1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maplelegends is hostile to new and unestablished players.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bear, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    2:35 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Would nullifying leech at this point really cause such outrage?
    It seems worth closely examining the risk/reward on this.

2. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    11:35 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    OPQ/PPQ was buffed, i would love to see LPQ exp buffed as well. it sucks having an entire lvl 35-40 party in LPQ and none of us can hit alishar LOL. because honestly, the exp isnt TOO bad, but it could be increased :3 HiyoHiyo and i have talked about it before as well. after running LPQs a bit

3. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    PQs arent the issue, its finding the people :(

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Slime

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    thx GM, i thought gm nise wouldnt reply.
    so whats going to happen then? if i remember correctly you arent changing your stance on washing and the communitys opinion of leech meta is divided as if it was politics. but at the same time it looks like youre losing customers from your competition at this rate if anything isnt done. i havent tried royals since 2016-2017ish, but croosades is honestly really good, and i wouldnt be surprised if new players on legends jumped to croosades shortly after. if it doesnt hurt to ask what are some of the options you've considered which doesnt involve a wipe?

5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:35 PM
    Moderator Post
    Everyone have their preferences of a server. However, if you start copying a different server just to compete you end up no longer being unique at all. No longer unique and lower rates is even worse than the current state. It's true we added something regarding washing, but we added something without completely removing washing, nor is that ever going to happen.

Also, the concerns of Croosade was a thing from months ago. Croosade is currently struggling as well, but for much different reasons.

6. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Fuck I want this to die because I give up but your points are completely countered by APQ which is...

Boring as heck: running through the lava stage for the 100th time?
    Not static: Every 6 hours you can TRY to get an onyx apple. Oftentimes you get no apples which means your time is wasted.
    A huge waste of time: If someone DC's, especially because you can only do it every 6 hours. In OPQ you can restart and try it again. It sucks but APQ is way more punishing.

APQ is and will remain active. The incentive for it is so high with apples. Why can't you recognize that if incentives for other content were improved, they too would see an improvement in activity? Before someone counters with there is no level cap for apq...

Maybe we should lift some of the caps like PPQ. Let someone who is 110 do it too, who cares?
    OR, even still 55-100 is a huge pool of players. OPQ and others have limits due to level constraints and I concede they can only be helped so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    Another issue is that I think it isn't advertised enough that the PQs were buffed (a loooot of new players never check the forums). Many players don't go to PQs because they assume others players won't be there and they assume they will get garbage exp anyways. Could you make a MapleTip advertising that OPQ/PPQ were buffed? It could help this issue. Also as you have mentioned, not everyone PQed in GMS and they might not even know about/forgot about OPQ/PPQ/LMPQ etc.

I think PPQ gives good exp now from 55-70, competitive with GS2 grinding if you have a good party, but OPQ needs to be buffed further. You may have given it 6 buffs now (Which tells you how garbage it was in GMS, hence why no one has nostalgia for it) but it is a long PQ that needs more of a reward for finding 4 other players that don't dc/mess up halfway through (and if you don't know what you're doing you could ruin a OPQ run and you need to quit & re-enter).

Because no staff member wants to tell me anything about MPQ (like if you even want to add it eventually) which would be good exp (210k per run in GMS, so at least 420k per run here) for lv71-85 (which are heavily-leeched levels), PPQ could also give additional exp for players lv70-100 as many others in this thread and elsewhere have suggested.

LMPQ is also dead and could use a buff, as well as maybe lowering the party requirement to 2 people (this would make it more appealing and really only 2 people are necessary).

These changes I am proposing aren't intended to make the game easier, they are meant to encourage PQing which helps build community. As a new player I made 90% of my friends by PQing and we made our own guild with the people we met at PQs. I wouldn't still be on this server if it wasn't for that community and the monster book. The more opportunities for this to happen for other new players, the better, we can all agree.

I agree but I think any 'examination' is going to be the leech-sellers screaming to not get rid of it because 'muh economy' even though leech prices are already tanking, meaning even more players are going to choose to buy leech now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Apples broke the difficulty of this server by 50 times. Apples are disgusting, and I remember people kept begging me to add them. Once they got added suddenly a lot of people told me how much easier the server has became. I wonder why.

The reason people do APQ is because apples are beyond broken. Not good, but broken. It was clear they were made by Neckson in order for people to get the overpriced marriage coupons. It was the first major sign of pay2win in Maple.

EDIT: Of course APQ is much superior than the previous shitty marriage system way we had to get apples. That was much worse.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

7:35 PM
    Is this thread really achieving anything except dividing a small community even more?
    All i see are people complaining back and fourth without any real, viable solutions. This topic has been visited, and revisted, and revisted time and time again. People are treating each other like shit throughout the thread, some calling each other out which in regular threads would get censored instantly. Almost every post has been written in a passive aggressive way or straight up aggressive manner.

Id also like to add, staff is currently recruiting a developer. Why? because currently they are lacking one or have some with certain talents but are missing in other areas. What does this mean? Well idk, you can keep begging for PQs such as MPQ (WHICH HAS BEEN ASKED FOR FOR YEARS) but without anyone to code it, theyre limited.

I dont want to seem like a bitch here, but this thread is getting no where.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    Since you're a former staff member you probably have the insight: so you can confirm the reason MPQ is not added is because it still needs to be coded? I have been asking and no one will give me an answer to such a simple question :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

7:35 PM
    I havent been staff for over a year hense why i dont know if people on staff currently have skills that arent being advertised. But if you look at the staff list, youll see. No developers. Except navi who has been MIA for 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Solstice
    I get the "it's too late to fix" but it's like, in the grand scheme of things everybody wants the server to keep going right? So let's say ML goes on for at least another 3 years, if there is a change now for whatever mechanic then in 3 years it would be a decision that was made halfway into the server's lifetime. I think last year this was the same argument for keeping hp-washing the same but monster book ring made it more bearable which is v nice and honestly it's not that bad unless you're aiming for like HB-less toad or something like that.
    The only issue is if this is the best decision, and it's not guaranteed that the decision wouldn't shorten the server's lifetime.

But staff has always gone through with decisions that they thought would be best for the server's health, despite outrage so I don't really think not fixing or tweaking or providing a small alternative to a dumb mechanic due to outrage should matter.

I actually don't remember how much you get from leeching every 30 minutes but I thought boosting PQ xp to reach maybe 50~70% of 2 hit leech would be nice but this would be really really iffy since it'd need to be based off avg leech xp and PQs have a decently sized level range + amount of time to complete varies.

jw, did HT ever get reverted back to actually being difficult or is it still GMS-like? I think there's a huge discrepancy between what's considered difficult in this server and what's just time consuming. HT (if it's still changed 2 be GMS) is a big sack of hp that's just time-consuming, not difficult. Not having apples would only make it take more time.

:( it usually turns out like this... there were some nice posts but most of them boiled down to "if you can't handle the way the server meta is, then quit"

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    Hmm if it's broken perhaps I can add a suggestion.

Let's move apples out of APQ entirely and let them be a VERY rare drop from certain high level mobs or end game bosses exclusively. You think they are broken and everyone here is SO in love with the idea of making the game as difficult as possible right?

These same hard-nosed players, scoffing at the thought of improving the early/mid game so we can retain more players would be OUTRAGED at the thought of apples becoming rarer. 4m+ for my apples?! How will I do my 4th HT run today? I vote against such a horrible measure!

If it affects them and what they want to do on the server, they will fight it tooth and nail. If it helps players who are new and unestablished they will come into this thread and tell us to settle down and grind harder. The divide could not be more black and white. Yeah you aren't going to please everyone, but if you aren't careful you will just be listening to these end-game players who have no regard for the server's continued health or new/developing players.

14. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
    I wish fixing apples would be this easy. Apples as a reward from APQ is a key factor from old school MS and would feel misplaced if it were removed. On top of that, the item is so heavily treasured by high level players that Kimmy and staff would end up with an entirely new wave of outrage with this aggressive of a change.

Here's a thought (though I'm not sure if it's possible to code). What about a 1 hour restriction per use on apples (time-leapable). Here's why:
    - This would significantly effect its impact to major functions (bossing) without inherently changing the item.
    - The feel of this change is less massive and gives the impression that the original content has been preserved.
    - It gives a buccs an extra avenue for usefulness in the bossing realm.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    My experience has been that being at lvl 120+ is significantly easier/more rewarding to play than being at 70-110. Unless you choose to leech, those levels are soul-sucking and my class was one of the "easier" 3rd job climbers.

The issue isn't that I don't have the commitment or mindset. I would have entire days this summer where I couldn't find a priest to duo with me when I used Meso explosion. It didn't matter how much time I WANTED to pour into the game to try and progress. I went to himes and tried to solo with meso explosion for a while. It's just a shitty part of the game because people are leeching through it.

Are pqs the answer? I don't know, but I'm trying to advocate for something that can at least TRY to compete with leeching. Someone said 50% of a level for each pq... that was incorrect, I meant 50% as efficient as leech but that's just a random number.

There was a priest named Pixiee who was looking for help getting to 120 when she was 110. I was happy to oblige on my 13x shadower and we went to skeles. All she needed to do was HS me and chill. At first she was content, but then about 10 minutes in claimed that this was OK but not as good as leech. She also died multiple times because sitting on a rope and pressing HS is challenging?...

Anyway she bails to go look for leech. Does she have the commitment to reach 4th job and beyond? It's just weird to me, people complaining about making the game easier and how these players will inevitably demand more concessions. Ok, so we'd rather they take the leech highway and see no issue with that? Again, at least if they had some content to PQ or grind with that was more accelerated, they would actually play the game.

Statements like yours and the whole theme of this server are a facade. It isn't hard to leave my computer and have someone play the game for me. And to have that be really the ONLY viable method of leveling for lots of the game is pretty terrible from a player experience standpoint.

16. OP
    OP
    Bear

Bear Brown Teddy

May 25, 2018
    Male
    GarBear
    My final post and closing argument is...

the server aims to be one thing and the players here are defending what they believe to be it's goal, namely being a pure v62, hardcore, nop2win, balls to the wall maplestory.

Then in the same breath, they will defend leech to the bone and trash any attempts to help players actually play the game. The current state of the game is incongruent with the philosophical goal/ideal that you are all professing. There is nothing challenging or hardcore about paying someone to play the game for you. Yet this is how most players play through the game. IF you feel so strongly about protecting the integrity of the server, this should bother you immensely.

Admit that this server fails to be what it claims to be and make other avenues worthwhile. Make it so players can seamlessly find participants for PQ or play the game themselves with some degree of efficiency and not be left behind. Then we would have players logging on to continue progressing their characters in a meaningful and interactive way. The way a game is supposed to be played.

OR, continue dying on this hill of "hard game good, easy game bad", while leech circumvents everything you all claim to stand for and believe in. We will continue to bleed players who are forced to quit their character, make a bishop, save up for int gear, save up for washing, buy leech, run out of money, talk to no one except their leecher, etc. etc. etc. Maybe they don't have the commitment you all possess. Or maybe they realize this sucks and they deserve something better with their time investment.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I've received requests from OP to close the thread.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.