1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maplelegends is hostile to new and unestablished players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bear, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    6:08 PM
    GarBear
    I feel that this server is hostile to new and upcoming players. In my experience, probably 3-4 new players out of 5 will quit before they reach 3rd job. Through hp washing issues/a leech-dominated climate, most players get frustrated, become broke, or simply fizzle out. Some of them would quit anyway once they get their fill of nostalgia, but I think some of them could be kept around if they had a different experience.

When I started, I was lucky enough to get a chaos scroll for the spring cake event. That fueled a lot of leeching/training with meso explosion etc. I was able to do things like buy a zakum helm and reach levels I had never done in my maple career. That was exciting and kept me interested in the game. Other players are not so fortunate.

Instead of having 85% of players leech to 120+, I would prefer there be an alternative route based around pqing. I feel that pqing is exceptionally more rewarding and creates long-lasting relationships with other players on the server. It provides us an opportunity to play our respective classes, examine other players and see what they are doing, and generally be social. Leeching does not provide any of those things; in essence you are not playing the game.

I suggest we consider dramatically changing the exp rates for some pqs. Perhaps something like PPQ could have its base exp touched up in addition to an increasing scale based around level. This offers an avenue to 100 that isn't dominated by WR, WS, Ulu 1, Ulu 2 leech. Players who don't have the means to purchase leech would still be able to progress through the game and these areas of the game would become more viable and therefore more populous.

Additionally we could look into adding other pqs like MPQ, CPQ, or romeo/juliet (especially since the npcs are in the game). This could help propel players further, so long as the incentive was worthwhile. APQ has and will be active because the incentive is so great (onyx apples) that even lvl 180s choose to partake. Let's take that kind of thinking and apply it to current pqs in an effort to make them more active, helping lower level players and dissuading them away from leeching.

Even someone like Nise, who is staff here, has told players to "just leech, that's what everyone does basically". Then he proceeded to look into selling and buying end-game capes worth 1b or whatever. It's easy to just say, this is the way things are, but I hope some will engage my ideas I've posted here and not just press disagree and leave.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. maybeandy

maybeandy Stone Golem

Jun 28, 2017
    Male
    Dream Land
    Inexorable
    I/L Arch Mage
    Demure
    lol did you try actually playing the game first

I've literally been playing for over a year, haven't pulled anything from Gach, and yet I complain so much less than you as I fail to see how its toxic to specifically new players. If they find old school maplestory too difficult, then try reboot.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    This is literally the reason I have to use long-winded explanations. I put time and energy into my post and you responded with nothing, engaged none of my ideas, and have basically said "harder is better".

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. maybeandy

maybeandy Stone Golem

Jun 28, 2017
    Male
    Dream Land
    Inexorable
    I/L Arch Mage
    Demure
    It's not that I dont recognize your points: I just personally find them invalid. You want changed exp rates changed to scale with leech? lol.

What about the actually broken grinding spots?
    Himes? Vikerolas?

It's not even that its toxic because people prefer leech, it's a different playstyle that was an existing mechanic in the game much like HP washing.

Maybe this server just isn't for you, buddy, but I find the server state fine.
    Mind you, I've never seen someone complain as much as you.

To quote a friend, "no one has the time to play inefficiently". Just cause the game's meta doesn't follow what you WANT to be meta, doesn't mean it doesn't work and makes it "toxic".

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Are you sure you recognize my points? You asked if I have played the game in your other post and then said "want changed exp rates changed to scale with leech?".... what?

I'm lvl 134, the things I am suggesting be changed are for players who are in the middle of the game (60-90) and hit a wall unless they buy leech, which in itself is not very fun or interactive. There's merit to what I'm saying and just because these players have quit doesn't mean they don't feel that this method is unsatisfactory. They just aren't here to tell you that.

I'm not whining so much.... I'm presenting what I believe to be an accurate state of affairs for the server. If you're going to deconstruct what I'm trying to say here into whining/complaining please leave.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Also never said the game was toxic, but I guess at this point you already made up your opinion.

I didn't even try the game at all, my opinions are invalid, I think the server is toxic, etc.

I regret spending the time and energy to post here. Hopefully someone who can read better than you can will discuss what I'm talking about.

If apq can give apples and remain a staple, active part of the game, we can consider raising incentives in already existing but dead pqs in the game. This could have an added benefit to keeping players involved and interested, instead of trying to level without leeching and finding that nobody does that here.

At PPQ, we could increase the exp at lvl 85 to be 66% more than it is at the base lvl 55. There is a concrete idea that people can consider and argue about. No more personal attacks thanks. Talk about what I'm putting here or just leave.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Manny

Manny Mushmom

Mar 7, 2017
    8:08 PM
    Manny
    Bowmaster
    Animals
    Welcome to MapleLegends where any unpopular opinion gets shitted on in the forums. I agree with what you said tbh OP.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear

I knew it was going to be bad but holy shit it was 3 minutes after I posted and he already had his prepared assault of "go find a new server, did you even play the game, I don't pull gacha and I don't complain".

9. Manny

Manny Mushmom

Mar 7, 2017
    8:08 PM
    Manny
    Bowmaster
    Animals
    Out of all the games ive played in my life the Legends community is probably the most toxic tbh. Its pretty sad too because ive played this server a fuck ton, 3rd job bowman isnt fun whatsoever tbh if you dont have a mage or funds good fucking luck leveling without your brain rotting

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    9:08 PM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I agree that it sucks that the majority of the player-base leeches right through 3rd job, essentially skipping a large part of the game. It also sucks that a lot of the economy is centered around leeching (new players trying to get enough mesos to buy it, 4th job players making their money from selling it). The standard defense against this complaint is that it was in GMS too; so if you don't like leeching you shouldn't play a nostalgic GMS private server.

This defense is also used when people complain about HP washing. However, as I have argued before, I don't think HP washing is necessary for any class for any of the nostalgic content (i.e. not toad or Neo Tokyo), it is merely a luxury/shortcut and can be avoided by just leveling up more and getting the monster book ring (and as others have argued, not every boss in this game was meant to be fought by every class, unfortunately. Ranged chars have BG and Grandpa, warriors have toad. You may personally not like that idea and I can understand that). So I personally don't agree with the complaints about washing and think this server handles that aspect of the game fine. Is HP washing necessary if you want to be the best NL on the server? Yes. But do you think someone's first character needs to become the best? I don't. I personally think too many people get caught up in the competitiveness of the game and forget to have fun.

I do think that leeching and washing were the two worst parts about old school MapleStory (and class imbalance too), and PQing was one of the most fun ways to level. There's two questions: 1) Should these aspects of the game be changed as to improve the community/longevity of the server? 2) If so, how to do that without severely damaging other aspects?
    I don't have an answer for either of those questions yet. I've been playing for 3 months now and I'm still learning about this server's community and history.

I do agree that buffing certain PQs even more than they already have would only be a good thing, especially for building community. OPQ, LMPQ and PPQ (for players beyond lv70) could all use a boost. The exp from these PQs shouldn't be close to the ridiculous exp gain from leeching though. And as I have mentioned many times, I would love for MPQ (also called Romeo&Juliet PQ) to be added for lv71-85 (check my thread). However, I am not sure if the reason MPQ is not out is because the staff don't want to release it (boo!) or because they have to code it still (it's all handled by the server not the client). If any staff can clarify this I would appreciate it. Cwkpq would be amazing as well, but that has balancing issues to be dealt with (MoN versus HTP). I have heard good arguments against adding carnival PQ, despite it being fun and nostalgic, so I'm not sold on that one yet. It would also be tricky to code.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    GMs have tried to make hp washing less of a pain by adding the Ellin ring and the monster book ring, which were good steps in the right direction. Though they don't completely remove hp washing, they are good helps. I personally am fine with the idea of hp washing, as much as I hated it, I got used to it, and have washed for a couple of months now. It's a pain for starters who have done no research on it ahead of time or don't have the time to invest into it. I can't say what plans GMs have for the future, but I choose to believe in them.

Leeching has always been an issue on pretty much all old-school servers that most people dislike. There have been a ton of discussion on this topic, and I don't think there is a viable solution to making leeching obsolete yet. I don't have many opinions toward your suggestions because, to be honest, I am tired of all the discussion around leeching. It's not like I don't care about them. It's just that I don't have the time in real life to deal with it, so I just live with it. If I had the money, I buy leech; If I had the time, I leech myself; If I don't feel like doing leech at all, just go do something else, such as farming cards, questing, or just chatting with friends. Gaming isn't suppose to be like chores. We have the ability to choose how we enjoy a game, and there is always a chance that the game just doesn't excite you anymore. I barely buy any leech on my first character (Bishop), instead, I did quests, I trained with others, etc. I do like the idea of having more party quests that don't have low level restrictions. The example you gave with APQ is definitely one of the best examples. It would be so nice to have more options like that that the high levels can also partake in.

Don't mind those toxic people. They are in all multiplayer games. I always appreciate the time people take to share their thoughts and suggestions, whether they are relevant or not.

I don't think Legends' community is the most toxic I have ever experienced. It's probably because the population of this game isn't that high compare to those official AAA games, toxicity stands out easily.

• Like Like x 2
  12. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    The message that you are trying to give about the server isn't wrong, I agree with you to that. However the facts that you have given are a little exaggerated. I'll agree that many will probably quit due to the lack of awareness, difficulty, and the grind required to become high level and potentially bossable, but it's all part of the GMS/Maplelegends adventure. Unfortunately it wasn't for everyone. Leveling up in legends in theory should be at least twice as easier due to 2x exp, and 3x quest exp. If that isn't hard enough for newcomers, then I'm afraid of their future in the server.

Your aspect of a leeching world will result in a non-socializing atmosphere is correct. This may be hard to believe, but I personally think that the majority of people don't actually leech to 120 on the first run. Very few people could afford that, and I would not have been able to to train to 135 if it wasn't for the people I have met, pq'ed, and trained with.

As per your suggestions to improve pq rates, I can see where you are coming from but where would the pride in getting to 4th job be? The hard work won't really be there. At the same time, the tough grind during those levels encourages people to spend more time making mesos, doing quests, and potentially card hunt. If you level up too quickly, you'll potentially lose the "socialness" of the server that you desire and your character won't have that many strong items because it levelled so quickly.

(open for discussion btw)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  13. maybeandy

maybeandy Stone Golem

Jun 28, 2017
    Male
    Dream Land
    Inexorable
    I/L Arch Mage
    Demure
    ?
    Sorry, could've worded it better. You essentially say you want something to match up with exp gain so that it matches with leech scaling in terms of exp gain.
    You want something that makes the plateau of the game, shorter, no?

middle of the game eh? Not even close.

Back to the main point:
    Sorry that that's the way MMO's like MapleStory are designed to be: progressively more difficult.

I personally think the game's already adapted enough to match lower scaling and ease into end-game. If people find this portion of the game difficult already, then they'll already give up before long.
    There isn't a pressuring need for it: there's method's to ease it enough, and if people opt for the leeching option, then so be it.

I'm not even directly deconstructing it solely to grind down what you're saying to complaints. I'm saying you are complaining.

Congrats, you hit 13X. I've hit 170 on two characters, and yet I still don't see the urgency for this "quality of life" change you're proposing. It still remains untoxic in my eyes towards lower level players because the game "suddenly ramps in difficulty".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. LonZohair

LonZohair Orange Mushroom

Oct 17, 2017
    Male
    WestGOAT
    I/L Wizard
    Honor
    Washing aside, pq exp has been scaled a bit.

But I really think there needs to be options to train as well, leech should never be the best way to level up.

I'm not saying it should be easy to level, but you shouldn't have to make a mage just to play the game as a different class.

Just because you haven't experienced toxicity doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I have seen a lot of toxicity in this server, it happens, let's not pretend it doesn't exist and try to move on.

- WestGOAT / Elation (Zo)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    3:08 AM
    Moderator Post
    All I can leave on this topic right now is this bit. If you believe its right now the most toxic community than you should have seen 2016. Personally at least it was much and much worse than it is now. There was about 80 people left daily, where 1 big guild was more or less 'dominating' the server and being competitive against all the other guilds and users. As far as I am aware that's currently not going on. Maybe a bit, but surely not as bad as back then. Even than I disagree that Legends is the most toxic community. I've been lurking/playing countless servers and I have seen much worse.

This is a multiplayer game though, and you can't escape a multiplayer game without competitive mindsets.

However, I guess my opinion don't count much because its probably seen as bias for my own server, haha.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. MarcJacobs

MarcJacobs One forum account each person only please.

Sep 5, 2018
    Thank you GarBear for coming out and voicing your opinion from this echo chamber of a forum.

When I first started this server, I remembered the party aspect of old school 2008 GMS where people would fight and spam 'HAVE TRACKER' for LPQ, KPQ, OPQ, etc. But when I first joined Legends I saw some of the content I was looking forward to wasn't even implemented. Carnival PQ1, Carnival PQ2, Ellin PQ, Romeo & Juliet, CWKPQ (was looking forward to this especially), and other half-completed content around Maple World. As someone who looked to pq I felt disheartened that a major aspect of old GMS was missing.

As an aside to the part quest dilemma, another issue revolves around once you reach higher level end game area. If Kimberly wants to boost the population of the server, artificially by vote manipulating or not, she should look towards adding more bosses and content around the world. Shaolin Temple was added almost four months by now and there is still no Temple boss because "like when Shaolin came out in CMS will be released later" which is a pretty abysmal excuse. It is no surprise many of your higher level players quit because there is nothing game mechanic engaging in this game to do anymore. With the price of books dropping and people running 6 man hts under 2hours, what else is there to do endgame wise besides reach 200 and quit? Some people still do bosses such as Grandpa, Toad, anego, etc but even then Grandpa can be done with 2 people only and Toad can only completed by a few 170+ players who still play. How long has it been since Neo Tokyo has been promised? What about CWKPQ? And Pink Bean. Personally, besides to compete with Skeles early on in the server for a new place to grind, MM and their piercing arrow, fighting lyka, dodo, lilynouch, and with the release of Shaolin Temple, why would you implement Temple of Time without Pink Bean? Lilynouch isn't even complete, there is no damage reflection.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Should have joined summer of 2017 and you had that experience. Unfortunately that complain is unfixable without having a bigger user base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    What ''wall'' in the middle of the game? If you wanna grind or PQ go ahead and do it, i had no problem training on these levels because i frankly do not care that i level slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Solstice
    I'm actually pretty surprised this has so many dislikes, you're advocating for more PQs/PQ xp bonus (alternatives for leech) none of which I personally see as a negative thing. Promoting PQs promotes actual gameplay and not just afk leech which is just as you said, isn't actually playing the game.
    Improving PQ xp bonus would be iffy to work on since if it's boosted too much then it might kill the leech market for those specific PQ levels.

I don't know about others but the only reason I kept playing the game when I was a new player was my friends, and the only thing that kept me going weeks/months later was my friends.
    Social interaction is such key for keeping and obtaining new players.

edit: what the fuck am i pressing that makes my reply post before im done MapleF4

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    What do you mean by MM and piercing arrow btw, I can't get the connection with that and the point you're trying to make

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.