1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Anniversary Event 2021 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    5:31 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious

A "Backroom" refers to this exactly, a panel of players who are "in the know" of future changes, similar to a balance team but with less responsibility but can also create influence moving forward.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    2:31 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I understand that, and my joke was that you wouldn't be invited. :V

Edit: Sorry that was more toxic than funny.

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:31 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    The final language in these threads are read by all balance team members + staff members before they're released though. It's usually drafted up collectively, with one of the team members spearheading the initial writing/word vomit (which is usually me, but not always me) :p It then gets combed through by those who were involved in the discussions so as to try to make it as clear as possible for our players.

Re: advisory board & early leaks. This comes from a time before I was staff, but I've heard that when we had a Tespia server where testers applied and helped us with bug testing for patches, there were a number of leaks at the time. So even with a smaller group of people that are vetted through, esp. if they're not directly involved in the decision making process, there's still a lingering worry of leaks. Which in turn hurts the staff reputation & professional image we've tried to cultivate.

Also, I think in an ideal scenario, the balance team would be that trusted advisory board. They would be members of the community that have been background checked (eg. ban history) that go through a rigorous application process and are confirmed to know what they're talking about.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    ok?

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. Holp

Holp Master Chronos Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    7:31 PM
    kKayo
    Shadower
    Toot
    In regards to Dunas, I feel like not all bosses need an EXP incentive to run. If you like the boss for what it is and gives, you will run it.
    I believe some bosses should be there just to run for the fun of it (collection purposes, chairs etc).
    Just because it's in the same line (NT Line) doesn't mean it should be equally rewarding. They can be there for different purposes.
    If EXP was the biggest problem here, people should be happy that it even got a change in the right direction (EXP Buff) instead of it being left at a standstill.
    The impression I get from reading some comments is that a majority don't even like to run Dunas solely because of the effort it takes to kill versus other bosses and it not being 'fun'.
    If that's the case, there really should be no point in running it at all if it's not 'fun'.
    You can always use the time in Dunas to converse with friends (esp during DRs). :sleep:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yes, but the last page of posts seem to allude to a transparency issue, to which I think an advisory board beyond the existing balance team could be helpful. The discussions don't even have disclose specific changes in development, per se, but could simply involve open-ended questions about certain topics/problems. This would show to the community that the balance team is aware and actively working on/discussing things behind the scenes - and this is the transparency I think people are asking for - instead of giving nebulous [redacted] responses, meme posts, or radio silence.

Regarding the Tespia client and subsequent leaks - I feel like that doesn't exactly relate to my suggestion as those players were given open access to everything upfront. That is a faulty system that relies on entirely on trust and is most definitely susceptible to exploitation/corruption.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  7. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    This is true, alot of people run Horntail without Horntail Pendant buyers and also get really bad drops from it and yet they still continue to go.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. RayF

RayF Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    Male
    Bishop
    This is exactly why I'm upset about these changes. I really liked how there were loopholes and innovative ways to play this game and get rich if you truly wanted to be sweaty and grind for it. I was trash at this game back in GMS because I was a kid who was too stupid to use the internet and search shit up. Last year I decided to make an SI mule and leeched it all the way up to 106 until I found out SI was getting nerfed for mages. That frustrated me so much that I had wasted hours of time and effort all for nothing, so I took a 6 month hiatus from maple. Then now that I've come back and I had the motivation to make a sweeper mule to make meso like the other leechers I see, it gets nerfed again before I could even use it! This game is already unbalanced as is, with some classes needing to HP wash a ton to be able to fight the end game boss, and those same characters doing a lot more dmg than other classes. I just accepted that Maplestory is that sort of game. So I don't understand why this is even a change to be made in order to "balance" things? Why are mages the sole ones being punished when they're the ones literally putting in work to level other people up who can just sit there and do nothing? What else is the point of a mage if not to farm meso? (other than being boring support role in a boss). The whole trade-off of leeching is supposed to be taking a cut to your own exp but getting more money in return for your time?

And that's not even where I have the biggest problem. What about all the people who already exploited years of these strategies and got rich off of it? Isn't there now just an even bigger gap between them and someone who's just trying to claw his way up the economy like I am? I'm very frustrated with the fact that it is even harder now to catch up with people who played this game earlier on and have already reaped the benefits of the doors you're closing on us now. It would also be SUPER helpful if we got a heads up from a while back that these changes were probably going to be implemented. I've been burned twice now by an in-game strat that I've wanted to implement, but was nerfed the moment I am finally about to try it. That's the thing I'm most annoyed at. It would be nice to not waste my time bothering with certain metas if I knew the maplelegends team was just going to cuck me with updates when I'm getting close to tasting the end product. Sorry if I come across as rude in any part of this, just hate wasting time and feeling like a sucker is all.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    3:31 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    The criticism is that balance team members basically cannot reveal anything about internal staff discussions, so the balance team doesn't really do anything to remedy transparency.

11. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    3:16 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Great work ML team! Looking forward to the changes and future changes to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    11:31 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Will currently existing PQ rewards like the pirates hat and goddess wristband have their stats increased or will they remain the same?

• Like Like x 1
  13. nanzai

nanzai Mano

Apr 19, 2020
    Male
    5:31 PM
    nanzai
    Shadower, Beginner
    HT definitely out of the argument it has good EXP and drops. It of course isn't always fat splits.

I agree on this as I oppose the sweeper nerf. Utilizing a sweeper just requires much more multi-client control which isn't really just relax and ez mesos. (maybe except ulu2 which is really easy) I basically needed to keep switching clients and keystroking non-stop while doing petris. I don't sell leech because I don't want to wait for one complete hour just to get partners and I don't have the time. What I'm trying to say is there're hardwork paid by people who used sweepers as well. Now it's just taken away.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    People always bring nostalgia and GMS into balance changes like these, but in GMS you could only open 1 client at a time, so all those multiclient arguments and being able to do those in GMS is not true; you couldn't. Don't try tell me you used 2 pc's while playing GMS in 2006 because I won't believe you.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    true nostalgia is when I play maple full screen :)

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    True
    False. You make more money farming ulu 2 RAW with a meso up mule compared to a 90min 5 man run with 1mil pot cost.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Chrisss

Chrisss Horny Mushroom

Oct 21, 2020
    Male
    2102 Top Floor of Roppongi Mall
    ChrisBS
    Bishop
    Rogue
    This looks all so exciting. Now imagine if Buccaneers were able to use Barrage and Dragon Strike on Super Transformation. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Scylla

Scylla Orange Mushroom

Oct 10, 2019
    Female
    Scylla
    Night Lord
    Lotus
    Absolutely love all the changes here, I think these decisions will be very good for the long term health of the economy of the server. I am also very glad you guys got to cross some pesky bugs that has been around forever off your list :p

Thank you for all your hard work and the time you guys put into this game for us, you are the best! Hope you have a smooth sailing for this patch, don't overdo it and remember to take some breaks!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
  19. KurayamiHS

KurayamiHS Orange Mushroom

Mar 8, 2021
    Female
    Bishop
    Enjoy mage and the fun AOE skill.
    Mages should be always not for money but for self exp reason.
    Even when we cannot(or forget) find a buyer, we should be keep on training.
    Never stop our steps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:31 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Really off topic, but I've always wondered... are you related with KurayamiLoveKurayamiLove by any chance? Or is it just a coincidence

• Funny Funny x 8