1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do paladins need a buff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Sep 3, 2020.

1. fahad

fahad Mushmom

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    9:42 AM
    Hakai
    Beginner
    From lv 10-120 there probably the same, once pallies hit lv 123 they have acb which is decent for grinding at an early lv, 133 to max HH to train at shaolin
    I would argue that after lv 140, hero’s have easier time progressing in the game due to being able to join cwkpq, at an early lv, unlike pallies
    Which is a really good spot meso wise, they can also carry there weight at shaolin even at a lower lv, if they can find same lv partner

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:42 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    GMs been nerfing anything that a Paladin or a mage can abuse for exp or anything.

Can GMs have a bit more feedback in the balance? Like addressing issues of a class or debating with other people about the matter?[/QUOTE]
    i think your first message.. broke? It's half a quote :eek:

As for having a bit more feedback do you mean like us GIVING more feedback on what we think? Or the reverse? About GETTING more feedback/data points?

3. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    8:42 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    i think your first message.. broke? It's half a quote :eek:

As for having a bit more feedback do you mean like us GIVING more feedback on what we think? Or the reverse? About GETTING more feedback/data points?[/QUOTE]
    Having a more open discussion with the comunity about topics like for example paladin buffs and what we could do for them, or any buff for bucc hahah.
    I know you can't say what is planed but just more debate, most of the talk happens between players, or thats what I feel o.o

4. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    2:42 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I can kind of see why they don't sometimes. For many proposed changes, there would be two parties of thought- those who want everything to remain as-is, "our goal is to be authentic server not fun server, are we going to be like gms???" and those who want changes, big changes if possible, "keep the game fresh, knights of cygnus when". I mean look at the recent discussion and vote on the removal of one-of-a-kind tag on zak helms to stimulate economy. The vote was split almost completely in half. If every post had to go through the democratic process of a community discussion and vote, it would take pretty long to get stuff out the door.

Of course, corollary to that is to not be surprised if some of those undiscussed changes are met with some confusion and even backlash.

5. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Ohhhh hmmm well I think a lot of what can be done and limitations were mentioned (maybe not in this thread but another one). There have been way too many Paladin threads and I think our responses get buried beneath :p But so far what I've seen are HH casting time reduction, HH revert to 10 seconds, advance charge buff, holy charge buff.
    • About cast time reduction, I think I brought up the issue of corsair battleship. That while it's possible, sometimes it just glitches out entirely. Like I can't cast attacks once I dismount from ship sometimes. So feasibility is a concern there. But not a bad idea ofc
    • Revert to 10 seconds, would mean concerns about HH muling return (at least in the opinion of some people), which is unfortunate to Pally mains
    • Advance charge buff, might be good for grinding but you'd need to find that perfect number. So that Paladin's cleave doesn't actually become a thing. Since they're supposed to be single target and what differentiates them from hero & dk. If done correctly could be good, but there's some concerns/dangers with overbuffing ACB. Or not buffing it enough that it still remains a pretty lackluster toolkit (in bossing situations)
    • Holy charge buff, one of the concerns here is then you'd need way more levels & SP to get to full build. Especially with a lot of pally mains saying that HH is still essential to their grind. Since you'd have to max acb, blast, stance, HH, holy charge to unlock full potential. It starts to become similar issue as buccs where their potential only gets unlocked so far in.

As for buccs, this isn't the right thread so I can't really scroll up and see the suggestions quickly :p I've seen a bunch of suggestions on forums. Some of them had feasibility issues like difficulty to code. Others were problems of numbers. Buccs have this weird class identity of support, sort of cleave, but not good enough single target... so from reading forums and talking to people, the consensus is that buccs need buffs. BUT theres no real solid consensus on what their class identity should be. And therefore, no certainty in direction, for what kind of buffs would be the most appropriate. We've been definitely testing around and discussion tons of stuff, and that's why it takes a while for the bucc side of things unfortunately :(

Range classes are fairly easy to balance since their class identity is very much streamlined. NLs = lots of self-utility and damage. Corsairs = literally just damage. Archers = support class with damage. And creating a ranking amongst these classes are easier to do. Especially since all of them are lacklustre in grinding xD

Melee is much more difficult :( If bucc single target is good, what differentiates them from a Pally. Since you have a support buff, and Pallies don't, that would just make buccs the de facto better class. If we improve bucc cleave, then it sort of eclipses that of Dark Knights. If we improve quality of life and maybe i-frames, then its like shadowers. Improving all of them is of course out of the question since that would make them the best amongst all the melees. Just some of the thought processes we go through when looking at balancing. Hopefully that's the type of response you were looking for KurayamiLoveKurayamiLove

PS: Note that I was just listing considerations for each suggestion. None of these comments are "proof" that we're DOING or NOT DOING one of the listed changes.

• Like Like x 3
  6. fahad

fahad Mushmom

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    9:42 AM
    Hakai
    Beginner
    As a pally main I would like to see a holy charge buff, even if it means maxing it later throughout the journey, if that makes us more of a balanced pick compared to other classes.
    Also it’s heartwarming seeing our comments taken into account regarding balance Changes.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    7:42 AM
    There's nothing wrong with requiring more SP to get the full build because unlike buccs we have useless skills in our 4th job skill set. Fire charge is still decently strong and holy charge can be one of those skills you add into when you finally go into late game bossing like toad and HT.

Bearing in mind holy charge maxes out at 20 it's really only 7 levels extra. If a paladin goes 2h sword they will max HH -> blast -> acb -> stance -> holy charge (Or in any other order they prefer) and this brings them to 160. To be frank anyone below 160 would be carried at HT unless they're super funded so having holy charge maxed out at 160 isn't too bad.

In the scenario of a 1h bw + shield pally user, they will eventually max everything good by 196 (HH, Blast, Holy charge, ACB, Stance, Achilles, guardian MW20, Rush) which gives them 4 levels in the end to put into whatever (hi monster magnet, I wish I could use you more but no thanks). A 2h pally user can ditch guardian and max everything by 186 giving them 14 levels of spare SP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I'd just really like to know....is it REALLY worth just destroying Paladin players to stop this problem? No right or wrong answer really, maybe to the balance team HH was such a glaring concern that it had to die by hook or by crook even at the expense of an entire class of players. I think it's pretty overpowered and somewhat silly as well, but like...does it REALLY negatively impact the server? I'm not saying it doesn't by the way, I'd just like to know how is it so bad that paladins have to eat a big nerf just to stop the issue.

Anyway, I'll talk about the holy charge thing- it might help. Not even worried about the SP concerns.

But...as I've posted multiple times before, you can buff blast to 700%, make holy charge 200%, make all HT body parts weak to holy, and raise the damage cap to 300k and I still wouldn't return. Reasoning is that damage doesn't bother me as much as the fact that gameplay-wise we just got stripped down.

That's what I think anyway. I'd understand if the other paladin mains are more concerned about their damage and overall viability, but my two cents is that I play this game for enjoyment, and clicking one button just isn't it for me (I strongly dislike cwkpq for this reason since I can literally fall asleep doing it).

• Like Like x 1
  9. rambo

rambo Pink Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    21blvck
    Guys, chill, palas were trash in GMS anyways [​IMG]

10. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    NiseNise What if Buccaneer had the best 1vs1 dpm in the melee category, with Paladin being close (including good sance for bucc)? Then we have a class that is harder to wash and has no defensive skills what so ever (Yeah I know I.Freames, those dont save you from burtal hits like Nameless claw swipe,HT tail, or Toad), a harder class to play, not technically hard since if yo uget used to the job you can perform well but you need to be consistent do a lot of damage tests to be whats the best combo and try to apply the optimal strategy. Supporwise Im not sure how much value SI has now most ppl just want to rock SE with ranged and forget about melees (the latest HT update makes ppl fear a bit the cleave) anywhere else SI is ok altho a bit worse cos you cant SI mages, TL is a super nice skill altho is more of a safety net than a skill you should have in the party (is super neat if you got an echo user but welp Mules are a thing). Paladin also has a bit of an identity crisis I wish they were the tank of the game like they later made em to be but atm they are equaly tanky to a hero, and HH was such an awesome tool they had (the old 10 sec cap dmg) but you know mules have ruined that so I'm not sure how to aboard paladins :/

Edit:
    I also think harder jobs or jobs that require you to pay more atention should be stronger. Is funy but noways in mapelstory the more combo heavy jobs that also need to manage cooldowns are the strongest in the game yet they are still the least played jobs, I think people will just rather do a bit less dmg and feel more comfortable in the end than embrace this kind of playstiles.

11. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    I've already mentioned that you can still use acb quite often in HT when most of the limbs alive so you still have two skills to use :) (Blast and ACB).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I wonder if a ACB range buff to match crusher or and barndish woudl be good. I mean acb cleave still better than buccs cleave x-x so no worries on gettign outdmg there

13. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I think them becoming "best single target DPM" would be hard to justify because of just how much they bring to the team as a support class. With TL and SI, they would have to be a MUST HAVE if they have damage + support. That would make Pallies undesirable even further, since no support buff but weaker damage. And consequently it would probably negatively affect Heroes. Since they have no support buff, would be out-damaged by buccs. And could potentially be out-damaged by DKs too (at hyper-end game on apple or gelt). Though you could argue that's balanced by their strong early game, but that sort of change would reallyyyy shake up things. If you did want to go down that route, bucc cleave would need to be heavily nerfed unfortunately.

I think the value of a bucc in bosses are still really important. The whole fearing cleave thing imo is something that trickles down from hyper-optimized play imo. Like in a 6 man squad, having more cleave than single target WILL make life more difficult. Not impossible, but definitely harder. However in a 10-12 man run, having the traditional 1 ranged, 1 cleave party is still very do-able. I say this after having run a 1 ranged and 1 cleave party with hero, bucc, dk, and an archmage. It's doable so long as you know the strength of your team and can adjust based on it. If you're weaker, and can't burst down the arm or rotate properly, then being able to make the call to apple will help mitigate it. I don't think cleave is dead by any means, and that would also mean the importance of SI isn't as well :p

14. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    What makes a job desirable also comes down to the playstyle. Papewirght jobs will awlays have room in maple and will be prefeared by 90% of the comunity, there is a reason why hero is far more popular than DK and most ppl don't even know what a bucc does or how they function at all. When comes to support skills SE is the most desired party skill in the game (even more now that you cant SI a bishop) making SE users far more desirable than a SI user, I would even say that SE users get more of a pass when comes to dealing damage since most ppl value them for the buff rather than the damage that they can output. as a Buccaneer you need to do damage to prove that you are worth the slot on the party (and thats why sadly no matter how strong you are you will be most likely relegated to 10+ men HT runs) . Now how do we comapre to the other melee classes, specifically paladin and hero, Hero is a very simple and straightfoward class to play, the supprot they bring is low-ish cos of rage but their cleave is the best in the game + how tanky they are they can easily be a seduce mule (My bucc has 30k hp yet doing this task is a headache at times, specially with the new HT changes) they pefectly can fit on a 6 man run in HT and do pretty well on any boss pretty much, specially on CWKP. Paladins on the other hand they had some neat cleave with the old HH (I wish it could be damage based now so equiped paladins can do a lot of dmg with it again) but is a class that needs to be fixed on that regard, also they do far more cleave damage than buccaner tho o.o with jsut acb so maybe giving them some range on that to match brandish would be neat. Bucc cleave in normal form comes mostly from your 1vs1 skill meaning the damage you speard among parts is reduced to cheap damage, transformed si a bit different since sntach does more dmg vs3 than demolition (but all the 3 target cleaves are unrealaible since if the HT wings are dead the arm goes down and you miss it making demolition better, same on CWKPQ where the thief boss jumps a lot unless is buged) and when you cleave 4 parts snatch is super neat altho overal you are doing cheap damage to every part in comparition to lets say DK and Hero that do full dmg on every part.
    Now a thing I wanted to say o.o even if Bucc had 100% stance all the time at HT their damage wouldnt be that great and I would sugest a damage buff along some stance buff, but well we will see what comes on the next balance patch.
    Is nice to have a direct discussion with a GM like this (I enjoy discusisng points of views and balance ideas with everyone) kinda sad that were doing this on a paladin post o.o. Paladins do need soemthign ofc get em buffs hehe

Edit: most ppl wold rather mule bucc x-x sadly as well

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    I guess even at 6.7m dpm 40 you're undesirable for a 6man HT. Back to 10man's you go!

16. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Any SE user does more dpm than you and as I said SI is not as desirable (same with HB lately since a lot of ppl wash a lot) also your dpm will go down once u need to kill the arms and you are not transformed something that may not be accounted in the dpm 40. Also you have to lower your range to compensate for the fact that you baerly have stance. So much effort to do less than others that just spend the whole run wathcing tv

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    12:42 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  18. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    11:42 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Surprisingly DK is actually the most popular high level warrior currently, counting every warrior who's leveled since August 1st of this year between levels 150-199.99. They beat out Heroes by just 7 users though, so it is pretty close. I'm not sure what that says about people, but it's a bit weird that the most popular of the three is the lowest damage and most difficult to effectively use. Buccs and DKs are in a bit of a similar boat when it comes to damage/difficulty, so it's a bit odd that they're less popular when both have the same draws as technical supports. People should try buccs out more.

It also doesn't sound correct to say there's any major difference in the training ability between all 3 of the warriors late in the game at 7f. They're all relatively the same, with a few small differences. DKs have the best range with good damage with Dragon Fury hitting 6 targets[250% damage x 2 for zerk x 5 for weapon multiplier]. Charged Blow for Paladins actually beats Dragon Fury in terms of pure DPS, but with less range[350% damage x 1.75 for Fire Charge x 4.6 for weapon multiplier], along with mixing in HH when available and Blast for leftover targets. Heroes are probably the worst off being limited to only Brandish being limited by it's poor range and limit at 3 targets, but high damage on the 3 targets. DKs have that option too but it's noticeably more difficult than just going Fury with a Pole-arm.

19. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Is eve harder to find a Bucc with that average damage as well, efficient and strong ppl are not as easy to find for any job. Could say teh same about good bishops that can carry sed even tho they are very needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Kinda weird since most ppl rather pick the easier job hero that functiosn very similar. And come on all DK lovers liek us hate/love the class so evey DK that plays DK should only count as half