helped bring in some sorely needed funds, but I guess the damage is done.

[edited out a paragraph, I should've read equipment progression lol]

• Like Like x 1
  8. DingleDonkey

DingleDonkey Red Snail

Mar 8, 2020
    Male
    8:47 AM
    DingleDonkey
    Buccaneer
    Is it possible for you to add screenshots of your gear/range/stats? By the way I'm a big fan of your guide. Thank you for making it really informative, detailed, and helpful!

9. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I'm not gunna add this to the main guide because I don't think its too relevant, but this is my current range.
    upload_2020-5-8_20-26-54.png

Gear:
    Weapon 117 att 7dex
    Cape 12 att
    Glove 15 att
    Shoes 22 avoid
    Helmet 21 str, 25 dex 6 slots
    face: 7 dex 9 avoid
    specs: 2str 1 dex 2 speed 3 slots
    earrings: 10 dex
    HTP 23 str 22 dex 40 avoid
    rings are standard, tier 10 MB ring +10 all stat, elin forest ring is +1 all stats, other 2 rings gunna expire but they give me +5str/+5 dex combined.

10. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Updated DPS comparison to account for new corsair buffs. I have put corsair free fire dpm ratio at 55% since that's the highest I've achieved post buff.

I do still think that 60% is possible, but until I actually achieve it I won't be noting it down as realistic. One thing to note is that corsair's now potentially have higher DPM in horntail than bowmasters, but they still do fall behind nightlords by a fair margin.

The upside of corsair, however, is that having 1 on the squad makes the run less dependant on sharpeyes and makes it safer in case the bowmaster dcs or dies.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Fancyx3

Fancyx3 Blue Snail

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    I/L Mage, Corsair
    Hi, I just want to clarify as well as I want to start a Corsair soon but never hp washed before. So after step 2, I'm supposed to put my fresh points from level up into dex except for 1 point that goes into hp where I'll go minus mp plus hp until I supposedly hit my goal hp? Also, it doesn't matter when I wash the 330 ints out? So I don't need to complete step 3 before starting to wash out the extra mana for hp? Sorry, I am just a bit confused, thank you so much for your time and for this detailed guide :D.

12. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Yes to your first statement, except if you plan on mp washing. In that case you will first get to your INT goal, then use fresh APs on MP.

Leaving 1 AP / MP in the HP/MP pool is good because it lets you use ap resets to convert MP into HP.

It does matter when you reset your base INT out. You want to reset it out only after you have gained enough extra MP to get to your HP goal. Once you wash out your INT, your capability for gaining further MP is greatly reduced.

Yes, you can start gaining extra HP at any time, provided that you have extra mana.

13. Fancyx3

Fancyx3 Blue Snail

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    I/L Mage, Corsair
    So this is what I am getting :) please check if it is correct.

Goal: 16750 hp

Steps:

Add ints until level 65 = 330 base int if you have 10 base int at level 1. As 64x5 = 320

Starting at level 65 add all points to mana until 108 where you should save a single point to add to hp. As 43x5 = 215

Wash out the 214 points in mana from level 65-108 back into dex.

From then all fresh points go into dex.

Hp Wash that 1 point we added in hp at lvl 108 by -mana +hp until you reach your goal, it is then you can reset that one point back into dex.

Reset base ints at level 160 back into dex.

So we are assuming we will have 16750 hp by level 160 once all the washes are done?

14. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Hey Kash$, do you think buffing Corsairs to receive the standard amount of Avoid from their DEX (0.25 is it?) would be fair? How much would it improve your dodge % in bosses?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Yup all seems good.

If we got standard amount of avoid, an end game corsair (with ~1200 dex) would gain an extra 150 avoid. It would boost my dodge rate by about 30%. I personally don't think it's too needed at the moment due to the generous battleship cannon buffs we received.

That being said, I certainly would have much preferred an avoid formula change over the battleship cannon buff.

16. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Having both kind of seems fair IMO when you consider that NL literally holds 1 button and jerks off while Corsair actually has to try. SlimeXD

17. Eris

Eris Horny Mushroom

Nov 8, 2015
    Female
    3:47 PM
    Beginner
    Hello I came back
    My sair at 5906 clean hp (lvl 122) as i calculate, till 160 ill get 22×38 = 836 more hp by lvling.
    So 6742 hp, for 11k (cuz i will have ring to reach 12k) im missing more 4258 hp which is 4258:18 (cuz im mp washing) = 236 more washes.
    So that means i need to put 236 points on mp and then reset 1 to hp and 1 to dex? Im getting lost with my own claculations
    160 base int (around 230 with gear) and still got 60 fresh ap atm
    Another question is why should i stop using mp washing when i reach my hp goal if i can just farm more dex for dmg b4 i reset my int since 1ap on mp is 2 dex at reset?

18. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Because 1 ap on mp is NOT 2 dex at reset. HP/MP share an AP pool, STR/DEX/LUK/INT have their own AP pool. The total amount of AP you have is limited. By gaining more MP, you are not actually increasing the amount of AP you have available.

Also, you don't need to stop mp washing, you can always keep going for higher hp / mp. One thing to note is that with the new Horntail change both arms spam mana drain on you the whole fight. So, having higher than minimum MP is definitely a huge plus in regards to saving mesos on potions.

19. NotBrit

NotBrit Blue Snail

Apr 16, 2019
    Male
    NotBrit
    I/L Mage
    Hi-- just looking at some numbers for NL and Corsairs.

From my calculations I've done in the past, free-fire DPM is extremely close between NL+SE and Corsairs on-ship + SE with Corsairs coming just barely on top.
    Night Lord free-fire DPM is significantly (20-30%) higher than that of Bowmasters, unlike what is shown here.

When I did similar calculations in the past, I neglected to consider that the TT formula takes a "virtual range" not related to your displayed range (5.0 * luk * WA / 100, as opposed to the typical WA*(3.4*luk + dex)/100 for the "displayed range" similar to most other classes). The fact that you mention DEX at all for NL calculations leads me to believe that you might have used the wrong formula to calculate NL DPM. If you don't mind me asking, was this accounted for when you calculated DPM?

20. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta

1. This server has had some balance changes since i last updated my post, so the damage for SELESS NL is no longer accurate. I will need to update this.

2. This server has HEAVILY buffed bowmasters, such that their dps isn't actually that much lower than NL. (Higher crit rate, etc). Also, the bowmaster has more weapon attack than the NL because concentrate is very strong here. (Oh, that was also slightly nerfed in the last patch, but I forgot to edit that in).

Right now It seems that only the corsair calcs, and NL SE calcs are 100% accurate.

3. I mention dex here solely because an end game NL needs that dex to wear the purple dragon sleeve. It's not actually used in the calculation. I this formula to calculate the nightlord dps (average triple throw damage range (calc'd using only luk and weapon att with lucky 7 / triple throw formula) * Average Triple Throw % with Sharpeyes * 3 stars per triple throw * Shadow partner bonus * attacks per minute).

Feel free to post your calculations with the gear that i specified in my post and we can check to see if any of us is making any mistake.